Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by balboarules
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 120 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images_(resized).jpeg
IMG_1968_(resized).JPG
IMG_1965_(resized).JPG
IMG_1964_(resized).JPG
IMG_1963_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
Misc_013_(resized).jpg
Misc_014_(resized).jpg
index_(resized).jpeg
20160523_210035_(resized).jpg
20160523_210207_(resized).jpg
IMG_1933_(resized).JPG
IMG_1935_(resized).JPG
IMG_1934_(resized).jpg
13277989_10209728920170835_1375353147_n_(resized).jpg
IMG_1931_(resized).JPG

There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 3 years ago

Looks pretty damn nice, Boob! The mistakes you made I'm sure are no different than the ones we all make when we got started restoring games. Been there, done that, man.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Looks pretty damn nice, Boob! The mistakes you made I'm sure are no different than the ones we all make when we got started restoring games. Been there, done that, man.

Thanks, buddy. Yes...the mistakes I made would probably not even be considered mistakes by a lot of other people, and you'd be hard pressed to find them now. But I'm so picky that I literally reacted as if I'd ruined the machine. I say I'm anal, but my wife says it's worse than that. She thinks I'm OCD. She might be on to something...

#203 3 years ago

Day 9: Getting There... (8 hours)

Not a whole hell of a lot to report with this update that hasn't been done to death on Pinside. I just realized today that I HATE installing diverters. For some reason, it's just a royal pain in the ass, and I wonder if anybody else struggles to get it right the way I do.

Anyway, I didn't have the mis-drilled hole problem with the slings that many have reported with Mirco reproductions, but I did have pretty misaligned right flipper dimples:

IMG_1915_(resized).JPG

The bulk of my time during this 8-hour span was just spend cleaning, tumbling, reassembling, and reinstalling all the coils and mechs. I replaced a bunch of switches, but have one more that isn't working. So I have to replace that and solder the new flipper and pop switches in. Light harness and coil harness have to be installed, and then it's all topside. Here's how things look now:

IMG_1918_(resized).JPG

I thought I'd have this done in about 80 to 100 hours, and I seem to be right on schedule with that. I bought so many Bill Ung mods that he's probably taking an extra vacation on my proceeds, and that will add a few hours on to the restoration. We're looking at 2 days max left to go (and the troubleshooting stage could go on forever!), and up next is one of the dreaded parts of a restoration...

Regraining the ball guides and riveting.

#204 3 years ago

You're quite fast at this considering how picky you are about quality.

I decided my cabinet sucked too much - and sanded it down again this weekend to re-paint it again.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

next is one of the dreaded parts of a restoration...
Regraining the ball guides and riveting.

Speaking of riveting... I have some ramps you could practice on!

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

You're quite fast at this considering how picky you are about quality.
I decided my cabinet sucked too much - and sanded it down again this weekend to re-paint it again.

Speaking of riveting... I have some ramps you could practice on!

The cabinet is the most time consuming part. What you didn't "see" in the previous posts is that the parts were being cleaned and tumbled while I was busy working on other stuff. So this installment is simply reassembling and reinstalling. Has nothing to do with quality or speed, but everything to do with multi-tasking effectively so that more than one thing is being accomplished at a time.

#206 3 years ago

Ya know, watching this thread is kind of like watching turtles fuck.

Hey. Someone had to say it.

#207 3 years ago

I don't know, man...I kind of find that fascinating:

3741071999_6f14906067_(resized).jpg

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't know, man...I kind of find that fascinating:

I don't think anyone ever wanted Boob to "come out of his shell."

#209 3 years ago

I'll trade you projects.

image_(resized).jpeg

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just realized today that I HATE installing diverters. For some reason, it's just a royal pain in the ass, and I wonder if anybody else struggles to get it right the way I do..

Yes, I did my diverter install last night. PITA, especially because I forgot to take pictures of the order... I think this is correct (see photo below: diverter arm, metal bushing, washer, nylon bushing, playfield). I wanted to replace this nylon bearing (20-10283), but couldn't find it at any of the common places. Any leads?

Also, I just discovered last night that my flipper bracket dimples are also a smidge off. didn't realize it until I installed the flippers. Just that slight lateral pressure on the bushing caused friction and the flippers wouldn't return freely. Now I have to fill and re-drill all those holes (in addition to the right kicker dimples that were also off by 1/8").

diverter_1_(resized).jpg
diverter_2_(resized).jpg

#211 3 years ago

Yep. My left flipper dimples were a little hinky...I'm hoping for the best when the flippers go in.

Thanks for the diverter info. My problem was the installation itself. First, the hole for the bushing wasn't wide enough, so I had to Dremel it out a bit. Then, whenever I try to tighten the nut while holding the diverter in the position I want it, it moves. And when I got it in the right spot, there was about a 1/2 inch of play back and forth, so I'm not really sure if I installed it correctly. Had the same problem on Funhouse. Diverters are just a bitch to get installed properly, because being 1/8th of an inch off can bork your game.

We'll see...

#212 3 years ago

NO pinball machine is perfect

Everything is as perfect as you want it to be. If there's some tiny imperfection that only I'll notice, I usually say fuck it and move on. It's your game and your decision, and anybody that points it out is just a dick

#214 3 years ago

Yes, the Scotch brite finishing wheel is awesome. I wasted so much f'ing time on the first few ball guides before I got this tip on Pinside.

This is what I used: amazon.com link »

With the scotch brite wheel, once I got on a roll, I could do a ball guide in like 10 minutes. Scotch brite wheel on a hand drill, then polishing wheel (blue compound), then Blue Magic, then buffing wheel. Badabing done. Amazing.

#215 3 years ago

Echoing those guys, be sure to get a coarse one and a finer one. I knocked out all the metal on JD (which is a TON) in about 40 minutes.

#216 3 years ago

With those wheels tho are you polishing or actually getting a nice grained look?

#217 3 years ago

Grained look. To polish, you would have to go all the way to 2000 grit then use some rouge with a polishing wheel.

#218 3 years ago

I could only find the fine one on Amazon. Do you have a link for the course one?

#219 3 years ago

Not sure if awaiting the next update or the title of this post keeps pulling me back in here...

#220 3 years ago

godfather_Just_when_I_thought_(resized).jpg

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Not sure if awaiting the next update or the title of this post keeps pulling me back in here...

I'm waiting for the picture of the cabinet burning in the back yard as he sobs uncontrollably.

He paid more for the paint and supplies than I did for my entire game. I think I'll go play a game on my "imperfect" AFM while he's picking pieces of dust out of the paint with tweezers and a jeweler's loop.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I'm waiting for the picture of the cabinet burning in the back yard as he sobs uncontrollably.
He paid more for the paint and supplies than I did for my entire game. I think I'll go play a game on my "imperfect" AFM while he's picking pieces of dust out of the paint with tweezers and a jeweler's loop.

Go f**k yourself.

I've been busy being sick, going to Allentown, and with work breaking my balls. A bad time all around, but I'm nearly done with the thing. I'll post the last 16 hours soon.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Go f**k yourself.
I've been busy being sick, going to Allentown, and with work breaking my balls. A bad time all around, but I'm nearly done with the thing. I'll post the last 16 hours soon.

Will the last 16 hours be anything like what I did to this Battlezone on my website - http://pinbald.com/7685.html

This AFM is a fun game. You should "play" one sometime.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Will the last 16 hours be anything like what I did to this Battlezone on my website - http://pinbald.com/7685.html
This AFM is a fun game. You should "play" one sometime.

Great way to dispose of that old BZ cabinet and nice write-up!

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been busy being sick

Sorry we missed you at Allentown.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

what I did to this Battlezone

BZOuthouse_(resized).jpg

To funny

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry we missed you at Allentown.

count your blessings2016_pictures_123_(resized).JPGThank god he brought his wife

#228 3 years ago

I tried to hide, but he found me too

#229 3 years ago

If this keeps up I might have to request this thread be shut down. I love when I start an informative thread just to wind up having my dignity stripped. Or what was left of it.

And many thanks to Skypilot for posting the picture of the Official Pinside Ugly Motherf**ker.

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And many thanks to Skypilot for posting the picture of the Official Pinside Ugly Motherf**ker.

You mean the one next to Janice?

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You mean the one next to Janice?

Yep. That's the one.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I love when I start an informative thread just to wind up having my dignity stripped.

I remember this young lad .I believe he was restoring a Doctor where or who or what. Poor boy had a similar issue with some bastard that keep trying to claim legitimacy to the boy. Terrible times we live in ,terrible times indeed.

#233 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I remember this young lad .I believe he was restoring a Doctor where or who or what. Poor boy had a similar issue with some bastard that keep trying to claim legitimacy to the boy. Terrible times we live in ,terrible times indeed.

True. You should've left him alone. He told me all about you when we went out for ice cream.

Now, can we get back on topic? Oh, wait...there's nothing to talk about.

(Actually, the PF is almost done.)

#234 3 years ago

What was the reason for this thread again?

#235 3 years ago

Some clown trying to emulate Bryan Kelly , I think.

#236 3 years ago

I needed something pointless to read while weed whacking and blowing bubble gum watching my neighbors dog chase squirrels

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Some clown trying to emulate Bryan Kelly , I think.

If I was doing that, I would've used a spray can.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If I was doing that, I would've used a spray can.

My place. Tomorrow. High noon. Bring your spray gun.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My place. Tomorrow. High noon. Bring your spray gun.

I will bring the turtles

1 week later
#241 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll post the last 16 hours soon.

can you define "soon"...

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

can you define "soon"...

images_(resized).jpeg

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

can you define "soon"...

Both of you can suck it. Especially Skypilot, who is well aware that I'm almost done with the game, but because it's the busiest time of year for me (and they're messing with me at work), I haven't had time to post it to Pinside. Soon means soon. You can't rush perfection...

...or a train wreck.

#244 3 years ago

dee7997c97fe576aea016aca15e27197_(resized).jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIMAAAAJDYxMDY5YjRlLTUzMzQtNGY1Ny1iMjJiLWZkMWQ5OTMxMGU1ZQ_(resized).jpg

#245 3 years ago

I've got one quick tip: Retire early. F**king job sucks - used to be awesome. (Kids are still great, though!)

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

because it's the busiest time of year for me

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I haven't had time to post

I'm sending this over to you.th_(resized).jpeg
Play us a song boob,

#247 3 years ago

Day 10: Skypilot's a Dick - See Above (8 hours, give or take)

Look...I honestly don't know how many hours I spent on this thing. I know it's more than 8 but less than 16, so I'll put the work I did for 8 hours here, then post some troubleshooting things I ran into, then I'll catch everybody up with where I'm at. 3 updates, and the next one will be the last.

Sorry for the delay - May is my busiest month, and it seems EVERYBODY has a party this time of year, so my weekends are shot as well.

Let's get to it:

I put the rest of the harnesses on the bottom side and soldered everything in. I didn't tie down the loose wires yet because there's a shitload of mods to be put in, and I wanted to troubleshoot the stuff first in case I had to remove something. So that's why it looks so sloppy at this point:

IMG_1919_(resized).JPG

Then it was time to regrain ball guides. Here's what the guides looked like before regraining:

IMG_1920_(resized).JPG

I hit it with a Festool with 220 grit paper just to rough up the worst areas:

IMG_1921_(resized).JPG

Then hand sanded it with 320:

IMG_1922_(resized).JPG

And finally with green Scotch Brite pads. The entire regraining process took about an hour:

IMG_1923_(resized).JPG

The gates were soaked in CLR and rinsed. Then I treated them with gun blue multiple times, but as you can see, it didn't do shit:

IMG_1914_(resized).JPG

I started repopulating the topside of the playfield. The rear popper was sanded down with a Scotch Brite pad soaked in lacquer thinner, then repainted.

IMG_1924_(resized).JPG

And now, I'd like to tell everybody that Bill Ung is a genius...

