(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,282 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by MR-808
  • Topic is favorited by 286 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7793 (resized).jpeg
TBL Brown 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Brown 1 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2465 Tips on removing the upper playfield Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2474 Photo of the updated divertor Posted by sd_tom (7 years ago)

Post #2477 Photos of new tilt graphics side art for TBL Posted by jGraffix (7 years ago)

Post #2506 Factory visit update! Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #2926 DP's response to their issue with ARA and game manufacturing. Posted by JimB (7 years ago)

Post #2971 pinghetto contacts ARA for information regarding the delays Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #2973 pinghetto information regarding contacting ARA Posted by pinghetto (7 years ago)

Post #3056 ARA's email response about DP's claims. Posted by CrazyLevi (7 years ago)

Post #3483 Jaap from Dutch Pinball counters the ARA story. Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Post #3491 ARA counters the Jaap counter to ARA's previous communication! Posted by Rarehero (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Decent folger's can on ebay this week; actually says there's 2 available!
ebay.com link » 1984 Folgers Metal Coffee Can 39 Oz Automatic Drip Tin Dated 1984 With Lid
it's from a smoke free home though so, you know.. not totally authentic.

Who the F is buying that stuff if they're not a TBL fan? Boggles my mind the stuff that shows up on eBay.

2 months later
#227 8 years ago

Wow. That's how you communicate. Long time coming, overdue frankly, but way to go guys, excellent responses.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

You'd think audio and video from the actual movie you're paying universal for would be easy / come with securing the license.

You'd think. It's not nearly that simple though, trust me.

#255 8 years ago

Nice attention to detail. I wouldn't expect anything less though, whatever drama happened I still believe this is an awesome game.

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from el_duderino:

Can anyone suggest any websites or resources I can read up on for owning a pinball machine?

You should check out this awesome site called Pinside.

Seriously, do some searches here, everything you could possibly want to know has been discussed in depth.

For instance, just a search for tools:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-favorite-tool

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/complete-tool-kits

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tools-parts-kit

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-in-your-tool-kit

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-up-your-ultimate-shopping-out-a-pin-tool

Tons of really valuable info in there for the taking.

3 weeks later
#324 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So what do they mean by: "This week the pinball world lost another project which is really sad..."??

The Zidware mess presumably.

3 months later
#514 8 years ago

If they have a couple of final machines at Expo that will be rad, really looking forward to seeing it. I don't regret dropping out, the price was just too high for me to justify, but I still think it's a bad ass machine.

#521 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Any news on the "Dude Doobie" mod that you're aware of?

Scott and I have both been really busy, we haven't chatted much lately, we're going to catch up at Expo. He sent me a prototype board, but I'm not sure it's quite there yet compared to the candle flicker LED. Since the games weren't close to shipping I haven't stressed it, but I'll still make sure we get it working for everyone's TBLs.

#532 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

and some (of those who dropped out) had no money down at all.....

Right, I didn't have a dime down, I "dropped out" when the first payment was due and got cold feet over the price. Definitely didn't "free up any slots" or anything.

3 weeks later
#748 8 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Supposedly, the proto sold for around $25K (unconfirmed), which blows my mind. Clearly, there's a market for this game, whether it's shipping or not.

None of the collectors I talked to thought it was worth over $14k. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#752 8 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I wasn't trying to go off-topic or be a know-it-all / downer, but it's an unfortunate reality for every single one of us, especially when it's an $8500 purchase at stake.
And if you think THAT'S bad, then there's El Nino 2015/16, which climate experts are expecting to be the worst on record.

Someone should ask Jaap if TBL floats.

1 week later
#767 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Come on guys, you can see a part of green on the cabinet corner, how can you miss it

Was my Neo voice too subtle?

2 weeks later
#849 8 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

And last but not least, Melissa from Cointaker.

Finally got to meet Melissa at Expo, she deserves all the thumbs up!

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

And of course there is the fact that I have to dispute my credit card to get my money back...

I'm on record loving DP and TBL, so no hate here. But that's just messed up man. They have your money right? I mean they'd send you a game if you didn't bail I'm assuming. So it's just bizarre that they're making you jump through BS hoops like that.

