(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,280 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Cojua88
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3409 7 years ago

Hey guys, let's stop the personal attacks. I'm on my way to work and won't be able to wade through the last few pages of this thread right now but just in passing I see a lot of mean spirited posting that should not be happening.

I or another mod will look at these posts today but in the mean time can we stop attacking each other? Thanks.

2 months later
#4716 6 years ago

Hey gang, please refer to rubberducks as rubberducks and not any intentional/vulgar modification of his name. Thank you and have a good evening.

2 weeks later
#4953 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

There are 2 options on the TBL, right? Taken the deal or sink. Why would this take more than 10 minutes to decide?
I'm thinking they choose the latter, they just don't want to ruin their holiday by announcing it.

I'm sure they want to negotiate the best terms for themselves as possible. No change of ownership with retained employees/management is ever easy or fast. There will be a lot of reps and warranties on the transfer and new employment agreement that will need to be entered into.

I'm sure they don't want to publicly announce they are leaping at the first set of documents generated because they are so desperate. No upside for them personally in doing that. It's a process, who knows where or when the process will end.

1 week later
#5112 6 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

per ARA there is nowhere close to 50 games being held - more like 10.

Wow! That's basically the end of the line for many if ARA is telling the truth.

I envision ARA eventually auctioning off their hostage games, just my personal prediction, but I don't see them shipping them out to the next ten on the list. Not sure what the law in that country is or how that would work from a liability standpoint. I'm so sorry for those caught in this.

#5126 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh gaddammit, you're right - it instantly closed all of them. Glargh! I wonder if I can get someone from Paypal on the phone...

Try with your credit card company if you run your pay pal payments through a credit card. They usually have a longer window for disputes (a year in the US, some can be up to two years like Amex in some cases...Canadians usually only have six months even with their credit card company...even for same card).

#5131 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still have one card to play - getting back in touch with Universal again

How long does the license allow them to manufacture games? If you or anyone know...of course. Seems like at some point the license must expire and then it doesn't matter what deal is cut with ARA (absent a costly renewal and more legal fees)...

#5139 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

??
Are you stating here a hostage pin was released by ARA to somebody? I have read somebody tried it but was not successful. If yes, curious to learnt he serialno.
Only DP has the license and the right to sell TBL. If Ara doesn't come to an agreement with DP it's paperweight to them. On top of that they spent a fortune on TBL specific parts which were paid by them to. This attitude from Ara just doesn't make business sense

As I read his post he says someone bought a spot (so if the hostages are released this guy would get one if there are enough hostages for his number), not ARA sold a hostage game to a new buyer and delivered it.

My interpretation anyway.

#5219 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Well, I'm not looking to risk that. I'm just trying to look at the situation with some common sense, although it appears this may be the wrong place for that There's no point in assuming and speculating as it literaly won't do anything for you, except maybe raise your bloodpressure. Seriously, can anyone name a good example of a situation where they didn't have any control over, yet stirring up a pot on a public forum (that the people in charge of the situation aren't even looking at) solved everything?
Assuming and speculating will not get games made any sooner. So why bother? The only people who can work on a solution are Barry and Jaap. As far as I can tell they are trying to the best of their capabilities to find a solution to get games build, as they have mentioned before. It may not go as fast as you like, but it won't go any faster by speculating, or getting upset about not getting a refund. So what's the point? It's like being stuck in traffic. You can go crazy all you want in your car, but does that help moving the traffic any faster? Or do you just go along with the flow? I prefer to go with the flow.
I get that some people are dissapointed. I've been supporting DP since day 1. They were a fresh breeze in the industry. The game they designed kicks ass. Guess what: I have a game on order that hasn't even been build, so I'm in the same boat as the other Achievers. Sure I wonder whether things will work out, and I certainly hope they do, but whether they do or don't is not in my hands.
Have to agree with EternalLife. Based on what I know I still find it odd all the anger seems to be pointed at DP, who are trying to find a solution, while ARA are the ones to blame for the current mess. It's like hitting the mechanic working on your car with a bat to get him to hurry up. Obviously that's not helping. Sure I understand the reasoning that we bought a product from DP, not ARA, but if you know DP is trying their best and ARA hasn't been very cooperative, does it make sense to bash DP while they are trying to find a solution?
Let's just see if this week's newsletter will bring some news.

I get what your saying and you are not being illogical certainly.

I think what the paid in full achievers would like is some sort of accounting. The feel I'm getting is there is an undertone that DP is simply out of money...like totally out of money. If so, it doesn't matter what deal is cut, DP won't be able to build any more games as it won't have money for parts.

Many seem to feel that DP is using ARA as a smoke screen. Sure, ARA has some hostage games (in an unknown number) but even if those games get released is there money left for more parts and assembly? If the answer to that question from DP is simply "nope, we already know we do not have the cash on hand to manufacture the balance of the ordered games under the old contract" then people want to move on to being paid back whatever they can.

If it is a payback but less than all of what was paid (which it would have to be if they can't pay to build the games) then people have to make their own decisions on how to go about collecting what they can however they can.

Are the DP guys drawing a salary out of the pre-owners money still? Paying for business expenses out of the pre-owners money? Paying for personal expenses? How much is left and what is the monthly cash burn and what is the projected cash burn in the future if DP is going to "lawyer up"? Why are the achievers paying for DP to "lawyer up" out of their preorder money (if that is the case) instead of being repaid whatever is left right now (even if substantially less than what was paid initially)?

#5316 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Some of you are saying DP is broke. OK, let's assume they are broke. But you want to sue them? What exactly will this gain you? Let's take it a step further and assume that by some miracle US law made a shit difference to the Netherlands.
Based on the "they are broke logic" DP will be forced to liquidate any assets that they have in order to pay those on the civil action. OK you say, so they will counter sue ARA. Many of you have also said that their contract with ARA must not have been "iron clad" enough. But do you also think that it is irrefutable enough to hold up to some international civil lawsuit?
OK, let's hypothesize even further. ARA is forced to return the 10 or whatever the hell it actually is games to those listed in the civil action. Cool, all of you can get 1/10th (or worse) of a big lebowski pinball machine. And maybe, if you're lucky we will also get 1/10th (or worse) of that really cool automated robot that was bought to make the playfields. Now what? Either way, it will never end up in you getting a refund, and it will never end up in you getting a lebowski.

I don't think all the customers are necessarily in the same boat as one another, even among the ones paid in full. If I was a fully paid in customer AND thought one of the hostage games was my game, I'd certainly evaluate filing a derivative or agency theory based suit of some sort (against ARA) in my home state to force shipment of my game.

They could try and fight venue and pay an attorney to show up for them and contest it. It isn't loser pays on a venue issue (at least not in my state) so if I lost on venue I'd only be out my time and filing fees.

No European company wants to have default legal judgements against them...so ARA wouldn't likely "do nothing" if service was made on them...they would either fight it or resolve it.

Anyway, im not giving anyone legal advice, just noting there is a second party (ARA) that some could potentially make a run at to get their hostage released. ARA looks like a decent sized company; they are not bankrupting over this matter so going after them to get your game (if you're one of the hostage game prospective owners) might be a possible consideration...if so, a single person (or maybe two) would likely have more success than a large group.

#5327 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Cointaker and others are sitting on deposits for approximately 150 games that only have deposits and were sold for $9500 USD. Upon completion, ARA and DP would receive $1,425,000. And that is for games for which many of the parts have been paid for already.
Thank goodness these were not pre-pays, it is the unbuilt 150+ games that could save this deal.

That's huge and good news. I had no idea.

#5340 6 years ago
Quoted from Foxis:

Some may think I'm trolling, but I am actually half serious. This would restore some faith in both parties, guarantee transparency, and likely have the best chance of seeing machines actually produced.

I love the idea. Have a voting trust control the 2% and have the Coin Taker guy speak on behalf of the 2%, everyone would trust him to represent the desires for the games to be made.

#5348 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Tigerlaw - would like to hear your take on the prospect of DP working with a new CM with an unresolved conflict with ARA in the background. Keeping in mind that the past CM model with ARA involved the fronting of money by ARA for parts.

I wish I could answer that for you, but there are too many unknowns for me to make an educated guess. The concern a new CM would have (if ARA had an exclusive agreement) if we were talking about a company here in the States is whether they would get an intentional interference with a contract claim and C&D from ARA.

Some companies bring an intentional interference with a contract claim to intimidate a competitor to leaving a negotiation - I've seen that frequently with supplier type deals. I'm not sure what the law is over the pond, so this may not be a concern for them at all.

1 week later
#5557 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Not speculation. Rarehero never had for sale wanted refund like everyone else that's asked threatened to phone licensee again. Barry sent Wire for full refund. Again let me guess someone bought his particular spot without contacting Rarehero. When are you people gonna learn. You think these guys don't lie?

Have they said Rarehero's spot was sold to someone else and that's why he alone got the refund? That seems like it would be a pretty large coincidence...to say the least...

Are Barry and Jaap still drawing a salary? Is it true that Cointaker has deposit money not remitted to DP held in a type of escrow or something? Sorry to be behind on the status of things...fast moving thread.

#5563 6 years ago
Quoted from cudabee:

They are forced by dutch law to take a salary with ,if i remember correct, a minimum of 40000 a year and pay income taxes over that amount.

40,000 Euros a year...each?

Quoted from wcbrandes:

If this is true no wonder they are talking like they still have money to continue on with a new manufacturer. No wonder this is just being stretched out. Oh look we are finally out of money! Wake up people

Yep, talk about not having interests aligned (at all, under that rule) with the pre-owners. Have they disclosed that to anyone?

Well, ARA and DP are going to of course just keep pointing the finger at each other...

#5584 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That stuff starts happening and you (as the buyer) need to take steps to take care of yourself.

No doubt. And they are not all similarly situated. The ones "next in line" with games actually made but held hostage by ARA are in a totally different situation than those "last in line" with different possible remedies and even possibly different liable parties.

I'm glad RH found a way to get his hard earned money returned to him. Good for him. I hope the others find their own path to a result that is satisfactory to them (be that their money being returned or their game being delivered/made).

#5605 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

One other thing. I am absolutely amazed at Jaap's poise during the entire WebEx. Guys that are ripping people off for thousands of dollars or who are in trouble financially simply don't act that way.

Not correct. The guys that succeed in ripping people off for thousands (or millions) exude confidence and poise in the face of (literally) impossible odds...it's part of their base line skill set. The con in con stands for confidence...it's how the con works.

I'm not saying DP is a con necessarily, but just because they are acting poised and confident has zero relevance in reading their true intentions or deciphering their plan (if they have one).

#5655 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think he did mention something about the possibility of angel investors on the video.

Angel investors want to see a return on investment (they are really no different from other types of private equity). What chance of return on investment would an angel see in this environment?

Andrew got a bailout from investors who were already invested and he had a factory (vs contract manufacturing). JPop did something to get AP to pay for and assemble the 22 MGs...but details are unknown and AP doesn't seem to want to be associated with JPop anymore (so they at least apparently weren't happy with the bail out they did for whatever reason). JJP got a cash infusion because they had built over 2,500 games and had a great platform and large staff and factory.

I personally don't see how DP is going to attract sophisticated angels or private equity with the legal issues and needing to find a new CM.

#5740 6 years ago
Quoted from Foxis:

You *should* be caring about where the money went and why, especially since there appears to be too little left to build the machines you already paid for. The balance sheet is earlier in the thread, and you can order the rest of the financial info.

This is 100% correct. While I don't disagree that people who are working hard deserve to be paid, there is also a threshold where DP may know they lack the funds to build all the remaining games. Once that threshold is realized they need to either consider other viable funding sources (if any) or fold the tent and refund what they can in some fair manner rather than keep paying themselves till the money runs out ala JPop.

Customers are entirely right to question how much money is left and what the monthly cash burn for DP may be...both are reasonable questions in a crowd funded situation like this.

#5763 6 years ago

That is really really wonderful news. Good luck everyone, I hope this works out on the financing side and you all get what you paid for.

2 years later
#9188 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

These games apparently sold very quickly!

I have not kept up with this thread. The 40 games sold out instantly?

#9260 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

All games sold out pretty much instantly. I tried immediately and the 35 in the US were gone

What was the asking price for them from the distributors? If they sold out that fast they were under priced...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 210.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.