(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,147 posts
  • 615 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by jeffspinballpalace
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 939 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2m2qc9 (resized).jpg
ATampT-Wireless-Just-OK-TV-Commercial-Translator (resized).jpg
snafubar.png
Cash Machine (resized).jpg
giphy.gif
248E6180-C5FC-42E0-BFDD-3AF29E6979FF (resized).jpeg
6868685D-D473-48C3-A316-0C505EAE7797 (resized).jpeg
27DE3EF0-6251-4D0A-A589-75AEE0E66D81 (resized).jpeg
869AF936-E13C-4A94-BB35-774886977DCF (resized).jpeg
630402B2-B1CB-4066-AEE0-236A564FB65A (resized).jpeg
E4DFF554-5673-4DDA-B93E-88AC92ADF543 (resized).jpeg
1C08CB09-1027-48C0-86AE-5A3093262C3F (resized).jpeg
EA6D8509-4CEA-4D91-AC18-E7244C457EC4 (resized).jpeg
F6DD9947-56E6-41B7-A6F6-AB8DC98D5D95 (resized).jpeg
5DA182BF-9053-4FAF-B3D9-6D112C43844E (resized).jpeg
laugh_o_meter (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (3 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (3 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (3 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (3 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (2 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (2 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (2 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (2 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #3650 Report from a dinner with Barry of Dutch Pinball. Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #3951 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #4259 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Rensh (2 years ago)

Post #5004 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #5229 DP update about an alternative manufacturer Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #5461 Details on June 19th DP Livestream Posted by Nikonokin (2 years ago)

Post #6420 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by KoenHeltzel (2 years ago)

Post #6684 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Concretehardt (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3131 2 years ago

DP needs to deal with this immediately as more delay will cost more money. If indeed ARA have machines ready to ship, it's unlikely that these will eventually just be hauled off to the landfill--they'll get paid one way or the other through auction or directly selling the machines to the original customers for a little extra markup. I seriously doubt they'd simply destroy or trash the machines.

If DP doesn't want that "rug" sliding out from under them they need to cook up a deal (a sour deal maybe) to ask existing customers if they want to pay a little extra for their machine right now and buy out what ARA has. THEN move to a new supplier once all of that is done.

Delays from DP or hiding under the bed aren't going to make things better.

#3278 2 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Let's all go over and just take our games. A good old fashioned pin heist. That would show both parties that you don't mess with a persons dream theme pin. And that's what it fills like when you fuc$ a stranger in the ass.

But what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?

#3305 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

2+2=4 last time I checked

Can you check again?

It's down there somewhere, let me take another look.

#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If Stern were to suddenly go titsup

Please don't make me visualize Gary Stern's tits.

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Therefore, there are only two ways to build a sustainable, medium-sized pinball business organically:

What about a third option... growing the business slowly from a small business, as Spooky appears to be doing?

Maybe there's a way to simply start the manufacturing business first... I've thought a little about that option. The biggest bottleneck for the boutiques is obviously manufacture. Seems like a business opportunity for someone.

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Growing a business slowly, or organically (the terminology I hear the most often), implies growing your business from the margins, or profits, of your existing sales. It requires that you sell a product first. Spooky has done that, and while it's tough and razor thin at the margin level, they can choose to only build product with the cash flow they already have. It's actually the way most longer-term successful business grow. However, it requires a FIRST product. Getting your first product manufactured an out the door is the challenge which those two options demonstrate.
People use the term "bootstrapping" as an example of how to build a business like this. Bootstrapping is another word for self-funding. It implies that you, personally, absorb the cost of the initial product development, manufacture and distribution. You can do this if you have the cash in the bank. This really fits into option 1), as it requires that you are willing to float the company until you hit breakeven.
All of these are viable options!

This is the point I was going for; it appears Charlie built a lot of his business from his own funds. There are dozens of people on Pinside alone who could do the same, I'm assuming... e.g. the wealthy benefactor being the business entrepreneur himself (herself).

Still wondering about the American Pinball model... start a manufacturing business first and forget about a first product. There are more ideas than manufacturing options is my guess. You can either contract with boutiques or bring a creative person with an in-hand concept in (like Scott G. with WOOLY) and produce a game that's ready to be produced.

#3470 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I can't really comment on American Pinball, but I do think it's possible to start a manufacturing business first. However, generally, you should have someone in your company that has done this precise type of manufacturing, at scale, before. Product development is an entirely different beast; Optimizing a manufacturing business is a specialty, and you can't read about it in books and expect to succeed. I would hope that anyone who wants to try this in pinball hires people either who have done it at scale (at Williams or Stern) or from a similar business.

Agreed.

#3530 2 years ago
Quoted from Gutterballs:

It's official, this thread is actually now boring.

#3544 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

You and I both. Mine was was even closer, likely 150 miles to making home when the truck took a dump...Melissa promisssd I will get my dedicated achievers plaque! Good part, fully insured, the bad, having to wait. I've been through a lot with DP, I will continue to stand by their side and hope it all works out for the best!

#3557 2 years ago
Quoted from Gutterballs:

Chadderack,
Those gay StarWars robots really took the beating they deserve. I've always wanted to kick that pretentious 3PO around.

What triggered the video was when you said the thread is boring; then C3PO telling R2 that he was boring came to mind. (I'm like an idiot savant of Simpsons quotes )

2 weeks later
#3805 2 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Fox Studios - Good morning thank you for contacting Fox Studios how can we help you
Rarehero - Hi my name is Rarehero
Fox Studios - *click*
I wouldn't really worry about what Rarehero does.....

