(Topic ID: 327304)

The BOWLER DATABASE, for ball and puck bowlers, is back!

By I_P_D_B

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bowler_DB
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

Years ago, when I first started with the IPDB, I ran across a website for ball and puck bowlers that listed the bowlers, their manufacturers, the dates of manufacture, and pictures. I really liked that website. Then, one day, it was gone. I didn't know what happened to it. In the years following, I had regret that I had never contacted the site owner to introduce myself and to express my appreciation for his efforts. Every now and then I would think about it and kick myself, because, if anything, I could have offered to take over his site so that everyone can continue to enjoy the work he had put into it. I wasn't sure how I would find the time in addition to the IPDB or if my pinball partner and webmaster Christopher Wolf would feel put-upon to make it happen but, if the choice was that or nothing, I'd figure something out to get it back online. I'd have to, I felt.

But that conversation could never take place because I did not know who the owner was. Heck, I could not even recall the URL it was under and I had never bookmarked it. I had nothing but a receding memory of it. It was hard to ask people, "Hey, do you recall a really good ball and puck bowler website from years ago? But I have no other information!"

After a forgotten number of years went by, it was a few years ago, in deciding to renew my efforts to ask around, I happened to be talking to my friend Cal Smith, an old-time operator and collector (who is coming to my house tomorrow to get running a Keeney "Sweet Shawnee" for me) and he DID recall this website and said I should probably ask Phil Hooper about it. So, I contacted Phil who surprised himself by remembering that far back and he gave me the name of the site owner and an old email address for him, and I saw it had a French extension. His name is Bernard Margelin, he allows me to say here.

So, now I had a name and a direction. This was in 2019. I posted a query on the French pinball forum flipjuke asking how I can reach Bernard. They replied he had not been to their site since 2015 but someone there figured out a possible street mailing address for him which, long story short, did not pan out.

And there it sat. Until last month when I received an email from Bernard saying that he had heard someone named Jay Stafford had been looking for him about bowling but he said nothing more. I told him I was looking for the site owner and I got excited and let it all out and told him all the parts about liking the site, missing it, regretting no contact, and had been looking for the owner off and on for years with nothing to go on. I ended the message saying if that person was not him, at least he might enjoy my story.

He wrote back to say he was that person and I had come knocking on the right door! We then started talking about the IPDB taking over his site. He was amenable to that but, in the course of our email discussion, he realized that he would like to give it another go himself! I was all for that, as my hope was just to see it back online!

So, with Bernard's permission, after all of these years, I am pleased to present the brand new URL for the BOWLER DATABASE, now online:

bowlerdb.org

At this time, what you will see is what he has resurrected from his earlier incarnation. The photos there are from years ago and are low-res but we hope more will now come in. He welcomes submissions of photos, game information, and manufacturer documentation such as manuals, schematics, etc. You can do this by emailing him at the email address that he displays on his site.

Let me pause the story to say that the IPDB has enjoyed the help and efforts of people in the pinball hobby over the years who email me with the URLs of games they see on ebay, craigslist, auction sites, and the like, of games that they see the IPDB could benefit in having those pictures. I then contact the seller for permission to show their pictures on the site. These helpful people scouting for the IPDB have made a conspicuous difference in improving what the IPDB has to offer.

May I now please invite anybody to do the same scouting for the Bowler Database? Bernard is open to this. If you see bowling machine pictures anywhere online that could help Bernard's site grow, including games he does not list on his site, please email him with the URL of where you saw them. As done for me, please in the email Subject line indicate the manufacturer and name of game. It helps greatly to add to the Subject line the single word "ebay" or "craigslist" or "leboncoin" to also indicate when there is a time deadline involved.

He is prepared to get to work so I hope anyone can assist him to get the momentum going!

I am happy for Bernard and look forward to enjoying his Bowler Database.

Thank you.

#2 1 year ago

There's a bowler group on Facebook you should post this to if you haven't already! So glad your efforts have lead you to your treasure!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobwiley:

There's a bowler group on Facebook you should post this to if you haven't already! So glad your efforts have lead you to your treasure!

You know what, I'm not on facebook! Could you or anyone reading this kindly make a post there, if only to point them to the Bowler Database URL?

Are you permitted to post the facebook link here? I know Bernard will be reading this thread and will see it, if he doesn't already know about it.

#4 1 year ago

Thank you for your work!!
    That’s awesome. I often wished for a bowler database when I was searching out a Puck Bowler! My Ciprice is sweet, and I have a lot of it’s original documentation. Can’t wait to send info to Bernard!

#5 1 year ago

Nice, thank you. Very complete list.

#6 1 year ago

Well done Jay and Bernard. I too missed having the site available.

#7 1 year ago

Pinrepair.com has all the info as well.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bowlerguy:

Pinrepair.com has all the info as well.

I see that. A quite exhaustive list, too. Incidentally, Clay did host Bernard's site for a while, Bernard told me, and on his site he links to Clay's list.

3 weeks later
    #9 1 year ago

Hello,

Happy new year to all of you.

I just want to let you know that after 9th December "Reload" bowlerdb.org has been updated today.
    There is more to come with "live" updates. The plan is to update the site regularly (and not in batch as done before) and letting you know what has changed day by day in the changelog at http://bowlerdb.org/changelog.html. After the very nice post from Jay, I feel committed so keep watching!

Thank you
    Bernard Margelin

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-bowler-database-for-ball-and-puck-bowlers-is-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.