Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Tomcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Anyone out there have any info on why WMS produced these two pins in consecutive years, both based on very British Sci-Fi themes? Were these marketed in the UK more than other games? I find the choices sort of odd, both themes would have had only a cult type following in the US. This would have been especially true for the time frame in which they were produced(1992, 1993). At the dawn of the Internet age, Doctor Who would have only had a following, in the US, with public television watchers and I am not sure Judge Dredd was ever published in the US. I am fascinated by the licensed theme choices all around but these two especially.

#2 11 years ago

I didn't realize Judge Dredd was British based. Interesting.

#3 11 years ago

It's also interesting on the DW front that in 1992, when the pin was released, the show had been off the air in both Britain and America for 3 years. I think if Stern or one of the other distributors were wise, they'd re-license DW for a new DW machine now including Mcgann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith into the mix. With the reboot, DW is probably more popular currently than it ever has been with the international audience. I know I'd have one on pre-order.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

It's also interesting on the DW front that in 1992, when the pin was released, the show had been off the air in both Britain and America for 3 years. I think if Stern or one of the other distributors were wise, they'd re-license DW for a new DW machine now including Mcgann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith into the mix. With the reboot, DW is probably more popular currently than it ever has been with the international audience. I know I'd have one on pre-order.

I would break my promise not to order any new Sterns till they fix XMen's code if DW was announced. That would be awesome. Don't see it happening. More popular shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead are out there.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I would break my promise not to order any new Sterns till they fix XMen's code if DW was announced. That would be awesome. Don't see it happening. More popular shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead are out there.

Stern would have to step way outside of their current comfort zone to ever touch Doctor Who. I am not sure I would want to see it from them anyway. Now, if Jersey Jack wanted to have a crack at it, that would be something to see!

#6 11 years ago

Or...how about these new Brit Sci-Fi themes.....Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or, even better, Thunderbirds are Go!?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

More popular shows like Game of Thrones

That would be a sweet license too! Winter is coming!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I am not sure Judge Dredd was ever published in the US.

Eagle comics released JD in america in the 80's. Eagle Comics JD #1 is fairly easy to come by on ebay, and if you happen to own a JD, it looks good framed on the wall next to it.

Anyway, if you watch the Promo video, you will see that in 93 they were starting a second push of JD into the american market with new comics and toys, and of course the movie. Trudeau was offered the option to base the game on the movie, but he opted for the comic instead, which I think we all can agree was the right choice in hindsight.

So JD wasn't completely foreign, it just never quite caught on like they wanted it to. But with as popular as comics were in the 90's, it's easy to see williams execs as thinking they were jumping on a wave before it became a huge social phenomenon. But much like Last Action Hero, Demo man, etc, this theme failed to catch on in a big cultural way.

As for Dr. Who, I have to agree that there was really only a tiny niche market in america. However, keep in mind that for a long time, most pinball sales went over to europe, so in that sense these 2 themes make a ton of sense for the time.

#9 11 years ago

They are many great brittish tv shows and comics that could turn out being a great pinball like
Red dwarf( would be a "smeggin" great pin)
Dr who (reboot)
Judge dredd(reboot)
Being human
Primeval (original series not the awful new world)
Ashes to ashes
Who wants to be a millionaire (least favourite if made into a pin out if this list)

#10 11 years ago

"Coronation Street" is an obvious choice for a UK TV show theme

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Complete all modes and win a pint of warm beer at the Rovers Return.

rd.

#12 11 years ago

How about a Downton Abbey themed pin. The call outs would be great: "Quick, save the family home!" "Which daughter shall you court...not Edith!" and "Watch out for the milk truck, damnit!" lol

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Personally red dwarf all the "SMEGGIN" way you got all the humor of the cast and the sci fi background
Here is some quotes from the show

1)
Lister:“I tell you one thing. I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

2)
Cat: An orange whirly thing in space!
Lister: It's a time hole. That's where they are. We're going in.
Cat: Are you crazy We can't go in there!
Lister: Why not?
Cat: Orange, with this suit?

3)
Rimmer: Swapping my toothpaste for a tube of ________ jelly.
Lister: C'mon, that was a joke!
Rimmer: Yes Lister, the same kind of joke as putting my name on the waiting list for experimental ___ surgery.

The last time we had humour in a pinball was medieval madness I think

Post edited by Pinballgeek

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Anyone out there have any info on why WMS produced these two pins in consecutive years, both based on very British Sci-Fi themes? Were these marketed in the UK more than other games? I find the choices sort of odd, both themes would have had only a cult type following in the US. This would have been especially true for the time frame in which they were produced(1992, 1993). At the dawn of the Internet age, Doctor Who would have only had a following, in the US, with public television watchers and I am not sure Judge Dredd was ever published in the US. I am fascinated by the licensed theme choices all around but these two especially.

I've wondered about JD myself. All I can really come up with is that the 1st Judge Dredd movie with Stallone came out around this time. Maybe they were indirectly trying to tie in with the movie which, good or not, gives a serious boost to the popularity. Or is the timing just coincidence? The Dredd movie from a few months back was great. I know nothing about Dr. Who. Never seen an episode. Maybe that one was made just for the brits?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I've wondered about JD myself. All I can really come up with is that the 1st Judge Dredd movie with Stallone came out around this time. Maybe they were indirectly trying to tie in with the movie

Judge dredd with Stallone came out in '95' while the pin came out in '93'

#16 11 years ago

I watched the hell out of Dr. Who back in the early 80's. Though I do remember some Jon Pertwee episodes, my main Dr. was Tom Baker, and I remember quickly losing interest in the show as soon as Peter Davidson took over. In fact, I remember the absolute sadness I felt when Tom morphed into Peter. I was like "What the hell just happened? I hope this is temporary." Sadly, it was not. All that said, I have no interest whatsoever in a Dr. Who pin. Strange? Maybe. But that back glass just turns me off every time I see it.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I watched the hell out of Dr. Who back in the early 80's. Though I do remember some Jon Pertwee episodes, my main Dr. was Tom Baker, and I remember quickly losing interest in the show as soon as Peter Davidson took over. In fact, I remember the absolute sadness I felt when Tom morphed into Peter. I was like "What the hell just happened? I hope this is temporary." Sadly, it was not. All that said, I have no interest whatsoever in a Dr. Who pin. Strange? Maybe. But that back glass just turns me off every time I see it.

+1 I do remember watching some pert wee episodes and I mostly remember Tom baker than I watched a few after Tom regenerated but in my opinion the doctors after baker wasn't that good until I started watching it from the new series with excelston through to matt smith so far the dr who franchise is going great and with the half a decade 50 years of dr who this year it should be special special episode with rumour of all the alive doctors in it. And do you want another dr who pinball by stern. YES OR NO

#18 11 years ago

The doctor who message boards are ripe with debate and arguement over who was the best doctor and doctor "rankings", from 1-11. Tom Baker always scores highly, as does Peter Davison who replaced him. Usually, Doctor 6, 7, and 8 score the lowest though I thought Doctor 6 was awesome.

There is no general consensus though among the whodom fandom. A lot of Americans like Doc 4 because he was on TV here the most during the public broadcasts.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The Doctor Who message boards are ripe with debate and arguement over who was the best doctor and doctor "rankings", from 1-11. Tom Baker always scores highly, as does Peter Davison who replaced him. Usually, Doctor 6, 7, and 8 score the lowest though I thought Doctor 6 was awesome.
There is no general consensus though among the whodom fandom. A lot of Americans like Doc 4 because he was on TV here the most during the public broadcasts.

I'm not saying I hate all of them they were great in there own way but I'm not going to argue this doctor is better some people have different opinions and this thread may turn into something what it wasn't meant to be so

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I'm not saying I hate all of them they were great in there own way

This is the golden rule in comparing Doctors in my book. This was my ranking of the Doctors off my blog some time ago: http://notesonafilm.com/2011/09/05/doctor-who-all-eleven-doctors-ranked-worst-to-best/. Little has changed in my opinion outside of Tom moving up a bit in my mind, but it really does all come down to: none were bad. They all had their merits, even Colin Baker -- Revealation of the Daleks was brilliant.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

, even better, Thunderbirds are Go!?