IMG_1925_(resized).JPG

...and I'm an idiot:

IMG_1926_(resized).JPG

Note to self: The Bill Ung mods, while awesome, are pretty tough mods to install when you read the directions. Sadly, I forgot to read the directions and use the supplied low-profile phillips head screws, and in attempting to install the LEDs, killed three of them. Bill is awesome and sold me a replacement and didn't make fun of me. But I'm sure Skypilot will.

It was time to hook the playfield up and test everything out before adding plastics and ramps, and my problems and suggestions for others doing this install will be in the next post...

IMG_1931_(resized).JPG

#248 3 years ago

Meanwhile, yzfguy sent me this picture of his son's school project, and I pointed out that his looks quite a bit better than mine.

13277989_10209728920170835_1375353147_n_(resized).jpg

#249 3 years ago

Interlude: Troubleshooting sucks.

So here's when you should definitely NOT work on a restoration:

1. When you're overtired.
2. When you're sick.
3. When you're medicated.
4. When you've left your glasses upstairs and are too lazy to go get them.
5. When you're in a rush.
6. When you're pissed off and want to start a dumpster fire with your restoration.

I learned all of these lessons with this machine, and it's a wonder it turned out as well as it did.

Here were the problems when I powered it up, and what the causes were:

1. I blew fuses 112 and 102. 102 controls solenoids 6-12 (or something like that) and 112 controls the upper half of the GI. (I might have gotten that backwards....I'm tired!)

When I disassembled and cleaned all the coils, I did them in groups sorted by size/power. So when I cleaned all the 1200s and replaced them, I was careful to solder the wires onto the original leads where they were before, even though it didn't matter which lead I soldered it to because there are no diodes on AFM coils, right? Wrong. Some momo in the past put a diode on one of the coils and when I wired it differently that it was (since I put that coil in a different position than it originally was), it blew out a transistor and a fuse.

So even though people busted my balls for overlabelling, the irony here is that I didn't label each coil specifically enough. It would have avoided that problem. Or I could have just cut the diode and forgot about it.

2. The GI problem was caused because of the rotisserie I used. AFM has EVERYTHING going on in the back of the playfield, and normal rotisseries can't hold the playfield properly without doing damage to something in the back 3 inches on the bottom. My rotisserie had bent one tab on a GI socket and created a short which blew the fuse.

NOTE TO ANYBODY DOING AN AFM RESTORATION: Do yourself a HUGE favor and build Skypilot's rotisserie, found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-pilots-rotisserie-plans

It allows for all that stuff in the back of the playfield and makes it easy to attach the back panel without having to completely remove the PF from the rotisserie, as I had to do. Building that is my next project. Hey...the guy knows his shit!

I also have to re-pin the backbox connector because the lights are buggy and the connection is borked. Not a big deal.

But the greatest illustration of my frustration comes with this problem, which puts how I feel about this restoration in a nutshell:

IMG_1934_(resized).jpg

Yes...the f**king ball doesn't fit down the lane. Why? Because I ordered the wrong lane plastics. So now I've reordered new ones and have to wait to put them in and install the ramps. Which brings me to the next update...

#250 3 years ago

Day 11: Finishing up (Who gives a shit how many hours? This thing's already taken too long!)

Spent quite some time installing the mods: LEDs in the plexi backboard (which don't work) and all the Bill Ung stuff, which I'm still assembling. Also had to drill out old rivets and re-rivet everything.

Do yourself a favor if you plan to do more than one machine. Get this riveter from pinrestore.com and get yourself one extra long die for getting into those hard to reach places on ramps. It's well worth the money:

IMG_1935_(resized).JPG

Spent some time assembling the ramps as well, and they're all set to be put in after I get the new lane plastics:

IMG_1933_(resized).JPG

The main UFO has been cleaned, painted, and assembled as well with the Pinbits strobe. All small UFOs have been painted as well and Bill Ung mods installed. Pictures of all of that will be up with my final update.

And that's where I'm at. The PF is in the game and everything is ready to be finished up. All switches, coils and lights work, and I'm just waiting on the parts. The machine will be done and moved to the game room in time for Memorial Day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 99.00
There are 344 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside