(Topic ID: 115360)

The Big Lebowski Preorder Club (Members Only)

By Nilroc

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,258 posts
  • 857 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by TRAMD
  • Topic is favorited by 286 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
Congratulations (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
cfa7b21e-b560-42b2-aa4a-0a5c3eaaf4fa (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
hair (resized).jpg
IMG_4074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4075 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4073 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240124_181831_Facebook (resized).jpg
PXL_20240123_045035517.MP (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

28 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 306.
#5801 6 years ago

ARA can't sell shit without a license from Universal.

#5802 6 years ago

Anyone complaining about this news is a certified rug pisser. DP takes another step in the right direction, hope it continues. Great news EA's. They'll figure out financing, I bet they get built. And I bet ARA counters them because they can't sell em, and that's a bigger hit then working this out. All good news IMO, and about time, we needed some...

#5803 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A horse walks into a bar.
The bartender asks: "Why the long face?"
The horse replies: "Because I paid for a TBL that I've yet to receive and I feel like an ass."

A week later a Giraffe walks into the same bar.
The bartender asks: 'Why such a long neck?'
The giraffe replies, I used to be a horse complaining about TBL untill I met Walter who gave me the one and never to forget uppercut.

#5804 6 years ago

A guy in a bar watching a live TV broadcast of a suicide jumper. The guy and the bartender make a wager on if the guy will end it. The bartender, clicks off the TV sadly reaches in his pocket and pull out the twenty and hands it over to the other guy. The other guy puts up his hand and says" no I can't take your money it wasn't really live, I saw it at 6". The bartender replies," me too, but I didn't think he'd do it again"

#5805 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

The bartender replies," me too, but I didn't think he'd do it again"

Something tells me there's a hidden "Pre-order" joke in that.

#5806 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It doesn't matter because in 5 years every one of the 300 TBLs will be worth $16K.

I think the numbers won't work at 300. If they get this rolling again, they will be selling way more than 300.

#5807 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I think the numbers won't work at 300. If they get this rolling again, they will be selling way more than 300.

Ahh, those long running jokes.

#5808 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Peace sells but who's buying more than 300 TBL's.

#5809 6 years ago

I think they could sell around 5000, best machine ever. I would buy another three to route them. #27 over here.

#5810 6 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

ARA can't sell shit without a license from Universal.

Depends on the agreement they have with DP. I predict these machines will hit the market in time.

#5811 6 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I guess you will be lowering the price on your game now? Asking for a moron friend of mine....

This post got one down vote. Now we all know who your moron friend is!

#5812 6 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I think they could sell around 5000, best machine ever. I would buy another three to route them. #27 over here.

Currently at $10k, and likely much worse in EU (with taxes)? No chance in hell.

If they could get the price down and start knocking them out, they could certainly sell a hell of a lot more than 300, though.

#5813 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Currently at $10k, and likely much worse in EU (with taxes)? No chance in hell.
If they could get the price down and start knocking them out, they could certainly sell a hell of a lot more than 300, though.

The license is for only 300. A machine was destroyed in transit and they have to fix it instead of replace it, because replacing it would mean 301. Unless the get a new license 300 is the most we will ever see.

#5814 6 years ago

Finally some good news, congrats to the folks waiting for their game. I'm out of space and money for now, but this is the only game I'd consider buying NIB. Let's hope the new guys learn how to build pins fast.

#5815 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

The license is for only 300. A machine was destroyed in transit and they have to fix it instead of replace it, because replacing it would mean 301. Unless the get a new license 300 is the most we will ever see.

Licences are always up for negotiation. It is a simple commercial agreement. Licence owners ONLY make money by selling their products (the licence) so they are always up for a talk about it from my experiences.

#5816 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Not how it works usually. Usually there are contingencies for spares, replacements, terms for parts sales, etc. A replacement component usually doesn't constitute towards a production limit, or can be counted as a secondary category. Limits like those are usually producer 'limits', or they simply don't have the components to provide full replacements (because they didn't run enough overage, or have spares, etc).

People seem to forget... License holders do not want to see their property associated with failures or bad customer experiences - they don't set out to screw or lock people out. They simply want to protect their interests and ensure they get paid.

#5817 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

... If they could get the price down and start knocking them out, they could certainly sell a hell of a lot more than 300, though.

I think that TBL has a LOT of potential gameplay excellence remaining to be tapped. If DP comes through with the level of code originally promised, this game should have no problem selling in numbers well beyond the current 300 limit. Regardless of the last $10K (US) MSRP.

Quoted from Homepin:

Licences are always up for negotiation. It is a simple
agreement. Licence owners ONLY make money by selling their products (the licence) so they are always up for a talk about it from my experiences.

Word.

And I believe that Roger Sharpe has pretty much stated this publicly as well.

Quoted from flynnibus:

... License holders do not want to see their property associated with failures or bad customer experiences - they don't set out to screw or lock people out. They simply want to protect their interests and ensure they get paid.

Word.

#5818 6 years ago

^^^^ all that plus, the numbers really don't work at 300. To get this thing going, it has to be more. But ask them and see if they answer that question at their next 'live' q/a

#5819 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

The license is for only 300.

Things have changed obviously but the original preorder page specifically said the production amount was infinite. I've always taken it as the 300 was the agreement with ARA. (Maybe I'm wrong) If manufacturing starts back up, the license will get renewed and more then 300 TBL's will get made but as far as a location machine this thing has problems. Hopefully all gets sorted, 2nd builds are better and the Early Early Acheivers get some damn support. It's an amazing pinball machine but it's got too many software bugs to be a competition/league machine. Will people dump quarters in it? Sure Of course but that's not why I'd be putting it on location. If they can't get the glitches straightened out TBL will only be making brief appearances. Otherwise, it's just embarrassing for me and DP.

#5820 6 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

It's an amazing pinball machine but it's got too many software bugs to be a competition/league machine. If they can't get the glitches straightened out TBL will only be making brief appearances. Otherwise, it's just embarrassing for me and DP.

Have you relayed your experience with the software to DP? They seem to believe it's baked and finished, so it would be beneficial for operators and Early Achievers like yourself to tell them otherwise. Many of the Early Achievers who have their game seem to believe the code is complete. Please speak up, especially after all the chaos and frustration. No one wants a Dutch Magic Girl (exaggerating but you get the point).

#5821 6 years ago

FWIW DP knows the code is not finished but is focusing on production. My machine has been on location with almost 6000 plays and we've worked out many of issues and have provided hardware feedback for the new CM as well as code ideas which they've taken note of (the wizard mode is not coded, although no one has got to that yet)

#5822 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

If everything works out, they will make more than 300. Apparently, there is no limit. I was told this directly from Barry.

#5823 6 years ago
Quoted from genex:

FWIW DP knows the code is not finished but is focusing on production.

When I read this it was my understanding that DP has already said they consider the code near finished in their latest communications. Yet, now we have hearsay of the opposite. Am I wrong or did I miss something? If not, DP already spoke to this literally and recently and I wouldn't expect anything different unless DP literally says it themselves. Why make the picture muddy? It isn't helping anyone.

#5824 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

When I read this it was my understanding that DP has already said they consider the code near finished in their latest communications. Yet, now we have hearsay of the opposite. Am I wrong or did I miss something? If not, DP already spoke to this literally and recently and I wouldn't expect anything different unless DP literally says it themselves. Why make the picture muddy? It isn't helping anyone.

Complete enough to be fun and enjoyable. They don't see needing to complete new major bits of code as a requirement to moving forward... so don't fret over the programmer not being with DP right now. That's what they were saying. They can bring him or some else back when necessary. They know there are things left to be done.. but not things that would hold them back.

#5825 6 years ago

HELLS YES!

"Here is your weekly update about the production status of The Big Lebowski™ Pinball. Last week we informed you about our new Contract Manufacturer, which a lot of you were very happy about (and we too!)
This week we have news about Universal. One of the elements in the license from Universal is that Universal has to approve the manufacturer who will build the games. We therefore submitted the ‘Licensee Manufacturer Survey’. Good news: Universal approved everything, so we have a green light to proceed! Universal also gave us extra time to produce TBLs so things are looking very positive!
We will now start ordering parts for a 0-serie/engineering samples so we can start building TBLs again! Our goal is to have the 0-series ready in October 2017, after which we hope to start the regular production.
We are very grateful for Universal’s flexibility and also for your continuous support! Thank you so much.
Have a great weekend!"

#5826 6 years ago

Great news

#5827 6 years ago

If DP stands by their "True Serial Number" promise, they'll skip over the ones being held hostage by ARA.

#5828 6 years ago

Hope I get to eat this delicious crow in November. I have it ready to go, but will be in the fridge until then!

IMG_0828 (resized).JPGIMG_0828 (resized).JPG

#5829 6 years ago

Wow, must be the smallest response ever on a NSN

DP took the license hurdle, this is a small step for DP, big step for us achievers

#5830 6 years ago

I'm encouraged and optimistic.

*fingers crossed*

#5831 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Pinside is famous for not posting on unless everything is going badly.

#5832 6 years ago

Good to see more good news this week.
Keep it coming DP!

#5833 6 years ago

I actually smiled for the first time in months while reading this thread. Getting happy, cautiously optimistic. Keep up the weekly Updates DP!

#5834 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

DP took the license hurdle, this is a small step for DP, big step for us achievers

Meh.. they still haven't addressed the elephant in the room.. THE MONEY.

DP accepting the vendor - that's cool from a 'next step' progress report. Good to hear regular updates.
Uni approving the vendor.. that's cool but pretty insignificant in the scheme (if they wouldn't.. don't you think that would have reflected bad on DP's selection?)
Uni extending the license.. this bridge had previously been crossed. There wasn't big concern here.
DP sharing a timeline? Well, again, nice to get updates. It sounds right inline with what I outlined last month in terms of a likely scenario

Quoted from flynnibus:

I'd wager if they didn't have to redesign the electronics from scratch, they'd probably target something like 4-5 months out after having a deal to start test builds

But to temper expectations... remember these are TEST builds. Which likely means sample parts runs.. not necessarily the production volume runs. Which means full parts orders and then subsequent assembly production will happen after the validation that happens with the test runs. So don't expect november to mean 'full production' is immediately pending the test builds (tho depending on the size of their sample runs they might be able to run a small volume..).

Production likely would be after the new year.. given the info shared so far. Something is better than nothing... but until they share a credible story on how they will secure financing that works all the way through customer shipment... people are going to be skeptical, since they haven't cleared that air.

#5835 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Meh.. they still haven't addressed the elephant in the room.. THE MONEY.

And they don't have to. At the end of the day your just some unknown person on a pinball board giving your opinion whereas these guys are actually trying to run a business. Big difference. If they listened to every Tom, Dick, Harry and Flynnibus they'd never get anything done.

#5836 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I believe two weeks ago it was said there was no license hurdle, now they overtook it?

#5837 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

And they don't have to. At the end of the day your just some unknown person on a pinball board giving your opinion whereas these guys are actually trying to run a business. Big difference. If they listened to every Tom, Dick, Harry and Flynnibus they'd never get anything done.

Drop the mic! Bam.

#5838 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

And they don't have to. At the end of the day your just some unknown person on a pinball board giving your opinion whereas these guys are actually trying to run a business.

The topic was pinside reaction/response - so I think a person on a pinball board is very much an authority on the subject in question. Amazing what happens when you actually follow the context of a post instead of project your own fabrications!

#5839 6 years ago

Even if finance is quickly put in place and engineering samples all get built quickly, smoothly and work flawlessly, expectations should be modest as far as initial speed of production is concerned.

Some of the parts (for all 300 machines no less) are at ARA. Some of the suppliers don't produce many thousands of units, so replacing them may take a little while, unless ARA cave and come to an arrangement with DP to sell off the parts. If not, it may take a reasonable amount of lead time for them to get everything to both finish the run and then produce more. Case in point P-ROCs and the upper PF cars, the painting of which is all done individually by hand by one guy. Of course, the closer to production DP get, the more pressure there will be on ARA to agree to sell off all the parts and completed machines.

Good news, but a way to go.

#5840 6 years ago

So much speculation and guesswork

#5841 6 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

So much speculation and guesswork

I think people were trying to be quiet and not speculate further and then Rensh broke the silence.. it's his fault really

#5842 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Even if finance is quickly put in place and engineering samples all get built quickly, smoothly and work flawlessly, expectations should be modest as far as initial speed of production is concerned.
Some of the parts (for all 300 machines no less) are at ARA. Some of the suppliers don't produce many thousands of units, so replacing them may take a little while, unless ARA cave and come to an arrangement with DP to sell off the parts. If not, it may take a reasonable amount of lead time for them to get everything to both finish the run and then produce more. Case in point P-ROCs and the upper PF cars, the painting of which is all done individually by hand by one guy. Of course, the closer to production DP get, the more pressure there will be on ARA to agree to sell off all the parts and completed machines.
Good news, but a way to go.

If they create new prototype machines, I imagine they will be addressing some known mechanical issues in the ARA machines. Some of those custom parts may not be interchangeable.

#5843 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Actually they do have to address the money part. They said so themselves in the previous NSNL. Everyone is really anxious for that hurdle to be cleared, including DP I imagine. flynnibus was rightly pointing that out. I don't think that is out of bounds or negative at all.

Also, you're.

#5844 6 years ago

Its an excellent product that should sell itself beyond the initial run. Stay thirsty and hopeful my friends.

#5845 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Of course, the closer to production DP get, the more pressure there will be on ARA to agree to sell off all the parts and completed machines.

Yes...I brought this up a while ago. If they start making new machines and ARA can't (by law or contract) sell existing games or parts, it would be stupid for them not to cut a deal with the new manufacturer....and wash their hands of the whole mess....

#5846 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes...I brought this up a while ago. If they start making new machines and ARA can't (by law or contract) sell existing games or parts, it would be stupid for them not to cut a deal with the new manufacturer....and wash their hands of the whole mess....

I mean they could sell off 250 P-ROCs ... but who's going to buy in that bulk, except DP, or DP-associated CoinTaker for the 2.0 kits. I don't know how much of the machine could be sold off piecemeal, legally, rather than whole - probably quite a bit. Generic parts would of course sell. But it'd be a huge pain in the arse for them, and probably take up far too much time. They'd most likely sell it as a complete lot at auction, or to a single buyer privately. They still wouldn't be able to sell anything TBL branded though, including playfields, and would have to disassemble the already built machines.

In short, it's highly unlikely they find a buyer that can really make it worth their while except DP.

So they either swallow their pride, write everything off, or go to court ... and even if DP don't have a great case against ARA for damages, given Rene's actions, ARA would probably have a torrid time suing DP.

#5847 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

actually trying to run a business

Is that what theyve been doing????

I dont think theyre doing it right.....nevertheless....hoping for the best.

#5848 6 years ago

And on another note I finally had a chance to play TBL in San Francisco. I am, admittedly, a biased TBL movie aficionado. Nonetheless, I have to say this game did not disappoint. It flowed nicely; the video and call-outs were well done; the ramps were not easy to make!

I did notice that the bowling alley window seemed to be discolored. Does anyone with the game in hand have the same issue? GeneX - as this is your baby - any thoughts on this observation? Thanks for making it available to us less fortunate achievers

#5849 6 years ago

Mine is still clear.

It's same part as cftbl and Congo if you ever need to replace it

#5850 6 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

And on another note I finally had a chance to play TBL in San Francisco. I am, admittedly, a biased TBL movie aficionado. Nonetheless, I have to say this game did not disappoint. It flowed nicely; the video and call-outs were well done; the ramps were not easy to make!

Making the right ramp has been a challenge for me in my limited TBL playing. I think that's part of the reason that my favorite skillshot choice so far has been the one that automatically feeds the ball to the upper playfield. That and the opportunity to hit enough upper playfield loops to earn "Let's go bowling!".

Damn ... such a cool game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC
Shooter rods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 15,258 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/117 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.