Yeah baby!

#22 11 years ago

This is the golden rule in comparing Doctors in my book. This was my ranking of the Doctors off my blog some time ago: http://notesonafilm.com/2011/09/05/doctor-who-all-eleven-doctors-ranked-worst-to-best/. Little has changed in my opinion outside of Tom moving up a bit in my mind, but it really does all come down to: none were bad. They all had their merits, even Colin Baker -- Revealation of the Daleks was brilliant.

We have different tastes in Doctors. Though this is very nerdy of me to say, I have seen every single "complete" serial of doctor who ever made (I also am the original owner of a NIB DW that has never left my office since 92). I think you are being to hard on No. 6, Trial of a Time Lord was an excellent season...I also thought he had a good companion in Perry (she is a top 3-5 companion in my view...which says a lot). I would rate the Doctors as follows from best to worst:

11, 5, 10, 2, 6, 3, 4, 9, 1, 7, 8 (in my mind 2 and 6 are so close they are almost interchangeable and the same is true with 1 and 7). Matt Smith is a pretty clear No. 1 in my view, the guy was born for the part.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

The art on the game is very poor I agree. Most of the books of the era had great covers that were illustrated....big let down.

Compare that to the Big Finish covers which are excellent.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We have different tastes in Doctors. Though this is very nerdy of me to say, I have seen every single "complete" serial of Doctor Who ever made (I also am the original owner of a NIB DW that has never left my office since 92). I think you are being to hard on No. 6, Trial of a Time Lord was an excellent season...I also thought he had a good companion in Perry (she is a top 3-5 companion in my view...which says a lot). I would rate the Doctors as follows from best to worst:
11, 5, 10, 2, 6, 3, 4, 9, 1, 7, 8 (in my mind 2 and 6 are so close they are almost interchangeable and the same is true with 1 and 7). Matt Smith is a pretty clear No. 1 in my view, the guy was born for the part.

Perry was hotter than hell, best looking companion ever - and how can you have McGann last? He actually is my favorite Doctor of the bunch - ever listen to the Big Finish audios? Great actor - just didn't get the right opportunity.

Least you have Pat high on your list....

Smith sucks.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Perry was hotter than hell

YES! Best part of the regeneration scene from "The Caves of Androzani" is Perry leaning over Peter Davison in that low cut blouse. Wow-weee! She's still a good looking woman in her late 40s and actually very active on Twitter which is pretty cool. So is Colin Baker, believe it or not (active on Twitter).

I loved Mcgann too. He just didn't have the chance, plus he's Marwood from "Withnail and I". The fact that he's played two of my favorite roles in history might make me a bit biased though

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Perry was hotter than hell, best looking companion ever - and how can you have McGann last? He actually is my favorite Doctor of the bunch - ever listen to the Big Finish audios? Great actor - just didn't get the right opportunity.
Least you have Pat high on your list....
Smith sucks.

With the name Methos I'm guessing we have another TV series in common (Highlander; most under rated TV series of the 90's in my view and Methos was my favorite character).

Yea, I did not follow the Big Finish series and that is why McGann got last place. He was the "reigning doctor" for longer than anyone but other than one audio tape and the fox show I saw nothing of his doctor; so in my mind he is the least developed and gets last by default.

Yea, Perry was ridiculously good looking . . . broke the mold of all things a DW companion should be; LOL.

So, you've seen my list and the directors list . . . what is yours? Share.

#27 11 years ago

I think "Top Gear" could make for a really good pin!

JD & DW........two for two in the "Great bang for your buck" department.

#28 11 years ago

YES! Best part of the regeneration scene from "The Caves of Androzani" is Perry leaning over Peter Davison in that low cut blouse.

How about on Attack of the Cybermen when she was chasing after Colin Baker on the street. *bounce bounce bounce* *bounce bounce bounce* *bounce bounce bounce* Nothing more needs to be said than that. LOL

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think "Top Gear" could make for a really good pin!

YESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!

Just as long as it is the UK version. US version is OK, but can't even compare to it's version across the pond.

#30 11 years ago

How about Torchwood?