Kinda funny. You know Greg works for Fox, right?

#3887 2 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Communication Breakdown?

The subtle detail there gets the upvote.

Or maybe it should be "No Quarter(s)"

#3897 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You really want beetlejuice

Either that or he thinks he's Geena Davis

#4060 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Refund and I vanish from the hobby, basically.

It would be sad if you left the hobby, but completely understandable.

#4221 2 years ago
Quoted from EternalLife:

This thread is becoming very undudelike. Let's try and help DP deliver TBL, not ruin them in the process.

If the Dude set out to make a pin, he'd probably make a couple of drawings on a bar napkin of "The Seattle Seven" and then lose the napkin on the cab ride home.

#4231 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

He's not a jerk, but his fingers often outrun his brain when he's typin away on pinside..

Greg is acting like he's the only person in history to lose out on a speculative preorder...

Give him a break. Apparently he's constantly on the john.

#4410 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just had a nice chat with Barry....and as bonkers as I've been lately, I have to say - I'm feeling pretty positive. With the firing of Rene from ARA...it truly seems like things have the possibility of moving forward. I've heard about Rene from a few different people - and none of it was positive. So, I'm starting to now believe the Dutch extortion story and that Rene was the villain...after all, Rene was just fired! Barry said he didn't mind me posting this, but communication with ARA is happening again and they're meeting with them next week with high hopes to get things back on track.
This information is enough for me to back off from my anger over the situation...new shit has come to light, and I want to see how it plays out.
My apologies to those I have raged on in these heated and emotional times...and if all goes well, I will repeatedly and humbly apologize to DP. Sometimes it's really tough to balance hobbyist friendships when there are customer/seller relationships involved.
So....anyway....here's to the next chapter and hopefully happy ending to this saga.

Well, I for one am glad that you're shitting and not all backed up today

#4416 2 years ago

TBH I follow this thread in hopes that we'll see a positive resolution for all people that don't have games; but also in the off chance that DP get things rolling again if they might open up more TBL spots (eg. make more than the initial allotment).

I kicked myself for not putting money down 3 years ago... maybe things will go well now that new shit has come to light. TBL is one of my favorite movies of all time. One thing I'm fairly certain of, however, is that BOP 3.0 isn't the path for them to get the existing TBL orders filled.

#4463 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I really don't think it's all "haters". I think a lot of people are just trying to say "Stop pre-ordering from unproven companies". We've seen things go south way too often and a lot of people have lost a lot of money. Yet people jump into the hobby and see something shiny and throw their money at it. I know, I know....it's their money and a fool and their money.....yadda, yadda. But I see a lot of it as a warning to others. Although I will admit that it you have "skin in the game" (god I'm really starting to hate that term) that it does come across as rubbing salt in a wound.
And I'm not saying TBL's won't ever ship.....not at all. I hope they do.

There are people in the thread who love to take the "I told you so" position--especially those without a TBL on order, which is fantastic given that hindsight is 20/20. It's irritating to see that even as someone with no TBL order. Fact is, I would have had an order in with Cointaker but the week I had planned to put money down they removed the TBL order form from their site. They had a graphic you'd click on to get an order in, and when I went to order it was gone. Someone had also said they'd sold out. At that point I wasn't interested in being put on a waiting list, because with my luck I know how that goes--I never get called in those situations.

But with all that said, I don't really see a large group of hindsight geniuses here. A few, maybe... but most non-owners want to see everyone get their machines. With a little more confidence I may put some money down or take another's spot if they want out... but let's see how things go. It still doesn't feel real right now.

2 weeks later
#4546 2 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Stay out of this thread with your Lebowski you bum. Just joking man I can't wait.

No worries. The bums always lose

1 week later
#4598 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Mr. Sharpe discusses how he got DP an extension on the TBL license because of the ARA snafu. "Wasn't a problem" "Simple process".

Well, that sounds like actual news. Well done on that one.

#4604 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Apparently the Eagles didn't take kindly to that scene. Further evidence that they suck.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/glenn-frey-was-angry-at-the-big-lebowski-mocking-the-eagles/

(sips White Russian...)

Far out, man...

#4616 2 years ago
Quoted from Ming:

"That girl sure can roll."
Bought not working. Did connectors. She lives.
I would buy a Big Lebowski machine. It would really tie my collection together.

I'd probably try to go for the split on that machine every time

#4620 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Unfortunately, I think the Star Wars announcement will have far more impact and results.
In Star Wars speak:
"You are unwise to lower your defenses." - Darth Vader
"We seem to be made to suffer." - C-3P0

Well May 4th might just be a day for ARA/DP to talk... it probably wouldn't be the day they'd pass along anything to the buyers.

1 week later
#4641 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The DP case could be the most significant or the least significant thing he breached protocol on.

Similar sentiments to mine previously. It's like that scene in Star Trek IV where they find out the aliens were trying to communicate with whales and not the humans--the firing could be a complete misread and wishful thinking. Continue to hope for the best though.

#4671 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

ARA's main guy that was handling this was fired by the company

And who here really knows the reason why the guy was fired? All I've read is speculation/assumption that he was fired for a reason connected to the DP/Big Lebowski deal.

There may be something to this idea, as it appears ARA/DP are talking now... but that's just it. We're going 100% off what "appears to be happening."

#4734 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Everyone makes a big deal out of programming. It's really just taking a little input, manipulating it a little and giving a little output. NBD. It's just that programmers want to look like they are important and doing something hard.

Well, thanks for the winky smiley--otherwise I'd demand to know your experience with programming

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 3.70
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside