(Topic ID: 287505)

The Boss has given me a go

By PinheadJeff

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The Boss has given me a go”

• MM 26 votes
      19%
    • JP 29 votes
      21%
    • SW 14 votes
      10%
    • TAF 20 votes
      15%
    • TZ 20 votes
      15%
    • DP 28 votes
      20%

(Multiple choice - 137 votes by 57 Pinsiders)

#1 3 years ago

I've convinced the Mrs. that the game room needs some life and she's given me the go-ahead for 5 machines. I'm having a tough time eliminating two from the list and would be interested in hearing your thoughts. I'd like a good mix of machines for players of all skill levels:

Addams Family
    Deadpool LE
    Jurassic Park Premium
    Medieval Madness RE
    Star Wars Comic Art Premium
    Twilight Zone
    Willy Wonka LE

I've given each one of them a test drive, some more than others, and I have a good mix here. A little heavy on Lawlor but I've enjoyed playing all 3 and tempted to boot Addams as Wonka is such a deeper game (IMHO). Star Wars is what I call a FORCED buy based on the family being addicted to Feeling the Force. Your help would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

First off, congrats on the 5-game-ok from the Mrs. Very nice.

As for the games, hard to not get Star Wars if the clan is clamoring for it, so there’s one locked in.

Addams and TZ are fun, but similar and the latter can be tough to work on from what I hear. If you want to keep a Lawler and want something newer like most of your list, go with Wonka.

Deadpool, MM, Jurassic, Star Wars, and Wonka is a sick lineup.

#3 3 years ago

I would axe Wonka and star wars, but you are about to get lots of different answers. Congratulations by the way.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks...for the well wishes. I can't wait to start shopping. I know she's got sumptin up her sleeve for payback. As long as it's not having her parents move-in with us, I'm down with it.

#5 3 years ago

Id get a Star Wars pro over the premium... the pro plays better and is way less hassle to dial in.

MM to me is the most overrated game on the planet so id give that the boot first ( although for kids and unskilled players its a good one)

Wonka and Star Wars would be high on the list for me but keep in mind they are both tough harder to learn games.

#6 3 years ago

Star wars is the first one to toss, but the second is a lot harder. They all have their own charms, all rate very highly, all have different layouts, and all have tons of replayability.

I would probably toss out Addams simply because an older game will likely have more issues for you, and the overall condition almost certainly won't be as nice as one of the newer pins. You could argue these same things for TZ, and i wouldnt disagree, but TZ is a much better pin IMO (and we are tossing just 1 more, not 2).

#7 3 years ago

Get rid of TZ and MM.

#9 3 years ago

Just start buying! Unless you already have these lined up it will likely take awhile to source all of those. Say you find an Addams right away, you might not find the 5th game for a few months. At that point you might be done with Addams and answered your own question. Nobody has a forever lineup. you will want to rotate them from time to time.

To answer the question, TZ would be my first to go in that list. Next one is tough, probably Addams Family.

#10 3 years ago

I own both TZ and TAF, TZ is a keeper but I'm seriously thinking about selling my TAF, that game is darn overrated so do yourself a favor and skip it.

MM is a great game, Deadpool and jurassic too.

I would skip SW and Wonka.

#11 3 years ago

WOW! What a great shopping spree you are in for! Congrars!
    I would nix Dead Pool and Twilight Zone. Having one Bally Williams from the 90s is awesome and to me TAF has always been a more fun and more accesible shooter. Deapool is cool and peole love it, but I played it and just wasn't wowed by it.
    Wonka is a must! Super fun nd challenging and beautiful.
    Here is one more wrinkle, I love MM but I think Stranger Things, which is another Brian Eddy game and has a similar layout but it so much deeper and cooler. I know it has gotten some bad reviews, but with the new code and UV kit it is my favorite game of the moment.

#12 3 years ago

With that list, my vote is to drop Addams first. After that, tough choice between Medieval, Twilight Zone, and Wonka. Personally I would drop Twilight Zone.

Just my personal preferences from that list.

#13 3 years ago

I appreciate all y'alls input but I'm starting to feel like I'm no better off then when I started LOL.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinheadJeff:

I appreciate all y'alls input but I'm starting to feel like I'm no better off then when I started LOL.

You could add a poll if you want to count responses more easily and objectively.

For it to work best, make each poll choice a combo of five titles. (Not just one title per poll choice.)

#15 3 years ago

Star Wars does nothing for me. I love the theme, but the game is just not for me. Have your family play it. It's a fairly complicated game.

The other one I would get rid of is Addam's Family. Love to play it on location and at friend's, but it gets a bit easy in a home environment.

Your call, but I think DeadPool Pro is the best of the three versions, but I prefer Stranger Things.

#16 3 years ago

Never refer to your other as "the boss".
    You in it together.

#17 3 years ago

First off, nice getting the ok to spend $40k

I am a big fan of TZ and MM. I would agree TAF is over rated IMO. I am interested I. Willy Wonka and have been a pin owner since 1989. I am hesitant on Wonka based on a lot of the issues I have read with JJP boards. While Stern’s seem to work solid, they have some playfield quality issues but not board issues.

