index_(resized).jpeg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg
20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
IMG_1933_(resized).JPG
IMG_1935_(resized).JPG
IMG_1934_(resized).jpg
13277989_10209728920170835_1375353147_n_(resized).jpg
IMG_1931_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjabones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#183 7 years ago

here's a question... I saw this inside an HEP restored AFM cab. Was this something that came from the factory like this? If so, anyone know where I can get a copy of the file to print? I've tracked down all the other stickers/labels... but this one is something I hadn't seen before. Thanks.

AFM_cab_card_(resized).JPGAFM_cab_card_(resized).JPG

#187 7 years ago

thank you. Another question, what is the prep process for the bottom of the inside cab? Is that sanded down and then a clear coat (varathane?). I'm working on the inside of my cab this weekend. Have the right paint for the sides, back, etc... just not sure what to do about the bottom (like in this photo).

HEP_cab_1_(resized).jpgHEP_cab_1_(resized).jpg

#193 7 years ago

nice job... holy cow, I have my work cut out for me to match this project. BTW, how many feet of braid did you end up using? And, where did you source those tabs that you soldered on the ends? I worked in reverse, as my playfield is about 50% repopulated, but my cabinet needs a lot of TLC.

1 week later
#210 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just realized today that I HATE installing diverters. For some reason, it's just a royal pain in the ass, and I wonder if anybody else struggles to get it right the way I do..

Yes, I did my diverter install last night. PITA, especially because I forgot to take pictures of the order... I think this is correct (see photo below: diverter arm, metal bushing, washer, nylon bushing, playfield). I wanted to replace this nylon bearing (20-10283), but couldn't find it at any of the common places. Any leads?

Also, I just discovered last night that my flipper bracket dimples are also a smidge off. didn't realize it until I installed the flippers. Just that slight lateral pressure on the bushing caused friction and the flippers wouldn't return freely. Now I have to fill and re-drill all those holes (in addition to the right kicker dimples that were also off by 1/8").

diverter_1_(resized).jpgdiverter_1_(resized).jpg
diverter_2_(resized).jpgdiverter_2_(resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago

Yes, the Scotch brite finishing wheel is awesome. I wasted so much f'ing time on the first few ball guides before I got this tip on Pinside.

This is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-Fine-Finishing-Sander-9416NA/dp/B00004Z4DK/ref=sr_1_2

With the scotch brite wheel, once I got on a roll, I could do a ball guide in like 10 minutes. Scotch brite wheel on a hand drill, then polishing wheel (blue compound), then Blue Magic, then buffing wheel. Badabing done. Amazing.

#218 7 years ago

I could only find the fine one on Amazon. Do you have a link for the course one?

2 weeks later
#258 7 years ago

I feel your agony... as I've been on the sidelines doing my own AFM restoration right now as well. It's taking way way way more time than I anticipated. I've made at least 10 different orders from pinballife and marcospecialities (among others), thinking I finally had "everything". But I just keep finding something else every week.

Funny, I blew the same fuse yesterday (top half of the GI) for the very same reason. I had to let two GI sockets and the two gait mechanisms dangle because my rotisserie also uses the top 1" of the playfield.

Word of warning, measure your plastic posts on those lanes (especially the far left one). Make sure they're no longer than 1.1". I didn't realize that there were two different sized plastic posts. You need the shorter posts for the top lanes (6 in total) and one shorter one for under the plastic on the right side of the mothership (right below the bottom pop bumper). I ended up using a dremel multimax to shave 1/4" off the top as I couldn't find the right sized ones anywhere. The standard sized post will interfere with the install of the center ramp.

I'm now chasing down my own gremlin. Two of my flashers aren't working (mothership and left side high). Can't seem to figure it out. I've confirmed continuity from the board to the socket leads. I fear that it may be a board problem... but maybe someone here can give me some further troubleshooting steps (I checked all fuses, and swapped the flashers for ones that I know are working). Somewhat weird, in that the remaining flashers work fine, but when I run a flasher test, nothing happens on any of the flashers.

#268 7 years ago

Beelzeboob... I had pretty good results with the perma blu. But I polished the crap out of the flaps, made sure I removed any trace of polish residue off (denatured alcohol) and painted on coat after coat of the bluing compound (rinsing with water between each step), then I buffed. Not prefect, but mine were really beat up and pitted badly

20160523_210207_(resized).jpg20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg20160523_210035_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#324 7 years ago

Congrats. Hats off to you. Job well done. As someone who has gone through what you just did, I know how much effort, $$$, sweat, scraped knuckles, and curses went into this. Amazing accomplishment. Few really know what goes into doing a detailed high end resto like this. Really amazing job. Hopefully, I'll be done with mine in the next week or two.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjabones.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-boob-tube-another-not-an-hep-afm-restoration?tu=ninjabones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.