(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,366 posts
  • 620 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by corvair61
  • Topic is favorited by 195 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 980 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG-8056 (resized).JPG
F2599988-C68D-4D12-80C7-3530DB579DCE.jpeg
0456FA42-B074-4D09-BBF1-7C6A1B7C0CCA.jpeg
F9362453-BE04-469A-8A56-8876A53AB26A.jpeg
460E016D-76D9-4794-9B2D-6385298E8DA6 (resized).jpeg
FFA8DAA8-4008-4877-80FD-7DA79B1FFC90 (resized).jpeg
B47E0F03-2069-490A-B672-5CC4892CF5E7 (resized).jpeg
FEA676B7-B6A8-4BA5-AC73-0E38E01A8558 (resized).jpeg
2D8ACBB4-50D0-464E-BDED-96E839E13863 (resized).jpeg
A1436FB7-23DB-4187-84DD-2571F4FC26CC (resized).jpeg
CE823DD5-B4DE-4E3D-BF99-75C65C6F44A9 (resized).jpeg
794E8DA2-DC10-4EBF-BF10-2F3F4F6C933C (resized).jpeg
86FBF9DC-3068-4867-9F86-81DCD13CC1F2 (resized).jpeg
FA4581F0-22F7-41F1-BE32-988CCFC3F9B7 (resized).jpeg
200B3E55-9811-44E3-9630-A1FD6E61A6C2 (resized).jpeg
A76E850E-005A-4AFA-BE4A-DA72E5538DDF (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (3 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (3 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (3 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (3 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (2 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (2 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (2 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (2 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #3650 Report from a dinner with Barry of Dutch Pinball. Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #3951 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #4259 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #5004 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #5229 DP update about an alternative manufacturer Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #5461 Details on June 19th DP Livestream Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #6420 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by KoenHeltzel (2 years ago)

Post #6684 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Concretehardt (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Terrible communication. Par for the course.
Why wouldn't you have open source code to allow swapping out the songs?

Just like I don't want to go to a restaurant and cook my own dinner, I don't want to spend $9000 on a pinball machine then have to put my own sound in.

For those who have done it, if you put the sound in yourself, how well integrated can it be to the gameplay?

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Woz needed to be recomposed and nobody bought it because of what Granner did, we bought in spite of the music.

Not true. When I heard Chris Granner's shooter lane composition tying together a few of the main WOZ songs, I was sold. He has created some of my favorite pinball sound packages and his original arrangements and the way they are tied into the game play on WOZ are a HUGE value add to me.

The thing with TBL is you knew what you were getting with the original music. Now, that aspect of the game and who will be doing the composing are unknown, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

1 month later
#839 4 years ago

That bowling alley looks sweet!
Does anyone know if they are gearing up to build the machines there or are they still being made by a contract manufacturer?

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You'd hope so, but CGC using Stern as the contract manufacturer for MMR hasn't caused them to move particularly quickly.

Sure there have been issues, but I would wager using Stern was still faster than building an assembly factory, then hiring and training a workforce.

3 weeks later
#974 4 years ago

I did not pre-order TBL as it isn't a must have theme to me, but I've been following along as the game looks very impressive.

I have been in on other pre-orders though. I think it helps to just expect that in exchange for the initial goodies and discounts you will be in for a much longer ride than the company anticipates, with a lotta ins and outs and what-have-you's along the way.

In the end, when you get your machine the long wait is quickly forgotten.

3 weeks later
#984 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Can I still pre order this game?

Also, are there any incentives to pre-ordering at this time?

3 weeks later
#1043 3 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

check your mail gentlemen...

Looking forward to hearing the latest news when you guys get around to sharing it here. No hurry.

#1049 3 years ago

Ooooh, it's getting close. I'm also happy for all you guys on the pre-order!

1 month later
#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide1458312389983-477505798_(resized).jpg

Wow! Very exciting news that games are shipping. I'm not in on the pre-order but anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Did Cointaker bring some to the show to sell?

Edit: I see on the flyer they are taking pre-orders, so assume none for sale at the show.

1 month later
#1341 3 years ago

Wow! Lebowski is in the States! Congrats PDXMonkey!

1 month later
#1681 3 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Sorry guys, I've had a few issues with the machine I need to sort out before I film anymore gameplay - doesn't seem to be much point until everything is working as intended.

Thank you for your service.

I figure with the start-up companies like DP, Spooky, JJP, etc.. the earliest buyers essentially act as beta testers to help the manufacturer fix any lingering issues.

8 months later
#3513 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Again the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

Yes, it must be the "middle truth".

3 months later
#5189 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

DP is done. DONE. No one will ever buy another game from them ever again. Their name is in the same league as JPop. They could deliver all 300 TBLs tomorrow...

You underestimate the power of pinball!

Say DP gets all the TBLs made and provides good support without anyone losing any money, just watch people lining up if they announce the next game is Blade Runner or "insert your grail theme here".

#5346 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I am putting a placeholder on this as it might be news. Are you saying that DP charged you 8500, is paying VAT out of their end, and only nets $7000 usd out of their end?

If the machine was payed for in 2014 I think DP would have netted close to $8500 usd at that time. The value of the euro has dropped quite a bit compared to the dollar since then.

#5349 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

My question is less about the value of the euro and dollar at the time and more about who paid VAT - DP or the customer? If "DP", then non-VAT customers were perhaps subsidizing the VAT differential. If everyone paid the same, but for VAT customers, VAT was netted out of the 8500 USD, then that might be a problem.
That leads to a whole different line of questioning. If DP nets out VAT, did they pay it right away? Or did they plan on paying as the machines were delivered? A great question for the QA period. Hopefully it is a non-issue.