Welcome to the club!

#18 3 years ago

I just got a Star Wars premium after much research and the game is truly spectacular.

I am baffled why this isn’t a beloved game.

My game played perfectly out of the box, those stearing you to the pro couldn’t be more wrong... the death star fork ramp and hyperloop are the most satisfying shots I’ve hit. The hyperloop might be the coolest toy in pinball. Did I mention the Death Star explodes?

This game has theme integration up the ass with the full score and over 400 movie clips... on a different planet than more recent releases like Jurassic park or avengers that have nothing...

Tons of modes and multiplier strategies to keep you busy for a long time. Flow and speed for days with an awesome Ritchie layout.

Star Wars premium is the most criminally underrated game on pinside....

Personally, I would eliminate TAF and TZ

#19 3 years ago

It’s hard to eliminate any of those but you almost can’t go wrong. Make your decision on what’s available

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I just got a Star Wars premium after much research and the game is truly spectacular.
    I am baffled why this isn’t a beloved game.
    My game played perfectly out of the box, those stearing you to the pro couldn’t be more wrong... the death star fork ramp and hyperloop are the most satisfying shots I’ve hit. The hyperloop might be the coolest toy in pinball. Did I mention the Death Star explodes?
    This game has theme integration up the ass with the full score and over 400 movie clips... on a different planet than more recent releases like Jurassic park or avengers that have nothing...
    Tons of modes and multiplier strategies to keep you busy for a long time. Flow and speed for days with an awesome Ritchie layout.
    Star Wars premium is the most criminally underrated game on pinside....
    Personally, I would eliminate TAF and TZ

damn, I need to give SW premium another whirl then and apparently Stranger Things as well with new code and UV kit.

#21 3 years ago

If that’s your list and you’re set on those, I would chop Willy Wonka and Addams Family, but that’s just me.

So:

Deadpool LE
    Jurassic Park Premium
    Medieval Madness LE
    Twilight Zone

#22 3 years ago

If the family is big into Star Wars definitely keep that on the list. It’s also really good for when non pinball people when they come over as it’s a theme most people can instantly connect with.

Deadpool is another I wouldn’t chop from the list. At first I was a bit hesitant with this title, but it’s amazingly fun and very addictive.

#23 3 years ago

My vote is:

Deadpool LE
    Jurassic Park Premium
    Medieval Madness LE
    Addams Family over Twilight Zone (I feel that TAF is more accessible to visitors than TZ. You want friends to play right? )

Wonka is just ok for my tastes. I predict this is a flipped machine sooner than later.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Never refer to your other as "the boss".
    You in it together

Until she tells you different

#25 3 years ago

Wonka is bad. TZ is ok. The other machines are fun but the only one I would consider owning on your list is DP.

#26 3 years ago

Twilight Zone is a must. We just got it and the wife and I love it. (Keep in mind she barley plays)

We’ve been also watching the show on Netflix which is awesome seeing that we didn’t really pay attention to it growing up but now we have time (thanks covid).

Dead Pool is solid and fun, we really enjoyed Wonka. Jurassic park is awesome!!

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these.

Enjoy your new pins my friend.

#27 3 years ago

for a start I would get one from column (A) and one from column (B)
    one old style B/W and one modern Stern
    find out what you like, find out what your family likes
    then add another game when you find them

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from McDoom:

Twilight Zone is a must. We just got it and the wife and I love it. (Keep in mind she barley plays)
    We’ve been also watching the show on Netflix which is awesome seeing that we didn’t really pay attention to it growing up but now we have time (thanks covid).
    Dead Pool is solid and fun, we really enjoyed Wonka. Jurassic park is awesome!!
    I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these.
    Enjoy your new pins my friend.

This.

TZ is my wife's favorite and she isn't a dedicated player. Older w/b machines were built for all skill levels, so if the fam is going to play or you want to get them into pinball, get TZ and MM. I'd consider dialed in over TAF. It's a similar but better game.

SW is an easy pass.

I'm not a fan of dp, but I'm clearly in the minority there. Jp is a great stern. Maiden is a little better, but theme is challenging for some.

Good luck!

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Just start buying! Unless you already have these lined up it will likely take awhile to source all of those. Say you find an Addams right away, you might not find the 5th game for a few months. At that point you might be done with Addams and answered your own question. Nobody has a forever lineup. you will want to rotate them from time to time.
    To answer the question, TZ would be my first to go in that list. Next one is tough, probably Addams Family.

I agree with the first part of this comment but not the last. TZ and TAF are great games. If you take your time to find nice examples for a good price, it will take some time to get 5 games. By the time you get to 5, you will probably be bored of a game or two. Swap those games out for something else on your list. All the games on your list are great but even great games get old after a while.

#30 3 years ago

I have never thought of asking other people what I should like..

Ill have to try that sometime.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

THIS!!!

With the backlog of Stern games coming out of the factory it will not be easy or quick to obtain five of the games on your list. Buy whichever ones you can find nearby and by the time you are bringing in your 5th game you will probably be ready to get rid of one of the others in your collection and bring in something new.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-boss-has-given-me-a-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.