Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).jpg
    20170115_150454 (resized).jpg
    TimMcCoy.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Jesters_Court (resized).png
    Bachelor_Mimes (resized).jpg
    Wizzo_and_bozo (resized).jpg
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

From the articles, it states that the ticket sale decline is in part due to lack of animal presence and the litigation cost.

"it" says that. Unless we actually see the books or some real numbers, it's just spin. A family of billionaires just fired 500 people, they need to blame somebody and justify it in a way besides "there's just better ways for us to spend our money." Remember when Williams closed it's pinball division despite the fact that it was profitable?

"it" also says "try to get a 4 year old to sit still for 12-minutes these days and see if they pay attention", and that's a direct quote for the Circus' owner. The circus' days were numbered because in 2017, people just don't give a shit about stuff that isn't on an ipad. The usual suspects who don't really care about the circus are gonna bitch about "liberals" because that's what they do - every chance they get.

When was the last time YOU went to the circus?

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

If it stayed true to its origins maybe they could have kept going.

Nah. Probably would have been gone long ago if they didn't Broadway it. I've literally never heard of someone I know going to the circus in my 40+ years. Unless you count the Jim Rose circus, which I've seen multiple times and is actually fun for someone over the age of ten.

Times change, tastes change. Vaudeville died. Boxing & horse racing used to be 2 of the "big 3" sports. I'm surprised we still have pinball.

But, you know, liberals! ...people without whom there would also be no more ballet, jazz, opera, classical music, etc.

#53 7 years ago

Here in Orlando, the show has its last showing.

I havent gone in about 8 years, and then, as now, there are always protesters against the animal treatment.

I respect their right to do so.

I dont respect the use of horrifying images to make their point, which I cant tell you how many young kids start
    crying, or dont want to go in to see...spoiling the experience.

I have many fond memories and much time spent on the entire history of the circus, and what it brought to small towns,
    and meant to soldiers, young couples to find romance, and to expose people to animals that had never been seen at the time.
    No books really, and no other images. The HBO Series Carnivale, showing some of the life style.

From Madison Square Garden to a field in the middle of No where.

But mostly, its the creation of Entertainment as we know today, starting with the Circus. Blows my mind.
    Even had an astute dialogue that our election was straight out of the pages of PT Barnum!

In hanging and some of the old folk watering holes in Sarasota, and by chance, I seem to have met many performers, especially
    those defined as Freaks and Acrobats. I worked at the Strates Shows Traveling Fairs for a couple summers.

Even having Lunch in front of the Trapeze training grounds last week in Venice....a small outdoor field with Nets and high wires.

I dont the the circus died in the sense that cirque du soleil brings the human form of Circus into todays world.

Heres a link to enjoy the circus in a different way.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/36897

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#54 7 years ago

According to defiant ownership, it wasn't actually the liberals. But it was liberals.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ringling-bros-pushes-back-animal-rights-groups-claiming/story?id=44806898

The owners of the famed Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus today pushed back against the idea that animal rights protests influenced the company's decision to end its circus performances in May of this year.

The family-run Feld Entertainment company that owns the 146-year-old circus billed as "the greatest show on Earth" said at a press conference today in Florida that animal rights groups should not claim the circus' closing as a victory.

"This is not a win for animal rights activists," Kenneth Feld, the company's CEO said. "This is not a win for anyone."

"Entertainment has changed," Feld said of the reason for the closing. "The traditional family unit is different."

#55 7 years ago

So my question is, will the Harlem Globetrotters be next?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

So my question is, will the Harlem Globetrotter be next?

Thats a painful show, even 40 years ago......3 minutes of entertainment stretched out to an hour and a half.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"it" says that. Unless we actually see the books or some real numbers, it's just spin. A family of billionaires just fired 500 people, they need to blame somebody and justify it in a way besides "there's just better ways for us to spend our money." Remember when Williams closed it's pinball division despite the fact that it was profitable?
    "it" also says "try to get a 4 year old to sit still for 12-minutes these days and see if they pay attention", and that's a direct quote for the Circus' owner. The circus' days were numbered because in 2017, people just don't give a shit about stuff that isn't on an ipad. The usual suspects who don't really care about the circus are gonna bitch about "liberals" because that's what they do - every chance they get.
    When was the last time YOU went to the circus?

Spin or facts, it's up to you what you want to believe. What you can't dispute is another entity has been taken down with litigation used by fanatical zealots. Not sure how this compares to Williams, but whatever.

And I last went to a circus about a year ago when it was last in my city. So yeah, I can bitch.

#58 7 years ago

Last took my kids about 14 years ago. They had a blast. So did Mrs. Bally & I.

As long as I can still buy Circus Peanuts. The healthy candy......

#59 7 years ago

I am just surprised no one has blamed Trump for this! Somehow he & the Russians most be at fault!

Not trying to start something political here - but so many people just seem to want to start something to fight about these days.

Somehow the Circus has become animal abuse but I would bet overall circus animals are treated better than most family pets.

Bottom line is if it isn't on a computer or a tablet kids just don't care anymore. We have traveled all over the country and it is truly sad to see some of the great old roadside stuff gone forever. Life has become more about walking over someone to get ahead than about enjoying the "simple things". I am glad I am in my 60's and will be dead before things get much worse.

RIP Ringling Brothers Circus - some of us will miss you!

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

But, you know, liberals! ...people without whom there would also be no more ballet, jazz, opera, classical music

I like how you attribute the success of the arts to a political viewpoint. Pretty funny.

#61 7 years ago

I have mixed feelings about this. I've always enjoyed the circus and believe there is value in seeing animals up close, interacting with them, etc. Considering PETA also wants zoos closed, the opportunities may continue to shrink back to a time when we all thought lions and tigers and bears were all terribly ferocious beasts and needed to be hunted and killed. Times are changing though, usually for the better.

#62 7 years ago

Let's try to drop the politics from this one. I think most folks here in this pinball forum understand nostalgia - suspect that's why a good portion of us got into this hobby. The announced closing of the 'Greatest Show on Earth' is just another sign to me that I'm getting old. Another reminder that things I used to enjoy have faded, and are no longer appreciated by those much younger. It's like reading through the 'What were your favorite childhood toys' thread. It's both happy (such fond memories) and sad, because those times are gone forever and kids these days won't ever appreciate the cool toys we had back then. I feel the same about the Circus - something I enjoyed as a kid, but that I know mine will never appreciate in the same way. I get it, times change....but jeez....getting old sux sometimes.

#63 7 years ago

Man you people can argue over everything. Fuck politics.

It's a good old American tradition that will be missed. Not sure how I feel about the animal parts of it, but I'm sure either way things would have been okay.

Let's just appreciate that it could last that long, really what else does? Not cars, certainly not people...

- The circus
    - Betty White
    - The everlasting wait for pictures when buying a pin from Carlisle, PA

But in all seriousness, it will be missed. Do they close immediately or is there a final year of shows?

#64 7 years ago

Web surfing, cellphones, social media, home video game consoles, and 200 channels of cable TV killed the circus. Who has time/ patience for live entertainment? Sad.

Plus I can watch NatGeo to see animals suffer 10 times worse in the wild (at the hands of poachers and other animals) than anything PETA can accuse the zoos and circuses of perpetrating.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I havent gone in about 8 years,

They haven't played in my area in over a decade. Closest was Chicago, which was too far for me.

LTG : (

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They haven't played in my area in over a decade. Closest was Chicago, which was too far for me.
    LTG : (

Many restrictions in travel on public streets started in the 70's, I think. So they stayed closer to Train.

In Orlando, we would watch the Circus procession from the train to the Performance grounds.
    It was impressive, the scale of transport.

Another joy was the train that runs to Sarasota for the Winter, and out again in Spring.
    I cross the tracks twice on the way to work. Gotta be the longest train Ive ever seen, and the
    animal cars are open to air in, I guess for the animals health, and performers, clowns in makeup, would hang out the windows, or on other flat/open cars. Sometimes Id be stuck for over 10 minutes, but enjoyed every second!

To add to our old age and toys, anyone get these as a kid?
    They were flashlights we would swing around at the Circus. Madison Square Garden 1966.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Considering PETA also wants zoos closed, the opportunities may continue to shrink back to a time when we all thought lions and tigers and bears were all terribly ferocious beasts and needed to be hunted and killed. Times are changing though, usually for the better.

They want to close zoos, end fishing, and cease everyone from eating meat. Not what I would call better times...

well at least the eating meat part.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Many restrictions in travel on public streets started in the 70's, I think. So they stayed closer to Train.
    In Orlando, we would watch the Circus procession from the train to the Performance grounds.
    It was impressive, the scale of transport.
    Another joy was the train that runs to Sarasota for the Winter, and out again in Spring.
    I cross the tracks twice on the way to work. Gotta be the longest train Ive ever seen, and the
    animal cars are open to air in, I guess for the animals health, and performers, clowns in makeup, would hang out the windows, or on other flat/open cars. Sometimes Id be stuck for over 10 minutes, but enjoyed every second!
    To add to our old age and toys, anyone get these as a kid?
    They were flashlights we would swing around at the Circus. Madison Square Garden 1966.

