IMG_20230626_173520503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230626_173505611 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230626_173444356 (resized).jpg
IMG_7018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
20230523_181114 (resized).jpg
E0D26D12-A2CC-4BAA-BC29-A82B91D08AF4 (resized).jpeg
D8A6016F-FAB0-43A8-86B0-4E894991B4C9 (resized).jpeg
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 1 year ago

Soon to join the club and I want the sound mod

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

I like it. Add more of his dialogue and his sighing:

I can toy with more vocals but replacing this music alone isn't easy. Here are some (possibly TMI) fun audio facts to explain why adding more dialogue would unlikely work:

A. There are 4 extremely short, separate files to work with (intro, 1st, 2nd, outro) and the replacements have to be cut to the exact length as stock music, otherwise animation timing doesn't match up or one bleeds to the other or one of them doesn't play at all.

B. Basically the extremely short intro (fraction of a second) plays regardless, then the 1st cut repeats (loops) over and over for each bonus received, until finally the 2nd cut plays, then the outro (1st and 2nd are allowed 2 secs each, outro less than 2 secs). That's why in the video you hear cut/loops like so: intro-1st-1st-1st-2nd-outro.

C. Depending on your amount of bonuses or none at all, the 1st won't even play, so it can often be simply: intro-2nd-outro.

D. I mixed in "I hate the fu**ing eagles, man" into the outro (with again less than 2 seconds to use) because I feel that's a reliable place for it.

In summary, if I were to say mix dialogue into the 1st cut, that new dialogue would be repeated and sound like a hip hop DJ cutting up and looping a vocal sample if that makes sense. I don't think people would like that. I might be able to leverage the 2nd cut for "sighs" but again it could sound weird at times. I'll play around a bit more but just wanted to mention the limitations here.

With all this said I plan to have a random variation where you don't hear The Dude's dialogue, just the aforementioned Eagles song cuts. Plus I have 3 other soundtrack songs I'm messing around with as alternatives. So if this all works out, there will be at least 4-5 different, random options to be heard in Bonus/after ball drain, stock music included.

#103 1 year ago

Thanks for the effort! The bonus sounds/music are there for a reason but my point is you’re so mad, mostly for losing the ball, some dialogue about hating the Eagles takes it to another level.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

Thanks for the effort! The bonus sounds/music are there for a reason but my point is you’re so mad, mostly for losing the ball, some dialogue about hating the Eagles takes it to another level.

Agree 100%! While looking at the remaining soundtrack songs we hadn't yet implemented, I knew Peaceful Easy Feeling had a place somewhere, but only where appropriate. To give credit where credit's due, it was actually @jyeakley's genius idea to put it in the Bonus/ball drain, so that's why I implemented it. Then of course while doing so, I thought, "Hmm, I wonder if I could also mix in 'I hate the xxxxx eagles' dialogue since that scene / dialogue isn't even in the game today." I think it's going to be a great option once I iron it out. Really appreciate the feedback!

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

I tried cutting in more dialog from that scene but its not going to work given the aforementioned time limitations + the background noise & music in the movie scene itself. So I think I'm sticking with just "I hate the fu**ing Eagles, man" at the outro.

#106 1 year ago

Here's a short example of one of the other Bonus options I'm working on--the outro of the song, I Hate You by The Monks.

Added 11 months ago:

Sorry had to remove the video. Just play the game yourself to hear all now 4-5 variations for bonus.

1 week later
#107 1 year ago

Looking forward to giving this a shot. Thx jyeakley

#108 1 year ago

I purchased a few weeks ago, but just installed tonight.
I love the upgrade. Well done.

1 week later
#109 1 year ago

Not sure if you all have noticed the bonus sound sequences on the new release, but timlah79 killed it. It is impressive

#110 1 year ago

What is the latest version?

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

What is the latest version?

2 weeks later
#112 11 months ago

Such an amazing mod! Can’t wait to put it on my machine when I get one. How much would I need to pay you for a version without the Gambler though…. Worse than the Eagles, man!

#113 11 months ago

I have actually had a few requests to remove the Gambler. I think the current version is polished up pretty nice. I might do another version with an alternate playlist…just for variety. Or maybe do a larger collection to randomize

#114 11 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

I have actually had a few requests to remove the Gambler. I think the current version is polished up pretty nice. I might do another version with an alternate playlist…just for variety. Or maybe do a larger collection to randomize

Count me as another request. I was actually gonna mount the image in Linux and try to remove it myself but if you’re thinking of doing it I’ll hold off.

#115 11 months ago

Alright. I may regret this. But suggestions from the group on songs you all would like to see?

#117 11 months ago

A movie purist version would be awesome.

#118 11 months ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

agreed.