I'm thinking if Rensh paid 7500 euros in 2014 that would have been about $10500 usd. If I remember correctly, US buyers were paying about $9k usd. This would suggest DP was not paying the VAT for the customer.

#5419 2 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I mean really, how much money are any one of us willing to just flush down a toilet for a gamble....an 8.5k paid in full achiever spot at this moment is in my opinion worth about $2500 cash. circumstances look TERRIBLE...all signs point to total loss.

If a full achiever spot is worth so little in your estimation, then likewise, I would think games in hand should be worth close to BBB or MG values given how good the game is and how rare it is likely to become.

Edit: I have no horse in this race but have friends who do.

1 week later
#5635 2 years ago

I expect there are a lot more ins and outs and what-have-yous than we're aware of.

One thing that comes to mind, didn't DP need to redesign some things along the way? If so, wouldn't that cost ARA time and money? Were provisions to deal with this sort of thing put into the contract?

#5652 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What bank is going to lend that group a million or so in money?

I think he did mention something about the possibility of angel investors on the video.

#5694 2 years ago

One thing I don't understand. I've heard from different manufacturers that it cost over $1 million to develop a game. How much it actually cost DP is unknown but TBL is pretty complex and if it cost anywhere near this amount, how do they make money by selling only 300 games? Is their license limited?

#5716 2 years ago

I think DP has to have something more to offer investors/banks than the revenue generated by the completion of 300 TBL machines if they're going to make it.

By most accounts, TBL is an excellent machine. If they could make and sell say a 1000 of them, maybe that could do it.

2 months later
#5992 2 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

A friend told me they are going to be producing some special edition machines that will be assembled on the moon. I don't have the email but that's what I heard.

Makes sense. Pinball machines are easier to assemble in a low gravity environment.

#6000 2 years ago

I sure hope they find a way to get that production line going again. I think there are a lot of people on the sidelines waiting to buy this game if they start producing them in quantity.

8 months later
#7387 1 year ago
Quoted from highdef:

Don't be a schmuck.

Unfortunately, DP has not been completely truthful in the past. Makes it hard to accept their quoted communications as fact.

#7391 1 year ago
Quoted from highdef:

Agree 100%

Do you really believe Universal told DP to "carry on as you wish" (or with whomever) and granted an extension on the license without due diligence?
Have you ever licensed a major property and put your name on it?
Let's be real here.

I really don't know what to believe. Can you be certain they even communicated with Universal and got approval and an extension?

Not saying they didn't, but to me, once a company starts lying, all bets are off.

#7396 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Besides the PCB lie

That is the blatant one I was remembering. Edited initial post.

#7469 1 year ago
Quoted from EternalLife:

There is money to be made for sure, if all the passion in this thread is any indication. There's nothing in it for anyone if the game dies before it has a chance to hit the market in large numbers. Good luck to all the EA's, and everyone not in but would like to see the game in production and available to purchase... if you will it Dudes, it is no dream..

Agree. It will be a crying shame if TBL and Alien never make it into mass production.

Such great games and theme implementations that actually shipped, unlike the half baked JPOP games.

1 month later
#8057 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Congratulations on graduating, acceptance is the final stage of regret. Time to go outside for a smoke or to find some birthday cake to eat.

The five stages of grief:

1)denial
2)anger
3)bargaining
4)depression <<<<
5)acceptance

I'd say current sentiment is somewhere between 3 and 4.

#8095 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Sh!t now I wish I would of donated

You had a "chance" to win one of those items. Who knows what the requirements were. Maybe every $20k donated would release one item for a drawing. I will be pleasantly surprised if the people who donated receive anything.

#8151 1 year ago

It's hard to get community support when there is no trust for how the money will be used or the likelihood of success.

More likely to get community support if Ara agreed to release the games for the money owed them and the money could come from an escrow account supplied by the community. I would throw some money towards the cause if I thought it had a good chance to succed.

#8172 1 year ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

Shell game...LOL....like this has all been some big ploy to scam us and run off to a tropical island. Enough with the nonsense... It's just a bad situation. They're trying...

Agreed. If their goal was some elaborate con, there has to be a much easier way. I think the expense and difficulty of going from prototype to production was much greater than they expected (stating the obvious, i know).

Now they're stuck in the weeds. Hope they can find a way out but chances seem slim. Kind of ironic that it's all about the money.

3 weeks later
#8276 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure how this makes sense? Why are future customers more important the Existing customers?

Again, it's all about the money. The company has no more money. Future customers bring in new money. Prepaid customers and present owners have no more money to give.

Do you suggest a software programmer work for free to enhance games that are already working and worth a lot of money when there is no chance of compensation from future sales ?

11 months later
#9555 5 months ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Well, to be Devil's Advocate here...Barry could go to potential partners, and say/show them "Look, we just sold 40 units in minutes basically, at 12.5k a pop. The demand for this game is there."

Yes, but if they were to announce a large production run, how many people do you think would still be lining up to pay the 12.5k?

2 weeks later
#10128 5 months ago
Quoted from dts:

If I were an EA, I might have considered it, gambling that if I ever got the game I paid for, I could sell it. But $21k is insane for a pinball machine.

I think the choice was to be out $8500 and go through all this with nothing to show for it or to spend 12.5k and get a great game to enjoy and perhaps recoup some of your losses later.

That seems very different than just spending 21k for a new game.

Edit: If given the opportunity, this would have been the EA's choice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Francisco, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 21.00
$ 13.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside