(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,279 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Scotty_K
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5051 6 years ago

As I wrote in the other thread about class action, I have no horse in this race other than an interest in the TBL machine.

However, having skimmed through the latest events, my opinion as an outsider with some experience in business is as follows (for what it is worth, to most of you I am just a random stranger on the net ).

I would not trust Dutch Pinball at this point. This is simply based on their communication (content and style) and that they are obviously putting their majority ownership interest above the survival of the company.
It should be perfectly clear to them that without resolving this situation swiftly and smoothly, DP has no future at all. 49% of something or 100% of nothing? If you have *any* business experience, the choice here should be very simple.

Edit to elaborate, even though obvious: As a small operator in a niche industry, consumer trust is an asset they cannot afford to lose. They will not be able to produce future products with a reputation tarnished by 100+ customers not receiving product paid for.

Also to take into consideration is the fact that they got themselves into this position in the first place. There has been mentions of "breach of contract". That sounds more as if there is disagreement over the terms, which seems to imply the contract was poorly written.
There could be a power/size difference of the companies involved (DP is a small, even part time(?) business and ARA is a mid-size operation?), and there could well be the case that ARA is taking advantage of that fact and that DP might be in the right.
However, and this is important, DP is *still* responsible for getting into that situation and is beholden to customers that have prepaid.

Their focus, and their *only* focus, at this point should be to ride this out with their reputation intact. If so, they can always sell the remaining 49% and start another company.
On the other hand, if this ends in misery (which looks quite likely at this point), they not only lose their business but their personal reputations as well. I would never risk that.

My advice (again FWIW) would be to get a lawyer and threaten legal action while explaining the above (reputation and the impossibility of a future if this is not resolved) hoping for a change of mind. If not, sue. You have absolutely nothing to lose IMHO.

(Again, not a lawyer, advice given FWIW, etc. yada, yada). Good luck to everyone - hope it works out!

1 week later
#5296 6 years ago

While not invested I am following this thread with great interest. I'd like to reiterate a piece of advice though:

Those of you with partial or full preorders and located within the EU: Why don't you simply leverage the very strong consumer protection laws available to you as EU citizens? Non-delivery is a pretty big deal, and you could use the legal framework to force DP to disclose information without starting (potentially expensive) civil legal proceedings.
Granted, depending on how the complaint is handled in the country/ies involved this might take a while to reach a conclusion, but the filing of the matter will on its own put added pressure on DP to come clean.

Something they actually need to do regardless if they want to have any future in this business whatsoever. As it currently stands I wouldn't order a TBL even if it was in a box in front of me. :/

#5339 6 years ago

Just a thought: If there is going to be a deal involving equity with any party down the line, ARA in particular, the split should be:
DP: 49%
ARA: 49%
Joint venture of preorder owners: 2%.

You, the actual investors at this point, would have the final vote, ensuring that the parties act in your best interest.
A contract governing this would deal with how and when the 2% would be handled when the preorder holders are "bought out" using the finished machines.

Some may think I'm trolling, but I am actually half serious. This would restore some faith in both parties, guarantee transparency, and likely have the best chance of seeing machines actually produced.

Not likely that it will realistically happen, but I'm throwing the idea out there.

1 week later
#5523 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

...The math is not that complicated. Many people posting on this thread haven't given the math a good thinkin'.
If DP collected money for 190 machines, that is about 1,615,000 bucks at $8,500 usd per machine. About 50 machines have been delivered. If DP spent X, then what they have left to completely build the remaining 140 EA games is 1,615,000 - X. This figure is what they have left to pay a new CM.
The first big question is what does X equal?
Taxes (you don't receive 1.6m bucks without paying the tax man)?

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but *if* they know what they are doing you are wrong about taxation. The funds paid by preorder customer should have been marked as the short term debt that they are, as such they would not be profit and therefor not taxed. The taxation would happen when they realise the profit.

Since I'm posting about that detail anyway I might as well offer my unsolicited opinion on the recent events. I actually cannot believe that people are letting them get away with this still.

(And by "getting away with" I mean that it is quite clear they are not transparent. If I understand correctly, they are talking about seeking financing to build more machines with a new CM. That sounds like a ponzi scheme to me. The preorder money is severely depleted due to salaries, trade shows, etc. and they now need to solicit more funding to actually deliver what you already paid for.
I have to question whether that is even legal at this point.)

#5550 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I don't think it's safe to assume that a Dutch company operates in the same fashion as a C corp in the USA.

My reference is both US and Swedish corporate taxation. I think it's safe to assume that dutch corporations are not taxed until they report profit. The preorder revenue should not have been treated as profit, so I would be very surprised if it was taxed.

However, what DP actually did with the funds and how they were treated in the bookkeeping is another matter entirely.

#5551 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not sure how it works there, but here - if you pay yourself a salary, in general you will be paying taxes of some form.

That's personal income tax. I was talking about corporate tax. DP should not have turned a profit from a bookkeeping perspective if the funds were properly handled. If owners/employees drew big salaries and drained the company that way is another discussion.

#5559 6 years ago
Quoted from cudabee:

They are forced by dutch law to take a salary with ,if i remember correct, a minimum of 40000 a year and pay income taxes over that amount.

What kind of company are they using then? Sounds like a simpler kind of company, not equivalent to a limited company?

And regardless, if a company is not turning a profit, and has no free assets, surely no country would require owners to take salary from said company - or enforce income tax?

If what you are saying is true, one or more of these must apply:
1. DP is lying (if what you describe is what they are stating)
2. They did not incorporate the equivalent of a limited company, but rather a company type which has less solid boundaries between the company itself and the owner(s) individual income/tax status.
3. They did not file the preorder funds as liabilities.