Had that exact circus light from my first circus. Shrine Circus at the now defunct Michigan State Fairgrounds. A year or two later, the light was a replica of a Saturday Night Special....

#69 7 years ago

This circus was just in town a few months ago. I was out driving one morning and saw the circus train stopped just outside of downtown Indy. I thought about taking a picture of it since it's kinda cool when the circus is in town, but didn't. Probably should've since it was the last time they'll be in Indy.

#70 7 years ago

I picked up this local Circus poster from 1937 last Summer. Apparently the Ringling Bros & Barnum & Bailey Circus was combined, and used to be at least one part Wild West Show.

TimMcCoy.jpgTimMcCoy.jpg

#71 7 years ago

Right...shocked they actually lasted this long. Some things from the old days need to stay in the old days...progress, it's always moving forward

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

I went to one a few years ago and while the show itself was good, every other aspect of the circus was out-control-expensive. I'm sure that they helped themselves out of business by making it totally unaffordable for many. If you think beer and nachos are expensive at a MLB game, don't think about buying anything at the circus. Hell, I get it that things like this are overpriced, but really, the shit (food and swag) that the circus sold would have made Disney look economy priced.

If they had to move Disney World around the country via train and semis, you better believe that shit would get more expensive real quick too.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Wow, I haven't had a circus peanut in probably 30 years or more. when I was a kid my dad would get a bag now and then.

#75 7 years ago

Ahhhh. Circus peanuts. My guiltiest of guilty sugary pleasures. Nobody in the house likes them. Hell, I don't know that I've ever met anyone who likes them besides me!

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Nah. Probably would have been gone long ago if they didn't Broadway it. I've literally never heard of someone I know going to the circus in my 40+ years. Unless you count the Jim Rose circus, which I've seen multiple times and is actually fun for someone over the age of ten.
    Times change, tastes change. Vaudeville died. Boxing & horse racing used to be 2 of the "big 3" sports. I'm surprised we still have pinball.
    But, you know, liberals! ...people without whom there would also be no more ballet, jazz, opera, classical music, etc.

I was at RB circus more recently than Jim Rose, which was awesome. Bile beer so gross...

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Man you people can argue over everything. Fuck politics.

Language, son! Now let the adults continue their bickering as they don't have as much time left on this planet as you.

#78 7 years ago

The wife and I just attended a performance a few days ago in Miami. The show was very entertaining and theatrical, but the lack of show animals really hurt the feel of the show as elephants have been an important staple in the circus business for a long time. Truly sad to see American history go to the wayside of our culture and heritage. I guess times change.

#79 7 years ago

I saw Ringling Brothers with my family two years ago at the Atlantic City Convention Center.

It wasn't a very good show.

It was made up of some acrobatic clowns, dancing dogs and a petting zoo-like area in the back for the children to see some of the animals up close. There were no elephants, lions or tigers.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

why does pinball seem to attract so many circus clowns?

Been wondering that about you for some time now.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Circus peanuts are the healthy candy because they taste so disgusting that you'll never eat them!!

#82 7 years ago

I think we can all "Reach across the aisle" here and agree that PETA is terrible.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Been wondering that about you for some time now.

Why do I seem to attract so many circus clowns?

Errr....

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I think we can all "Reach across the aisle" here and agree that PETA is terrible.

It is funny that so many people have the knee-jerk reactions "LIBERALS!"

PETA aren't liberals. They are extremists, and "one issue voters" if you will. Animal rights extremists would vote for anybody who made "animal rights" their top priority - it's really all they care about so it's unfair to insist they are liberals or that this is an exclusively liberal point of view.

The circus and Seaworld aren't failing because of "liberals," they are failing because of a general and gradual change in the attitude of ticket buyers. You don't have to be liberal to dislike the exploitation of animals, and sure enough, plenty of "conservatives" aren't going to Seaworld anymore.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PETA aren't liberals. They are extremists, and "one issue voters" if you will. Animal rights extremists would vote for anybody who made "animal rights" their top priority - it's really all they care about so it's unfair to insist they are liberals or that this is an exclusively liberal point of view.
    The circus and Seaworld aren't failing because of "liberals," they are failing because of a general and gradual change in the attitude of ticket buyers. You don't have to be liberal to dislike the exploitation of animals, and sure enough, plenty of "conservatives" aren't going to Seaworld anymore.

