(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,259 posts
  • 857 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 286 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4073 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240124_181831_Facebook (resized).jpg
PXL_20240123_045035517.MP (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 306.
#8801 4 years ago

Hiding an $8500 loss from the wife, to me, is like Playing Russian roulette every morning for the next 20 years wondering just when will she figure it out... even if there is no chance she ever would. But that kind of husbandly f.u. would put me in mortal danger of loosing a bodypart in my sleep, so Little BH would be squealing on me in fear of his life...

2 weeks later
#8802 4 years ago

An update from Barry and Jaap would be appreciated.

#8803 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

Good luck with that. An update would be a Completely new trend from that group

#8804 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

Maybe when they come off another vacation they can fill us full of more bullshit?

#8805 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

Where were things at the time of the last update? DP is broke, and the only chance of them making more TBLs is if they win the lawsuit and then get the Chinese manufacturer to produce games for them on credit. We know the lawsuit hasn't resolved yet, so I doubt there's much for DP to report.

#8806 4 years ago

The judge was going to issue his verdict on May 15th.

#8807 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Where were things at the time of the last update? DP is broke, and the only chance of them making more TBLs is if they win the lawsuit and then get the Chinese manufacturer to produce games for them on credit. We know the lawsuit hasn't resolved yet, so I doubt there's much for DP to report.

I think there are more options than that, since there are 40 machines sleeping in a warehouse. I hope (and doubt), that there is a chance for more to be produced, but this leaves a window for some EAs to receive what they paid for.

#8808 4 years ago

Played this machine a ton at GSPF, what a blast.

I can see why guys pre-paid for it. The audio is wonderful.

It mostly worked, better than any Zachariah ( - :

#8809 4 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Played this machine a ton at GSPF, what a blast.
I can see why guys pre-paid for it. The audio is wonderful.
It mostly worked, better than any Zachariah ( - :

Yeah really good use of movie assets too. A damned shame. I wish I'd bought the NIB one that was around a few months ago.

#8810 4 years ago

Are we ready to admit this is as dead and illegitimate as Andrew Heighway and Skit-B? The only difference here is the victims have yet to legally pursue a rightful judgment against these guys. Why are they allowed to remain silent as though there is any hope? Why is there no rationalization of the obvious demise of this project? How much longer are victims willing to wait? And what happens at that point in time?

#8811 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Good luck with that. An update would be a Completely new trend from that group

C'mon now. It has only been 6 months since DP's last communication to us EAs.

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

... The only difference here is the victims have yet to legally pursue a rightful judgment against these guys. Why are they allowed to remain silent as though there is any hope? Why is there no rationalization of the obvious demise of this project? How much longer are victims willing to wait? ...

We've all secretly received our games. Shhhhhhhh ...

#8812 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Are we ready to admit this is as dead and illegitimate as Andrew Heighway and Skit-B? The only difference here is the victims have yet to legally pursue a rightful judgment against these guys. Why are they allowed to remain silent as though there is any hope? Why is there no rationalization of the obvious demise of this project? How much longer are victims willing to wait? And what happens at that point in time?

I'm guessing the logistics of dealing with these jokers overseas.

#8813 4 years ago

Lebowski will be a Case Study for lawyers in the near future, where the primary Market originates from a foreign Country (USA) with substantial losses yet no active litigation.
Be the fly in the ointment, legally challenge before the time runs out.

#8814 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Lebowski will be a Case Study for lawyers in the near future, where the primary Market originates from a foreign Country (USA) with substantial losses yet no active litigation.
Be the fly in the ointment, legally challenge before the time runs out.

As a lawyer (who for the record did not buy in and who is NOT providing legal advice in this post) it isn’t a case study in my opinion. It is a situation where a company that took a bunch of deposits went (essentially but I don’t think officially) bankrupt. People often don’t pursue cases like this. Throwing good money after bad so to speak. EAs would be at the bottom of the food chain to collect money in the US. I suspect Dutch law is similar (but I don’t know). Blood does not come out of stones no matter how many lawyers you give swords to.

A lot of people have a lot of opinions here on what should happen. The law is different... and the reality is that the current proceedings haven’t been published anywhere that I’m aware of so (like everyone else) I’m just making my best guess at the situation given all the circumstances.

I would suggest that we shouldn’t all be so quick to tell the EAs what to do. Or criticize their “inaction”. I suspect many have researched and maneuvered behind the scenes to preserve rights if it makes sense.

This entire thing is sad for those that lost money and sad for the community that loves pinball because it looks like a great game.

#8815 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah really good use of movie assets too. A damned shame. I wish I'd bought the NIB one that was around a few months ago.