#119 11 months ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

This would be a great idea. I would be in for it.

#120 11 months ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

ditto

#121 11 months ago

Agree. Would love a version with more movie songs and picks the most appropriate mode songs that that sometimes come up.

#122 11 months ago

I'm not promising anything, but if I find the time I'm going to enhance the existing script to allow for customizations. The plan is you would place a config file on a USB drive, and if the USB is plugged in at startup it would read the config and override some of the music choices based on your own preferences. That could be you just want to swap out a single song with a different one and let it randomize everything else, or you want to pick your own song choice for everything and have it play those every time, including any new music files you put on the USB drive. And if the USB isn't plugged in, the script would work just like it does now.

#123 11 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I'm not promising anything, but if I find the time I'm going to enhance the existing script to allow for customizations. The plan is you would place a config file on a USB drive, and if the USB is plugged in at startup it would read the config and override some of the music choices based on your own preferences. That could be you just want to swap out a single song with a different one and let it randomize everything else, or you want to pick your own song choice for everything and have it play those every time, including any new music files you put on the USB drive. And if the USB isn't plugged in, the script would work just like it does now.

That would be awesome!

#124 11 months ago

Very interesting and exciting, but

I reviewed the thread and as a brand new TBL owner...

I'm not seeing how to get this? how to install? and what needs to be done to accomplish having this option!!

apologies for my ignorance

thanks!

#125 11 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Very interesting and exciting, but
I reviewed the thread and as a brand new TBL owner...
I'm not seeing how to get this? how to install? and what needs to be done to accomplish having this option!!
apologies for my ignorance
thanks!

Shoot me a PM for details...

#126 11 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I was thinking about this a little bit. Is it possible for the music selection script to be run on a cron schedule, or can it only be called once on boot? Is it possible to use soft links for the audio files that the system expects to point to the alternate files?

#127 11 months ago
Quoted from RobF:

I was thinking about this a little bit. Is it possible for the music selection script to be run on a cron schedule, or can it only be called once on boot? Is it possible to use soft links for the audio files that the system expects to point to the alternate files?

No - DP loads them into memory after they boot.

#128 11 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

No - DP loads them into memory after they boot.

I tried a few things several months ago and came to that conclusion. I tested having the script running under cron every 10 minutes and had it changing the files through move commands to handle the song that could be in use while the script was running. I could see that it was doing what I wanted through logging, but the updated songs weren't picked up until after a reboot.

#129 11 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I tested it out with a couple songs and got it working. I'm a version behind so I just need to get the latest image from jyeakley and then update the script to handle every music file. If you want to have it run any customizations, a FAT32 formatted USB drive with a single file master_music.config file on it plugged in at startup is all that is needed. Additional music or callouts beyond what jyeakly and timlah79 can be added too.

For example if you want to use the Eagles version of Hotel California that you generated into intro and loop parts for some reason this would go in the config file:

HOTEL_CALIFORNIA_INTRO=eagles_hotelcalifornia_intro.wav
HOTEL_CALIFORNIA_LOOP=eagles_hotelcalifornia_loop.wav

And if you want to still randomize Hotel California, but exclude song numbers 5 and 6:

HOTEL_CALIFORNIA_EXCL=5,6

If you don't want to randomize at all and just use the same song every time you would just exclude everything but that 1 song:

HOTEL_CALIFORNIA_EXCL=2,3,4,5,6,7

I still need to do some testing on it to make sure everything is working.

#130 11 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Shoot me a PM for details...

Are you running version 1.12 now?

#131 11 months ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Are you running version 1.12 now?

Yes, I have an updated image, but have t uploaded it yet.

That said, DP updates can happen as they normally would. They do not impact the music.

#132 11 months ago

The script updates to allow for music and callout customizations is tested and ready to go. I'm going to send the files to jyeakley now for distribution.

A couple things. First, I successfully updated the code from 1.11 to 1.12 with the new music script in place, and there were no issues with that, everything still works. Second, I'm glad I tested it and looked at the logs because I discovered a problem that was in the prior version of the script too with the new OS. Since the script runs at bootup to copy the music it sometimes wouldn't completely finish up before the game code tried to load the files. This didn't cause any huge issues, but sometimes the song changes made by that run of the script wouldn't take effect, at least until the next startup. And sometimes the game startup would fail and need to restart itself if it was trying to load a given file at the same time the script was copying it. To avoid these issues I put in a 30 second delay before the game code starts up to give the music script enough time to finish copying all of the songs and callouts. There's a music script startup screen now with a countdown timer at the bottom because I know a black screen with nothing going on for a while would freak people out.

20230523_181114 (resized).jpg20230523_181114 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#133 10 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

The script updates to allow for music and callout customizations is tested and ready to go. I'm going to send the files to jyeakley now for distribution.
A couple things. First, I successfully updated the code from 1.11 to 1.12 with the new music script in place, and there were no issues with that, everything still works. Second, I'm glad I tested it and looked at the logs because I discovered a problem that was in the prior version of the script too with the new OS. Since the script runs at bootup to copy the music it sometimes wouldn't completely finish up before the game code tried to load the files. This didn't cause any huge issues, but sometimes the song changes made by that run of the script wouldn't take effect, at least until the next startup. And sometimes the game startup would fail and need to restart itself if it was trying to load a given file at the same time the script was copying it. To avoid these issues I put in a 30 second delay before the game code starts up to give the music script enough time to finish copying all of the songs and callouts. There's a music script startup screen now with a countdown timer at the bottom because I know a black screen with nothing going on for a while would freak people out.
[quoted image]

Testing this out over the next week or two. Should be ready in a couple weeks. Great stuff @ksp1138!

#134 10 months ago

I'm in for a new version HD and script when the light turns green.

1 week later
#135 10 months ago

v9 should be ready for some testers!

This image has been updated to TBL 1.12 and now supports the music config to customize the playlists!

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in testing it out!

Killer update, Thanks @ksp1138!

2 weeks later
#136 10 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

v9 should be ready for some testers!
This image has been updated to TBL 1.12 and now supports the music config to customize the playlists!
Shoot me a PM if you are interested in testing it out!
Killer update, Thanks KSP1138!

Is this new version ready?

#137 10 months ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Is this new version ready?

Yeah, ping me.

If anyone here with some desire to help has a newer (past month) TBL, please PM me. It looks like DP started shipping with different LCD panels and the image I use doesn’t have the offset since the older machines are smaller.

Anyhow, I need to figure out how much the screen needs to be moved down (there is a setting for this in 1.12)

IMG_7018 (resized).jpegIMG_7018 (resized).jpegIMG_7019 (resized).jpegIMG_7019 (resized).jpeg

#138 10 months ago

I've got a new one with the larger LCD. I don't have the HDD to replace the audio yet but was going to work on that when on got back from a business trip mid-week. LMK if nobody reaches out sooner.

#139 10 months ago
Quoted from JToeps:

I've got a new one with the larger LCD. I don't have the HDD to replace the audio yet but was going to work on that when on got back from a business trip mid-week. LMK if nobody reaches out sooner.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

#140 10 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Yeah, ping me.
If anyone here with some desire to help has a newer (past month) TBL, please PM me. It looks like DP started shipping with different LCD panels and the image I use doesn’t have the offset since the older machines are smaller.
Anyhow, I need to figure out how much the screen needs to be moved down (there is a setting for this in 1.12)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are the newer lcds just taller? Or are they wider?

Just curious.

#141 10 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Are the newer lcds just taller? Or are they wider?
Just curious.

My assumption is just taller (since DP just added that adjustment), but I can’t be certain until I work with someone that has one.

#142 10 months ago

Great work on this guys. Could you guys figure out how to add songs ect. to a pinball brothers game or a JJP game.

#143 10 months ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Yeah, ping me.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have one of these newer ones as well, and a new HDD all ready to go. Just tell me what it is you need, and I'll be happy to help.

#144 10 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

I have one of these newer ones as well, and a new HDD all ready to go. Just tell me what it is you need, and I'll be happy to help.

Any chance you can post a couple pictures of how the speakers and lcd are mounted to the back of the speaker panel?

#145 10 months ago

Can do:

IMG_20230626_173444356 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173444356 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173605025 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173605025 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173505611 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173505611 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173520503 (resized).jpgIMG_20230626_173520503 (resized).jpg

#146 10 months ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Can do:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool- thx!!

Just curious does the top part of the monitor get hid behind the translite?

#147 10 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Cool- thx!!
Just curious does the top part of the monitor get hid behind the translite?

Yes, that would be correct. You can see how it might look if you check out post #137 above; the translight covers the top part of the monitor.

2 weeks later
#148 9 months ago

Hello I have just received my 2 days ago. Number 977 with code 1.12. It has the same monitor. Very heavy one I would be very glad if any dude here has the image with the very nice soundtrack many thanks for this work and the help !!

#149 9 months ago
Quoted from Guigui70:

Hello I have just received my 2 days ago. Number 977 with code 1.12. It has the same monitor. Very heavy one I would be very glad if any dude here has the image with the very nice soundtrack many thanks for this work and the help !!

Shoot me a PM!

#150 9 months ago

Two questions. I have a version 1.11 and just received the brand new larger screen lcd #949 will this version work with the new screen. Also does anyone have pictures of install. I don’t know where to plug in thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.50
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-sound-mod/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.