(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,280 posts
  • 861 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by Cojua88
  • Topic is favorited by 285 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,280 posts in this topic. You are on page 217 of 306.
#10801 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The only employee on payroll was Koen (the programmer) the rest did the work for a game.

So Barry and Japp weren't drawing salaries either?

#10802 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So Barry and Japp weren't drawing salaries either?

Those two I don’t know, they were owners.
Just the employees

#10803 4 years ago

so, any of you EAs in for the full nice and shiny 20k deal, already got a response from DP?
Acknowledgement, time tables and so forth?

#10804 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I'm betting that we see an EA game made within the first 10 games made...

Quoted from SunKing:
I'll take that bet.

OK.

Super! Will you wager $100? All I require is some proof that just one EA game has been delivered within the first 10 games made from the recent stash of parts - and you have won $100!!

Let's see - I'm guessing he will build about 1....maybe 2 a week - so we will only have to wait until about June 2020 to settle up.

#10805 4 years ago

That's a very good point of course... there were quite a few staff on board during the design phase at least, maybe Barry/Jaap kept them on the payroll longer than they should have done...
We'll probably never get a clear answer to where the money went, but I honestly don't think it was theft... to be honest I think the hype at expo where, as Mr Heck put it, they were "lords of all creation" gave DP an over-secure feeling of invincibility... like they couldn't fail, no matter what... as a consequence they probably spent too much money on all sorts of stuff... the prototypes themselves were, I understand, very expensive to make, not to mention hauling them around the globe... then there was the massive set up cost at ARA which was supposed to be spread across at least 300 games, not 55... or 95, however you look at it... many unexpected delays with possibly a full head of staff draining the finances... Philgate, licencing issues, John Goodman callout issues, getting the music re-made... quite simply I think they underestimated the costs involved and overestimated their ability to ride through these issues..
I believe and hope that Barry has got his wake-up call now, and will proceed with extreme caution from now on...
The game itself is packed with stuff making it also too expensive to make!! I firmly believe Barry is going through everything with a fine-tooth comb this time... I know he is dedicated to seeing this through and not letting the EAs down... despite what others might think...

Just in time, to be too late. Convenient..

#10806 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I wouldn't be totally shocked, DP needs to establish credibility for this project so it may be worth it to Barry to include an EA machine or two in the first shipment to demonstrate that DP does intended to eventually cover everyone.

What do you call a shipment ? something like 30 games in a container ?

#10807 4 years ago
Quoted from MPRAMONE:

I think it is 40.

#10808 4 years ago
Quoted from MPRAMONE:

Sure, I’ve heard 40, although if Barry’s building them on his own he may just ship one by one to try to generate some buzz.

#10809 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:All I require is some proof that just one EA game has been delivered within the first 10 games made from the recent stash of parts - and you have won $100!!
Let's see - I'm guessing he will build about 1....maybe 2 a week - so we will only have to wait until about June 2020 to settle up.

What do you consider to be proof? No sure I agree on your timing calculation there... 10 weeks from now brings us to the end of Nov...

Quoted from Roostking:

Just in time, to be too late. Convenient..

Not sure what that means, but it sounds good!

#10810 4 years ago

I know he isn't but it is fun to think that pinballslave is actually Barry sitting with a laptop surrounded by TBL parts and procrastinating putting the first machine together by commenting here.

#10811 4 years ago

LOL. How dare you, sir!

#10812 4 years ago

So there are 67 weeks between now and the end of 2020. We know the Dutch take an exorbitant amount of vacation so let’s say 60 weeks. He’s got parts to make 200 games supposedly. That’s 3.3 games per week starting next week to meet the goal. That number per week obviously goes up every week. It’s taken Spooky 5 years to ramp up to 10-15 per week.

Can someone explain a viable path forward? Seriously. Not even talking about money. Just simple logistics.

#10813 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So there are 67 weeks between now and the end of 2020. We know the Dutch take an exorbitant amount of vacation so let’s say 60 weeks. He’s got parts to make 200 games supposedly. That’s 3.3 games per week starting next week to meet the goal. That number per week obviously goes up every week. It’s taken Spooky 5 years to ramp up to 10-15 per week.
Can someone explain a viable path forward? Seriously. Not even talking about money. Just simple logistics.

Easy math. He only has parts to make 25-40 games so the pixies and elves will sneak in at night to make the remaining parts and games. Pinball is Easy (money). lol

#10814 4 years ago

Hope he is not selling of the parts aquired from ARA at 12.5K a piece and call it quits.
When I was an EA, that's what would worry me

#10815 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

He’s got parts to make 200 games supposedly.

Says who? On the podcast Barry said DP has most of the parts need to make 25-50 machines (implication is it'll be easy to get the remaining parts, build the cabs, etc.) After that, they're going to need to source parts more seriously.

#10816 4 years ago

One of my fave podcasts just did an episode on the Lebowski pinball machine. It's not a pinball podcast at all, so it was interesting to hear someone outside the pinball orbit attempting to tell the whole story without losing their temper.... https://anchor.fm/never-got-famous/episodes/Walks-with-Albert---The-Big-Beckoning-Lebowski-e5d0it

#10817 4 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I know he isn't but it is fun to think that pinballslave is actually Barry sitting with a laptop surrounded by TBL parts and procrastinating putting the first machine together by commenting here.

How do you know I'm not Barry??

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So there are 67 weeks between now and the end of 2020. We know the Dutch take an exorbitant amount of vacation so let’s say 60 weeks. He’s got parts to make 200 games supposedly. That’s 3.3 games per week starting next week to meet the goal. That number per week obviously goes up every week. It

I feel pretty confident that I... er, I mean Barry, is being very overly optimistic in his estimate of how long this is going to take!

Now... back to building these damn games!

#10818 4 years ago

I feel pretty confident that I... er, I mean Barry, is being very overly optimistic in his estimate of how long this is going to take!
Now... back to building these damn games!

Curious nothing more. In many of your posts you use the words certain, confident, I hear etc. do you actually have a verification you could share with the group or are you simply a wishful consumer with a commitment to sharing optimism? As this basically a How To not run a business story your optimism is interesting or fueled by something you feel is not worthy of sharing to the other investors.

#10819 4 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

One of my fave podcasts just did an episode on the Lebowski pinball machine. It's not a pinball podcast at all, so it was interesting to hear someone outside the pinball orbit attempting to tell the whole story without losing their temper.... https://anchor.fm/never-got-famous/episodes/Walks-with-Albert---The-Big-Beckoning-Lebowski-e5d0it

Thanks! That was ... interesting. He didn't quite get all of his info correct, but he pretty much covered the gist of the matter.

I'm going to forward this link to Kaneda since he seems to be referred to. He supposedly isn't flipping "his" TBL though.

#10820 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Its already been covered, There is no way he could get this done, without a large cash infusion and a contract manufacturer. Short of that, not happening.

#10821 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

do you actually have a verification you could share with the group or are you simply a wishful consumer with a commitment to sharing optimism?

I wouldn't call what I have a verification, but I do get some of my optimism from the horse's mouth as it were... I communicate with Barry and, despite popular belief, get the feeling he's being honest... the other element to my trying to quash negativity is that I want my game. Negativity on here doesn't help that cause, so if I feel it's unfounded I want to speak out because unfounded negativity may have an unfounded detrimental effect on me getting my game... people might be put off buying a game if they take all this negativity to heart, and I know that at this stage of the game, people need to buy games to give Barry the cash to build my EA game...

There must be a proverb that sums that effect up, probably involving Rome... "many mouths maketh a collapsed Rome" perhaps...

#10822 4 years ago

I wouldn't call what I have a verification, but I do get some of my optimism from the horse's mouth as it were... I communicate with Barry and, despite popular belief, get the feeling he's being honest... the other element to my trying to quash negativity is that I want my game. Negativity on here doesn't help that cause, so if I feel it's unfounded I want to speak out because unfounded negativity may have an unfounded detrimental effect on me getting my game... people might be put off buying a game if they take all this negativity to heart, and I know that at this stage of the game, people need to buy games to give Barry the cash to build my EA game...

You're beating around the bush, and it seems about time maybe you let everyone know your connection/relationship with Barry/Dutch Pinball, if there is any.

You're vocal in your support of these parties, which is fine and nice, and you're free to be so. I'm not suggesting you have any conflicts of interests, I assume you don't, in fact... but if you do, let folks know. Cheers!

#10823 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

You're beating around the bush, and it seems about time maybe you let everyone know your connection/relationship with Barry/Dutch Pinball, if there is any.

I already shared my connection with Barry many posts back... he's got a lot of my money and I want him to make a game for it and then give it to me... that's really as deep as it goes...

#10824 4 years ago

I already shared my connection with Barry many posts back... he's got a lot of my money and I want him to make a game for it and then give it to me... that's as deep as it goes...

That's cool. You did literally just make a "who says I'm not Barry" joke... so pardon me asking for clarification. I hope for you and all EAs that a good resolution to all this will happen

#10825 4 years ago

This fecking guy!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84697

"Medical issues?"
I'll take the moderation punishment:
This guy is a turd.

#10826 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

This fecking guy!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84697
"Medical issues?"
I'll take the moderation punishment:
This guy is a turd.

He already elaborated elsewhere -- he's essentially having to pay for medical care for his inlaws unexpectedly. He's also been putting up his cars for sale..

That's not just flipping TBL... and his cars make a TBL look like a used napkin.

Its undude like to just jump to assuming he's trying to take advantage of the moment.

#10828 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:Deleted post

so, by your logic he should sell TBL for say $9K and then foot all of the additional costs for medical expenses that he's attempting to help with simply so that you (or some other buyer) gets the pin at what you consider a reasonable price?

#10829 4 years ago

#10830 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

His profit won’t go far for extended care. So why not do some good here?

Are you seriously, with a straight face, saying that it'd be more noble for him to put a few grand in the pocket of someone that could afford to put down an $8,500 payment on a pinball machine than to use that money to help out a relation in need of medical treatment?

#10831 4 years ago

#10832 4 years ago

As altruistic as your recommendation appears, it is difficult for me to understand how you insist someone is taking advantage by not sharing the losses with the EA. The responsibility of those losses rests solely with the EAs (and Dutch too, but prepaying is always a risk). They took a risk and lost a lot. You can't expect someone who is selling at current market value to essentially share the loss with the EAs. How is that altruistic to ask of someone trying to support a family member with medical issues?

#10833 4 years ago

#10834 4 years ago

A 'fair price' is a term relative to what the market for the title is.. which he is doing.

What anyone managed to pay for something is immaterial to 'what is fair'.

#10835 4 years ago

Fair to me is less, much less. But anyhow, I wish the best for his situation.

#10836 4 years ago

Found the snowflake!

#10837 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Found the snowflake!

He's no snowflake, he's hard-core! To hell with your mother-in-law, profits are to be distributed only to your fellow hobbyists.

#10838 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He's no snowflake, he's hard-core! To hell with your mother-in-law, profits are to be distributed only to your fellow hobbyists.

Ok, whatever. I hope he gets the money that he needs for his family.

#10839 4 years ago

Everyone here seems to have strange views on morals of selling assets as fair market value.
Curious if anyone sees 1) a difference between the following examples and 2) if any are more or less moral:

A) Bill owns a grocery store and sells, among other things, peanut butter. The global price of peanut butter went up 20% recently, Bill's supplier increased Bill's price by 20% and Bill subsequently raised the price he charges for peanut butter by 20% to his customers.

B) After the price of peanut butter went up 20%, Bill found he had an extra pallet of peanut butter in the store room that he didn't know about. He continues to sell peanut butter at the new 20% higher price even though the product he is selling was purchased cheaper

C) Bill invests some extra money in the stock market, ForEx, and sometimes speculates on grocery prices. Suspecting prices of peanut butter would rise, he had purchased an extra pallet of peanut butter prior to the price increasing 20% and now that the price has gone up, he starts selling that peanut butter investment at the new 20% higher price.

#10840 4 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

Everyone here seems to have strange views on morals of selling assets as fair market value.
Curious if anyone sees 1) a difference between the following examples and 2) if any are more or less moral:
A) Bill owns a grocery store and sells, among other things, peanut butter. The global price of peanut butter went up 20% recently, Bill's supplier increased Bill's price by 20% and Bill subsequently raised the price he charges for peanut butter by 20% to his customers.
B) After the price of peanut butter went up 20%, Bill found he had an extra pallet of peanut butter in the store room that he didn't know about. He continues to sell peanut butter at the new 20% higher price even though the product he is selling was purchased cheaper
C) Bill invests some extra money in the stock market, ForEx, and sometimes speculates on grocery prices. Suspecting prices of peanut butter would rise, he had purchased an extra pallet of peanut butter prior to the price increasing 20% and now that the price has gone up, he starts selling that peanut butter investment at the new 20% higher price.

Did the supplier sell Bill peanut butter that John had already paid for?

#10841 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

OK that there is F'n funny. Thank you for that!!!

#10842 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Even here, if you're going to be angry with the supplier, that's fine... but getting mad at Bill for selling peanut butter he owns at fair market value? Bill's doing nothing wrong

#10843 4 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

Even here, if you're going to be angry with the supplier, that's fine... but getting mad at Bill for selling peanut butter he owns at fair market value? Bill's doing nothing wrong

I agree. I don't fault the seller. Just making a joke about crooked suppliers.

#10844 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Its undude like to just jump to assuming he's trying to take advantage of the moment.

Right. And how about this?

Quoted from VividPsychosis:

EA’s had the same shot as anyone else to get one of the 40. They had to call cointaker when the news broke and say. I have 12.5k for a game. I’ll take one.

And this?

Quoted from VividPsychosis:

EA’s invested in a company with the promise of a game. They didn’t purchase a game directly. The investment proved to be a poor one and they got robbed by DP. These games being sold are owned by ARA and not DP. I don’t know how many times that needs to be said for EA’s to get it.

#10845 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Right. And how about this?

What.. proof that he wanted to buy a game? What's your point caller?

Do you have no comprehension of the reality that situations change as time go on?

Just drop it dude.. it makes you look like a douche.

#10846 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What.. proof that he wanted to buy a game? What's your point caller?
Do you have no comprehension of the reality that situations change as time go on?
Just drop it dude.. it makes you look like a douche.

Were you ever an EA?

#10847 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Found the snowflake!

Ah, Pinside, where grown men can hide behind their keyboards and act like 12 year bullies. Snowflake? Whatever, dude.

#10848 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Were you ever an EA?

Does that give you a 'free to be a dick' card or something?

The 'you have to be an EA' to have an opinion is a dead horse.. and here it's not even an opinion on TBL or DP.. it's about simple human behavior. A guy is liquidating alot of his life to deal with caring for his parents... and you have the nerve to suggest he should sell under market value just to appease some other people who got screwed by Barry?

Get over yourself man. It's a game. Stop letting it turn you into something horrible.

#10849 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He already elaborated elsewhere -- he's essentially having to pay for medical care for his inlaws unexpectedly. He's also been putting up his cars for sale..
That's not just flipping TBL... and his cars make a TBL look like a used napkin.

He was such a douche earlier, now hes a saint? If he had real bills, he would ask for the same amount of $$$ that he paid for it just to get it sold, to pay "medical bills". Hes not. Karma for being such a douche previously?...

#10850 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Does that give you a 'free to be a dick' card or something?
The 'you have to be an EA' to have an opinion is a dead horse.. and here it's not even an opinion on TBL or DP.. it's about simple human behavior. A guy is liquidating alot of his life to deal with caring for his parents... and you have the nerve to suggest he should sell under market value just to appease some other people who got screwed by Barry?
Get over yourself man. It's a game. Stop letting it turn you into something horrible.

C'mon Steve. You have a lot nerve calling anyone a douche. Enough with that authoritative tough guy act. Let's keep it real!

A few weeks ago, this guy came out of nowhere into this preorder thread and boldly stated that EAs "invested" in DP and that their "investment" was a poor one. Now THAT is being a douche. I'd have some empathy if he hadn't made those insulting statements or at least apologized and deleted his comments.
He gets his game and "suddenly" has medical bills. It sounds like he may have been living beyond his means. Funny how he had the nerve to tell EAs how they should have spent THEIR money, yet without EA money, this guy wouldn't have a $21,000 TBL listed for sale right now.

It's all about optics and I have every right to voice an opinion, just as you and others do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 210.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 15,280 posts in this topic. You are on page 217 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/217?hl=calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.