(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,280 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by Cojua88
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#650 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

No, the last update explicitly said Goodman callouts were IN.
But.. They also said licensed songs, unfortunately I've lost some confidence today.

Jaap emphatically stated Goodman is in; always has been.

10 months later
#2206 7 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

" I hate the fuckin' eagles" mode where certain shots have to be made or the eagles songs play non-stop.

That's hilarious and a fantastic idea for a short and sweet mode.

Quoted from jazzmaster:

The have the licensing for most of it, why not use it?

I thought the issue was they didn't have the rights to the music unless they played the accompanying video clip it is in, in its entirety. That's why they reimagined the songs that are in there to get around the license snafu. I may be remembering wrong though.

1 month later
#2458 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Hey guys - I kind of hate to do this, but I just moved into a new house with an unfinished basement and my basement won't be refinished for probably another 3-4 months. In fact, I will probably have to move my games into storage to get this project done. Cointaker is sitting on my game right now until I can take delivery. And this thread is killing me!!!
I would consider trading with another achiever that doesn't have their game yet. Any takers?

I was just about ready to pm you thinking you were selling it.

#2461 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Oh no, not selling!!! For goodness sakes after everything I did to track and promote this when it was a fake project?
Just thought there might be a dude (has to be an achiever/pre order) out there that wants theirs earlier and I can't have mine for 3 or 4 more months anyway.

I know, I was reading thinking, maybe. Then got to the end and was like, Damn!

3 months later
#2928 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This seems extremely problematic. This isn't "there's board issues that ARA is trying to resolve", this could be interpreted so many ways including

Agreed. They made a concerted effort to avoid using the boards as the reasoning for the delay. It may be the language barrier but an email that should have helped clarify things only resulted in clouding it further. It is a head scratcher for sure.

#2936 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

See JimB's post two up.. that has a lot more info than the other one.

Thanks. There was an overlap when I posted and he did.

Well I applaud their candor. It does validate that the few who voiced doubt that the board was the issue for things screeching to a halt were right. Again I appreciate their candor but I have a feeling there is still more to the story. Surely ARA wouldn't feel validated for a cost increase without enumerating to Dutch how their actions (revisions, inefficiencies, bad design) cost them time and money justifying the increase. There goes that mantra of running lean, I guess.

#2963 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got an Email from ARA this morning...followed by Dutch's. Either ARA is lying or Dutch is. Either way, it doesn't matter, because FACT: Dutch lied about the PCB's. So, first thinks first:
FUCK YOU, DUTCH PINBALL!!!!!!!
Second...lets sort out the facts.
1. We know ARA has a ton of games sitting there, complete.
2. Dutch says ARA wants more money, won't pay it, threatening legal action.
3. Dutch says they're looking for a new manufacturer.
4. Would they get the finished games back from ARA, or will those be scrapped? Wouldn't it cost MORE to BUILD FROM SCRATCH vs. just fucking PAYING ARA to get this over with? They won't pay ARA 1000 more euros per game...but they'll pay someone else, probably more, to start over?
Point 4 is why this explanation seems fishy as fuck.

So Dutch didn't come clean until ara outed them. WOW. What a crock. I'm quite sure ARA didn't come to the decision to withhold games easily. I can't imagine they did so without getting legal counsel. There is more underlying issues yet to come to light.

It seems fishy because it is fishy. If it walks like a duck...

#2968 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I told Jaap that I would not post the email on forums or social media as long as he gives me straight information by the end of the day today. No more bull shit. I will stay true to my word. However, I know others that got the same email I did.

You know the relationship between ARA and Dutch is gone when ARA was willing to go behind dutch's back and contact dutch's customers directly. Don't forget Dutch is ara's customer; not the lembowski owners. That is a serious breach of business protocol and not one many business engage in unless they feel they have no other means of recourse. I would say there is next to no chance of salvaging the Dutch/ARA relationship. While it's shitty what ARA did, how long would have Dutch continued the bad board ruse.

#2972 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

ARA did not reach out to me. I reached out to them. I was not satisfied with DP's "board problem" excuses. It took some leg work to find contacts at ARA.

Oh wow. Sorry I missed that. My apologies. That paints Dutch in ever a worse light.

#3028 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

But...you are speaking to a Canadian.

Don't let facts get in the way of it.

Quoted from steigerpijp:

Calm down Rens, it wasnt in jest by Bill. Bad business is bad business, whichever country you're from.

Because. You know. Bill is Canadian.

#3065 7 years ago

not good at all. Who knows what the contract is. There very well could be escalators in the contract and that's what ARA is trying to recoup. Without the contract it's, he said she said. What we do know is someone is lying about the boards being the cause of the stoppage. As I said, not good at all.

#3069 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

DP has admitted to me that board issue was to "buy time" which is not good.

So they lied about that but now we're supposed to believe that ARA is extorting them for a grand more per machine? Bullshit. For all we know, this $1,000 more is to "buy more time" to try and secure additional capital.

#3132 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When has capital been an issue for DP in the past?
In fact, it's one of the more interesting angles of DP to me compared to other companies. They've spared no expense in promotion and full sourcing of gear LONG before taking any money. I've always wondered "Who is their daddy warbucks?" - because they didn't take pre-orders to fund the business... they were sourcing custom parts, playfields, licensing, and more all way beyond any pre-order money would have funded.
All the immediate flocking to claims of being UNABLE to pay seem way premature.

My post clearly said "for all we know."

See, that's what happens when companies get caught lying. People start assuming the worst. It's funny. A few weeks ago appologists were shouting people down stating it was a board issue not a money issue and well, now we know that's not true.

#3193 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

4. There is no possibility of paying ARA extra for the completed games. They feel that will "weaken (their) position" against ARA.

That doesn't make sense to me. If that's the case, they should be in front of a judge ( I have zero clue how their court system works) asking to have the games released and then fight out the details of who owes what in court. I just can't wrap my head around the fact they're willing to walk away and start over. That makes ZERO business sense. I have learned in business being right doesn't always mean being right. This does not pass the sniff test at all.

Has anyone contacted ARA and asked them to clarify their stance on the money they're owed? Has anyone asked them if this $1,000 is above and beyond the negotiated amount and if so why they feel it is owed? I would be interested to see how it jives against what Dutch is saying.

#3197 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I would much rather they get their paid in full customers (that can't get refunds) a game as their first priority. Rather protecting their good name. Deal with that after some of these folks are made whole.
But, I do not know all of the details and I am sure there is way more to the story than is just written in some emails back and fourth.

I agree. That's what's so confounding about the whole sorted mess. Dutch is willing to throw the baby out with the bath water and start over. If they (Dutch) truely feel they are at an impasse why aren't they telling their customers, "hang tight. We're a 100% in the right and we are heading to court straight away to get this moving." Instead they're looking for a new manufacturer and leaving everything worked on behind. Who does that?

#3199 7 years ago

I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean but I am familiar with contract law (US that is) and there are most certainly remedies that can be applied by the court (whether enumerated in the contract by the two contracting parties or not) to get the project off of center and back on track. Most often with the threat of damages payable to the aggrieved party.
How many companies with a contract and believe they are in the right opt to incur the cost to go elsewhere rather than enforce the contract they already have. I mean this is really simple shit we're talking about here.

#3204 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I put this to Jaap
There are apparently 40 games packed ready that are by all accounts being "held ransom".
DP are refusing to pay ARA and have stopped paying them to have money ready for legal actions.
I'm sorry, but I did not intend for my money to pay for legal action.
I have asked why not: settle the account for the assembled games, or the 300 and then take this to court as what appears to be blackmail. They have the contract that should hopefully win in court. Then move to a different manufacturer for game 2! Makes FAR more financial sense.
I would rather pay the extra, get my game and then get reimbursed when/if DP win court case.. at least I will have a game rather than nothing at all!!

This is exactly the correct course and the logical one. Why Dutch just flat out refuses this option is what makes me question how truthfull Dutch is being about this extra $1,000. One email to ARA asking if they are seeking additional money or the original money owed from the original contract would clear everything up very quickly.

#3208 7 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I sent another email to my contact at ARA yesterday asking for some clarification. I will update if I hear anything back. It did take a little over a week to hear back last time I emailed.
I really hope DP can just settle things with ARA for the completed games and find a new manufacturer after. It's the right thing to do.
Brian

Spot on!

#3212 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've seen a lot of contracts before that specify time periods for staffing. So it's very plausible that DP agreed to have X many machines made in 2015-2016, so ARA reserved floor space and workers. The contract would usually stipulate that if they went outside that time period, it would cost more because they would have to fit the work in along side of other scheduled work.

Of course. Contracts are loaded with gotcha clauses.

#3233 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'll reiterate again, ARA are definitely being economical with the truth (as DP may be).
ARA claim they halted production in October but it was still ongoing on November the 3rd. Also, there were 20 games packed up as of that date ... if there are 40 now, they didn't appear from thin air and production must have continued for several weeks more.

The flip side to that. One could argue that ARA put Dutch on notice in October but continued into November on good faith hoping for resolution while amassing 20 more completed games for a total of 40. I'm not entirely sold that ARA continuing production past the October stop date is somehow indicative of them not being forthcoming. As I have stated before, it's all conjecture on my part. The one concrete piece of evidence we do have is Dutch willfully and deliberately deceived their customers with the lie about the boards.

#3237 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That would be unusual - and highly stupid by DP. Remember, ARA was working FOR DP for engineering and manufacturing. They were contracted for the work - not making their own boardset and then selling to DP (I doubt ARA was looking to get into the PROC space )
ARA would have been selling their services to DP.. just like you'd hire a contractor to draw a logo for you. The terms of the contract would dictate that DP owns the output, the designs, etc as the work is being done to their spec and acceptance. It would not be unusual to negotiate some licensing arrangement or timed exclusivity terms if trading some liability for guaranteed business.
The standard is the buyer owns the design, but the contractor is usually going to work to ensure they don't do all the work then just get abandoned. Remember, the money paid (and margin) on assembly is not that much... the money is in the services.
Its entirely possible ARA bent DP over here and technically owns everything... but it would be the extreme 'DP was stupid' case.. and that's not been their M.O. Too bold.. Too optimistic... too quiet? Sure.. blatantly stupid? Nah..
Where it can get even more messy is even if DP has the rights to it, if they aren't in physical possession of everything, ARA could withhold it arguing non-payment or other stall tactics.

There isn't a board issue. ARA stated there wasn't and Dutch confirmed they made up and used the board issue as an excuse to buy time. Again, no board issue, Dutch lied that there was a board issue.

This is a question of who do you believe. Dutch says that ARA is holding the games hostage for and additional, above and beyond negotiated cost of $1000.00 ARA states Dutch isn't paying them. The devil is in that detail. Is ARA saying dutch isn't paying the contracted amount or not paying the $1000 vig. A pinsider has sent an email to ARA asking for clarification of what they feel is owed by Dutch.

#3241 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There is no indication of that.

Quoted from Skins:

As I have stated before, it's all conjecture on my part.

#3267 7 years ago

Well I had a response that disappeared. Not worth cutting, pasting and quoting again.

Synopsis: Flynn, suffice to say you're suddenly wacko in this thread

#3288 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? Because I differentiate between what is KNOWN vs what is extrapolated or speculated on?
Because I work with the dutch and northern europeans.. and have for nearly 20 years and I know to be careful about language differences?
Because I've actually worked at, with, and know management in Contract Manufacturers so I am familiar with how things actually function in that industry?
Or is because I just won't see a crack and make the biggest leap I can like much of pinside?
There is a difference between being right because it can be substantiated.. and being right because your guess/extrapolation eventually overlaps with the outcome.
Given the past few years... DP seems to have money growing on trees... so without actual signs of strain.. I find it difficult to believe they are 'tits up' as some have claimed. Not agreeing to pay a vendor's bill does not mean the only possible truth is you are broke. It is one of multiple possibilities..

Holy shit man. Condense your thoughts. Blah blah blah. My post that got deleted was the fact you tell me you weren't talking about boards but you quoted someone's statement about boards. It's funny you mention money. Apologist were screaming it wasn't about money; that it was bad boards yet here we are and yep, you guessed it. It is about money. Dutch fucked up. Period. They lied. Period. Everything else is semantics. The fact that this has festered for months while deceiving people is bad.

#3301 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, the post I replied to was about board DESIGNS and ability to take those to another contractor not - not the 'board issues' lies from DP... hence my post about ownership/contracting/IP. The statement quoted was:
"ARA owns the rights to the circuit boards used in TBL, so the new manufacturer will have to redesign the boards as well"

I don't think anyone disagrees that the 'cover story' was a bad idea and from what we can tell just a lie. But what people take from that is where things go all kinds of directions..

So it was a continuation or riff on the narrative that the boards are the hang up, gotcha. Like I said...

As for people filling in the blanks, bully on Dutch. They can rectify that but yet more silence. The last I checked, this is a message board that is filled with literally 50% speculation. Speculation on prices, game releases and you guessed it, the health and viability of the industry in a broad sense and a manufacturer in the narrow sense. If Dutch doesn't like people speculating, they can resolve it.

#3306 7 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Just because ARA says they are "owed" money, doesn't mean this is about money or DP not having money. It could simply mean that ARA is greedy. Or it could mean that the contract isn't written explicitly enough, or that both sides have a different interpretation of the contract, which is EXTREMELY common. There are literally infinite possibilities about what "could" be, there is no way of knowing if dutch closing it's doors or not. The facts are, many people pre-ordered a game. Some people got their games. Many people didn't (yet). Dutch didn't want to cause a mass panic (just like this) about an issue they probably can resolve. Everything else is literally just noise and drama including the letter from ARA. If you want to get out, cool, that's your prerogative. But I guarantee you that lots of delays, etc. from many products you buy including pinball machines are from similar situations that are adequately covered up or glossed over.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. It is about money. End of story. You will not find anywhere where I said that it was a valid claim or not a valid claim. In fact, I said everything is speculation. Don't get it twisted though. It is about money, valid claim or not. Dutch's email specifically stated the production stopped over a dispute about, you guessed it, money. The relationship is in such disrepair, over disputed money, they are seeking out another vendor to build the games. People can continue to conflate the issue and try to absolve Dutch but in the end, they are the stewards of the money collected and they alone allowed the situation to degrade to this point. Dutch sourced ARA, Dutch, I would hope, vetted ARA. Dutch, I would hope, entered into a solid contract. Dutch, I would hope, had a lawyer review and revise said contract.

I sign many many contracts every year and without exception, there is literally zero gray area in the contracts I sign. Claims of additional costs are addressed and remedies are enumerated. Default of contracts are addressed and remedies enumerated. Scopes of work and responsibilities are detailed, addressed and remedies enumerated. The fact Dutch seems to be willing to walk suggests the contract on this issue isn't in their favor. When I have a dispute, the first place I consult is the contract. If I'm in the right I press, if I'm in the wrong I shut up and take my lumps.

Wow, sorry. I just busted Flynn' balls about condensing thought and then I ramble on.

#3309 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No
It was a discussion about the viability moving the entire game production to another contractor. The 'board issue' as stated by DP and slang in this thread was a claim of faulty boards... not an issue over not owning everything needed to migrate to another vendor. Which is why none of it is dependent on DP's lies around faulty boards.
Since then someone has added that Jaap says ARA 'owns the design' - which is.. mindboggling.

Ok, so semantics it is. You win. Add me to the list of people not willing to engage you in the future. I figure I should throw in some head banging emoticons to show how frustrated I am too.

#3329 7 years ago

If you think there is zero gray area in the contracts that you sign, but yet you live in VA like me.. which is a caselaw state. Which means that regardless of what the contract says, there may be caselaw buried deep in the books that makes your contract irrelevant. The fact that you think it is rock solid, is irrelevant. And that's my point.

Of course you can try to twist contracts to reflect however you want to inturpret them. If not there wouldn't be a need for contract law. The fact you reference case law is precisely my point. Contracts are built on 100's of years of case law president. Like is said, the language is black and white. Period. That is why I very clearly stated (no less than 3 times) contracts have remedies for disputes and misunderstanding written into them such as binding mediation. I was never suggesting black and white contract language means two parties can't and won't interpret the same contract differently. If Dutch signed a poorly worded contract or didn't have a lawyer review it, that's on them. And yes, I sign $4-7 million dollars of contracts yearly for the last 25 years. In fact, I just signed one for $429,000 the other day. You know damn well what I meant and want to argue minutia like Flynn, gotcha. Add another one to the non-engagement group.

#3350 7 years ago

It's always the most intelligent ones who feel as though they need to interject name calling into an argument. Right skins?
Yep I melted the main harness of my monster bash, but I also did a complete restoration, and documented my mistakes for the community to see. What good have you brought us?
I also have sold startups and manage a 300 million contract right now. After my own 25 years regardless of what a contract says business is about the relationship between two people. The contract can be bare bones with a tight relationship or iron clad with poor ones, either way the contract means nothing.
Good business is about good relationships not iron clad contracts. And still we know nothing of the situation, and nobody can say what it's about... even money.
Show me evidence.. until then..

I said I wasn't going to engage you any longer, however, I will admit I took a potshot at you about the dbag thing. In my defense, that was only after you diminished my experience handling contracts; several times. If you want to play the victim, so be it. I am man enough to admit it was a potshot and I didn't need to add it to make my point so for that, I apologize.

1 week later
#3543 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That robot was at Mirco not ARA or DP facility

They did show off the wire form making robot.

2 weeks later
#3799 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He's a producer for the TV show Family Guy and other work in Hollywood. He's also very passionate about pinball.
Thumbs down for you snotty comment.

I believe he was being facetious.

#3958 7 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

That’s why we won’t be sitting on our hands, waiting for the attorney to do his job. We want to move on and live our dream: bring fun to the (pinball)world. That’s why we talked to several potential Contract Manufacturers and it looks like we will do business with the VDL Group. A very big Dutch company that produces a.o. BMW cars in The Netherlands. They are very interested in starting the project but they suggest to start on a smaller scale. We have planned to build a series of max.150 units of The Bride of Pinbot 25th Anniversary Super Limited Edition, 100 for the USA and 50 for the rest of the World. If all goes well, we will start building a regular version of BoP25, to be build by VDL. If in the meantime, we come to an agreement with ARA, we can start building TBL as soon as possible, time will tell.

Quoted from Hjbondar:

We now are in the situation that our attorney talks to their attorney and this will probably take months/years.

Wow. Unbelievable. I truly feel for tbl buyers.

#4163 7 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

The impression I got from the talk is not that they are not going to purse legal options, but that they were advised to wait before rushing into it. Right now what we have is a standoff. Plain and simple. It's down to which party (ARA or DP) can hold out the longest. Makes sense given the push to move forward with BOP 25th.

So they're going to play chicken with ara? Yeah, that will work out well. This has all the markings of exactly how they handled Phil. They thought they were going to ignore him until they got it completed. It was only after Phil blew it up and forced their hand that he got resolution. Unbelievable.

#4310 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

grossly naive in imagining that a one way street is the only explanation.

No, you are so bent over carrying DP's water you can't see the one and only fact. It doesn't matter one damn bit if ARA screwed DP. They chose to partner with ara. They reviewed and signed the contract with ara. They touted ara as a reason people could trust them. Their responsibility it to the purchasers of tbl. All the other stuff is happy horseshit. ARA is DP's problem to figure out and news flash, waiting it out months or years as Jaap said is malfeasance of the highest order. What's naive is to continue to beat DP's drum even after they have faltered time and time again. I struggle to see how someone could be at diametric ends of the reality spectrum as you are to myself. It is then that I come to the conclusion that you will quite literally say anything needed to maintain your narrative no matter the facts to the contrary. I'm sure you're a good guy but on this matter you are simply unhinged.

#4312 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

More wild speculation: Just to add as far as critically looking at ARA.. if ARA was that successful of a CM, they would be wanting to free up the space in their facility for their next client. These kinds of things get scheduled out well in advance.
If It was 100% DP fault things are where they are, feels like they could of kicked DP out, siteing lack of payment as breach of contract, and moved on to next client.
Instead they have an entire building idle with TBLs, and parts, sitting there hostage and a stalemate.. which to me anyway, feel like ARA could have no more work coming in anyway so they can afford to screw around and have their own financial issue they are trying to squeeze DP for (which, is exactly what DP side of story supports)
So, can speculate either way.. it def was unprofessional for ARA to email DPs customers anyway.. can't imagine that was run by ARA lawyers.