I'm glad I've never considered it, in the back of your mind you would know you had to sell it someday which would be sad.

#8816 4 years ago

Does anyone here have a personal relationship with Roger Sharpe? Another thing I've been discussing with a lawyer is if the Judge rules in favor of ARA and for some reason they think they can sell/auction the machines we quickly go after that breach.

I am willing to do whatever necessary to forcefully (legally) stop ARA's ability to infringe on Universal's license, they are not authorized to sell these. I'd think we'd have a road forward putting both Universal & ARA on notice. Getting Universal on board would be best. I'm still waiting for Barry & Jaap to do the right thing but otherwise we need to force the hand. While a class auction lawsuit against DP might not be fruitful, ARA and Universal have much more to protect, and deeper pockets. I'd think with the help of an expert and Universal we could figure this out.

Every day that goes by at this point is scary. Please reach out to us Barry & Jaap...

#8817 4 years ago

i received a pic of barry and japp........needless to say, they did not receive the money

rs-18507-lebowski-1800-1391374703 (resized).jpgrs-18507-lebowski-1800-1391374703 (resized).jpg
#8818 4 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Just saw this, is it a one-off or produced in some numbers? It does have flippers...
[quoted image]

I feel like there was a missed opportunity to call it The Big Lebowlski

#8819 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

i received a pic of barry and japp........needless to say, they did not receive the money[quoted image]

No, man, nothing is fucked here!

#8820 4 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

EAs would be at the bottom of the food chain to collect money in the US.

They already are. Can't go lower. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I would rather use an Attorney that is optimistic when versus Goliath. Not "Just take your club to the head Son".

#8821 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

They already are. Can't go lower. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I would rather use an Attorney that is optimistic when versus Goliath. Not "Just take your club to the head Son".

Make the attorney take the case completely contingent on recovering and see how optimistic he or she is. Offer them 2x their rates if successful and see if they take the deal.

#8822 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

Does anyone here have a personal relationship with Roger Sharpe? Another thing I've been discussing with a lawyer is if the Judge rules in favor of ARA and for some reason they think they can sell/auction the machines we quickly go after that breach.
I am willing to do whatever necessary to forcefully (legally) stop ARA's ability to infringe on Universal's license, they are not authorized to sell these. I'd think we'd have a road forward putting both Universal & ARA on notice. Getting Universal on board would be best. I'm still waiting for Barry & Jaap to do the right thing but otherwise we need to force the hand. While a class auction lawsuit against DP might not be fruitful, ARA and Universal have much more to protect, and deeper pockets. I'd think with the help of an expert and Universal we could figure this out.
Every day that goes by at this point is scary. Please reach out to us Barry & Jaap...

I haven’t read the license agreement and I’m not sure if you have but I’m willing to bet reselling games manufactured under license that was paid for (if it was paid for) doesn’t violate Universal’s rights. It would be no different than me reselling the GB machine I have in my basement.

Remember your contract is with DP. How that gets to you to a claim against ARA or Universal isn’t clear to me...

When you say “go after that breach” in your second sentence what breach are you referring to?

To put it more simply - if you pay your local grocery store $5 for milk to be delivered and they take your money you can’t sue the dairy farmer... even if the farmer is physically holding your milk. Your complaint is with the person who took your money and failed to deliver.

#8823 4 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I haven’t read the license agreement and I’m not sure if you have but I’m willing to bet reselling games manufactured under license that was paid for (if it was paid for) doesn’t violate Universal’s rights. It would be no different than me reselling the GB machine I have in my basement.
Remember your contract is with DP. How that gets to you to a claim against ARA or Universal isn’t clear to me...
When you say “go after that breach” in your second sentence what breach are you referring to?
To put it more simply - if you pay your local grocery store $5 for milk to be delivered and they take your money you can’t sue the dairy farmer... even if the farmer is physically holding your milk. Your complaint is with the person who took your money and failed to deliver.

And at this point you would have better luck getting a TBL from a dairy farmer than DP! Lol

#8824 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

If ARA wins and DP can't or won't contest, and the court allows them to liquidate assets, then there's nothing you can do to stop them, subject to Universal not disapproving. The machines are categorically not EAs' property. They would either be sold to the highest bidders or destroyed. You can't 'force' anything.

If that happens and it's the end of the line for TBL, what EAs might perhaps be able to do is broker a deal whereby Universal grants release for sale, and they (interested EAs) pay full price of machine to ARA, or something similar, and have first refusal before anyone else.

That's the best you can hope for if ARA wins and DP kick the bucket. The chance to fight over the small number of built games, with the proviso that you pay again.

#8825 4 years ago

The war is over Mr. Lebowski, the bums lost... time for all of us to move on..

