(Topic ID: 28039)

The CEO of my company just gave tentative ok on a pin at work... uh oh!

By Richthofen

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So I was in the elevator yesterday on my way out of work, and the CEO was there too. We made small talk and I mentioned going to play pinball after work. And he says, 'We should get a pinball machine for the office'... now, to anyone else that's idle chit-chat. To me, given that I recently became infected with pinball-itis, that's a challenge.

So today I wrote a casual email saying, I have a few pinball machines, and I wouldn't mind bringing one of mine into work. He says as long as we can keep the noise down on it, he thinks it would be fun.

Now I don't have any room in my place but I've really wanted to get a Taxi. I am seriously thinking I should buy Taxi and bring it to work. There's 60 or 70 employees at the office where I work. We're on the fifth floor but there's a freight elevator. I think it would be fun, but does anyone see any downside? (Besides me being a full blown addict and buying yet another pin before I've even fixed up the one I got this weekend!?)

#2 11 years ago

Im looking to get a WCS94 for our office. I work with a bunch of Germans and they love some soccer (football?).

Plus i dont have the space in my house atm so this would work out great.

DO IT!

#3 11 years ago

Do it!

#4 11 years ago

DO IT!
    I have 2 at work Got the CFO to approve and now everyone loves them. We have an IT shop, so it is a nice time to release some stress.

I had waterworld, sold that. Now there is FT and Gladiators. Soon to be different ones

#5 11 years ago

Why take the risk? The risk of your games being beat / broken or straining your relationship with your workplace over a pinball machine.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

DO IT!
    I have 2 at work Got the CFO to approve and now everyone loves them. We have an IT shop, so it is a nice time to release some stress.

Are they on free play?

#7 11 years ago

I keep a stable of pins at work! My boss enjoys them which is obviously a bonus. Got a ToM and WW here right now, and they have to be on free play or the Board of Selectmen will come kick my ass.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Why take the risk? The risk of your games being beat / broken or straining your relationship with your workplace over a pinball machine.

Why the risk? Because pinball is meant to be shared. Getting other people to play pinball is my personal goal (and others).

I play a MB at a local restaurant all the time and always leave with a few free play credits on the machine. Nothing makes me happier then say to some kid looking over the edge "you play this game". The look on their face is just the best.

Slightly less awesome with people my own age but IMHO it is very worth the risk. Absolute worse case is im out ~1500 if the machine should burn down in a freak fire. Worth it to me.

#9 11 years ago

You got to play it right.
    A.) You bring a somewhat inexpensive players pin to work to "get the ball rollin".
    B.) Hopefully it doesn't get trashed immediately (or stolen).
    C.) You get everyone addicted, including mgmt/bosses.
    D.) Then you float the idea of the company (or wealthier boss ) to buy a really awesome pin for at work.
    E.) Then you can take your pin home after a while, or sell it.

#10 11 years ago

Downside? Only to productivity! Do it!

I got my company to get a TZ. Sits in between the bubble hockey and the mame.

#11 11 years ago

do it.. just clearly mark it as your personal property.

#12 11 years ago

I'm a manager in retail and I think I might take my space shuttle to work. Or a cocktail arcade, I haven't decided.

#13 11 years ago

I've never felt so blessed to be a home-based employee when I'm not traveling! (able to play a game or two when I leave my office for lunch)

#14 11 years ago

I wonder if this would ever work at my work. We have three pretty big cafeterias, including one with a small gym. I bet if I re-themed it to my company's logo, they'd be all for it. They like to show stuff off, including some chainsaw carved tree stumps

#15 11 years ago

Where do you work in Boston..............I need to get a job there.

#16 11 years ago

Get him to buy a new stern or woz

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

do it.. just clearly mark it as your personal property.

Drop a business card on the apron behind the glass.

There is no reason I would not do this.

#18 11 years ago

Every workplace should have a pinball! If you guys elect me as President I will fastrack the legislation!

#19 11 years ago

Got an ok from the CEO of my company as well to bring a pin to the office. Probably going to bring one of the 70's EM projects that I'm working on.

#20 11 years ago

Buy my Popeye, just south of Boston

#21 11 years ago

I just got an email from the office manager and managing director. They seem concerned with the amount of noise it might introduce. I suggested that it only be used after hours and turned off when not in use.

I think flipper clacking is still less loud than the sound of high-heels on the floor, but it sounds like they think it would be one more thing to baby-sit. *sigh*.

#22 11 years ago

I work for a major insurance company and recently in our company cafeteria we got a ping pong table and a Foosball for "employee moral and stress relief." I thought about asking if we could get a pinball somehow, but with 6,000 people on campus I have a feeling it would be more of a pain than pleasure. Hopefully you can get it worked out and get one in there. Remind them there is a volume control and it could be turned down. Good luck!

#23 11 years ago

I have heard similar stories like this, most of them end badly. It's great that you're into pinball but mixing hobby with work eventually ends with you taking your game home and management being pissed for one reason or another.

I say no, leave it at home.

#24 11 years ago

Definitely do it! Please consider doing this as well at your office: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-play-charges-and-charity-thoughts

#25 11 years ago

I've had various arcade games (Warlords, Black Widow, Gorf, Crystal Castles, etc) in my office at work for a number of years. A few months ago I brought in a Williams Highspeed and it's been a riot. I share my office with the rest of my department and we have 4 player matches regularly. I just bumped my co-worker off the high score table this afternoon and he wasn't too happy about that, heh.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Drop a business card on the apron behind the glass.

