(Topic ID: 75066)

The Big Lebowski design suggestions (What are you thinking, man?)

By solarvalue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by genex
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed.jpg
image.jpg
shooter lane view.JPG
BigLebowski.png
ball-197.gif

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Video modes for sure. I don't care that others dislike but needs to be in pins as brings something different to the game. Different color pinballs in game kind of like bowling balls with designs.

#52 10 years ago

Somewhere the pinball has to go into a "ball washing" thingy....

#53 10 years ago

I am guessing this will have an LCD screen and so I saw someone said no to videos but I like them. Also not sure if it will have a coin mech as I will most likely put mine out on location but an LCD would def be great for attract mode and general funny s*it.

#54 10 years ago

What if there's a lower playfield (like AC/DC) that's the bowling alley...with a rotating 'cannon' type mech to aim the ball at the pins - or flippers! Just might be neat as a lower PF so there's still 100% real estate on the main playfield for other features and toys.

#55 10 years ago

Yeah bowling alley lower play field is a cool idea

#56 10 years ago

Reading through this thread is kind of building my excitement! Who knows if any of this is feasible but it seems inevitable that things will be added and others subtracted during the design process.

This brings me to one of the first comments on TBL I remember reading where the person asked how a price point could be established without knowing what was going to be made. I wonder what happens to people that put down a deposit expecting a-b-c features and then during design this becomes b-c-d. It would be better for all if the payment plan was reconsidered such that DP did not start collecting any money until they have released a layout, most of the artwork and addressed how most of the design details would be addressed. This would still be a year ahead of start of production but it would help them define the product and all of us to know what we might be buying.

#57 10 years ago

ball-197.gifball-197.gif

#58 10 years ago

Maybe that works better as a DOT ( on loop just like that) during some mode than a play field toy

#59 10 years ago

I'm just watching the movie for the first time and am only halfway through. I've seen several visual elements that are no-brainers to use in the game.

The ball washing visual could lend itself for a ball lock count up. 1st lock you see Jesus, 2nd lock adds the other guy.

The ferret in the bathtub could be a 2-ball multiball mode, but it wouldn't work if players could trap a ball so I suggest to disable holding the flippers up during such multiball. That makes it more panic-y.

I like the idea of the car being a bash toy, but please not like on Nascar / Grand Prix.

Tilt: "This aggression will not stand man" (a no-brainer)

Update: Just finished seeing the movie for the first time. Saw some more nice elements that can feature in the game, and the movie has tons of great quotes, but man does the ending suck. This is a great story? The dude gets beat up and his place gets trashed, one of his friends dies and he doesn't get compensated for anything. It sure isn't a happy hollywood ending. And we still don't know how he did in the semi finals... That being said, I do see why this movie has been suggested so often to become a pinball machine. I'm getting more and more ideas that could fit in.

Pushing start with no credits: "Where's the money Lebowski?" with "No credits" blinking on the screen.
Pushing start with no credits a second time: "Where's the money? Bonny says you're good for it."
Pushing start with a credit, Jesus saying "Are you ready to be fucked?"

For ball lock visuals the balls could be locked in the 3 holes a bowling ball has. In theory that could also be a toy on the playfield, but probably too large.

Speaking of toys. A ball washing Jesus could be a toy as well, with a real pinball being washed, but just showing the animation would have the same effect and be more surprising. The toy is no surprise as you probably can see it all the time. Plus it would probably loose the ball when the playfield is lifted for maintenance.

#60 10 years ago

Rig the machine so that it doesn't work on Saturdays.

If you press the start button on a Saturday it says "Saturday is shabbas, the Jewish day of rest. Means I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I SURE AS SHIT DON'T FUCKING ROLL!"

...and then the game starts anyway.

#61 10 years ago

Picture this:
Playfield looks interesting. Shooterlane looks like a bowling lane with 10 pins at the end and is 4 times as wide as usual.
You push start: Jesus says "Are you ready to be fucked man?"
Ball is served in the shooter lane, you plunge and knock down some of the pins at the top of the playfield. Ball disappears at the top of the playfield. You see your score.
Ball 2 is served in the shooter lane, Jesus says: "Leo and me, we're gonna fuck you up." You shoot the ball, knock down some more pins. Ball disappears at the top. You see your score. Game over.

Now were you fucked or not? The ball never enters the left part of the playfield. That's just there to attract you to play

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Rig the machine so that it doesn't work on Saturdays

LOL

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Pushing start with no credits: "Where's the money Lebowski?" with "No credits" blinking on the screen.
Pushing start with no credits a second time: "Where's the money? Bonny says you're good for it."
Pushing start with a credit, Jesus saying "Are you ready to be fucked?"

I want this feature.

I just realized that this machine, if done well, is going to make Big Dick look like a Disney movie...

#64 10 years ago

the bowling lane plunger seems like everyone is onboard. visually i'm seeing the dream sequence when the dude's going through all the pairs of legs. maybe a skill shot like twilight zone with hanging bowling pin targets might work. semi-finals would be the obvious wizard mode...

#65 10 years ago

We haven't talked a lot about the homework sequence.. Starting with the neighbors interpretive dance thru corvette bashing. I do wish they have access to the "modified for television" version audio.. Some of the ways they try to remove the cuss words are funny in their own right; for family mode.

"This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass"

Becomes

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps"

#66 10 years ago

If theres not enough room on play field for the car. Make it an interactive topper.. When you complete phases of the movie the hood blows open, trunk, spins around.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from genex:

I am guessing this will have an LCD screen and so I saw someone said no to videos but I like them. Also not sure if it will have a coin mech as I will most likely put mine out on location but an LCD would def be great for attract mode and general funny s*it.

I think it will definitely have an LCD screen. JP, who also does LCD animation work for JJP, is on the staff list for this game.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Update: Just finished seeing the movie for the first time. Saw some more nice elements that can feature in the game, and the movie has tons of great quotes, but man does the ending suck. This is a great story? The dude gets beat up and his place gets trashed, one of his friends dies and he doesn't get compensated for anything. It sure isn't a happy hollywood ending. And we still don't know how he did in the semi finals...

Beneath the silly characters and dialog the movie is classic film noir, so you can't really expect a nice tidy ending.

#69 10 years ago

Since semi-finals was suggested as wizard mode: how about having a semi-finals wizard mode insert on the playfield, but leave it out of the code since the semi-finals are not in the movie?

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Beneath the silly characters and dialog the movie is classic film noir, so you can't really expect a nice tidy ending.

I get that, but there are a lot of open endings left. What happened with the PI in the blue Volkswagen? Did the guy Bunny owed money to ever get his money, or did he go after the homework kid? Did they beat Jesus in the semi-finals? Did Maude have the Dude's baby? Whatever happened to that missing million?

#71 10 years ago

I saw this from someone else a while ago, so not my idea.. The side of the head should be mirrored with the time man of the year / are you a little lebowski urban achiever? Mirror

Also.. Suggested kick ins for preorder: a pin rug and a dude sweater to wear while playing

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I saw this from someone else a while ago, so not my idea.. The side of the head should be mirrored with the time man of the year / are you a little lebowski urban achiever? Mirror
Also.. Suggested kick ins for preorder: a pin rug and a dude sweater to wear while playing

Or a cheap Dude Robe....

#73 10 years ago

Mini play field with bowling pins - the dude has to bowl

Or maybe a giant centre bowling pin you have to shoot.

#74 10 years ago

I watched the movie last night while I was messing around on the computer and refined some of my thoughts.

Cabinet design based on the bowling alley. Multi-tone solid colors (peach in the movie but some might object) with backlit CNC cutouts with colored plexi for the big star decorations. Backbox has screen in lower portion as pin area topped with the geometric design from the alley and the simple title in the official font, no photos.

Modes are based on scenes from the movie but the "awards" are characters, so for example the nihilists can be collected from the bathroom scene or from the fight scene.

Donny is collected from first non-strike after a certain number of strikes, obviously the more strikes the bigger the award when he's collected.

Most people may actually prefer actual video clips, but if you use those you're stuck with them being intro and outros rather than matching the play - just imagine these adorable guys in "This is what happens Multiball" with Walter running back and forth and the car smashing timed with the targets rather than just a video clip that's always the same.