#8826 4 years ago

If DP had anything good to say, they would have already multiplied it by 100, doubled it, marked it up by 50% and then said it. They have zero good news to report.

#8827 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

If DP had anything good to say, they would have already multiplied it by 100, doubled it, marked it up by 50% and then said it. They have zero good news to report.

As much as I hate to say it, you’re right. This has been their MO since day one.

#8828 4 years ago

I was told to "be a Dude" when I demanded a refund.

Imagine what would happen if you said something like that to Whitey Bulger, Pablo Escobar, or Al Capone.
"DP" would stand for Dickless Pinball.

#8829 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

I was told to "be a Dude" when I demanded a refund.
Imagine what would happen if you said something like that to Whitey Bulger, Pablo Escobar, or Al Capone.
"DP" would stand for Dickless Pinball.

Definitely not a dude move, more of a Walter and his ringer move. But hindsight being 20/20, it’s looking more and more like you made the right call. I hope I am wrong. I’ve tried to be supportive and understanding of the situation Barry and Japp are in, but I’m coming to believe that I don’t think they have all us EA’s best interests in mind anymore.

#8830 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

.. but I’m coming to believe that I don’t think they have all us EA’s best interests in mind anymore.

and it only took 8828 posts to figure it out oh well, I peeked under the waters surface in 2017 and saw DP was an iceberg, and knew EA’s were sunk. Be 2018 no money remained, yet DP owed money all over town - Jackie Treehorn style. These are bad businessmen so one should be leery of them and remain very aware. Approach with caution but better yet, avoid this pair like the plague.

#8831 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

and it only took 8828 posts to figure it out

10,000 by Christmas

#8832 4 years ago

I'm guessing at this point it would make sense to get my $1000 deposit back from cointaker. I've left it with them just in case.

#8833 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Jackie Treehorn style.

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.

#8834 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

I will go ahead and write the next update for Barry, I know he has been busy.

Dudes - sometimes the bear eats you and by you I don't mean us, I mean you. Your money is all gone and you are not getting a TBL. We are so so very sorry. We did our best and did everything 100% right. Despite our best efforts (which rocked - remember the parties?!) ARA screwed us, but also you. Mainly you.

If only we had more money, we might have been able to prevail in court, but alas, ARA outspent us and the judge (who doesn't understand pinball or contracts or genius) did not see it our way. We could give you the details, but our attorney said don't. He seemed emphatic on this point. Something like "Never tell anyone any of the details unless you want to get sued by all the customers you screwed, you chuckleheads!". That made sense to us, so no details!!

We tried EVERYTHING to get this done and all of our efforts (which were always awesome) were subverted by others. We really felt guilty living off the achievers (your) money for so many years, but what else could we do? Gotta feed the monkey!! If only ARA would have built the BOP25s!! ARA would not see the truth and sunk the project. ARA hates you and hates pinball. Probably hates us too, who knows?

We will be looking for other ways to continue the project - angel investors, BOP30s, lottery tickets, BOP35s, wishful thinking, BOP40s, marrying very old millionaires - whatever it takes! We love pinball so much and hate to let you down - we will never rest until this is over!

Try not to worry about us, we will be fine. We will each retain a TBL at home for, uh, research purposes as we continue to pursue our dream. By the way - we have started selling BOP kits again! Early Achievers can get 10% off BOP kits (limit one please). Just type in the code HAHAHAHADP at checkout!!

Sincerely,

Barry and Jaap

#8835 4 years ago

Again, I would love to know what a typical day is for these two guys. What has been going on during this downtime?

Have they been binge watching old episodes of Benny Hill? Did they become Uber drivers? Have they been building and painting model trains?
Did they beat Red Dead Redemption 2? Are they knitting quilts? Learning new languages? Riding their bikes around The Netherlands like Laverne & Shirley? Are they ripped from Cross-Fit? Did they start a new business in another hobby? Are they holed up like Howard Hughes?

#8836 4 years ago
Quoted from Kj_gameroom:

I'm guessing at this point it would make sense to get my $1000 deposit back from cointaker. I've left it with them just in case.

Wonder how many still have deposits with CT?