There is no reason I would not do this.

+1

#27 11 years ago

I almost got our operations manager to let me put one in our breakroom, i told him i'd donate $.25 on the dollar to the building. Almost....but no dice..

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

I have heard similar stories like this, most of them end badly. It's great that you're into pinball but mixing hobby with work eventually ends with you taking your game home and management being pissed for one reason or another.
    I say no, leave it at home.

I completely agree with this.

#29 11 years ago

Yet another reason why you can't compare public and private sector jobs. You should never judge another person's job as each has its pluses and minuses. As a public middle school teacher, there would be no way that I could ever bring a pinball to work.

Don't think that I haven't thought about it, however. Wouldn't I totally rule with a pinball machine right in my classroom and if I started an after school pinball club?

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I just got an email from the office manager and managing director. They seem concerned with the amount of noise it might introduce.

The fun police always find a way to spoil things

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Yet another reason why you can't compare public and private sector jobs. You should never judge another person's job as each has its pluses and minuses. As a public middle school teacher, there would be no way that I could ever bring a pinball to work.

Good god man! Go start a business then.....

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Not everyone can be a business shark like you. Besides, it seems like most of the people posting here were begging their CEO's for pinball (CEO's love when their employees beg). Hardly sounds like business owners to me.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Not everyone can be a business shark like you.

Shhh....

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I've had serious thoughts about starting one, but I only have $4k which isn't much at all these days.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I've had serious thoughts about starting one

Do IT! Best decision Ive ever made in my life besides marrying my wife.
    Our country needs more job creators!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Do IT! Best decision Ive ever made in my life besides marrying my wife.
    Our country needs more job creators!

What businesses could I start with $4 grand? Just curious.

#37 11 years ago

So you dont have anything specific in mind yet...hmm....what do you like to do and what kind of skills/job experience do you have? Doesn't matter how much cash you got now, if you are currently employed and have good credit find an accountant to draw up a business plan to get a loan.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

hat do you like to do and what kind of skills/job experience do you have?

My job involves the following:

Bagging groceries

Placing carts back up front of the store

Cleaning spills

Getting something for a customer/employee

Not that much.

#39 11 years ago

I would take that 4k and go to a trade school then, you might make some great business contacts. If you are good with your hands, electrician-plumber-carpentry are great fields to get into, you'd have to work your way through the system a bit but after a few years youd be ready to fly solo!
    Search want ads for outfits looking for apprentices??? Not real dialed in on the economy in Cali. Best of luck to ya Kwiki!
    edit-electronics repair goes hand&hand with pinball!

#40 11 years ago

OH man that sounds great! John Schnatter should team up with Stern and get a pizza shop themed game in every Papa John's!

#41 11 years ago

KwiKi,
    There's no big rush on opening up your own business just yet.
    You appear to be good at reading & typing (on Pinside ),
    so perhaps spend some time in remainder of 2012 thinking about jobs/career/interests:
    * research about work in various industries/businesses in your area (so you don't have to move out/away just yet). Need an open mind. There is many jobs out there in the big world that you are probably not even aware of.
    * making list(s) of things you enjoy doing, and things you would consider doing to earn $$.
    * do you want to work outside vs inside?, a job w/ no driving?, prefer to work around lots of people vs prefer a job with less interaction? Do you like customer service and helping people?
    * what are you good at? Skills? Good at math? A lot to think about.

Not asking you to answer this stuff to us, just trying to get you thinking.
    For some people it takes more time to narrow it down. Others just decide or just know, and then get after it. If you have a job that you like, then it doesn't seem so bad.

Best to ya kwiki, and hope 2013 is a good one for ya,

MLV

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

Are they on free play?

I usually do 1 quarter play, even CFO said to. To pay or maintenance. But I'll do like free Fridays and tournament Tuesdays. I don't make profit, nor do I want to. And people don't beat on them. I have the tilt at a 3 so it's decently sensitive. And actually there was a coworker who bought a pin after playing mine at work. The other day another guy said he should get one for home.

#43 11 years ago

Tell them about Pinside!

#44 11 years ago

You don't need money to start a business. You need knowledge and time. Find something that few people do well, and do it on the side. If you get good enough, you can put away enough cash to start doing it as your job. You don't need $500k to buy some lame retail location... and even if you did, those businesses often fail and leave you bankrupt.

Teach yourself software programming. There's tons of websites out there that show you how, for free. Then go on craigslist and go to 'gigs - computer' and reply to every ad. I made an extra $20k last year doing software contracting. I used the money to buy a slightly used Subaru, cash money. This year I haven't done nearly as much, but if I hustled I could probably do it. I can't tell you how many software contractor positions go unfilled every day because there aren't enough people who do it. Tons of software developers I know work from home 95% of the time because they're so in demand employers make concessions to keep them.

My girlfriend took night classes in sewing, $60 every few weeks, and now makes handbags. People at work have been begging her to make ones for them. An hour a night might net her a $60 sale. That's a pretty good hourly rate.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Tell them about Pinside!

The one already is on here

#46 11 years ago

When I worked at Boeing in Renton WA where they do the 737s
    It's so fuckinginging! loud! that any game on high volume would have
    fit in just right. It would have helped me stay awake during 3rd shift too!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ceo-of-my-company-just-gave-tentative-ok-on-a-pin-at-work-uh-oh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.