(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,275 posts
  • 860 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by Vimtoman
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 306.
#3751 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

$6,000? And then ARA wants $1000 on top? That math would never work. Shipping plus CT's cut plus IP. DP stands to make $500 a game or $150K! Out of that minus art, programing, admin, office rent, lawyers. DP would be a nonprofit pinhead hobby.

The high volume Stern Pros are likely closer to $1500 BOM and assembly costs than $3000. But I'd say given the issues with ARA $6k is probably conservative.

If the new CM works out, and they are indeed larger and can produce the games more quickly and efficiently, that probably also means cheaper too. Also more likelihood of more than 300 being produced. So possibility of some silver lining. We'll see.

#3752 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Also more likelihood of more than 300 being produced

The license has expired. They'll have to renew it...I don't see that happening.

#3753 7 years ago

DP stands to make $500 a game or $150K! Out of that minus art, programing, admin, office rent, lawyers. DP would be a nonprofit pinhead hobby.

I get your point, but a lot of us don't care about DP's profitability at this point. When it comes down to brass tacks, their problems/woes shouldn't be our ours. Unfortunately, it's the cost/risk of doing business.

I would not feel so strongly if we didn't have to contend with the drama with Phil, music licensing, delays, lack of transparency, and fibs.

#3754 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The high volume Stern Pros are likely closer to $1500 BOM and assembly costs than $3000. But I'd say given the issues with ARA $6k is probably conservative.
If the new CM works out, and they are indeed larger and can produce the games more quickly and efficiently, that probably also means cheaper too. Also more likelihood of more than 300 being produced. So possibility of some silver lining. We'll see.

If ARA is getting $6k (and wants more) then everything is fucked here Dude.

#3755 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I get your point, but a lot of us don't care about DP's profitability at this point. When it comes down to brass tacks, their problems/woes shouldn't be our ours. Unfortunately, it's the cost/risk of doing business.
I would not feel so strongly if we didn't have to contend with the drama with Phil, music licensing, delays, lack of transparency, and fibs.

I try to only worry about things I can influence or have control over.

#3756 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's new information? When was that disclosed?

#3757 7 years ago

As I mentioned earlier if people think building a pin like TBL in small volume can be done with profits far bigger than usd 1000 keep on dreaming.

Ara demanding this kind of money extra is pushing the markup in the red or close by and than we have not even touched the topic of license costs, marketing, shows, salaries for Jaap, Koen and Barry.

Yep, you can state rightfully that this is DP problem not yours (Rarehero says a lot of things I disagree with, his tone is very not dude (he has the role of Walter ) but his remark that we are customers and not investors is a correct one allthough it feels different ) but you are talking here of a startup company. So their problem is also our problem. Like it or not but it's a fact in pinball life.

Like P3 said in a special K podcast, there are only few ways to fund a startup and preorder model is likely most achievable or you have to be rich yourself ...... can tell you Barry and Jaap are no millionaires or at least don't live like it

So hang on tight and reread Rubberducks earlier true words.

Got to play a captain Nemo further today, sn 3. Ordered 5 years ago and delivered some weeks ago. So it proofs it can still happen !!

#3758 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Still not sure how people expect full disclosure and constant updates when they're in dispute with the CM, legal action is likely pending, and they appear to be in advanced negotiations with another CM.

LOL. People aren't asking for that; quit changing the premise.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Why would they jeopardise the latter and weaken their position in the former by posting here?

It doesn't take PhD to provide some basic communication while also avoiding jeopardizing or weakening their position.

#3759 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not true. Why are you saying this? The usual badmouthing I assume?

#3760 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Not true. Why are you saying this? The usual badmouthing I assume?

The usual badmouthing? I've supported this project since its inception. I've supported Dutch since day 1. I was order #1 of BOP 2.0. Sorry if I'm not playing the part of company ambassador.

Pinball licenses last 3 years. 3 years is up. Can't imagine Universal would renew it after how things have gone...I wonder if Universal knows how their license is being handled at the moment. Do they know of the hostage games and this whole situation? I'm biting my tongue until after Texas - if I don't like what Jaap has to say, I'll be contacting the licensing people at Universal the following week.