I hear what you're saying, its like lumping conservatives in with white nationalists or something. But just like there aren't too many liberals in the KKK I doubt you'll find too many conservatives in PETA. Theres no need here for everyone to get all super defensive when your political party gets called out. That said, blaming the circus closing on "liberals" is pretty dumb. Then again, I think people who are too caught up in defending their political party or pointing the finger at the other party (it goes both ways people) are pretty silly. Thats probably one of the main reasons political discussion isn't allowed here.

#86 7 years ago

Meanwhile the powerhouse that is Cirque du Soleil is going strong. I think it's proven their can be top-notch circus entertainment minus the animals. When it comes down to it, B&B was dated and way overpriced.

I know it doesn't tour, but if you are ever in Vegas, O at the Bellagio is probably my favorite.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Meanwhile the powerhouse that is Cirque du Soleil is going strong. I think it's proven their can be top-notch circus entertainment minus the animals. When it comes down to it, B&B was dated and way overpriced.
    I know it doesn't tour, but if you are ever in Vegas, O at the Bellagio is probably my favorite.

The currently touring Kurios show is excellent as well! O is my favorite Cirque show I've seen, with Kurios being my favorite of the traveling shows.

#88 7 years ago

but its not a "real" circus. its an acrobat show, which traditionally is a part of a circus.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PETA aren't liberals. They are extremists, and "one issue voters" if you will.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Uh....ok.

#90 7 years ago

Yup. If you want to watch acrobats, go to a Cirque show. If you want to watch caged apex predators do tricks for your amusement, seek professional help?

Bring on the thumbs, I can take it.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yup. If you want to watch acrobats, go to a Cirque show. If you want to watch caged apex predators do tricks for your amusement, seek professional help?
    Bring on the thumbs, I can take it.

What if I just want the apex animals to fight to the death? Like thunder dome?

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What if I just want the apex animals to fight to the death? Like thunder dome?

If you consider roosters apex animals I can point you in the right direction.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, chickens are basically miniature velociraptors with feathers.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm getting bored with roosters and dogs, etc., looking to go big time. With the circus closing down, I hear that you can get some really good deals on apex predators for the fighting pits.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Well, chickens are basically miniature velociraptors with feathers.

... and miniature brains!

#96 7 years ago

Slightly sad to see it go, I went once as a kid and it was really nifty. I don't agree with PETA's methods at all (ugh) but they really carried on with the animals for way, way too long. See also: Seaworld. On the plus side, Cirque du Soleil exists and they're pretty legit. The Beatles one is a trip.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Slightly sad to see it go, I went once as a kid and it was really nifty. I don't agree with PETA's methods at all (ugh) but they really carried on with the animals for way, way too long. See also: Seaworld. On the plus side, Cirque du Soleil exists and they're pretty legit. The Beatles one is a trip.

It is funny that pretty much everybody hates PETA yet...agrees with them.

I mean, PETA are insufferable, but it's indisputable that they have been extremely effective in some areas. Yeah, most people will still eat a steak and order meatballs for dessert, but the ranks of those same folks who won't buy a ticket to Seaworld or wear a fur coat are growing every day.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is funny that pretty much everybody hates PETA yet...agrees with them.
    I mean, PETA are insufferable, but it's indisputable that they have been extremely effective in some areas. Yeah, most people will still eat a steak and order meatballs for dessert, but the ranks of those same folks who won't buy a ticket to Seaworld or wear a fur coat are growing every day.

I'm glad for the best work they've done, and I hate their worst claims ("milk causes autism!"), but the overall progress is a good thing.

#99 7 years ago

Went to the Ringling Brothers here a couple years ago. They had a young elephant in a small pen near the picnic benches. It was already insane, pacing the same track over and over. Heard they got hit with fines and gave them up shortly after.

I know the Madison zoo had to get rid of theirs too because they couldn't take care of them properly (after decades of having them!). Went to a sanctuary, and the first chance it got it grabbed and killed a worker.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Went to the Ringling Brothers here a couple years ago. They had a young elephant in a small pen near the picnic benches. It was already insane, pacing the same track over and over. Heard they got hit with fines and gave them up shortly after.
    I know the Madison zoo had to get rid of theirs too because they couldn't take care of them properly (after decades of having them!). Went to a sanctuary, and the first chance it got it grabbed and killed a worker.

so it killed someone at the "so much better" sanctuary, but not at the "evil" circus. Seems a bit backward to me.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-circus-has-closed-barnum-bailey-no-more/page/2?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.