(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,281 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by PinBalt
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TBL Brown 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 2 (resized).jpg
TBL Brown 1 (resized).jpg
TBL Bl 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 306.
#3651 7 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

really...ask the 150+ customers who have paid in full direct to DP.

Quoted from kapper:

really...ask the 150+ customers who have paid in full direct to DP.

If your paid in full and worried you can always put your spot up for sale, a few have lately and have seemed to sell. Plus your still in a better boat then us predator people, i'm paid in full and i'll never see my game.

#3652 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was bugging DP almost daily for a bit...backed off a little...bugged them again yesterday, and they said no new news to report. I heard from someone else that they will explain everything at TPF...so, I'm just gonna hang back and see what transpires there before I decide on my next course of action.

Sending daily mails will not help, will only work on your own nerves. This matter takes time and sending daily mails only reminds you again again and again on this situation. Let it loose for some time pls and trust, or hope if you prefer that word, that DP is doing their best and don't need reminders. They are not forgetting us

So don't drive yourself crazy !!

#3653 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Let it loose for some time pls and trust, or hope if you prefer that word, that DP is doing their best and don't need reminders.

It's hard. They lied, and while I *hope* the right thing happens in the end, I have no evidence that will be the case. If they want my trust back, they need to earn it...offer a good faith refund to their customers. Refund me back $7500, keep $1000 as a desposit...and I'll pay the rest when the game is ready to ship. Without a good faith refund, it will be hard to truly have trust in them at all.

#3654 7 years ago

@Rensh, thanks for the info. If this is only a financial / contract issue, would it be ridiculous to suggest DP push for an agreement -> ARA to ship the already made games at the contracted price, DP to pay monies owed from first container of delivered pins, DP to put funds into escrow for the 40 built pins to be shipped and ARA initiate lawsuit for what they feel is unpaid and a path forward? This would be in everybody's best interest and the games won't be held hostage.. a win-win-win-win! Oh well. .. someone mixed my medicine, I don't know what I'm on.

#3655 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Rensh, thanks for the info. If this is only a financial / contract issue, would it be ridiculous to suggest DP ask for -> ARA to ship the already made games at the contracted price, DP to pay monies owed from first container of delivered pins, DP to put funds in escrow for the 40 built pins to be shipped, ARA to ship 40 games and ARA initiates a lawsuit for what they feel is unpaid to them and a path forward? This would be in everybody's best interest and the games won't be held hostage.. a win-win-win-win! Oh well. .. someone mixed my medicine, I don't know what I'm on.

There's just no way this is going to end without legal arbitration unless ARA suddenly back down. Even then, it seems unlikely. From what I've heard through the grapevine, there is little doubt that ARA definitely are asking for significantly more than the contractually agreed price ... whether they have any case for it or not, I have no clue.

Either way, there's no chance of DP cooperating in the way you suggest or any other.

This is a divorce, not an argument and someone sleeping on the sofa for a few weeks.

As with any divorce, all parties should hope for the cleanest, quickest break possible. As is often the case though, those hopes may mean very little and it could become very messy.

#3656 7 years ago

@Rensh, wish you'd have asked Barry if funds were available to pay for these and the other preordered games not yet made. Because if that was not true, it could be a cause of further concern to many. I'm sure you got a good read and could judge his sincerity. If true, my paradigm would shift on this matter and make DP 100% in the right. If it was only a disagreement over what's owed and there is no question of having 100% of funds available, I'd be overjoyed to learn. So wish you'd have thought to ask Barry.

#3657 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

whether they have any case for it or not, I have no clue.

Yeah, this is the tough part that having dinner with Barry won't really give you a clear picture on. I'm sure they thought they were in the clear with all the licensing too.. even arguing as much when Philgate happened.. and it wasn't until Sharpe got involved that all was ultimately settled, and changes did have to be made. So no matter if they thought they were right.. they weren't.

Rensh's post makes me wonder if they will instead try to sell game 2 before resolving TBL. Get the cashflow going with game 2, work on TBL's legal wranglings, and then come back to TBL backlog when either ARA is resolved.. or with your new CM after new contractor is proven and you have some fresh cash from game2 sales.

