index_(resized).jpeg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg
20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
IMG_1933_(resized).JPG
IMG_1935_(resized).JPG
IMG_1934_(resized).jpg
13277989_10209728920170835_1375353147_n_(resized).jpg
IMG_1931_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

2 weeks later
#261 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm starting my next restoration in June, but it's my first EM, which will be linked at the end of this thread. I'm hoping the EM community can talk me through that one, so I'm setting it up as a wiki-type thing where everybody can chime in with suggestions (and abuse, of course). Looking forward to figuring out how to fix one of those up.

While doing a top to bottom restore on your JO will involve some different skill sets, it won't come close to the challenges you are experiencing here. Playfield restoration will be your biggest challenge. If you can get through prepping your AFM cabinet you will find EM cabinet restoration a welcome challenge. You get a lot more immediate satisfaction as you go.

In the end it's all relative. I did a playfield swap of a High Speed late last year and swore at it for a long time, mostly because I didn't have the right stapler, and man does HS have a crap load of staples. Right now I'm doing a Monster Bash playfield swap and I like it a lot more just because there aren't all the staples. It probably is similar in the overall work needed but I'm more at ease with it.

As for your JO restore, if you want to make your needs from the EM community easier (on you and on us), get the game playing solid 100% before you tear into it. The last thing you want is to chase problems that you don't know where they came from.

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Since I'll be ripping everything apart and cleaning/rebuilding it, I'm hoping those problems get corrected. I'll list these in the initial post of that restoration thread.

As long as your intent is to address those deficiencies in playability BEFORE you tear into it then you should be fine. Frankly it is recommended that you get them fixed and play it for a while to gain insight into the game itself and a deeper benchmark to refer to.

As for working through the issues, we are here.

The stepper is probably gummed up mech or broken wire.
The score reel is what it is, they get sluggish and can usually be addressed without a full teardown.
Targets not resetting is probably a switch, broken wire, or blown fuse(s).

#265 7 years ago

To add to the JO plan, and since they are modular, it is not unreasonable to totally refurbish the main relay board and head relay board and get the game fully playable before you approach anything cosmetic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-boob-tube-another-not-an-hep-afm-restoration?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.