Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I'm helping a friend troubleshoot his Black Knight LE pinball machine. It randomly resets during game play. The 40 pin interconnect has been replaced. We have socketed all the eproms and processor and replaced around half of the chips on the board. We repaired some broken wires on the right and left flipper solenoids. I'm just not sure if it's a logic issue or a power supply issue. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
#2 8 years ago

What causes the reset. Is it random? Flippers?

Check the 5vdc
check the amount of ac ripple on the 12v line
check the flippers blocking diodes.

#3 8 years ago

Barakandl, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the reset is totally random. I have even just let the machine sit and it will reset. I started a game and didn't shoot the ball, just let it sit there and it would reset. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it doesn't do it and we can play it for a long time.

I will check the 5vdc line. I don't have an o-scope to see the ripple on the 12V line. I will verify the flipper diodes too.

Thank you for the advice, it's what I need at this point.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from slaker2k2:

Barakandl, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the reset is totally random. I have even just let the machine sit and it will reset. I started a game and didn't shoot the ball, just let it sit there and it would reset. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it doesn't do it and we can play it for a long time.
I will check the 5vdc line. I don't have an o-scope to see the ripple on the 12V line. I will verify the flipper diodes too.
Thank you for the advice, it's what I need at this point.

A DMM can detect ripple. Set it to low AC volts and go across the 12v filter cap leads. On a 12v filter cap you want to see less than a quarter volt or so of ripple. If you have a cheap meter, they have trouble detecting ac in this range.

Having low 12v (10v or less) and the AC input before the bridge is well above 12v is another indication of filter cap problems.

#5 8 years ago

Also reflow the ac input plug on the power board. I have seen problems there with loose connections and cracked solder. I think it is the smaller of the two square plugs.

#6 8 years ago

Great info!! Thank you again. I'm going to head over to my friends house on Tuesday to work on the machine some more. I will check these things out and will report back. I can't thank you enough for your advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-black-knight-reset-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.