#3658 7 years ago

<sigh>
Well....on a related good news front, Goodman finally got his well-deserved star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame today.

TBL (resized).jpgTBL (resized).jpg

#3659 7 years ago

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jeff-bridges-dude-big-lebowski-john-goodman-walk-of-fame-1202006543/

He should have brought a coffee can of ashes to throw out over the star and have it blow over the crowd!

#3660 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

They were on the Pinball Expo schedule including the giant ones on easels at the hotel until they got crossed off a few hours prior to their session start time. Afterwards, the website version was changed
To be fair, there were other changes to the schedule. Mr. Personality comes to mind......

Was checking the thread to see if they delivered any good news at TPF. Cancelling seems like bad news. Anyone know anything different?

#3661 7 years ago

DP is still on the TPF schedule for 3 PM on Saturday the 25th.

#3662 7 years ago

Only 12 days, 17 hrs, and 33 minutes ...

Not that I'm anxiously awaiting this or anything.

#3663 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Was checking the thread to see if they delivered any good news at TPF. Cancelling seems like bad news. Anyone know anything different?

Last week Barry confirmed me in person that Jaap is going to TPF so where the cancellation story comes from ??? No idea.

#3664 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Only 12 days, 17 hrs, and 33 minutes ...
Not that I'm anxiously awaiting this or anything.

Legal talk or new contract manufacturer don't happen overnight

This thing takes time to solve but more info would be great. Also ofcourse as soon as legal issues are envolved people are extra careful with mentioning things

#3665 7 years ago

torch (resized).pngtorch (resized).png

Crowd greeting Jaap @ TPF

#3666 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Being local and friends with Barry I paid Barry a personal visit this week, shared a meal and had a lengthy discussion with him on this topic.
What I can share is my true feeling that DP is in the right and ARA in the wrong. Have got a lot of inside details supporting my opinion that ARA has been changing the rules during the game against contract and normal business ethics. So DP is now caught in this bad situation which is not easily solved and certainly not overnight.
What I also saw was a person who is, with Jaap, working hard to find a solution for this bad situation. This will need time however. This is also the reason for lack of news. There is just nothing new to report besides the info which has been shared already (eg. another CM, researching legal ways against ARA). You can imagine that both options need time and posting on public forums is not always the best for the case. You cant expect them to disclose all details in public. This would not be wise.
As I mentioned earlier, both Jaap & Barry are true pinball lovers who want to make this happen. Yes, we do have our hard-earned money on the line but not only they have also personal money on the line, it is also their dream who is at stake. This combo is what they are fighting for and hard. Am I 100% sure it will all end well? No, this would be not realistic. But, I am 100% confident DP is trying their best to overcome the bad situation caused by ARA and they have a good shot. The Dutch CM they are talking to is a local well-known name with a good rep, deep pockets and much bigger as ARA. If they take on this case they have the capacity to act quickly, Not only TBL design is ready ofcourse but also design pin 2 is finalized. The lawyer they have is very confident on this case but legal ways cost time and capital.
What's the above worth? For me everything and for you perhaps nothing as it are 'just' words but I wanted to share it anyway. Jaap is going to TPF so approach him there and I hope you will get the same feeling as I have.
Regards from a fellow Dutch dude

All great to hear...but (and please refrain from throwing rotten tomatoes at me) I need to be devil's advocate...

That's one side of basically saying the other side is wrong, and providing it by third party. I feel like they need to come and make a post on here, and we also don't have anything official from ARA. I don't think there was ever any doubt that DP has a great passion for this, but it's a matter of what the real situation is beyond "it's their fault" and what steps are being taken. From both sides.

#3667 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

They were on the Pinball Expo schedule including the giant ones on easels at the hotel until they got crossed off a few hours prior to their session start time. Afterwards, the website version was changed
To be fair, there were other changes to the schedule. Mr. Personality comes to mind......

Show websites aren't constantly updated with the current info... as someone that deals with one, I think it's pretty damn optimistic to think they are

#3668 7 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

That's one side of basically saying the other side is wrong, and providing it by third party.

We're expected to "hold our water" until they figure it out.

None of us have anything in writing in terms of a sales agreement with DP (or Cointaker). We also don't have the backing of a credit card company to support our payments to DP/Cointaker. I don't know the law in The Netherlands, but DP would get annihilated here in the US if it came down to legal action. I don't think a Dutch judge would be keen with DP holding customer funds hostage until they worked out a solution with their contract manufacturer. Too much time has elapsed and there's a lack of transparency/communication from DP. Game over. Not our problem!

If a performer cancels and/or reschedules their event, Ticketmaster doesn't hold your money until the performer reschedules or returns to that venue/city. They immediately refund your money and it's up to the consumer to re-purchase should the performer return. DP should do the same (sans $1,000 preorder deposits). That's more than fair.

To put it bluntly, I've got 99 problems but DP and ARA's issues "ain't" one.

#3669 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Last week Barry confirmed me in person that Jaap is going to TPF so where the cancellation story comes from ??? No idea.

Well then, that's PROOF POSITIVE for me..... Just like it was going to be at Pinball Expo in Chicago last October.

#3670 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well then, that's PROOF POSITIVE for me..... Just like it was going to be at Pinball Expo in Chicago last October.

He wasn't in Chicago cause he had a busted up hand and underwent surgery on it. There were photos of him in hospital on Facebook site. I'm not happy about the situation but I wanted to point out facts.

#3671 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

He wasn't in Chicago cause he had a busted up hand and underwent surgery on it. There were photos of him in hospital on Facebook site. I'm not happy about the situation but I wanted to point out facts.

Interesting that no one from Expo said anything about a medical or injury reason for the seminar cancelation. Again the cancelation was revealed at the last minute.

Did this injury occur in the States? If not, wasn't anyone else available to represent DP?

#3672 7 years ago

I picked up one of the last games from cointaker, played it today I'd be really bummed if I didn't get the game .come on guys work it out

#3673 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Interesting that no one from Expo said anything about a medical or injury reason for the seminar cancelation. Again the cancelation was revealed at the last minute.
Did this injury occur in the States? If not, wasn't anyone else available to represent DP?

Come on man. I fully realize and understand that DP needs to re-earn your trust but this pushing it to hard.

And yes, there were people representing DP. They are called distributor Cointaker.

IMG_1594 (resized).PNGIMG_1594 (resized).PNG

#3674 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It was said weeks before that he couldn't travel.

#3675 7 years ago

From what I've now heard, Rensh's post is broadly representative of what's going on, and indeed there has been significant progress since then on moving forwards.

Guess we'll see if Jaap can say anything publicly at TPF.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3676 7 years ago

Considering MOST of their existing customers will not be at TPF, I'd suggest to DP to schedule an email blast with the same information timed as they take the stage. Otherwise the same complaints that came out of Expo will happen, where non-customers will have more information than those with money and pre-orders on the line.

#3677 7 years ago

What would be nicer is if TPF (and other shows) finally started recording all the seminars and posting them to YouTube immediately .. it's so easy technically and logistically to do these days, and ideally live stream them.

#3678 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What would be nicer is if TPF (and other shows) finally started recording all the seminars and posting them to YouTube immediately .. it's so easy technically and logistically to do these days, and ideally live stream them.

I agree on the ability to watch seminar streams, but preorders shouldn't have to watch a seminar stream (or logon to Pinside) to get an update on their purchase. As Frolic mentioned, DP has a history of informing us AFTER public announcements.

#3679 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think that shows needs to stream immediately, but archiving and sharing shortly afterwards would be awesome.

Seeing speakers in real time is part of the value provided by shows. If fewer people came to shows because they could see all the content online for free, shows would be less motivated to have speakers, especially when some speakers cost the show money one way or another.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#3680 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Seeing speakers in real time is part of the value provided by shows. If fewer people came to shows because they could see all the content online for free, shows would be less motivated to have speakers, especially when some speakers cost the show money one way or another.

It's like saying no one would go to an Apple product launch because it's online for free and no effort.

There is a bit of competing objectives between show organizers (sell tickets to show) and pinball companies (promote and sell their product), but it seems the idea of debuting new products or breaking information to a room of however many people and not consider the greater world outside the doors (Pinside gets what 3000-4000 per day) extremely small thinking and not how to run a successful company.

#3681 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I don't think that shows needs to stream immediately, but archiving and sharing shortly afterwards would be awesome.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

I think it would encourage more people to go. Not recording and archiving content just seems like lack of effort and organisation to me and many others. It doesn't convey a good impression to people who've not attended these shows before.

#3682 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's like saying no one would go to an Apple product launch because it's online for free and no effort.
There is a bit of competing objectives between show organizers (sell tickets to show) and pinball companies (promote and sell their product), but it seems the idea of debuting new products or breaking information to a room of however many people and not consider the greater world outside the doors (Pinside gets what 3000-4000 per day) extremely small thinking and not how to run a successful company.

This analogy doesn't fit. Apple product launches are launching Apple products. These are events primarily for the press. Speakers at pinball shows are primarily for the enjoyment of show patrons.

Now if a pinball company only used pinball shows to announce products or engage with customers, then sure, this is very small thinking on their part.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#3683 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Now if a pinball company only used pinball shows to announce products or engage with customers, then sure, this is very small thinking on their part.

Yeah, I think we're in agreement here and this is what I'm getting at. There seems to be an outdated philosophy with debuting games and news at shows, where all the effort is put into traveling to the show and no consideration to the internet waiting for the news. So we're left with poor cellphone photos and videos, and second hand reports of what was said.

As a Pinside guy who doesn't get to out to shows, I've seen this play out time and time again.

That's why I made my comment with advice for DP, they've already made this mistake before at the last Expo and there was serious negative blow back from their existing customer base and they are at a critical time of managing their customers carefully.

#3684 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yeah, I think we're in agreement here and this is what I'm getting at. There seems to be an outdated philosophy with debuting games and news at shows, where all the effort is put into traveling to the show and no consideration to the internet waiting for the news. So we're left with poor cellphone photos and videos, and second hand reports of what was said.
As a Pinside guy who doesn't get to out to shows, I've seen this play out time and time again.
That's why I made my comment with advice for DP, they've already made this mistake before at the last Expo and there was serious negative blow back from their existing customer base and they are at a critical time of managing their customers carefully.

Right on. For FAST, shows act as a rallying point. Something we assign some certain goals we would like to achieve by, and then spend time with friends, old and new, in person.

There is a level of engagement that you get from a show that you will never get from an online stream, but again, that isn't the point. Information to the masses is important. Which reminds me, I really need to update our website!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#3685 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
FAST Pinball

I don't have the time or or desire to travel to Texas to find out why my fucking Lebowski machine isn't in my fucking house. It's 2017. Stream the fucker so we can all know where our fucking money is!

This is the Lebowski thread...so, if I get banned for saying fuck...well, FUCK!

#3686 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
FAST Pinball

While I agree that shows don't need to live stream, it's neat when they do. We live stream all the speakers at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show and make them available on YouTube later--it's never hurt our attendance, which grows every year. I think the quality of our speakers and streaming and archiving them has helped build our national reputation.

#3687 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

These are events primarily for the press. Speakers at pinball shows are primarily for the enjoyment of show patrons.

Quoted from frolic:

Dutch Pinball have 140+ fully paid customers who have games in limbo at the moment. Honest and direct communication to this very small and captive audience should be their one and only goal. I'm not sure that any pinball show is the right forum for what they need to convey to these people. With nothing but misinformation being fed to them, I am certain that some of them have questioned DP's financial standing. For those, Sending a representative half way around the world to address a tiny fraction of them will probably be viewed nothing more than another waste of funds. An email blast to the customers in limbo followed up with an individual phone or e-mail conversation with those who desire more information seems like a better pathway to direct communication; but that has never been DP's strong suit.

#3688 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

.. and then less reason to goto said show.. and now you know why they are hesitant to do so.

#3689 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Apple Launches are media events - not self-sustaining commercial ventures whose survival relies upon getting people there for revenue and to entice vendors and other sponsors.

#3690 7 years ago

Well as someone who had a preorder lined up and then cancelled it for a refund when the shit hit the fan, I just walked out of Alamo Drafthouse in SF after putting twenty some odd games on it and man I am over the moon impressed. Makes this whole thing that much more depressing and at least I got my money back. Holy hell I want this game more than ever. DP knocked it out of the park. I've watched streams many times but playing it firsthand just confirmed it for me. I guess now I wait till Texas and see what they say...

#3691 7 years ago

140 games paid in full @ $8.5K is some serious cheese. The people with cheese on the line should know well before those who have no cheese in the game IMHO.

#3692 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't have the time or or desire to travel to Texas to find out why my fucking Lebowski machine isn't in my fucking house. It's 2017. Stream the fucker so we can all know where our fucking money is!
This is the Lebowski thread...so, if I get banned for saying fuck...well, FUCK!

Imagine if you did have the time and desire and paid to travel there and paid to attend the show and then DP cancels their "No Shit Seminar"; Talk about feeling fucked in the [censored]...

#3693 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Talk about feeling fucked in the [censored]...

Your censorship policy seems inCONsistent.

#3694 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Imagine if you did have the time and desire and paid to travel there and paid to attend the show and then DP cancels their "No Shit Seminar"; Talk about feeling fucked in the [censored]...

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#3695 7 years ago

I hope nobody is going to TPF for the DP seminar. Hey they'll have hundreds of pins there. That's like buying Playboy for the "articles." Of course now that they don't have naked women anymore maybe you do buy Playboy for the articles.

#3696 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

I hope nobody is going to TPF for the DP seminar. Hey they'll have hundreds of pins there. That's like buying Playboy for the "articles." Of course now that they don't have naked women anymore maybe you do buy Playboy for the articles.

You must not be following along, playboy brought back naked women

#3697 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You must not be following along, playboy brought back naked women

Yeah. My subscription ran out in the 80's.

#3698 7 years ago

What could DP possibly be talking about at the show, other than the TBL fiasco? And if that's all they have to talk about, why not do it through email?? Surely they aren't trying to sell the game to new customers(until everything is straightened out)

#3699 7 years ago

I'm kind of getting burnt out on this whole thing, I'm not enjoying having my game right now(I know boo hoo poor me, I really do feel for those that have money in and nothing to show for it). I'm not playing it much anymore as the code is only a shell of a game still. I have such high expectations and this was a dream theme for me and I love the layout and think it can be a phenomenal game if ever finished but it just isn't fun right now.

Has anyone sold one on here yet that actually had the game in possession, kind of stopped paying attention? Not saying I will sell it but I might consider it strongly without any good news coming out soon or at TPF. Not even sure what it might be worth to anyone to be honest, obviously someone with money in with DP has little interest in paying for another one.

#3700 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I'm kind of getting burnt out on this whole thing, I'm not enjoying having my game right now(I know boo hoo poor me, I really do feel for those that have money in and nothing to show for it). I'm not playing it much anymore as the code is only a shell of a game still. I have such high expectations and this was a dream theme for me and I love the layout and think it can be a phenomenal game if ever finished but it just isn't fun right now.
Has anyone sold one on here yet that actually had the game in possession, kind of stopped paying attention? Not saying I will sell it but I might consider it strongly without any good news coming out soon or at TPF. Not even sure what it might be worth to anyone to be honest, obviously someone with money in with DP has little interest in paying for another one.

You've got 20 games to play and you're sitting around worrying about the code for one of them? Not being patient NEVER pays off. Just hang tight and let the chips fall where they will. Trust me, the value of your game is only going to go up. And those that say it won't, want one, don't own one, and are hoping to get one. Just remember that.

Now go play some pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 210.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 22.50
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 15,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.