Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by balboarules
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 120 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images_(resized).jpeg
IMG_1968_(resized).JPG
IMG_1965_(resized).JPG
IMG_1964_(resized).JPG
IMG_1963_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
Misc_013_(resized).jpg
Misc_014_(resized).jpg
index_(resized).jpeg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg
20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
IMG_1933_(resized).JPG
IMG_1935_(resized).JPG
IMG_1934_(resized).jpg
13277989_10209728920170835_1375353147_n_(resized).jpg
IMG_1931_(resized).JPG

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 3 years ago

Oh that hurts - that's so not right after all you've done... But thanks to you I'm now going to build Skypilot's rotisserie for my upcoming AFM playfield swap. You've saved me and other some big headaches.

Hang in there - you're only a few fixes away from having one of the best pinball machines on the planet!

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes...the f**king ball doesn't fit down the lane. Why? Because I ordered the wrong lane plastics. So now I've reordered new ones and have to wait to put them in and install the ramps. Which brings me to the next update...

This is what is scaring me as I go through my more recent Stern manuals... they absolutely SUCK. The don't include actual parts lists or maps for the majority of the game anymore. Unless it's a switch, rubber, light, coil, or MAYBE major assembly... you're pretty much left guessing. It's shockingly bad in my metallica manual.. even the electronic version. I'm screwed just figuring out what size stand-off or post is used.

At least it's not your PF drilled wrong

#253 3 years ago

These threads are great because they remind us that something always goes wrong but is fixable. FYI, Bill lives down the street and he did laugh at you.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

FYI, Bill lives down the street and he did laugh at you.

It's okay. I deserved it and he was really nice about the whole thing.

#255 3 years ago

All issues aside, this is a great thread. It really makes you appreciate how much goes into a full blown restoration.

The good news is when you're done and playing it, you'll have the bug and want to do another.

The bad news is you'll have the bug, and want to do another.

#256 3 years ago

Well...not really. This one REALLY pissed me off. I was on the phone with Skypilot at one point and he was telling me "just walk away for 10 minutes." I said I'd still be pissed in 10 minutes. He told me he was kidding and I should just pack it in for the day. He's right, of course.

I'm starting my next restoration in June, but it's my first EM, which will be linked at the end of this thread. I'm hoping the EM community can talk me through that one, so I'm setting it up as a wiki-type thing where everybody can chime in with suggestions (and abuse, of course). Looking forward to figuring out how to fix one of those up.

After that, I'm really taking a break and just enjoying my pins until mid-2017 at least. I need to focus on other, more important, things in life.

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...not really. This one REALLY pissed me off. I was on the phone with Skypilot at one point and he was telling me "just walk away for 10 minutes." I said I'd still be pissed in 10 minutes. He told me he was kidding and I should just pack it in for the day. He's right, of course.
I'm starting my next restoration in June, but it's my first EM, which will be linked at the end of this thread. I'm hoping the EM community can talk me through that one, so I'm setting it up as a wiki-type thing where everybody can chime in with suggestions (and abuse, of course). Looking forward to figuring out how to fix one of those up.
After that, I'm really taking a break and just enjoying my pins until mid-2017 at least. I need to focus on other, more important, things in life.

Finally.....you're gonna start drinking!

#258 3 years ago

I feel your agony... as I've been on the sidelines doing my own AFM restoration right now as well. It's taking way way way more time than I anticipated. I've made at least 10 different orders from pinballife and marcospecialities (among others), thinking I finally had "everything". But I just keep finding something else every week.

Funny, I blew the same fuse yesterday (top half of the GI) for the very same reason. I had to let two GI sockets and the two gait mechanisms dangle because my rotisserie also uses the top 1" of the playfield.

Word of warning, measure your plastic posts on those lanes (especially the far left one). Make sure they're no longer than 1.1". I didn't realize that there were two different sized plastic posts. You need the shorter posts for the top lanes (6 in total) and one shorter one for under the plastic on the right side of the mothership (right below the bottom pop bumper). I ended up using a dremel multimax to shave 1/4" off the top as I couldn't find the right sized ones anywhere. The standard sized post will interfere with the install of the center ramp.

I'm now chasing down my own gremlin. Two of my flashers aren't working (mothership and left side high). Can't seem to figure it out. I've confirmed continuity from the board to the socket leads. I fear that it may be a board problem... but maybe someone here can give me some further troubleshooting steps (I checked all fuses, and swapped the flashers for ones that I know are working). Somewhat weird, in that the remaining flashers work fine, but when I run a flasher test, nothing happens on any of the flashers.

#259 3 years ago

Great thread Boob, very interesting to read all that you did, also reminds me I am never going to do a full cabinet restore ever! I thought doing a playfield swap and installing head decals was bad enough, but seeing all this, I have a ton of respect for the dedication it takes! I know I am supposed to toss an insult at you as that seems to be the case in every response here, but not going to do that, very impressive work, and I am great full you took the time to post the pictures and step by step decals..

I will be at Pintastic, I was at Allentown, and it is funny that there are so many people there that you have talked with or bought or sold stuff to and from, but without knowing faces, you just never know who is who!

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I know I am supposed to toss an insult at you as that seems to be the case in every response here, but not going to do that

A temporary 1 day thread ban has been issued...

-Mod

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

While doing a top to bottom restore on your JO will involve some different skill sets, it won't come close to the challenges you are experiencing here. Playfield restoration will be your biggest challenge. If you can get through prepping your AFM cabinet you will find EM cabinet restoration a welcome challenge. You get a lot more immediate satisfaction as you go.

In the end it's all relative. I did a playfield swap of a High Speed late last year and swore at it for a long time, mostly because I didn't have the right stapler, and man does HS have a crap load of staples. Right now I'm doing a Monster Bash playfield swap and I like it a lot more just because there aren't all the staples. It probably is similar in the overall work needed but I'm more at ease with it.

As for your JO restore, if you want to make your needs from the EM community easier (on you and on us), get the game playing solid 100% before you tear into it. The last thing you want is to chase problems that you don't know where they came from.

#262 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

While doing a top to bottom restore on your JO will involve some different skill sets, it won't come close to the challenges you are experiencing here. Playfield restoration will be your biggest challenge. If you can get through prepping your AFM cabinet you will find EM cabinet restoration a welcome challenge. You get a lot more immediate satisfaction as you go.
In the end it's all relative. I did a playfield swap of a High Speed late last year and swore at it for a long time, mostly because I didn't have the right stapler, and man does HS have a crap load of staples. Right now I'm doing a Monster Bash playfield swap and I like it a lot more just because there aren't all the staples. It probably is similar in the overall work needed but I'm more at ease with it.
As for your JO restore, if you want to make your needs from the EM community easier (on you and on us), get the game playing solid 100% before you tear into it. The last thing you want is to chase problems that you don't know where they came from.

Thanks very much. I know of three problems just now (not to go off topic in my own thread or anything!). The targets don't reset (I think it's a switch problem or one of the coils isn't lifting that reset rod), the ball number stepper in the backbox isn't advancing, and one score reel struggles to reset and move. Since I'll be ripping everything apart and cleaning/rebuilding it, I'm hoping those problems get corrected. I'll list these in the initial post of that restoration thread. But I'll certainly be needing the help of guys like you to push me through. And yes...it'll be my first playfield repaint/restoration as well. Cross your fingers!

The cabinet I'm excited about: No decals, no HVLP sprayer (except perhaps for the spatters), and no warning screens. Should be a lot of fun!

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

A temporary 1 day thread ban has been issued...
-Mod

Awwww Man.... Now I have to start a Podcast, and I really don't want to!

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Since I'll be ripping everything apart and cleaning/rebuilding it, I'm hoping those problems get corrected. I'll list these in the initial post of that restoration thread.

As long as your intent is to address those deficiencies in playability BEFORE you tear into it then you should be fine. Frankly it is recommended that you get them fixed and play it for a while to gain insight into the game itself and a deeper benchmark to refer to.

As for working through the issues, we are here.

The stepper is probably gummed up mech or broken wire.
The score reel is what it is, they get sluggish and can usually be addressed without a full teardown.
Targets not resetting is probably a switch, broken wire, or blown fuse(s).

#265 3 years ago

To add to the JO plan, and since they are modular, it is not unreasonable to totally refurbish the main relay board and head relay board and get the game fully playable before you approach anything cosmetic.

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

his looks quite a bit better than mine

I hear it works better too

#268 3 years ago

Beelzeboob... I had pretty good results with the perma blu. But I polished the crap out of the flaps, made sure I removed any trace of polish residue off (denatured alcohol) and painted on coat after coat of the bluing compound (rinsing with water between each step), then I buffed. Not prefect, but mine were really beat up and pitted badly

20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg

#269 3 years ago

Those look beautiful. I'll know that for next time. Maybe I was just impatient with them, but I figured nobody ever actually sees them buried under all those ramps. I'll have to try that out in the future - nice job! (Or since I'm waiting for the lane plastics, I'll just do them again now...)

#270 3 years ago

Hey boob... You used a micro playfield, correct? Did you get new Mylar for the pop bumper area and the inlanes or did you choose to go without? Just curious where you got them if you did...

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

Hey boob... You used a micro playfield, correct? Did you get new Mylar for the pop bumper area and the inlanes or did you choose to go without? Just curious where you got them if you did...

I am pretty sure it is a full sized playfield.

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

First of all, Yzfguy is a dick.

Yes...it's a Mirco. I'm only putting mylar down where the ball drops in the inlanes. Nothing for the pops. I didn't do any on Funhouse and after a year of pretty heavy home use, there's really no evidence that I made the wrong choice. Just gotta use fresh balls and wax from time to time.

#273 3 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I meant Mirco... Dumb autocorrect. I guess the newest clear coats are tougher than they were on the original playfields...

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

First of all, Yzfguy is a dick.

He took my yob!index_(resized).jpeg

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll have to try that out in the future - nice job! (Or since I'm waiting for the lane plastics, I'll just do them again now...)

in the future... fuck it, let's do it now... lol, love it!

#276 3 years ago

Game is done minus some ornery mods. I'll try to post some pics soon. The thing plays faster than shit, so I'm pretty happy.

#277 3 years ago

Doesn't shit just sit there though? Unless you throw it!

All seriousness, congrats man!

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Doesn't shit just sit there though?

Not after $1.00 margarita and $0.50 taco night at the local eatery.

#279 3 years ago

Grats Boobie!

Maybe I'll finish my T2 restore before you finish your next one?

I completely resanded the cabinet and finished priming it (again) today. Hoping to spray the black basecoat tomorrow and clear it.

Nice that you're done - I'm jealous!

#280 3 years ago

You have some serious skills brother, a job to be very proud of. I am quite envious as AFM is on my wish list and probably going to be my first A-title I attempt to restore. I will use this guide and also your FH guide for reference in the future... Well done sir

#281 3 years ago

Don't congratulate me yet. I've got a strobe that won't work, some switches that are out, and I swear that targets are registering twice on the motor bank and when you hit the drop target. It's way too easy to beat the mothership. Have to realign the plunger so the ball fires up the lane smoother and doesn't rattle around on the walls, and as I said, I still have tons of mod stuff to do (don't even have the small UFOs/flashers in yet!). Man it's fast (the ball flew off the right ramp once), but I'll be happy when it's completely working.

I installed the Laseriffic topper today. That thing is so cool AND it's really funny. Now I just wish Tilt Graphics would get the apron back in stock.

#282 3 years ago

Great. Don't worry about the game actually working. As long as it is great looking with mods and stuff (dork)

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Great. Don't worry about the game actually working. As long as it is great looking with mods and stuff (dork)

You're a dork. Your FACE is a dork.

I win.

#284 3 years ago

The only reason you win is because Janice is not a perfectionist.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The only reason you win is because Janice is not a perfectionist.

Understatement of the year.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't congratulate me yet. I've got a strobe that won't work, some switches that are out, and I swear that targets are registering twice on the motor bank and when you hit the drop target. It's way too easy to beat the mothership. Have to realign the plunger so the ball fires up the lane smoother and doesn't rattle around on the walls, and as I said, I still have tons of mod stuff to do (don't even have the small UFOs/flashers in yet!). Man it's fast (the ball flew off the right ramp once), but I'll be happy when it's completely working.
I installed the Laseriffic topper today. That thing is so cool AND it's really funny. Now I just wish Tilt Graphics would get the apron back in stock.

So there is still time to go there, tire kick, point out all these issues and offer you 3K for it?

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

So there is still time to go there, tire kick, point out all these issues and offer you 3K for it?

No shit...that already happened.

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No shit...that already happened.

Wish I could say I am surprised, but I am not.

#289 3 years ago

As I've said in another thread, I'm trying to get my Pinbits strobe to work. I'm going to document my travails here as well since it's part of the troubleshooting process. But I had to try to find the old strobe, which I was sure I threw out, so that I could test it to see if it was a strobe issue or a board/voltage issue.

So here's The Boob's riddle of the day:

Q: What's worse than dumpster diving on Memorial Day weekend for a strobe you threw out?
A: Going through the entire trash and not finding it, only to realize you were smart enough to save the old part in the first place (but dumb enough not to remember).

God, I hate being blonde.

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Understatement of the year.

Keep running your mouth. As my wife made me two Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches this morning, I heard her say under her breath, "God, I f**king hate Brent."

I still like you, though. Breakfasts have been AWESOME!

#291 3 years ago

I forgot to add: I have a Pinbits blackout mod for sale if anybody wants it. Brand new. I didn't realize that I wouldn't need it since I have the Bill Ung expansion mod which does the same thing. Also some playfield service supports and lockdown receiver for WPC-95 which will clean up nicely. PM me with any offers.

#292 3 years ago

I have saved most stuff after doing upgrades, including the old strobe. Please call me before any future dumpster diving. I just finished pancakes and Taylor ham.

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Keep running your mouth. As my wife made me two Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches this morning, I heard her say under her breath, "God, I f**king hate Brent."
I still like you, though. Breakfasts have been AWESOME!

Let me know when Janice likes either of you two clowns enough to make you one of these.Misc_013_(resized).jpgMisc_014_(resized).jpg

#294 3 years ago

Thanks for spoiling the surprise. She already did.

#295 3 years ago

Oh, man...that is a cool vessel!

You guys both gonna make pintastic? I plan on doing some drinkin'!

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Oh, man...that is a cool vessel!
You guys both gonna make pintastic? I plan on doing some drinkin'!

You know, it's a funny story (but not for you): Janice made that for Skypilot because they were supposed to share a bottle of wine. Because of the rain, that didn't happen, but he got the glass anyway.

On the other hand, you shared all your booze with us and got nothing.

Life is like that sometimes.

(PS - My wife is asking what kind of glass you'd like painted. She'll make it for you. And the glass looks much better when you don't zoom so close in for a photo! )

#297 3 years ago

man... now I want to get into this drinking party if those are the kinds of party gifts floating around

#298 3 years ago

All I see here is a bunch of boob. Are there going to be pictures of drinking and playing this supposedly awesome AFM or what!?

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are there going to be pictures of drinking and playing this supposedly awesome AFM or what!?

Here's a picture of boob playing strobe multi-ball.
image_(resized).jpg

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Here's a picture of boob playing strobe multi-ball.

Probably the funniest post in this thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
$ 11.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 89.99
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wood Dale, IL
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 135.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Machine - For Sale
The Oc, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
$ 209.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside