(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,280 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by Cojua88
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2950 7 years ago

What is ARA for those that have not followed the whole thing in detail?

#2953 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The contract manufacturer and supplier of boards and I think some of the wiring amongst other things.
DP don't have a production facility.

If Dutch Pinball wanted to become a regular pinball company rather than just making one game, they really needed to set up their own factory. Maybe a factory in the JJP mold only smaller would have been a good option for them. Otherwise they are at the mercy of the contract manufacturers for everything. At least with a factory the pinball company can go to alternative manufacturers for parts when the main supplier fails to produce quality or quantity or goes into contract disputes.

Also, why is the software not super deep and amazing by now? The whole project smells of cashflow issues.

#2956 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got an Email from ARA this morning...followed by Dutch's. Either ARA is lyin or Dutch is. Either way, it doesn't matter, because FACT: Dutch lied about the PCB's. So, first thinks first:
FUCK YOU, DUTCH PINBALL!!!!!!!
Second...lets sort out the facts.
1. We know ARA has a ton of games sitting there, complete.
2. Dutch says ARA wants more money, won't pay it, threatening legal action.
3. Dutch says they're looking for a new manufacturer.
4. Would they get the finished games back from ARA, or will those be scrapped? Wouldn't it cost MORE to BUILD FROM SCRATCH vs. just fucking PAYING ARA to get this over with? They won't pay ARA 1000 more euros per game...but they'll pay someone else, probably more, to start over?
Point 4 is why this explanation seems fishy as fuck.

I seriously doubt Dutch can afford option 3 or 4 at this point.

#2961 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That sounds great in principle, but in practice there are a ton of costs and issues involved with running a manufacturing facility that are better handled by someone who specializes in it. CMs will have better access to parts sources, volume discounts and expensive equipment that they can amortize across multiple clients versus you as a single entity could not afford.
Going the CM route was a smart play for Dutch, but it's unfortunate that they chose the wrong manufacturer to do it. I gather ARA is mostly making medical equipment and there are unique issues with pinball manufacture that perhaps they didn't understand or foresee.

If you constantly have delays and the project ends up being two years late it is very difficult to make a product either way (own factory or contract). JJP likely only survived because they built the factory and had a substantial factory set-up to show potential/eventual investors beyond the one extravagant game. Where is Dutch going to get cash to pay a different manufacturer when they have already invested in ARA? Alternatively, where would Dutch get $1000 extra per game to pay ARA?

#3001 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Rather the opposite. Huge fixed costs are the primary drag on solvency. That they have none is their one trump card amidst all the delays and meanderings. Nearly sunk JJP and others are in dire trouble.
Assuming of course that DP pay on completion and ARA aren't holding large deposits for machines finished or under production in eskrow ...

What does Dutch have to sell an investor to keep them afloat? It does not even sound as if they still have the license to make more than the 300 games they are supposedly committed to do.

#3026 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Being Dutch and a businessman myself must admit this remark does hurt me.
So you Americans have Trump as a president and this means all Americans are like him?? Guess what you are stating here is alternative news

But...you are speaking to a Canadian.

#3121 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's sounding more and more like this whole project is getting the rug pulled out from underneath it.

Was the rug peed on?

#3397 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, I'm just merely pointing out you can't spell licensed correctly. Carry on.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/licence-license/

1 week later
#3492 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are two sides to every story. Here's the most recent ARA letter. They claim Dutch didn't pay for the shipped containers & ~40 are ready to ship as soon as they're paid.
Who's lying? Who knows. Either they'll work it out with each other or they'll work it out in the courts.

One side is slandering the other publicly. Which one is it? At this point I am leaning to thinking Dutch is slandering ARA but would not be surprised if both are to some degree.

Money always seems to be a problem for new pinball companies. Somehow Spooky did not seem to have this amount of drama.

#3496 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got this email from Jaap this morning:
---------------------
ARA is not telling the truth. They don’t charge us the agreed price.
In May 2015 we agreed price A. In June 2016 ARA wanted much more money per TBL: A plus €1.000+. DP agreed with this price but only under the condition that ARA would deliver 300 TBLs plus 50 units of our 2nd title before the 31st of December 2016. A few months later (October 2016) we found out that ARA didn’t order parts for the production of the 50 units of our 2nd title. We confronted ARA with this and told them the deal of June is of because they don’t deliver in accordance with the clear condition (the delivery of 300 TBLs plus 50 units of our 2nd title before the 31st of December 2016).
ARA insists on charging us A plus €1.000+. They didn’t produce a single unit of our 2nd title.
For us this is unacceptable as you probably will understand. The agreed price is price A and not A plus €1.000+.
Please feel free to share this with the pinball community.
---------------------
So, they're sticking to their "ARA blew it" story. I just hope they had this conditional contract in writing.If we are to believe this...I think an interesting tidbit is the mention of the 2nd title. If they indeed finished designing a 2nd title and wanted it built by Dec. 2016, that means DP wasn't planning on being one-and-done, and that maybe gives me a bit more confidence that they'll work this all out...as they've got another game in the can that should have been ready to go.

Rare, how much of that do you suspect is the truth? The 2nd title in 2016 never would have seemed realistic even if looking at it from January 2016.

3 weeks later
#3879 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'll hold back speculation until the weekend, but this I can say either way:
Fuck Game#2.

Especially if they start taking pre-order money for game #2.

#4260 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I am still here and following the topic(s). I have learned (the hard way) that when emotions are involved it is better to give it a few days rest and some good night sleep. Find Rarehero's f*ck here f*ck here very annoying and proof that it is better to calm down first.
What can I say what already not has been said?
Let's work with my common business sense.
I am not their bookkeeper so don't have a real insight on their financial issues just my own common sense of doing business every day. Big question for us all does DP still have money on the bank and if yes, how much?
For sure not enough to refund everybody (money is spent on parts, PR, prototype, living etc; the PR, prototypes and living was supposed to come from the TBLprofit I assume but when refunding there is no profit) so asking a 100% refund for everybody is a no go and sure way to bankruptcy. It's a three person company of which 2 are owners and 1 is programmer. Do you really think they can cough it up? Best case if you wanna go the refund route would be that they split the money what is left over the 150 achievers which didnt get a pin which will be which amount per achiever? Also dont know if thats even possible legally as what happens if ARA says suddenly they accept the original agreed price for the 90 pcs built but than the money is already divided and sent back to the achievers?
Their business-plan must have been based on ARA keeping the contract-promise and make and deliver TBL in 2015. So its like a business transaction salespeople do every day, you purchase something and sell it with a markup big enough to live from and continue your business. In ARA they thought to have found a reliable partner. Heck, when people asked me if I was not afraid doing a pre-order at a startup company like DP of just a few people I always minimized the risk pointing at the big ARA behind DP and now it is ARA is killing them
So now TBL is not generating the required profit, its even dead in the water dependable on legal action yes-no/other CM, they are switching to a backup plan like BOP3. Its either generating new income or eat in further on TBL money. Is this a good plan? Time will tell but for sure its sensitive with us achievers. For me a BOP3 is not appealing but thats just me. I also had never interest in the original BOP. I know that some people have put down a BOP3 deposit at TPF.
Also, if ARA was so sure about their financial rights, why haven't they opened a financial claim against DP? I think the oldest invoice must be sure like >6 months old. In my company invoices older than 3 months I sent to an insurance company which will chase the customer to get the money through a bailiff and force into bankruptcy if we cant work out a payment agreement. However, I have to give them the complete file showing my invoices are correct and corresponding with the contract/order..... They are not spending their time on a case where the customer can easily show the invoices dont correspond with the order. With that in the back of my mind I find it very interesting to see that ARA has not filed a financial claim against DP through a bailiff (at least not that I know of)....
I think that a plan with a mediator is perhaps the best option for now. Can be quicker and cheaper as lawyers. I dont know the business experience of Jonathan and it has to be an experienced, and most of all independent, person as perhaps Jonathan Joosten offers (although I know as boardmember of the Dutch Pinball Association Jonathan can ask and keep asking critical questions so thats a good point for him ) . Independent as coming from outside the pinball-world to avoid claims of subjectivity from ARA (Jonathan is also an achiever to my knowledge). But if all parties agree to Jonathan I wish him all the success in the world and thank him for his time&effort.
I do know however mediation has been tried already (DP told already that several negotiations took place in the newsletter, mediation was 1 of them) but the 3rd person was somebody from the holding above ARA. Objectivity was just not there as this mediator turned out just to follow ARA. So I dont call that a real mediation effort.Explains also my above sentence about having somebody really independent to ALL parties. Dont think that DP didnt try in all this time to work it out with ARA. So a lot of ideas are like, been there, done that.
I also cant get my mind around ARA. What is their goal? If DP ends in bankruptcy they end with like 40-50 already delivered TBLs unpaid plus 40 hostage-pins unpaid. Also its common CM practice that the CM orders the parts, assembles, delivers and than gets paid. I know that the PROCS's have been paid by DP (info from newsletter) but a lot of the parts have been pre-paid by ARA for sure. Now they make a lot of stuff internally so no need to produce 300 pcs but looking at for instance the playfields. They have all 300 been ordered for sure, you dont make playfields per pc as its expensive to setup a robot for making the playfields. So a lot of money is at stake for ARA to. I am guessing >500-600 KUSD easily. So, whats their strategy? Very puzzling. I am afraid it has become something personal for somebody at ARA (made perhaps a big f*ck up in calculation and now wants to point finger at DP trying to safe his job perhaps?) and emotions are bad if you wanna make the right business-decisions.
Look, I understand the anger and feel also something of it myself to. Writing all the above down is like a calming exercise for me. More info is required but if lawyers are (going to be?) involved its common business practice to keep still. So even if DP is willing to share more info they might not be allowed to.
Yes, I do have more inside info as most of you but at the end it all corresponds with the info already given by DP, just more details. Have not seen the contract, not talked with ARA and am not DP bookkeeper. I can only rely on the info told by Jaap & Barry to me (and I also was told the PCB-story). Above post is thus just my PERSONAL thinking.
Regards from a fellow Dutch (so NOT Danish) dude wishing everybody (including DP) the best.
We are the country which is second after Amerika ( see » YouTube video starting at 40 seconds )
Denmark was 3rd I think

An arbitrator may be a good choice between ARA and Dutch but that only would be worthwhile if Dutch actually has money left to pay what they will owe.
Confidence that Dutch has enough money to pay the manufacturer for the pre-ordered games even at the original manufacturing price is not high in the pinball community.

1 year later
#7477 5 years ago
Quoted from EternalLife:

Hey RTR, For me it's only a numbers game - the numbers are still leaning heavily in our favor that DP will come out on top and deliver all the games to the EA's. ARA's numbers are extremely bad as the CM for TBL so that's good for DP in a big way.

You must smoke the good stuff over there.

#7591 5 years ago
Quoted from EternalLife:

I'm just trying to accept the situation we are in today and find a way forward. I don't want any EA's to lose on TBL, even those I don't agree with.

You don't have any choice but to accept the situation. Why is it up to you to find a way forward unless you are someone involved in the project?

#7601 5 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Just to clarify, in Dutch, the small print at the bottom states any information contained in this email is for the adressed only and not allowed to be publicly anounced or published.

https://www.businessattorneyinaustin.com/annoying-email-confidentiality-disclaimers/

1 year later
#10501 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I had 2 questions that were not answered (or asked) in the interview:
1. What happened to the 1.5 million dollars +- that DP received from EA’s?
where’s the f#cking money DP?

Quoted from Rensh:

In regard to the 40K salary story. I checked this with a bookkeeper.
There is no minimum salary you have to take out the company but but but the government will tax you like you took out 44KEUR as a salary. So even if you take zero salary taxes will have to paid compliant with a 44K salary. So you might as well take it out as when you leave it in the company you have to company tax on it.
Reason for this taxdepartment wants to avoid people using their company as a saving account (company tax is lower as salary tax). I think an average salary in NL is approx 37K so 44K is not an outrageous salary if you take it out a company.

It would be interesting to know when the last salary was taken from Dutch Pinball, or if a salary is continuing to be taken.

#10532 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Do you honestly believe with all your heart that DP is going to make enough games to make EA's whole? You can't possibly believe that one guy and a couple volunteers are going to build out 500 games by the end of 2020. Spooky has spent years now honing their process and getting their shit together and now can make 10 games a week. How long do you think DP is going to take to make even one game, let alone hundreds? If you do believe this, I think you are far too trusting of someone who has done nothing but lie and piss away other peoples money for years now. How much have you been told about DP's current financial situation and working capital? I have a hard time believing someone with a successful business like CT can look at this situation with that kind of rose colored glasses. If you don't actually believe DP can build these games, than my thoughts above are absolutely true. If DP goes tits up after building 50 games, how are you going to feel about being a part of selling off games that someone else already paid for? Most people will forget by then, but I won't.

It would be very hard to find 500 buyers at $12500, especially with a game that has been around for several years. Fear of missing out and having something rare drove the last 40 to sell at that price.
It has been said that without the approximately 500 additional sales at that price that the EA games will not get built.

#10646 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Does anyone really believe this is a $12,500 game? Take away the scarcity and what's it worth?

I have yet to see any pinball machine that is worth $12500 outside of scarcity/demand related factors.

#10704 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Just for the record, I am not Barry.

Are you really in Czech Republic?

#10707 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I don't think the failures we saw previously were due to failing to publicise a schedule... I think the main problem was not having a water-tight contract with ARA, and the bad decision to try and start up again in China before ARA were out of the picture... not inefficient or un-transparent scheduling...

It is pretty apparent that the funds were dried up so there was no way forward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=DCFAN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.