Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    20170115_150454 (resized).jpg
    TimMcCoy.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Jesters_Court (resized).png
    Bachelor_Mimes (resized).jpg
    Wizzo_and_bozo (resized).jpg

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

so it killed someone at the "so much better" sanctuary, but not at the "evil" circus. Seems a bit backward to me.

Think about why the sanctuary needs to exist.

#102 7 years ago

And all of God's elephants say, "Amen."

#103 7 years ago

I know I'm in the minority, but I have a greater admiration and respect of the majesty of animals as a result of the circus. I was raised around cows and chickens in my youth and thought they were all nothing but food. Ringling Brothers showed me the amazing intelligence of other animals, even the ferocious ones. Obviously, YouTube exists today, so maybe that'll fill the gap. Still, I'm going to miss them and I wonder if there might be negative consequences in the long run of our children not seeing the potential of animals.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Think about why the sanctuary needs to exist.

Because elephants needed a place to go to kill keepers? </sarcasm>

#105 7 years ago

Because elephants needed a place to go to kill keepers? </sarcasm>

Take it up with the elephant dude.

#106 7 years ago

Like orcas, elephants need vast spaces to roam. There is a famous video of a circus elephant escaping and running down center of town causing havoc and attacking people. Killed his trainer. Every cop in town shot the elephant continuously. By the time it finally fell, gallons of blood per second were gushing out of him. So yeah, I do not condone the treatment of certain animals In these shows. However, not all animals have the same needs. PETA tends to draw a line in the sand for the treatment of all animals, as if they were all as intelligent as humans with similar human needs.

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Like orcas, elephants need vast spaces to roam. There is a famous video of a circus elephant escaping and running down center of town causing havoc and attacking people. Killed his trainer. Every cop in town shot the elephant continuously. By the time it finally fell, gallons of blood per second were gushing out of him. So yeah, I do not condone the treatment of certain animals In these shows. However, not all animals have the same needs. PETA tends to draw a line in the sand for the treatment of all animals, as if they were all as intelligent as humans with similar human needs.

Elephants have approximately 65 gallons of blood. If it had "gallons of blood per second gushing out" it would have completely bled out in under 30 seconds, this is assuming no blood loss at all until all the bullet holes were made, and it kept bleeding until completely empty (which does not happen). I'd have to say your exaggerating about the bleed rate. Let's stick to reality.

#108 7 years ago

Elephants have approximately 65 gallons of blood. If it had "gallons of blood per second gushing out" it would have completely bled out in under 30 seconds, this is assuming no blood loss at all until all the bullet holes were made, and it kept bleeding until completely empty (which does not happen). I'd have to say your exaggerating about the bleed rate. Let's stick to reality.

LOL

#109 7 years ago

Teddy Roosevelt was an avid hunter, ......while we are addressing animals, and its Friday.....
    People feared these great beasts.
    It wasnt just a sport, or a trophy to the masses....they feared the beasts, and felt it was a good thing to hunt them.
    Sharks felt a similar social hatred after Jaws.

But i credit the circus too, for giving me the few hours i had with the elephants.
    The old ones were worn down, and didnt care or were as annoyed as they could show.
    The youmg were curious and exceptionally communicative.
    Only ruined by the snap of a switch on their ass or side, to make me think this wasnt right.
    We would never hit a dog to train.

#110 7 years ago

Look at the video. A bunch of cops shot him all at once. The blood didn't start gushing out until the elephant fell down, chest falling forward. It's been years since I saw it but it was pouring out.

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Teddy Roosevelt was an avid hunter, ......while we are addressing animals, and its Friday.....
    It wasnt just a sport, or a trophy to the masses....they feared the beasts, and felt it was a good thing to hunt them.
    Sharks felt a similar social hatred after Jaws.
    But i credit the circus too, for giving me the few hours i had with the elephants.
    The old ones were worn down, and didnt care or were as annoyed as they could show.
    The youmg were curious and exceptionally communicative.
    Only ruined by the snap of a switch on their ass or side, to make me think this wasnt right.
    We would never hit a dog to train.

An elephant is a very big animal with a very thick hide. The snap of a switch would be a minor nuisance at most.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PETA ... are extremists....

And I always thought it stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals".

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Look at the video. A bunch of cops shot him all at once. The blood didn't start gushing out until the elephant fell down, chest falling forward. It's been years since I saw it but it was pouring out.

Ive seen the video, I think it was in Hawaii, but I could be wrong. It does not change the fact that it was not pouring out gallons per second. That was jut an emotional based over-exaggeration of the situation.

#114 7 years ago

so it killed someone at the "so much better" sanctuary, but not at the "evil" circus. Seems a bit backward to me.

Talk about missing the point.

#115 7 years ago

its sad. I also am all for animal rights. and ethical treatment. Just sad that there wasn't some way to keep some of the stuff. If you want to really see what PETA is all about find the Penn & teller show BS episode about PETA.

#116 7 years ago

Elephants have approximately 65 gallons of blood.

I never understood why some vampires who are conflicted with drinking blood from humans and turn to rats to survive just don't go to Africa and feast on 65 galloons of blood from an elephant.

#117 7 years ago

My wife and I went to Africa more than a decade ago and one of the most amazing things we saw was a young bull elephant being attacked by 3 young male lions.

The elephant violently shook off one of the lions and quickly stomped on it with its massive, bulkhead-like leg, literally flattening the lion's rib cage while internal organs shot out through its mouth. Having seen this, the other 2 lions bolted into the brush.

Afterwards, the elephant stood almost motionless in the same spot for close to 10 minutes before proceeding to a watering hole for a drink.

I like elephants.

#118 7 years ago

The last couple of times I took my family to their show it was absolutely horrible and a complete waste of money. Their quality was certainly waning over the last few years so it is not surprising at all that they went out of business.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

The last couple of times I took my family to their show it was absolutely horrible and a complete waste of money. Their quality was certainly waning over the last few years so it is not surprising at all that they went out of business.

Agreed, but the tickets are very cheap.

It is certainly not the Ringling Brother Circus I remember as a kid with 3 rings, seemingly 100 clowns and multiple animal and high wire acts.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Talk about missing the point.

He understood what happened and made his own point.

Hopefully you cruised in the Tesla to the Inauguration. What a great day

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I like elephants.

I do too. My favorite Zoo animal.

20170115_150454 (resized).jpg20170115_150454 (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

He understood what happened and made his own point.
    Hopefully you cruised in the Tesla to the Inauguration. What a great day

I'll be there tomorrow.

As for his post: when someone makes an intentionally obtuse and unintelligent rebuttal, I will call them out on it.

#123 7 years ago

Ive seen the video, I think it was in Hawaii, but I could be wrong. It does not change the fact that it was not pouring out gallons per second. That was jut an emotional based over-exaggeration of the situation.

I'm not an emotional person on the subject. And seriously, get off it already. Does it really matter?

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I'll be there tomorrow.
    As for his post: when someone makes an intentionally obtuse and unintelligent rebuttal, I will call them out on it.

So you're going to only quote yourself from now on, good.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm not an emotional person on the subject. And seriously, get off it already. Does it really matter?

Yes, let's keep the discussion in reality not blood soaked fantasy.

#126 7 years ago

Yes, let's keep the discussion in reality not blood soaked fantasy.

Whatever dude. It was gallons. A freakin river of blood. Makes no difference to the story. Go nit pick somewhere else.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Whatever dude. It was gallons. A freakin river of blood. Makes no difference to the story. Go nit pick somewhere else.

I'm sure there were gallons in total, not per second.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Interestingly Teddy Roosevelt's love of hunting led him to establish the groundwork for most of our conservation of natural resources. He established the Forest Service, the Antiquities Act, and protected 230 million acres of forests by establishing hundreds of national forests, parks, monuments, and preserves. It sounds ironic considering all that spawned out of killing of animals, but it was due to his his direct contact with nature and wildlife that made him respect and want to preserve it all.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I'll be there tomorrow.

Are you going to the Women's March on Washington?

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Interestingly Teddy Roosevelt's love of hunting led him to establish the groundwork for most of our conservation of natural resources. He established the Forest Service, the Antiquities Act, and protected 230 million acres of forests by establishing hundreds of national forests, parks, monuments, and preserves. It sounds ironic considering all that spawned out of killing of animals, but it was due to his his direct contact with nature and wildlife that made him respect and want to preserve it all.

Kiss it all goodbye, lol.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Setting up his own private game reserves. LOL.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Teddy Roosevelt used to just take off to go hunting and be completely incommunicado with anyone during his presidency often for days/week at a time.

Try imagining that scenario happening today.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Kiss it all goodbye, lol.

Lets hope not, but considering the laws were changed the first day the house went in session this year to allow federal lands to be given away without respect to value, far the fear seems justified so far.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Setting up his own private game reserves. LOL.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Teddy Roosevelt used to just take off to go hunting and be completely incommunicado with anyone during his presidency often for days at a time.
    Try imagining that scenario happening today.

He did... but if you think congressmen and presidents actually work more today, you're in for a bit of a surprise.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

He did... but if you think congressmen and presidents actually work more today, you're in for a bit of a surprise.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Hehe.

Uh oh drifting into politics.

#135 7 years ago

Not that long ago, someone was usually taking a powder in Kennebunkport......

#136 7 years ago

And back to the circus topic......wonder what those performers whose family legacy dates back almost 100 years are now going to do? Another circus in Europe?

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

And back to the circus topic......wonder what those performers whose family legacy dates back almost 100 years are now going to do? Another circus in Europe?

Reality shows are the new circus.

#138 7 years ago

I said it was an ex zoo animal that killed. Btw Our Madison's zoo did have another elephant that killed, here at the zoo. Pulled a boy between the bars

#139 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I said it was an ex zoo animal that killed. Btw Our Madison's zoo did have another elephant that killed, here at the zoo. Pulled a boy between the bars

Volcano diver says:

"Do you have evidence the elephant killed the boy? Or was it actually blunt force trauma from striking the bars as he was being pulled in? Let's work with facts here!"

#140 7 years ago

Google will probably work. I'm not good with linking. 'Winky', comes to mind.

#141 7 years ago

wow a bunch of pinball guys are suddenly animal care experts ! I ask how many here have actually spent any time behind the scenes of ringling or any other circus ?? lets bring up a few isolated incidents out of thousands of performance ! lets keep pinside to pinball . where is that kiss code ??

#142 7 years ago

I took my daughter and her boyfriend to the circus today here in Birmingham. It was a packed house. I guess since the word is out that they are shutting down, everyone is wanting to see them one last time.
    It was a good show! The dogs, tigers, lions horses looked to be well taken care of.
    Glad I went.

#143 7 years ago

The man in this picture was the lead clown for Ringling Brothers and was a friend of mine. His name was Nat Litt and he ran Magic shops in Southern NJ and Philadelphia. I have fond memories of the circus. It's a sad thing to happen.

index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago

This is unrelated to circuses but not to elephants or zoos. When I was in Junior High we took a field trip to the Indy Zoo. They were giving elephant rides for 20 bucks. I did it and it was unforgettable. We did have to make a pit stop half ways around for it to drop some pounds.

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is unrelated to circuses but not to elephants or zoos. When I was in Junior High we took a field trip to the Indy Zoo. They were giving elephant rides for 20 bucks. I did it and it was unforgettable. We did have to make a pit stop half ways around for it to drop some pounds.

What's it like to sit on an elephant while it takes a dump?

#146 7 years ago

Went to the circus just about every year with my parents as a child and it was one of the best times of my life. I'm very sorry to see it go by the wayside.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Volcano diver says:
    "Do you have evidence the elephant killed the boy? Or was it actually blunt force trauma from striking the bars as he was being pulled in? Let's work with facts here!"

Wtf are you talking about?

#148 7 years ago

Wtf are you talking about?

He's talking about your intentional obtuseness and nakedly facile attempt to pin an animal's damaged mental state on the sanctuary it was sent to rather than the circus it had been part of.

At least, I assume the obtuseness is intentional. Let me know if I'm giving you too much credit.

#149 7 years ago

Pezpunk said
    "I bet the kid was nicely tenderized, I hope he was eaten so it was't a waste."

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is his fault. The circus is closing because ticket sales have been declining steadily for over a decade, not because of "liberals."
    See what Lloyd says whenever someone complains about an arcade closing. "When was the last time you went?"
    Also. Liberals or something.

Everything bad that happens is a liberals fault. All hail the orange one.

I am truly yanking your chain Levi.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-circus-has-closed-barnum-bailey-no-more/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.