• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by brenna98
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 months ago

Now available.

Dave and I discuss Sterns Quicksilver in depth. We ran long so I have released it in 2 parts.

Thanks to all who have started listening to us.

Looks like most people are finding us on Apple podcast.

#2 8 months ago

Post Links?

#5 8 months ago

Lets just say episode #5 is what you shouldn't do to your Quicksilver.

Beware explosive commentary. =)

#6 8 months ago

Nice work guys. I really enjoyed the episode and look forward to the finale.

As you said, Quicksilver has such a great sound package. It’s unfortunate that no video or audio recording does it justice. Unless I missed it, I was surprised you didn’t mention the escalating pitch of the background sound as you spell Quicksilver, or the special sound it makes when you have one letter remaining, or the way the tempo increases as you continue to play after collecting all letters.

Another interesting thing about QS is the star rollover in the top arch. People ask me why it’s there. The reason is because of the way the game handles extra balls...

As we know, spelling QUICK lights extra ball, but if you don’t collect, it’s carried over to the next ball. So on the next ball, if you collect extra ball, then spell QUICK afterwards, you will have extra ball waiting ‘in queue’ to be collected on the next ball.

If you tilt or plunge and drain without scoring points, the game gives the ball back, and the shoot again light will still be flashing. No, the rollover isn’t there to make sure you don’t get the ball back if you drain.

The shoot again light flashes until you score points. At the start of your extra ball, if you were to plunge the flashing extra ball lane skillfully, without hitting the 10 point rebound up top, the extra ball you had waiting in queue would be wasted. It may be different in the add-a-ball option you mentioned, but in normal play you would not get your second extra ball. The sole purpose of the rollover is to score points and shut off the shoot again light so that you can collect the extra ball with a skillful plunge.

For such a simple game it has a lot going on. It really was the full package in 1980.

#7 8 months ago

Thanks for listening. If you had not guessed Dave and I were in 2 different locations and trying to capture the sounds with a cell phone instead of a hard mic. Live and learn. Things didn’t go as planned.

Next episode we will record together and try to overcome remote recording. Please keep in mind we are not professionals and trying to get better with each episode. We have not done ourselves any favors by recording in a bar room, parking lot and remotely. I’m learning that this is as easy as I thought.

Thank you for taking the time to point out those great features. Dave has talked about doing a short segment to revisit the sounds in Quicksilver with hard mic. He was not satisfied with the quality in this episode.

Stay tuned.

#8 8 months ago

I should have stated: Not as easy as I thought. I have great respect for anyone who has to edit content but more importantly produce content.

1 week later
#9 8 months ago

In our next Podcast #6 (due out soon), we talk in length about the next Classic Stern in the lineup. This time around, we properly capture the sounds of the game in all its glory. We also go back into Quicksilver in an addendum episode to get all it's sounds recorded the way they should be heard up close and personal. =)

#10 8 months ago

Subscribed!

#11 8 months ago

Sounds interesting. Subscribed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 7.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plattsburgh, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside