(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,275 posts
  • 860 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Vimtoman
  • Topic is favorited by 284 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6601 (resized).png
20240415_105155 (resized).jpg
20240415_104804 (resized).jpg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 306.
#8501 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Project is dead. They heave been out of money for years, Now they are being sued by their contract manufacturer for non payment. Case went to court 1 month ago. Even if they win they have no money to fulfill the 100 or so units that have already been paid for at 8500 each.

What if ARA gets all the rights back, the license deal, the stock and can actually resume production ? The machine works, the code is good, it's far more advanced than all the JPop stuff and totally ready for mass production. So the R&D costs can be kept to minimal and investment can be made towards selling units. 100 prepaid isn't that much compared to the current sales potential of this machine so it could be absorbed as a loss by ARA.

I don't know how it works in The Netherlands but in France for exemple a bankrupt business can be bought for 1€, debt can be negociated as long as jobs are kept and that a valid business plan is presented to the judges.

Anyways 6 weeks from now, is almost tomorrow, so I'll definitely keep an eye on that lawsuit and cross all that crosses.

#8502 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

What if ARA gets all the rights back, the license deal, the stock and can actually resume production ? The machine works, the code is good, it's far more advanced than all the JPop stuff and totally ready for mass production. So the R&D costs can be kept to minimal and investment can be made towards selling units. 100 prepaid isn't that much compared to the current sales potential of this machine so it could be absorbed as a loss by ARA.
I don't know how it works in The Netherlands but in France for exemple a bankrupt business can be bought for 1€, debt can be negociated as long as jobs are kept and that a valid business plan is presented to the judges.
Anyways 6 weeks from now, is almost tomorrow, so I'll definitely keep an eye on that lawsuit and cross all that crosses.

Absorb an 850,000 loss before starting? Don't think they would consider that business plan.

#8503 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Absorb an 850,000 loss before starting? Don't think they would consider that business plan.

850.000 includes the profit margin, the real cost to absorb is the production cost since buyers expect a machine not a refund. It seems that some machines were boxed and ready to ship, something like 30 to 40 of them. Also from what I understand not all the 100 people paid a full price some made a partial deposit.

So that number could be much lower, maybe in the 400,000, which is realistic compared to the R&D costs attached to designing a new pinball from scratch.

#8504 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

850.000 includes the profit margin, the real cost to absorb is the production cost since buyers expect a machine not a refund. It seems that some machines were boxed and ready to ship, something like 30 to 40 of them. Also from what I understand not all the 100 people paid a full price some made a partial deposit.
So that number could be much lower, maybe in the 400,000, which is realistic compared to the R&D costs attached to designing a new pinball from scratch.

Seems like a loosing debate but I do not follow your logic. The money is gone so the 100 machines Paid and Owed will need to come out of someones pocket. There is no profit in an IOU.

#8505 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like a loosing debate but I do not follow your logic. The money is gone so the 100 machines Paid and Owed will need to come out of someones pocket. There is no profit in an IOU.

I agree with you there is no debate there, the money for the 100 machines is gone, delivering these 100 will be a loss. All I am saying is that the loss won't be 850.000 but a smaller number.

#8506 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I agree with you there is no debate there, the money for the 100 machines is gone, delivering these 100 will be a loss. All I am saying is that the loss won't be 850.000 but a smaller number.

The cost to produce at ARA was around 6500 each including license . Then you have to get them to the customers around the world and pay import taxes and shipping. After that there was never going to be a big profit on this game.

#8507 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

The cost to produce at ARA was around 6500 each including license . Then you have to get them to the customers around the world and pay import taxes and shipping. After that there was never going to be a big profit on this game.

6500 for an 8500 public price ??? Even worse if 6500 is € and 8500 is $. No wonder that adventure ended up the way it did. There is no way to build a sustainable business with margins this thin.

#8508 5 years ago

Those are the numbers given to me by a former employee

#8509 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

6500 for an 8500 public price ??? Even worse if 6500 is € and 8500 is $. No wonder that adventure ended up the way it did. There is no way to build a sustainable business with margins this thin.

Or with business people who have no idea how to run a business! Or answer emails when in bed with the sniffles!

#8510 5 years ago

Just curious, are there really 40 machines in a warehouse? If so, what will happen to them?

#8511 5 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Just curious, are there really 40 machines in a warehouse? If so, what will happen to them?

I think every imaginative senario was covered in the 171 pages of this thread. None great for EA's

#8512 5 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

That seems to be the prevailing #, give or take. Most likely destroyed would be my guess after all litigation is over.

#8513 5 years ago

Since Dutch can’t pay for the built ones hopefully ARA gets the go ahead to sell them so at least more get out into the market ‍♂️

#8514 5 years ago

ARA would have to negotiate a deal with universal before they could do anything but destroy those games. let's see how it plays out, sounds like will know more soon enough.

#8515 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

ARA would have to negotiate a deal with universal before they could do anything but destroy those games. let's see how it plays out, sounds like will know more soon enough.

I’m sure they could figure that out before resorting to destruction.

#8516 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Let’s hope so.

#8517 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While few Big Lebowski's made it to lucky owners they still deserve so love and support. We were contacted by a collector to create and Improve a common issue of the lower playfield pins cracking due to a weak design and plastic not correct for the application. So we took on the challenge and redesigned the part using a proper high impact Nylon and significantly increased the support. The support now fully covers the full rear of the pin and all other elements including the holes are beefed up! Air brushed detail to complete the stock look and we have Working bowling alleys again!! Sold individually for replacement or as a complete set. Not sure how long or how many we will make but a back up plan is always nice. Plus the Pins really bring the alley together nicely!! We are Honored to be part of your Amazing collections. The Dude Abides! Available NOW from our website store!
www.TheModCouplePinball.com
Thanks for your support and interest
The Mod Couple
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These are high quality and very durable. Well done Yelobird. Great to have as a backup.

#8518 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

TBL pinball has reached the sought after ultra rare grade, not sure Universal would want to revert that now that the legend is built.

But still crossing fingers !

#8519 5 years ago

ARA isnt the pinball business, much less tech support for TBL issues.

#8520 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

ARA isnt the pinball business, much less tech support for TBL issues.

Umm I’m just hoping these games get released for sale so they can be scooped up like Alien games were. Dutch is as dead as Heighway.

#8521 5 years ago

I was in Portland this weekend - last year I played TBL @ Quarterworld. This year it was gone, but they were playing the movie on their projector screen lol.

#8522 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Umm I’m just hoping these games get released for sale so they can be scooped up like Alien games were. Dutch is as dead as Heighway.

Those games are already paid for by Early Achivers(but not by DP). I can't imagine the double slap in the face if they get resold.

#8523 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was in Portland this weekend - last year I played TBL @ Quarterworld. This year it was gone, but they were playing the movie on their projector screen lol.

Rare
Did you play Seabeatles at q world?

#8524 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Rare

What about BeaWitched!

#8525 5 years ago

Wonder why no one is mentioning the fact that the rights might be purchasable by another company? If dutch is bankrupt their assets go up for sale. If someone buy's the rights they can make the game without the need for the R&D. Now, the license with universal may transfer or it might have to be repurchased, but this seems more likely than a bankrupt dutch finding a new manufacturer and the funds to build more themselves.

#8526 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Rare

Quoted from Roostking:

What about BeaWitched!

LOLOL. Yeah I played it there & at C-Bar, too. You could hear it at C-Bar, so that was the better experience if you’re in Portland & wanna check it out.

It was what I expected. Not my type of game.

#8527 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOLOL. Yeah I played it there & at C-Bar, too. You could hear it at C-Bar, so that was the better experience if you’re in Portland & wanna check it out.
It was what I expected. Not my type of game.

Great, love C-bar - going to have to make a trip North to check it out. I have a Seawitch & am really interested to see how it compares. The spinning disc in the center looks irritating though.

#8528 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Wonder why no one is mentioning the fact that the rights might be purchasable by another company? If dutch is bankrupt their assets go up for sale. If someone buy's the rights they can make the game without the need for the R&D. Now, the license with universal may transfer or it might have to be repurchased, but this seems more likely than a bankrupt dutch finding a new manufacturer and the funds to build more themselves.

It's been mentioned multiple times over the last couple of years. Start at page 1, it's a ride that hopefully ends well.

#8529 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Since Dutch can’t pay for the built ones hopefully ARA gets the go ahead to sell them so at least more get out into the market ‍♂️

Vultures (resized).jpgVultures (resized).jpg

#8530 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Probably not, most licenses have time limits.

#8531 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I would guess that licenses with seasoned players like Universal are also non-transferable (without the licensor’s permission). What you’d probably need to do is buy the design, software, etc. from DP and then get Universal to separately sell you the license to make more.

#8532 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Quoted from fosaisu:

I would guess that licenses with seasoned players like Universal are also non-transferable (without the licensor’s permission). What you’d probably need to do is buy the design, software, etc. from DP and then get Universal to separately sell you the license to make more.

This is the least of anyone's worries and easily overcome a if a real pinball company or investor swooped in and purchased the DP assets. Roger Sharpe has intervened and "Ball Saved" this license at least once, if not twice, on DP's behalf.

#8533 5 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

This is the least of anyone's worries and easily overcome a if a real pinball company or investor swooped in and purchased the DP assets. Roger Sharpe has intervened and "Ball Saved" this license at least once, if not twice, on DP's behalf.

There’s definitely potential there, and if DP goes into bankruptcy maybe you can scoop up their part of the rights for cheap at an auction. The rest just depends on if Universal is still willing to play or if they don’t want their property associated with this mess for the peanuts that a pinball license brings in. I’m sure they’ve seen it all though, and they do like money.

#8534 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

There’s definitely potential there, and if DP goes into bankruptcy maybe you can scoop up their part of the rights for cheap at an auction. The rest just depends on if Universal is still willing to play or if they don’t want their property associated with this mess for the peanuts that a pinball license brings in. I’m sure they’ve seen it all though, and they do like money.

In the instance someone buys Dutch Pinball and successfully licenses TBL from Universal (big if’s) … they could build and sell TBLs. They would not have rights to the 40 built games nor would they be compensating EA’s who’ve lost money. They would be starting with a clean balance sheet (minus liability for their original investment and licensing deal). Still it’s not an easy task to run a pinball company and without expertise to manufacture the games, they too might flail in the wind and burn through cash.

The best outcome would include the new owner negotiating separately with ARA to buy the 40 built games at discounted $5k (each would need to be opened, inspected, tested, repaired, boxed and shipped to their warehouse) and to sell them for $10k. If ARA is owed money on the built pins and DP doesn't pay, they won't be willing to sell their games to the new Owner. The Owners should also negotiate with American Pinball to build TBL’s. Someone with an existing factory who will contract manufacture a few hundred pinball machines. Don't build a new factory - that is a total waste of money unless they expected to sell thousands of TBL's, which is not the case here. Every scenario points to EA’s being left out of recovering lost funds, but the games would get made.

A bigger problem with a resolution is in the new Owner not realizing that the game should be refined further BEFORE production. This was a mistake HP Owners made - they assumed Alien was ready to go and started to make them. With Xeno heads needing further testing and improvement, some circuit boards being prone to failure and alignment issues during assembly - no one was responsible for engineering fixes, qc’ing the design nor bulletproofing the game.

We already know about issues with TBL’s toys - bowling alley, car and rug needing adjustments. These should be fixed before starting production. Upgrading the software with code already developed and further polishing the software is also needed to make this game sing. Any new Owner needs to be prepared to pay to play for software development. Odds of this project proceeding and the above happening is maybe 1%.

#8535 5 years ago

I got to play TBL today! I Dropped by the Alamo Drafthouse in San Francisco and I was so stoked to see that it was up and running.

It played pretty well and it was loads of fun! I didn’t get to test out too many features as I’m not that skilled / I’m on my honeymoon and I was just happy my wife was happy enough to go play it at all haha. But still, I managed to go bowling once; I picked a hard one where one pin appeared at a time as if it were strafing left to right and back, I also got the Jesus multiball, the nihilist fight thing and started rug mode a couple of times and advanced one scene where The Dude gets his head dunked in the toilet.

One time I got to select the beat up The Dude’s car mode and as that started, the ball didn’t make its way up to the top play field and I had to nearly tilt it to get it to reappear down on the regular play field. That was the biggest issue I ran into.

The rug is looking very beat up. It’s super easy to hit the rug with a shot from either flipper and given that and it’s public location, I think it’s probably why it’s looking so worn. Even still, it functioned as it should, no effect on play, just worth noting here.

I wish I could’ve dropped $100 in it and played all day but we had too many other things to see. It definitely hasn’t done anything to squash my desire to own one someday! It’s super fun. Everything about it is fun and ties in to the movie so well. It’s such a damn shame about all these problems.

712EAEA8-9E7B-43C1-A833-FB762B5182B0 (resized).jpeg712EAEA8-9E7B-43C1-A833-FB762B5182B0 (resized).jpeg
#8536 5 years ago

Wow, that rug is pretty beat up!
Sounds like a good honeymoon to me! Maybe next visit drop some more coin in TBL.

#8537 5 years ago

Snoogans138 thanks for dropping by and playing my TBL - yeah the rug is super beat up but does function. I am happy that people can get to enjoy the game and hence why I operate it. Sorry about that hangup from the upper PF - the subway is getting beat up as well and I'm working with someone I know to build a new one so the ball won't get hung up any more.

That's actually one piece of input my operator (who does most of the maintenance on that machine and owns/operates most of the rest of the machines there) gave to Dutch before they started their second wave of machines so I know they had implemented several of the things he recommended to them.

I should see if I can find the rug sticker thing to reproduce so the rug mech doesn't look so bare...

#8538 5 years ago

genex So nice of you to leave it to the crowd. I didnt expect to be able to play it one day, then I found out a TBL was 5 minutes away from my work. I dont know how much it makes but a fair portion of it happily comes from my pocket !

#8539 5 years ago
Quoted from genex:

...I should see if I can find the rug sticker thing to reproduce so the rug mech doesn't look so bare...

Reproduce a sticker and I’ll buy a couple. Barry is sending me two, but I’d like a couple more in reserve.

#8540 5 years ago

genex thank you! It really made my day. I’ve been wanting to play this game for a long time and so I really appreciate you having it there.

1 week later
#8541 5 years ago

Since there isn't much else to talk about...

Does anyone know if there is a "Pinball-Browser" for this machine? I think it would be cool to either grab some of the animations from the machine or swap in/out songs.

Any of you that got your game tried this?

#8542 5 years ago

Can recall that the programmer once told me that the songs have no special protection, just WAVs. If this is right should be easy to swap out songs without any special software.

In regard to a pinball browser working on PROC, no idea. Don’t think so however one exists.

#8543 5 years ago

yeah you don't really need a tool. it's a linux box, if you attach keyboard/mouse to it can escape out of the game. then you have Ubuntu desktop and can go poke around the folders.

#8544 5 years ago

has anyone replaced anything in it so far? I like what they've done but played a TWD yesterday that was really sweet with a different sound and callout package

2 weeks later
#8545 5 years ago

lawsuit update soon? whats the scoop? When can Spooky or Chicago Gaming jump in and take over production here in the US and start pumping these things out for a reasonable price? If they were smart they would be teeing this up now...

#8546 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

lawsuit update soon? whats the scoop? When can Spooky or Chicago Gaming jump in and take over production here in the US and start pumping these things out for a reasonable price? If they were smart they would be teeing this up now...

When hell freezes over.

#8547 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I'll take one.

QSS

#8548 5 years ago

Check your email new NSL just hit the wire.

I will only post one bit of good news and leave the rest for the EA’s...

“PS Jaap’s cancer is gone! The radiation- and chemotherapy were successful and Jaap is now working on his recovery.”

#8549 5 years ago

Personally, I view this as positive news for Barry, Japp and the early archives. If the EA's want me to no longer post content such as this, let me know but I don't see the harm in sharing. In fact, I think it helps the cause against the "know it all" critics.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Kim,

We found out that lawsuits take a lot of time in the Netherlands. The story with ARA goes on and on and is still not finished. Here is a recap of what happened:

We (Barry, Jaap and our attorney) were invited to a court hearing on December 5th and we and ARA could both tell our side of the situation. This week, we received a temporary verdict. It says that the court advises ARA and us to sit down and discuss to see if we can come to an agreement.

The Dutch words are (quoted from the courts letter):

“…tot een gezamenlijke afwikkeling van hun samenwerking te komen. De rechtbank wil partijen daartoe nadrukkelijk oproepen en in de gelegenheid stellen voordat een eindbeslissing wordt gewezen.”

(Maybe Google translate can help you to understand what the Dutch court is saying)

Our next steps will be to investigate if we can come to a settlement. We hope you will understand that we can’t give any more details. As soon as we have a final verdict or a solution we will let you know.

We never realized that we would end up in a courtroom when we started to design the most beautiful pinball machine and we are sorry that we dragged you into this situation. We are very, very grateful for your continuous support!

If we have news that we can share we will let you know.

Regards, Barry and Jaap

PS Jaap’s cancer is gone! The radiation- and chemotherapy were successful and Jaap is now working on his recovery.

#8550 5 years ago

Interesting. I didn’t get the NSNL this time around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colts Neck, NJ
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/171?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.