#31 11 years ago

I don't know, but I own both and they make a fun part of my collection.
Both have done quite well on route too.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

With the name Methos I'm guessing we have another TV series in common (Highlander; most under rated TV series of the 90's in my view and Methos was my favorite character).
Yea, I did not follow the Big Finish series and that is why McGann got last place. He was the "reigning doctor" for longer than anyone but other than one audio tape and the fox show I saw nothing of his doctor; so in my mind he is the least developed and gets last by default.
Yea, Perry was ridiculously good looking . . . broke the mold of all things a DW companion should be; LOL.
So, you've seen my list and the directors list . . . what is yours? Share.

First time someone has guessed correctly my name! My wife was a huge Highlander fan when we met - she loved it (the series). I loved the movie because of Connery and the QUEEN soundtrack - so I watched the series with her and Methos was my favorite person from the series. (Mi casa, su casa - or something like that.)

I like Paul McGann to begin with, (W&I, Alien 3, etc), and I loved the way his Doctor looked, dressed, and how he played the part. I thought the last 3 Doctors (Davidson through McCoy) were kind of bland - although Baker suffered from poor production support. So McGann's movie was great in my book. If you get a chance, pick up a few of the BF audios. He's been doing them for years now, and to me, he is the perfect Doctor. Mature, very assured, slightly arrogant but with a great sense of humor and wonderment.

I realize Tennant and Smith have to be all wacky and speak a million miles per second to keep our current ADD crowd entertained, but for once I would kill for some of Pertwee's or Pat's maturity.

And Smith doesn't suck, he's alot better than Tennant in my book who drove me nuts!

My list?

McGann
Pertwee
Troughton
Tom Baker
Eccleson
Smith
C Baker
Davidson
McCoy
Hartnell - too damn old and cranky for me
Tennant

And Peri is STILL beautiful -

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How about on Attack of the Cybermen when she was chasing after Colin Baker on the street. *bounce bounce bounce* *bounce bounce bounce* *bounce bounce bounce* Nothing more needs to be said than that. LOL

Best part about them was they were real effects - if you know what I mean.

Then there is Mel......

#34 11 years ago

I would buy a Red Dwarf pin in a hot minute.

"Step up to Red Alert."

"Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb."

RM

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

They are many great brittish tv shows and comics that could turn out being a great pinball like
Red dwarf( would be a "smeggin" great pin)
Dr who (reboot)
Judge Dredd(reboot)
Being human
Primeval (original series not the awful new world)
Ashes to ashes
Who wants to be a Millionaire (least favourite if made into a pin out if this list)

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I would buy a Red Dwarf pin in a hot minute.
"Step up to Red Alert."
"Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb."
RM

Good on ya what about starting a thread about persuading stern to make a red dwarf pin with a poll I may aswel, do that now

#36 11 years ago

I will always be a Tom Baker fan and think Dr. Who is a fantastic theme. (I even have a dalek on my desk at work that my husband got me last Christmas.)

Unfortunately I suck at the pin - like massively suck. It's a total drain monster for me. Keep playing in hopes I can one day improve. I don't have this pin on my wishlist right now due to how much I suuuuuuck.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

I will always be a Tom Baker fan and think Dr. Who is a fantastic theme. (I even have a dalek on my desk at work that my husband got me last Christmas.)

Unfortunately I suck at the pin - like massively suck. It's a total drain monster for me. Keep playing in hopes I can one day improve. I don't have this pin on my wishlist right now due to how much I suuuuuuck.

It's definitely not a walk in the park. Most people think the Time Expander is where it's at, but it's really sixth doctor and upper right loop for playfield multiplier with the mastering of video modes.

#38 11 years ago

Red Dwarf would be funny. The only BBC comedy I really ever liked. The there were all to slap stick.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

It's a total drain monster for me. Keep playing in hopes I can one day improve. I don't have this pin on my wishlist right now due to how much I suuuuuuck.

Yes, those outlanes are unforgiving. I still finish a lot of games <10 Million. But every once in a while there are games where everything fits perfectly.

As The_Director already mentioned - for beginners it's all about time expander and multiball. but i also prefer doctors 1 and 6 for endless video modes and multiplier loops.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-british-influence-doctor-who-and-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.