One could argue that only part of the preorder funds would be treated as liabilities and the rest would be regarded as profit. Which would indeed leave the company with either corporate tax, or allow for salaries (=income tax + any social fees). However, again, experienced individuals would be really careful to prematurely chalk down a big percentage as profit.

Anyway, I think DP - and possible the owners as well - have run out of money. And I have no horse in the race so take it for what it's worth.

I have a big interest in TBL though and the business of pinball design / manufacture.

#5564 6 years ago

Sorry, this is just too fascinating.

Dutch Pinball appears to be a B.V., Besloten Vennootschap ≈ Private Limited Liability Company. From my passing reading of dutch taxation, corporate tax is determined by the profit reported by the BV. The BV is a legal entity and is wholly separate from the owners.

As such, had they been responsible the preorder money would have been earmarked as short term liabilities, with some margin. That margin would have been used to cover salaries, but the rest would not have been considered profit and would not have been taxed.

Granted, it is possible that *all* preorder money was considered revenue and turned into profit. Also possible that some/all of it was used for salaries or dividends.

What's interesting is that it looks as if anyone can order the financial details on DP. I'm not going to spend money on it, but those of you invested may be interested in it. At least this looks like a page where you can order financial info. Not sure how much info is public in The Netherlands, but in many countries the basic financial reports submitted by a corporation are public for anyone to request.

https://www.kvk.nl/orderstraat/product-kiezen/?kvknummer=591881460000

#5565 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

No, AFAIK what was stated by cudabee is broadly correct.
Dutch Pinball are indeed a B.V. - essentially very similar to an Ltd (UK), LLC (US) or GmbH (DE).
I'm a recent arrival here (Netherlands), so I'm no expert, but MDs in a BV must take a salary of minimum €45k p.a. or equivalent in dividends. Presumably either one or both of Jaap or Barry are MDs. However it may be possible to defer this? I have no idea what requirements for other classifications of employee are, if any.

Ah, so a dutch BV both has a minimum capital requirement AND a requirement on minimum salary on the part of principal owners?
Sounds dangerous in a situation where they have been stalled. The company is actually potentially "bleeding" money without anything to show for it.
What happens if a dutch company does not have free capital to pay the minimum salaries (which could happen during a product development phase for example) are they then forced into bankruptcy?

Sorry for the slight OT, but I honestly had not expected the above to be true. In Sweden for example, a company can operate as long as its assets do not fall below a certain threshold. It is quite common for owners/managers *not* to draw salary in troubling situations to limit burn.

#5643 6 years ago

Seriously - why don't you just look at the balance sheet and order the rest of the financial info publicly available on DP?
That should be a VERY important factor in the decision regarding whether to just wait or force some other solution.

There is a lot of info that seemingly no one has bothered to get hold of, and yet the baseless arguing continues?

Sorry, reading the thread with genuine interest but the behaviour of some of those with vested interest is puzzling to say the least.

#5647 6 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

They're still in business, aren't they?! I've said it before...this thread is hazardous to your health.

They are still in business because they still have some assets left in the form of preorder money. They are burning through the money that should have been used to produce the machines. Sad, but pretty much irrefutable at this point.

#5734 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

In regard to the 40K salary story. I checked this with a bookkeeper.
There is no minimum salary you have to take out the company but but but the government will tax you like you took out 44KEUR as a salary. So even if you take zero salary taxes will have to paid compliant with a 44K salary. So you might as well take it out as when you leave it in the company you have to company tax on it.
Reason for this taxdepartment wants to avoid people using their company as a saving account (company tax is lower as salary tax). I think an average salary in NL is approx 37K so 44K is not an outrageous salary if you take it out a company.

Respectfully, I still do not think this applies to DP!
The above can *only* be true if the company is turning a profit. DP can not have been turning a profit large enough to allow for those salaries yearly for a few years. They have sold and delivered a few games (10-40?), but the rest of the money they may have access to is liabilities until they deliver.

But for the sake of the argument, let's say they did turn a slight profit and the above tax rules apply. They then had a choice: leave the money in the company and have corporate tax deducted from the 40k, or withdraw the money as salary to avoid corporate tax.

From an owner's private perspective, the latter makes more sense since it transfers the money to his/hers private account for personal taxation after which it is now personal money. But from the corporation's point of view, it is preferable to leave the money in the company where it is still an asset after corporate taxation.

So, no matter how you look at it, for DP's owners/managers to be taking salaries when they are burning money anyway and have too little of it to fulfil obligations is simply wrong. I would even question whether it is legal (depending on what contracts there are with customers and how dutch law regulates obligations towards customers).

#5738 6 years ago

It boggles my mind that there are so many posters in this thread with (seemingly) large pin machine collections that fail to grasp basic business concepts or economics. Did you all inherit money? Or do you live in a large shack with nothing but pinball machines?

You *should* be caring about where the money went and why, especially since there appears to be too little left to build the machines you already paid for. The balance sheet is earlier in the thread, and you can order the rest of the financial info.

I have nothing riding on the DP outcome, so for all practical matters it doesn't matter if DP goes under or not. The only reason *I* post is that I find the story fascinating and hope that people (both in the business of buying and producing machines) learn a thing or two.

But from what I see here, it is more than likely that this ends in tears, and that people still haven't understood how dangerous the preorder/kickstarter business model can be for customers.

But don't worry. This is my last post here as whatever little advice I hoped I could contribute is not making any difference whatsoever. But good luck to each and every one of you. I mean it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 210.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=foxis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.