You're 100% correct. Thank god Jaap's attorney advised him, in spite of all the evidence you proffered, to just wait it out. Who needs, nay who wants, resolution this year. I think 2018 is a better year for tbl. Even numbered year and all, you know.

#4342 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're a real piece of work. And by work, I mean something else.

LOL.

I see a commonality of some of the ardent DP supporters. I'll leave it to pinside to draw their own conclusion as to what I think it is...

#4369 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

People, including you, are constantly claiming completely made up or inferred narrative as fact.

While I generally don't engage people that resort to the "I know you are but what am I" retort, I'll humor you for one more post. Please direct me to one item in my post you quoted where I, in your words, "completely made up or inferred narrative as fact".

I'm waiting...

#4380 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You even claim in your prior posts that all contracts (you deal with - and imply others by extension) are black and white with no grey area.
Seriously? I guess that's why so many disputes take so long to go through the courts, and cost so much money, pinging back and forth to courts of appeal, judgement going in one party's favour, then the other. Many of those clients were no doubt assured by their lawyers that their contracts were ironclad, and sure of it.
In the event of disputes there's no such thing as black and white until courts have delivered their verdicts and the appeals process has been exhausted, or they are resolved or withdrawn. You may try to make things as explicit as possible, as much as anything to deter other parties from acting in poor faith or taking legal action, but there's no such thing as a surety.
I wasn't beating DP's drum in the post that got you so riled up. Merely pointing out that if ARA either organisationally or on the part of individual staff had made significant mistakes, there could be every reason why they'd dig their heels in, whilst others were claiming there was no conceivable reason why they would.

So I asked you to point out one thing in my post you quoted where I, "completely made up or inferred as fact" something and you didn't/couldn't do it. Just as I suspected. Instead you speak in hyperbole and change the argument. Riled up? Hardly. People who make poorly framed straw man arguments aren't worthy of eliciting such a response. You pointed to a post where I said contracts are black and white. I stand by that statement. How a contract is interpreted can be misconstrued and thus gray area. That is the failings of the parties involved but the framework of the contract is what it is.

#4433 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Wow. A little good news and all of the opinion experts with no skin in the game suddenly go quiet. Go figure.

As opposed to what? Cheering against good news? I find myself agreeing with a lot your posts but on matters you are emotionally intimate with, not so much. I would guess those who have been vocal and skeptical are quiet because this could be (hopefully) a positive development and until it plays out further are taking a wait and see approach. I for one hope it is what it is being billed as. Anyone rooting for failure and by extension pinsiders getting screwed deserve a hard swift kick to the nuts. Repeatedly.

#4484 7 years ago

I had a pithy response. Decided it wasn't worth it.

1 month later
2 weeks later
#5013 6 years ago

What a crock of shit. To think people thought that the firing of that dude signaled DP was being mistreated. These new guys seem worse. Only a couple guys want their game at all costs? I find that hard to believe. Then again, the truth never seemed to be DP's friend.

#5095 6 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

I don't believe anything from the DP camp at this point.
I finally did some homework and spoke with ARA this week.
DP is broke. They want us to believe this is a sinister plan conspired by ARA but after speaking with them I simply don't believe it.
I was dumb and purchased a "hostage game" - per ARA there is nowhere close to 50 games being held - more like 10. I offered to pay a significant premium to get my game shipped (its in the 70's) and I was told that my game HAS NOT BEEN BUILT.
Take it for whatever its worth - if someone starts a lawsuit against DP I will be glad to join, otherwise I'm done worrying about this.
Best of luck to all - another lesson learned.

Shocker, DP might not be telling the truth...again.

#5144 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

??
This attitude from Ara just doesn't make business sense

That is a peculiar thing isn't it. Why would a company and now we're being told the parent company be willing to to forgo resolution and instead play hardball. As Spock would say, there is only one logical conclusion. Ara believes they have the law/contract on their side.
We had apologist on here saying "Rene was a rogue employee out to hurt DP." In the end, that was wrong. It appears across two entities, ARA and now their parent company, they both see it the same way, there is no path forward with the current DP arraignement. That speaks volumes. They would rather risk loosing all money tied to their partnership with DP than acquiesce to completing the games as is.

Quoted from Rensh:

Here we go again.
If you truely think DP is lying on a Fiji island beach doing nothing besides enjoying the good life and needs pressure to start working on TBL again, pls fee free to contact Universal. In all other cases I just don't see how this helps our case. Universal has no control over ARA, worse case they revoke the license from DP which leaves us with ??
I understand you are angry and need to blow off steam but this is just not helping.
But hey, this is just my opinion man.

What DP needs to do is come clean. Their laze-faire attitude towards the whole thing is bullshit. If they don't/can't lay out their position to their customers, then they need to lawyer up and tell everyone they believe they're right and feel the courts will see it their way. They are out of time and don't understand they are no longer in control of the ship. Someone is going to force their hand and they shouldn't be surprised when it happens. I'm curious, when is BOP 3.0 shipping?

#5232 6 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

Here is your weekly update from Dutch Pinball BV, regarding the production process of The Big Lebowski™ Pinball.
Last week we informed you that we thought there were 2 groups. We based this on the emails that we received and the reactions of the people that we talked to. Looking at the reactions not all of you were happy that we talked about only 2 groups and about the size of the groups. We are sorry if we offended you. We tried to reflect the reactions of the people we talked to.
We understand everyone wants their TBL and that you are tired of waiting. We are too!
And that’s where the good news comes in: one of our alternative contract manufacturers is very, very enthusiastic and informed us that they want to make a serious quotation. Please know, that making a quotation is very complicated since our game has about 600 unique parts that they have to quote. They expect that making this quote will take them about three/four weeks so we have to be patient, but the good news is that they are very interested and are willing to take step 2. By the way: we haven’t heard a word from ARA and we believe it is best to move on with a new, reliable partner.
We understand that a weekly update is not enough. We therefore have planned a webinar on Monday June 19th. We (Barry and Jaap) will give you an update about the production of TBL and also do a Q & A session. We probably will start at 6PM CET/Amsterdam time (this is 12AM EST and 9AM PDT). Next week you will receive more details about this webinar.
That’s all for now. Thank you for your great, continues support and till next time!
Kind regards,
Barry & Jaap

You just can't make this stuff up. It has got to keystone cops level, FFS.

Quoted from Nikonokin:

By the way: we haven’t heard a word from ARA and we believe it is best to move on with a new, reliable partner.

Why would you hear from them you simpletons. They have the high ground. They gave you a take it or leave it offer. DP can't be that niave or think we are.
Translation: after researching everything legally, we realize we have no leg to stand on and we refuse to accept their 51% terms so we are going to start all over and completely reinvent the wheel with a new guy. It will be different, we promise.

What happens with the supposed proprietary parts designed in house by ara. They will have to be made again somewhere differently? Is there intellectual property right on the ara parts? If so, then the new guy has to design similiar but different parts performing the same task. What about parts compatibility between the games shipped and the ones made by the new guy. What a cluster F!

Why bother with contracts or gasp, CONTRACT manufacturing. Let's just wing it. I mean, contracts are for when there is a minsundersranding, not when times are good.

1 week later
#5618 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

There is not enough money to built 150 TBLs but going to a bank for financing can only be done when costs are known. Their is however enough money to START UP a new CM with development and building prototype/preproduction.

So, to get this straight, the plan is: Take the finite remaining money and completely start over with a new CM. From that, the hope is a bank will lend them the money to build games that they have already been paid to build once before. Am I getting that right? To further clarify, they need to borrow (guessing a generous bom) $5000x150 units totaling $750,000.00. That is just to complete the already committed and spent money? So the bank is going to be thrilled to lend money on the hope of profit from the remaining 100 CT/Nitro games expanded sales beyond the 300. Without even factoring in interest on the loaned money, and giving a generous $4000 profit (not happening but for shits and giggles) give $4000x100 Ct/nitro games equals $400,000. That leaves a deficit of $350,000. So $350,000 / $4,000 per machine means they have to sell at least another 88 games. That is just to repay the bank note without interest and without accounting for any overruns in costs that would eat into the profit margin. I bet banks will be lining up in droves to take on that risk.

#5636 6 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

This is only true if they are flat broke now, which I don't think. They just don't have enough money to refund 150 EA's (probably because they advanced on the profit margins).

Quoted from Nikonokin:

They're not broke.

Your definition of broke my differ to mine but Rensh has pretty close ties to DP. I doubt he said this for no reason:

Quoted from Rensh:

There is not enough money to built 150 TBLs

Again, broke is relative but when you can't build nearly 2/3rds of paid for machines, you are imo, broke.

4 weeks later
#5906 6 years ago

It was good to put a human face to things. I question some historical accuracy (DP sold expo that the new designed main board was more elegant and didn't look like crap with all the wire) and doubt his interpretation of the ip "sharing" (I noticed an edit in the video too) but in the end, I believed his sincerity. Please tell me the Richard "I'm Not A Crook" Nixon picture was an attempt as self-deprecating humor.

#5908 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Obviously you're not a bowler.

I'm aware of the correlation. The irony of a "everything is fine video" with a picture of tricky Dick square in the frame remains.

Either way, as I said, a good video nonetheless.

2 months later
#6074 6 years ago

Jaap: New orders will have to be filled first to fund previous preorders build.

#6083 6 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I am reading it that new orders will go out before preorders....basically, if you're on the cointaker or nitro list, you get your game before the early achievers.
Hopefully skins can verify.

That’s how I took it as well. He didn’t specify all or blocks of say 10 new 10 old alternating though so there maybe a glimmer or hope for ea’s to not be dead last.

#6089 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Someone ask Jaap what the ratio of new:old machines will be. 1, 2, 3, etc. And exactly how many EAs they have to cover.

They stated the amount though the exact number escapes me. I want to say 130 remaining but I very well could be wrong. I do remember him stating 55 were delivered.

#6092 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow. There's the proof that they're out of cash.
What if there are not enough new buyers? Who would pre-order AGAIN!? This is basically a pre-order crowdfunding deal now...$10k for a Chinese game!?!?
I'm sorry guys. Oooph. What a slap to those who's games are still hostage at ARA. Speaking of ARA - they're not gonna just disappear. That's still a thing.

Someone asked what if there’s not enough new orders to cover the old orders. They said, “there is enough. Ask Nitro.” They said, “there are people that canceled that told Nitro once DP starts building again I want back in.” Jaaap said new orders wont be an issue, they will have more than enough.

#6109 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Ok I see where there is some ambiguity from Pinball News:
"Asked if they will pick up with delivery of machine number 56, Jaap said they don’t have the money to just build all the pre-orders with no income, so they will need to build some new-order machines which will help fund the production of the pre-orders."
No mention of shipping order here, right? Only problem is with traditional media training: "Answer the question you want to answer instead of the question they ask you."

I sat in the seminar about 6 rows back. I heard Jaap very clearly and directly say (before the quote you posted) that new orders will have to be built before old. What he didn’t say was how many new before old. He then went on to say he knows it is not the best solution but unless someone has a better idea, it’s their only solution.

#6114 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

From a business perspective, I understand taking orders to create some cash flow if you have a model that can take you to breakeven with a certain number of sales. However, the idea that it makes any difference to handle the queue out of order doesn't make any logical sense to me. So I understand the literal words "new orders will have to be built before old," but the logic escapes me.
That's why my read on it was that they felt bad about taking money now for additional machines, but they saw no choice, despite knowing it frustrates the pre-orders that the total number of machines built will increase. I may be wrong, but the numbers and logic part of my brain thinks that's what he meant.
Anyway, I'm in the "I am satisfied to eventually get my machine" camp, so I won't beat a dead horse.

That’s fair. I understand your point. I wasn’t making a judgement, I was simply reporting what was said for those who couldn’t be there. I wish I would have asked if they had a breaking point of how many new they had to run to cover old and what the staging of new versus old would estimated to be. Another question I thought of was what percentage of bom savings do they hope to realize by going to China and how many new games needed could be reduced by doing so.

#6117 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, is Bernie Madoff involved?

DP definitely handled a lot of things poorly but I don’t get any malicious intent from them in the seminar. I get that they are humbled and desperate for a solution. I still wonder if abandoning ara was the move but as the kids say now, it is what it is. They were frank with the state of affairs. In fact, the story of how the new contract manufactuer got involved was telling of how desperate and really at the end of the rope they were. This new cm was quite literally the only thing that saved this whole thing from going tits up imo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=Skins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.