#3761 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The usual badmouthing? I've supported this project since its inception. I've supported Dutch since day 1. I was order #1 of BOP 2.0. Sorry if I'm not playing the part of company ambassador.
Pinball licenses last 3 years. 3 years is up. Can't imagine Universal would renew it after how things have gone...I wonder if Universal knows how their license is being handled at the moment. Do they know of the hostage games and this whole situation? I'm biting my tongue until after Texas - if I don't like what Jaap has to say, I'll be contacting the licensing people at Universal the following week.

They tend to get shifted forwards until production date begins, often with a date by which production must start.

Given that this is neither a blue ribband IP for Universal, nor have DP ever made any claims of high production (and thus any real revenue for Universal) for the title, I doubt they wouldn't have been flexible.

Jaap stated in November that licensing was not the issue behind no announcement about a further run beyond the 300, but that contract negotiations with ARA would be necessary to extend further than 300. Could be untrue. But it certainly makes sense in light of recent events.

#3762 7 years ago

Yep, you are very supporting now

They say you know who truely your friends are when times are bad ......

So just the idea you have that licenses go for three years made you state that the TBL license has ended? No fact checking, just shouting things to stir the masses. Pinside at his best

What in heavens name you wanna gain with contacting Universal? Just, very hypothetically, suppose your action will get the license revoked, how does this help your case??

I truely don't think the license is at stake but just the fact you wanna go to Universal to create trouble really p*sses me off. This is not a Kevin situation or do you think Roger Sharpe also f*cked up to use the word you like so much?

Flame suit on.

#3763 7 years ago

Stern does 3 year timeframes on their licenses IIRC, but I bet others can be different if they tried.

#3764 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Yep, you are very supporting now
So just the idea you have that licenses go for three years made you state that the TBL license has ended? No fact checking, just shouting things to stir the masses. Pinside at his best
What in heavens name you wanna gain with contacting Universal? Just, very hypothetically, suppose your action will get the license revoked, how does this help your case?? I truely don't think the license is at stake but just the fact you wanna go to Universal to create trouble really p*sses me off. This is not a Kevin situation or do you think Roger Sharpe also f*cked up to use the word you like so much?
Flame suit on.

Rench, this is beyond "friends". I considered Barry and Jaap friends, until it was clear they were lying to us. Friends don't lie to friends. So, now they're guys running a business I bought a product from. I want the product I bought.

As for the license being done - I have a trusted source who I believe 100%. That source would know. That source has never lied to me. Don't believe me? That's on you. I don't throw bombs to throw bombs.

As for Universal- Buyers are currently at the whim of Dutch's "truth"...and we have no idea if that truth IS the truth. Universal is a powerful party who could possibly help get to the bottom of all this.

#3765 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Really @Rensh? I'm super thankful for the info you provided us, but I can't agree with your statement. This isn't a "friendship." They have our money and we have nothing after 2-3 years of patiently waiting. DP has been super shady on the communication and clarity. Not very friend-like right?

Most of their customer base is US-based. It's not like we could enjoy the fruits of a party or factory tour like you and other UK/European locals. They had no business celebrating until all games shipped out the door.

Rarehero has every right to push for answers. I'm glad someone is digging, otherwise we'd have zero idea of where this project stands.

#3766 7 years ago

IMG_3890 (resized).JPGIMG_3890 (resized).JPG

#3767 7 years ago

Communication (resized).jpgCommunication (resized).jpg

#3768 7 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Most of their customer base is US-based. It's not like we could enjoy the fruits of a party or factory tour like you and other UK/European locals. They had no business celebrating until all games shipped out the door.
rarehero has every right to push for answers. I'm glad someone is digging, otherwise we'd have zero idea of where this project stands.

It was a short notice replacement for the lack of Dutch Pinball Open (not DP the company) last year, and people paid a modest sum to attend and cover the costs.

#3769 7 years ago

They are crooks, plain & simple. Without them contacting buyers after another delay & broken promises offering a refund or partial refund, it is obvious they cannot fund refunds.

If you don't want to believe me, tough titty.

#3770 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It was a short notice replacement for the lack of Dutch Pinball Open (not DP the company) last year, and people paid a modest sum to attend and cover the costs.

Unless I'm missing something, all communication I received called it a "VIP Factory Tour." They were celebrating the beginning of production.

The first games shipped 2 months later in April 2016. You must be referring to the other factory tour in November 2016. Even then, by that time, they had barely shipped any games!

dutch schedule (resized).pngdutch schedule (resized).png

#3771 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

They are crooks, plain & simple. Without them contacting buyers after another delay & broken promises offering a refund or partial refund, it is obvious they cannot fund refunds.
If you don't want to believe me, tough titty.

#106. You?

#3773 7 years ago

Well no need to fret then. CT has your deposit.

#3774 7 years ago

They aren't crooks, plain and simply Mr. Bally. They've delivered 51 pins, plain and simple. This isn't a jpop scrap together some games to not get sued. It's another philgate. A tree in the road if you will. They delivered 51 pins that are of high quality, fully functioning and very fun to play. If it wasn't for ARA holding the 40 or so games they would have shipped them already. Going to Universal is ridiculous, totally undudelike and like Rensh said it wont get you your game in the end. There is no way DP can refund early achievers at this point, so as hard and frustrating as it is just hang in there. They've been on this quest for over 5 years now and have probably dealt with thousands of problems that nobody even knew about. For Christ Sake let them work it out. I'm sure we will know by TPF.

#3775 7 years ago

Moderation notice:
I understand this is a sensitive topic.
But try to keep this discussion civil, thanks.

#3776 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Got to play a captain Nemo further today, sn 3. Ordered 5 years ago and delivered some weeks ago. So it proofs it can still happen !!

Cool! Welcome to the Nemo's owner club (all 3 posted in this thread!).

It happened because Antonio accepted to lose some money and a lot of time. By assembling his games (at least the ones for Europe) himself in his garage he kept overheads to a minimum. The model works for very small production runs, but can't be viable for 300.

#3777 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Cool! Welcome to the Nemo's owner club (all 3 posted in this thread!).
It happened because Antonio accepted to lose some money and a lot of time. By assembling his games (at least the ones for Europe) himself in his garage he kept overheads to a minimum. The model works for very small production runs, but can't be viable for 300.

Jim, to avoid further confusion. I stated I played it, I don't own it unfortunately

So not in Nemo owners club, it is Ad Jonker's Nemo I played.

#3778 7 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

They aren't crooks, plain and simply Mr. Bally. They've delivered 51 pins, plain and simple. This isn't a jpop scrap together some games to not get sued. It's another philgate. A tree in the road if you will. They delivered 51 pins that are of high quality, fully functioning and very fun to play. If it wasn't for ARA holding the 40 or so games they would have shipped them already. Going to Universal is ridiculous, totally undudelike and like Rensh said it wont get you your game in the end. There is no way DP can refund early achievers at this point, so as hard and frustrating as it is just hang in there. They've been on this quest for over 5 years now and have probably dealt with thousands of problems that nobody even knew about. For Christ Sake let them work it out. I'm sure we will know by TPF.

Most pinball manufacturers start off with good intentions but don't realize how much cash is needed to get to full production and beyond.

But I have always been pretty disappointed with the way these guys communicate and sold my BOP 2.0 without a single regret ages ago. Whatever happened to the code update that was supposedly done months ago?

Anyway hope Texas brings good news.

#3779 7 years ago

I hope some of the EA's are able to get to the TPF and talk to Jaap and see and hear what he has to say.
Hopefully the information presented by Jaap will calm down all the unnecessary speculation that is being posted on this thread. It's all very undude like.

#3780 7 years ago

When one puts a deposit down on say a car and the order is delayed, purchaser's ( note, I did not say "investors or early adopters") are not told that the only person who can answer the reason for the delay will be making a presentation to explain everything at the Chicago, New York or LA Auto Show (always the farthest location).

#3781 7 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I hope some of the EA's are able to get to the TPF and talk to Jaap and see and hear what he has to say.
Hopefully the information presented by Jaap will calm down all the unnecessary speculation that is being posted on this thread. It's all very undude like.

I will be there at TPF.

#3782 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

When one puts a deposit down on say a car and the order is delayed, purchaser's ( note, I did not say "investors or early adopters") are not told that the only person who can answer the reason for the delay will be making a presentation to explain everything at the Chicago, New York or LA Auto Show (always the farthest location).

I usually just contact the vendor or if it's outside the timeframe of when I need it, cancel and buy it somewhere else.

#3783 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinball licenses last 3 years. 3 years is up. Can't imagine Universal would renew it after how things have gone...

Pinball licenses last whatever you negotiate. Just because Stern usually goes for a 3-year deal doesn't mean DP did. Aside from that you can always negotiate extensions and renewals. Shouldn't be a big deal at all, especially not when the right people negotiate that (if needed in the first place).

Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if Universal knows how their license is being handled at the moment. Do they know of the hostage games and this whole situation?

The license isn't treated in any way. Just because you're waiting for your game (as am I) doesn't affect the license at all. Only your perception of certain aspects.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm biting my tongue until after Texas - if I don't like what Jaap has to say, I'll be contacting the licensing people at Universal the following week.

Yeah, that's what we need. Turn a movie studio against DP so not only you but everybody else won't get their game. Fuck it up for everybody, because you may not like what Jaap has to say. Very undudelike. Plus your game is already build. Whenever this goes to court chances are those games will be ordered to be delivered straight away, so you'll get yours in time. But you can still fuck it up for those who's game still has to be build. So how will your actions benefit the process? And if your actions result in the rest of the games not being build, how do you think I (and others) will appreciate that?

Here's what I suggest: DP are working on a solution. Let them handle it, they are plenty capable to do so. It may not go as fast as you like, as there are now lawyers involved who prefer to stretch things as long as they can in order to write more hours. Last thing this situation needs is people assuming thing ruining it for everybody else. Most startup companies need 4-5 years to deliver their first game. DP was already quicker with a quality product. So there's a new bump in the road. Too bad, but once you get your game you don't care anymore. Then it was just part of the waiting process and all water under the bridge. I waited years for my BBB. Once I got it I didn't look back, I just enjoyed the game.

#3784 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Here's what I suggest: DP are working on a solution. Let them handle it, they are plenty capable to do so.

They need to prove this. Silence and lies don't give me confidence. Like I said, I'm chilling till Texas. Then we'll see.

Quoted from unigroove:

Yeah, that's what we need. Turn a movie studio against DP so not only you but everybody else won't get their game. Fuck it up for everybody, because you may not like what Jaap has to say

See now you're getting into Predator witch hunt territory. Blame the victims, not the source of the problems. DP is 100% the problem here. They fucked this up. If I go digging for answers, sorry, I'm not the problem.

If everyone sees me as the enemy, here's the solution: Convince DP to give me a refund. I'll sign an NDA or a restraining order or whatever. I'll disappear. You'll never hear from me again. I honestly don't even care anymore. If I need a Lebowski fix I'll just watch the movie. Pinball sucks.

#3785 7 years ago

I usually just contact the vendor or if it's outside the timeframe of when I need it, cancel and buy it somewhere else.

We get it. You're cool as a cucumber. You don't sweat the small stuff and you're OK waiting in limbo on a long overdue $8,500 purchase because it's "out of your control." Keep in mind we are talking about a cash purchase here. This isn't something we can easily cancel.

MrBally made a valid point. Just because you and few others are OK with being left in the dark, doesn't mean the rest of us share the same philosophy. I think it's clear that some of us are tired of the drama and lack of transparency.

I feel like a broken record, but the fact that we need to beg DP for updates is complete BS! I also shouldn't need a trade show to get them either. This is the point MrBally was making, which has been supported by a few others, including myself.

We are not being dickheads. You may be content with radio silence and getting your product status updates from tradeshows, but not everyone has to agree with you.

ALSO-
Keep in mind that @rarehero's efforts helped us learn how the "board issues" were a cover-up. We'd still be sitting here speculating about them if he and others had not done any due diligence. Where's the appreciation?

I've been working Product Development for more than 15 years, so I know what it takes to get a product out the door. This isn't cool nor fun anymore. I'm sure most of us would be OK with the truth vs. the "hide the wienie" game DP has been playing for quite some time (music licensing, the apron, production start dates).

#3786 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They need to prove this.

No they don't. You expect them to show you the contract? All they need to do is deliver you your game or refund you. Delivering you your game is just a matter of time as it is already build, but I rather see them refund you. Heck, I'll take your number in line over my own, so I get my game sooner and someone else can move up a spot.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Blame the victims, not the source of the problems.

Just be cause you feel you're a "victim" doesn't mean that entitles you to cause more problems and blow it up for everybody. You do that you're clearly a problem for everyone in line behind you. Got a text from both Barry and Jaap this morning saying that the license has not expired, so that's not even an issue. Yet you're trying to create one based on incorrect assumptions and apparently unreliable sources. Over the line! Since you're so confident: where is your proof that the license expired? You have copies of contracts? If you don't I suggest you sit back, relax and stop stirring up a pot for no reason other than your own insecurity about the situation.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinball sucks.

So why are hanging out here so much?

#3787 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

No they don't. You expect them to show you the contract? All they need to do is deliver you your game or refund you.

They've refused to refund me and my game is hostage. So - yeah. After the PCB lie, all burdens are on them, and silence and "no info to give" emails don't cut it. Show us all contracts and paperwork or I won't believe a word. Only way I trust them again is refund or game.

Quoted from unigroove:

e clearly a problem for everyone in line behind you. Got a text from both Barry and Jaap this morning saying that the license has not expired, so that's not even an issue

Why do you believe them? They haven't earned our trust back yet.

Quoted from unigroove:

So why are hanging out here so much?

Kills time while on the shitter.

#3788 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I rather see them refund you.

That's really not fair to say considering @rarehero's money helped kickstart this project in the first place.

Quoted from unigroove:

Got a text from both Barry and Jaap this morning saying that the license has not expired, so that's not even an issue.

Fortunately, you guys (Rensh included) have the inside scoop. We don't have it like that.

I don't think anyone here believes Barry and Jaap are bad guys. It's obvious we love their work. We just need them to be straightforward and forthright so that we aren't speculating and going at each other. If it takes a threat or kick in the ass, so be it. We all bought into TBL and helped make this thing happen. At the end of the day, we DO have some common ground (besides a fondness for pinball).

#3789 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Hey whatever guys I knew I would get some "boo hoo" comments but little over the top, it's a forum I posted a feeling about it all, I'm entitled just as much as everyone.

Hey for the record my STFU comment to you was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. It was really more a "c'mon, man!" ....I didn't mean for it to come off personal. My beef is with Dutch, not anyone who bought the game. I'm just splattering my emotions out here cuz what else can I really do in this situation. I'm really mostly Dude about it all - if I was "full Walter" I'd have gotten way deeper angry about all this. I'm mostly just in a state of disbelief how ridiculous this has gotten.

Also I've been getting so much joy from the new Zelda I barely care about pinball anymore....I just wanna know if I'll ever see a box or my cash, I sorta don't care which one at this point.

#3790 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

#3791 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

14,908 posts in 4 years. I think you need to see your gastroenterologist.

#3792 7 years ago

I did not know a Human being could be full with so much shit..

#3793 7 years ago

Fox Studios - Good morning thank you for contacting Fox Studios how can we help you

Rarehero - Hi my name is Rarehero

Fox Studios - *click*

I wouldn't really worry about what Rarehero does.....

#3794 7 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Fox Studios - Good morning thank you for contacting Fox Studios how can we help you
Rarehero - Hi my name is Rarehero
Fox Studios - *click*
I wouldn't really worry about what Rarehero does.....

I'm sure that would happen . That would be the wrong number!
It's Universal Studios that Rarehero should be calling

#3795 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

For sure, time for somebody to get a life!

#3796 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Right. Rarehero is such a loser. He doesn't have any other interests or hobbies. His job probably sucks too!

#3797 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I won't deny being a forum addict over the years. Lately not so much. I'm poppin' a squat right now! That's my Pinside check in time.

#3798 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes. There are many of us that spend too much time here. Some pointing fingers.

#3799 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He's a producer for the TV show Family Guy and other work in Hollywood. He's also very passionate about pinball.
Thumbs down for you snotty comment.

I believe he was being facetious.

#3800 7 years ago

Off topic.
I love that my wife hates that I love Family Guy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 22.50
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colts Neck, NJ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.