DP, you gotta get your house in order guys. Can't be treating people like that. Cut him a check and find the money yourself.

Sorry for the sour attitude, but that rubs me the wrong way when someone I know gets treated like that.

Anyways, game looks bad ass, can't wait to see the final thing, all hiccups aside.

#850 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

That mini bowling alley has to be the coolest pinball mech ever.

I like to think of it as a mechanical video mode. Which is great, totally in the spirit of pinball. On the utterly ridiculous side too, but still, pretty awesome.

2 weeks later
#940 8 years ago

I had stars in my eyes after Expo 2014. Dutch Pinball was really impressive. I got cold feet when I sobered up a couple weeks later. Backed out before Phil Gate.

But man, they talked a good game. The reaction at Expo 2015 to their progress was pretty muted. But I'm still hopeful the final package will be great.

8 months later
#1949 7 years ago

Wow, super stoked for you guys. Dropping out was the right call for me, but I still can't wait to play one of these bad boys in a home setting, instead of the Expo floor or a hotel suite.

#2012 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Who making the Doobie mod?

I actually just came across my prototype the other day while digging for parts. I never got around to working with Scott to figure out where we'd tap for power, wire lengths, mounting, all that good stuff.

If I can be immodest for a moment, when I turned it on (hooked up to a 9 volt battery for testing with a switch) it looked pretty bad ass still.

3 weeks later
#2158 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Is it a limited run? I've already played it at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show and thought it was awesome, but I guess I thought they would produce it for a few years much like WOZ and there would end up being Big Lebowskis in local bars and arcades eventually. The Bride 2.0 kits Dutch Pinball did went through two runs and they've licensed the third run to Coin Taker. I see no reason to stop producing this stuff if the market is still buying.

With the price they're charging? It's limited by economics. Only so many people are going to pay that much for a pin, and then they'll have to shut the line down and move on would be my guess.

I can't see any bars buying a $10k pin. I think you owners are going to have a rare item.

#2167 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the game will sell well too if it's reliable and well coded. I'm in for one for sure if that's the case and they've opened ordering back up.

I'm rooting for DP, I just think the audience for $10k pins is limited. We're talking twice what a Stern Pro goes for. Yes, there are big TBL fans, but if they're not pinball people I can't see them shelling out. Think about it, would you buy a $10k themed TBL ... I dunno, jukebox? Slot car track? Some other collectible hobby that doesn't have the same emotional connection we have with pins.

We're in the bubble here, we love pinball, and we're kinda used to these crazy prices. I think once you leave the appeal is pretty limited.

IMHO if you want one you should get it soon. Maybe I'm wrong! But this strikes me as the kind of thing you buy while you can.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2170 7 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Maybe true but the harsh reality is without this price point for a startup company TBL never gets made. I'm glad it became a real product and am happy to have supported them.

Oh sure. It is what it is. I'm really glad it's actually being made, there was a time when it all seemed in jeopardy. And I have no crystal ball. Just have to see how it goes.

I hope they make a second game. I'll be honest though, I hope it's not $10k. These prices are just getting nuts.

#2172 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Please don't confuse this with a Stern Pro. The better comparison is it is $500 more than Jerry Jacks top model.

JJP's top game is too expensive too!

Look, I'm not being down on Dutch Pinball, or the game. I'm just saying, if you want one you might want to get it soon, I can't see these being made for years. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, who cares. But if I'm right and you were sitting on the sidelines ... that's all I'm getting at.

Remember, WOZ, which managed to get JJP in the door, was what? $6500 if you pre-ordered? I don't know what would have happened if they came out the game with WOZ at $10k.

#2182 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

I think Stern has a fairly fixed pricing model for licensing. My guess is that there are a bunch themes out there where the license cost doesn't fit their $4-8k price point.

Licenses are cheap! Maybe there's some particular license that has crazy restrictions, but that's the exception, not the rule. Remember, companies like to make money. Licenses are great, the companies pay for a little lawyer time to look something over, and otherwise someone else does all the work and generates revenue off a property "for free". Just cash the checks.

I'm simplifying, obviously, and if you start involving music and getting rights/speech from certain actors etc it can get more tricky. But licenses being super expensive is a myth like LCDs costing huge amounts to develop for.

All of these costs are easy to roll into the price of a pin.

#2196 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I imagine car mode(s) will be fleshed out some in the future.

I can't think of way to say this that doesn't sound dickish, but I played this game nearly 2 years ago, why isn't the code further along after all this time?

#2220 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

i would like to know what is the quality of the playfield, clear coating

Playfields are by Mirco, I expect them to be quality.

5 months later
#3258 7 years ago

Man, this sucks, I was really hopeful that this project had managed to escape all the drama, still thought I'd get to visit Rarehero's machine sometime in the nearish future.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all, and if these games every actually do ship I'll try and make up a batch of those joint mods for everyone to celebrate. Not gonna hold my breath though. Still, best of luck, hang in there as best you can, you've come this far, and I guess a lot of you don't really have a choice anyways ...

1 month later
#3923 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I doubt you heard that.

Huh, I must be imagining him telling me that the other night then.

#4234 7 years ago
Quoted from EternalLife:

Rarehero, you need to calm the f*ck down.

He doesn't need to do anything mom, good lord.

#4402 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Firing on the spot is very unusual in NL and only done in cases like theft, sexual misabuse or gross mismanagement.

So what you're saying is that anyone who gets a TBL should check it carefully with a black light?

blacklight (resized).pngblacklight (resized).png

1 month later
#4862 6 years ago

At this rate Charlie at Spooky is going to be the only original owner left in pinball by the end of 2017. Tough business.

#4875 6 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Can you be more specific about your assumption Aurich?

Just watching like anyone else. I'm a civilian these days. Back to my own projects. Like my title says, mods and opinions.

Quoted from Homepin:

Not at all......

Have you revealed or shipped a game? I haven't paid attention since you got all butt hurt about not selling to Americans or something. Never quite understood it, but it seemed like holding a gun to your own head so I tuned out. Is that still the case?

#4883 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

My anger was directed at PayPus for their shady practices, some mistook that as a general attack on Americans - incorrect.
I started a thread to show what work we are doing in the factory. There is certainly no requirement for you to look at that thread but please don't come on here saying "Homepin doesn't exist" until you have at least browsed that thread. As I have constantly said right from the start, our FIRST TAG machines will ship to countries OTHER THAN the USA because that is the market I identified as being the most receptive to this theme.
A finished , factory production Thunderbirds pinball will be exhibited at Pinfest, Newcastle Australia in October this year and full production will start straight after that.
Homepin currently manufactures several different machines including some exclusively for the Chinese market - some are OEM for other companies. Homepin is a fully functioning, operational arcade machine factory - right now - TODAY!

Sounds good, glad to hear that no US games thing wasn't a real thing.

#4938 6 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

...and that's why the #1 active pinball company is in 'Merica.

Can confirm that European pinball companies seem to take a lot of holidays.

4 months later
#6201 6 years ago

Rarehero is my friend, so I'm not going to even pretend I'm not biased here, but it's not his fault you don't have your games, this is 100% on DP and their broken promises and poor management. Don't tear each other down over it.

I've been out for a long time, got cold feet when they wanted money and things weren't feeling right (lucky me), but I don't think anyone needs special permission to post in this thread. And no one needs to be nice about how they're feeling.

Facebook just did their "check out your memory!" crap on me, look at this thing:

10710863_10205387394552798_18717632551995562_n (resized).jpg10710863_10205387394552798_18717632551995562_n (resized).jpg

That was 3 freaking years ago, end of the TBL launch party at Expo. That's me and Rarehero in the middle with @fattrain. Was something like 4 in the morning, before the hotel kicked us out of the suite for being too loud. We were all in on the DP train, drank gallons of the Kool-Aid. I had nothing but good things to say about the company. That's Phil on the left.

Different era. Boy did it go to shit after that.

Frankly anyone who's been in this long has the right to be angry. They have the right to tell DP to go fuck themselves. They have the right to call them out on this latest nonsense, if you think building in China with this new pyramid scheme is a real solution I'd suggest thinking about it more. I know a little bit now about pinball building from the inside, not a lot mind you, but enough to know how hard it is with people who ostensibly understand pinball. Going to China is the last thing that makes sense to me, even if they had the money sorted, which they clearly don't.

I get that people want this to succeed, and you might resent anyone who's saying negative things if you think it's going to hurt the chances of that happening, but that ship sailed a long time ago, nothing needs to be said for people to think twice about giving these guys more money.

If you're mad you missed out on Greg's DP shirt you can have mine, I'm sure as hell not going to wear it.

1 year later
#9099 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Oh yes, the community is great! with a get it fixed attitude, but.... It's not like you can just order replacement anything easily to fix. I think I remember hearing sunshine laudrymat has one sitting collecting dust cause it's broken.
So no fix will be easy, quick, or cheap.

The difference between Alien and TBL is there are some 100-200 Aliens out in the wild, as opposed to the handful of TBLs, so there's simply more scale to the resources.

Alien also has a team of people still around able to offer little bits of assistance where possible. It's probably much more finished code wise too for that matter, but I honestly have no idea what the state of TBL code really is anymore.

Still, it's proof that a lot of things are possible where there's desire and a will to solve problems.

#9104 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not about scale - it's about the individuals involved or motivated. None of the research or sourcing of new bits was done on the premise of break-even number of units or sales to justify the work. In fact, very few of the post-HWP projects done to make Alien more viable were even sold period.
Obviously scale helps - but motivated individuals is the mandatory step 1.

Sure, I didn't mean scale like "let's make a profit selling fixes to people", but scale helps in two ways:

1) You just get a larger pool of people to have a chance of those motivated individuals, who also have the skills needed

2) When you want to do a run of PCBs, LED light boards or something, it's helpful to know there's a pool of owners who need them, often times there are just minimum viable run numbers to deal wtih

All I'm really getting at is if you can get enough TBL out into the wild the chances of people figuring out how to keep them running go up. Look at Alien as a test case for that notion.

It's a shit show, I dunno what to tell people. I bailed before sending in my first payment, just couldn't stomach what felt like a risk. Sorry that I was right, but it at least helps me imagine being in people's shoes. But my personal feeling is this:

- Anyone who lost money, it sucks, but these things are gambles and you gotta accept a certain about of risk. You're not getting a fridge from Best Buy

- Whatever personal feelings and emotions anyone has, the world is better off with games out being played than sitting in a factory

So I hope they get in people's hands. Someone is gonna get screwed on this, no doubt. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

#9148 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I think we can all agree, based on what we've seen from other pinball manufactuers other than Stern, that it's not easy to fire up a pinball production line and start rolling out games

And yet, Spooky has made over 1000 games. American Pinball might not be pumping them out, but I'm sure everyone in this thread wishes there were as many TBLs made as Houdini and Oktoberfest. One is a scrappy story of just doing the work, and being persistent, one is a story of investors footing the bill. Big spectrum there, but they both made it work.

#9150 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Don't be so sure of that

Oh, I'm definitely sure of it. But it's been a pretty drama free factory, so that's nice.

#9347 4 years ago

This is why someone, anyone, just making this game again makes no sense to me. You either fuck everyone who was invested already, and the shit storm and probably lawsuits that brings. Or you start off some million dollars, give or take, in the hole. Which is a not awesome way to start making a product.

I'm no crystal ball reader, but the future of TBL seems over to me, this is it, move on.

1 week later
#9500 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Right. Which is precisely what people are complaining about. I get Cointaker starting by offering games to people whose deposits they were holding. But it should have been possible to offer any remaining games to the EAs first (at $12.5k with no credit for money they’d previously paid to DP, of course). Then if EAs didn’t want them, open to the general public.

Just out of curiosity, how would CT have done that? Just logistically speaking. Are they supposed to have some kind of list? Why would they? If you didn't order through them what would they know about it?

It's not like there were enough machines to satisfy all the EA people. No matter what a lot were going to be left in the cold with hurt feelings. I just don't see a winning move here. CT got offered this deal, apparently with almost no publicity they sold out practically instantly, and they're moving forward.

I get the desire to do something for the EA, but the fact is DP screwed all of them, and there's no magic band aid for it. Being mad at CT seems misplaced, be mad at DP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

15,000 (OBO)
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 210.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.