#8837 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Dudes - sometimes the bear eats you and by you I don't mean us, I mean you. Your money is all gone and you are not getting a TBL. We are so so very sorry. We did our best and did everything 100% right. Despite our best efforts (which rocked - remember the parties?!) ARA screwed us, but also you. Mainly you.
If only we had more money, we might have been able to prevail in court, but alas, ARA outspent us and the judge (who doesn't understand pinball or contracts or genius) did not see it our way. We could give you the details, but our attorney said don't. He seemed emphatic on this point. Something like "Never tell anyone any of the details unless you want to get sued by all the customers you screwed, you chuckleheads!". That made sense to us, so no details!!
We tried EVERYTHING to get this done and all of our efforts (which were always awesome) were subverted by others. We really felt guilty living off the achievers (your) money for so many years, but what else could we do? Gotta feed the monkey!! If only ARA would have built the BOP25s!! ARA would not see the truth and sunk the project. ARA hates you and hates pinball. Probably hates us too, who knows?
We will be looking for other ways to continue the project - angel investors, BOP30s, lottery tickets, BOP35s, wishful thinking, BOP40s, marrying very old millionaires - whatever it takes! We love pinball so much and hate to let you down - we will never rest until this is over!
Try not to worry about us, we will be fine. We will each retain a TBL at home for, uh, research purposes as we continue to pursue our dream. By the way - we have started selling BOP kits again! Early Achievers can get 10% off BOP kits (limit one please). Just type in the code HAHAHAHADP at checkout!!
Sincerely,
Barry and Jaap

Loved it RTR Did they say anything about the 40 hostage games? If it was all one big dream and there are no crated games, I’d like to know right now. Their code doesn’t work but I found one that does and it only costs 1% #ARA_DeepRooted_DP_EAs_Barry&Japp_were_Real_Victims

#8838 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Sincerely,
Barry and Jaap

Don't forget, one of them had such a bad cold, that they could not write a newsletter, while in bed.

#8839 4 years ago

Written to be funny, but the next update will include at least 5 of the following:

We did our best, it was all ARA's fault, things were out of our control, we did nothing wrong, we disagree with the judge's decision, we had a good plan, we are sorry that ARA did this to you, we have no money and that is ARA's fault also, we are pursuing other avenues, blah blah.

#8840 4 years ago

DP treats cash grabs like EAs, man.

#8841 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Again, I would love to know what a typical day is for these two guys. What has been going on during this downtime?
Have they been binge watching old episodes of Benny Hill? Did they become Uber drivers? Have they been building and painting model trains?
Did they beat Red Dead Redemption 2? Are they knitting quilts? Learning new languages? Riding their bikes around The Netherlands like Laverne & Shirley? Are they ripped from Cross-Fit? Did they start a new business in another hobby? Are they holed up like Howard Hughes?

They're out looking for Vid.

#8842 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Written to be funny, but the next update will include at least 5 of the following:
We did our best, it was all ARA's fault, things were out of our control, we did nothing wrong, we disagree with the judge's decision, we had a good plan, we are sorry that ARA did this to you, we have no money and that is ARA's fault also, we are pursuing other avenues, blah blah.

Sadly funny but more than likely fact.

#8843 4 years ago

I'm still willing to pay $1000 U.S for a spot that someone payed in full for, under unit #80 of course.. 40 out, 40 waiting I think... A billion to one chance, but hey..I don't mind giving $1000 back to someone that lost $8500. plus tax. That sucks the big one.

#8844 4 years ago

PM's received, had a smooth transaction...Thank you.
looks like I'm in on the wait and hope list too.
Also have a buddy willing to risk $1000 if anyone else is interested.
Cheers!

#8845 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

I'm still willing to pay $1000 U.S for a spot that someone payed in full for, under unit #80 of course.. 40 out, 40 waiting I think... A billion to one chance, but hey..I don't mind giving $1000 back to someone that lost $8500. plus tax. That sucks the big one.

Quoted from Lamberger:

Cheers!

If anyone else wants to bail on their spot PM me, I would roll the dice and do the same as Lamberger.. I already got burned by JPOP on RAZA so what's another $1000

#8846 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Cheers!

#metoo

#8847 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

looks like I'm in on the wait and hope list too. ...

Welcome! More like wait and pray at this point given DP's ongoing (7 months and counting) total silence.

#8848 4 years ago

Some people lol. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I can't believe people think this game, in its current form, will ever be produced. Good luck though, I'm hoping they get the games.

#8849 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Cheers!

So, let me make sure I am understanding this properly...

- Original purchaser paid full price, got nothing
- You're offering original purchaser $1000 for his/her slot
- If the games ever DO materialize, you get a $1000 Big Lebowski
- OP gets $1000 and cuts his losses

If that is what is going down, I might be persuaded to buy a slot myself. I am curious to know the details on how the slot changes hands though. What happens if the games ship and the OP decides to keep the slot after all, for example?

#8850 4 years ago

Hmmm...I suppose the OP would get his game plus your 1K, which would lead to an additional post in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-are-there-so-many-sleezy-people-in-this-hobby

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 210.00
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 15,259 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/177?hl=highwaystarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.