BigLebowski.pngBigLebowski.png

#75 10 years ago

If you looked at the BoP 2.0 you could see that they used 3d renders for the animations. This renders are at a real high resolution (1080i or > i thought) and later on converted to a dmd format. I personaly don't think that animations would be any trouble.

I don't even know if they would use a dmd, but again taking a look at the BoP you can see the colorDMD is nice but could be easy replaced by any other lcd panel.

Only suggestions i could make for this project is to go back to the basics. JJP wants to attract new players, but its impossible to find the startbutton.
Not everyone understands pinballs, there should be something like a tutorial in it ^^.

#76 10 years ago

The only problem they may run into is a million ideas and then making mistake of trying to use them all and getting bogged down in making an impossible machine - is it called feature creep?

They could make a list of main things about movie - the rug, bowling, White Russians, bunny etc, Jesus, the dream sequence and then sketch around them.

For a mini playfield bowling alley using optos like the mini play field in transformers. So you shoot the ball over them and it scores pins with its own led scoring screen - a strike could start something like double scoring. Heck you could even have a little jesus figure that shoots the ball using STTNG type cannons to shoot the pins. Bit of a gimmick but could be funny. Otherwise it would be a flints ones type system. Unless they used an LCD like Woz and took the bowling game there using flippers.

One thing I think they should avoid is putting real photos of actors faces on slingshots and all over the play field alas some of the stern movie tie ins instead of using actual hand drawn art.

Couple of bowling pins on each side of the back box would look cool. Something like this on sides.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#77 10 years ago

Yeah I do hope they don't try to incorporate EVERYTHING but I suspect they won't. The cool thing is their fellow Dutchmen did a ton of stuff with insane modes on The Matrix so if they also go mode crazy and just have more modes/objectives I'm cool with that. The movie does have a ridiculous amount of scenes, but I would be fine if they didn't have all of it but even if it was more of the obscure stuff. After all, ultimately, I want it to be FUN to play above all else

#78 10 years ago

Looking at that poster a row of ladies with a bowling pin at the end for a center mode shot or something might work

#79 10 years ago

shooter lane view...

shooter lane view.JPGshooter lane view.JPG
#80 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I get that, but there are a lot of open endings left. What happened with the PI in the blue Volkswagen? Did the guy Bunny owed money to ever get his money, or did he go after the homework kid? Did they beat Jesus in the semi-finals? Did Maude have the Dude's baby? Whatever happened to that missing million?

It's the journey, not the destination, man!

#81 10 years ago

Yeah if they are reading anything I say, I don't expect them to use anything.. But if it inspires something in them that fits within their design so be it.

#82 10 years ago

Something to show the game is $8,500 worth. Someone had to say it. Still wish a big success even thou I don't get the big following on this old movie. Hope it tracks other things than high scores etc. that we see Predator doing, it's a nice touch of something new.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Something to show the game is $8,500 worth. Someone had to say it. Still wish a big success even thou I don't get the big following on this old movie. Hope it tracks other things than high scores etc. that we see Predator doing, it's a nice touch of something new.

Like Popeye tracks loop shots?

#84 10 years ago

Marmot multiball

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from EZG:

Marmot multiball

JOHNSON JACKPOT!

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I wouldn't worry there.... you know what the BOP 2.0 does with it's online highscores and the 'achievement-system'? One thing I absolutely wouldn't worry about, is the software (including rules, sounds, lights and DMD), based on the experience of some games I played on the BOP 2.0 at the DPO, combined with the dedication of the programmer.

For me, if I were a NIB buyer once in a while, the playfieldlayout would be the part I'd wait for before deciding (but that goes for each game I can think of, no matter what the theme is). If I were rich (well, we all are I guess, being able to have a pinball-hobby and not having to spend all our money on food and housing), well...... very rich, I wouldn't even have doubts there and just take the 'gamble'.

#87 10 years ago

Just in case you haven't seen this yet.
The making of TBL

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Redneck:

Just in case you haven't seen this yet.The making of TBL» YouTube video

That was the first thing I looked at Friday night before re-watching the movie...loved it!

#89 10 years ago

A couple of things I noticed on the website...

The game will be following the film’s plotline. Perfect! Start off with the rug getting pissed on...or the toilet and wheres the money Lebowski....and roll from there.

One thing they mention is "..... with video clips and audio samples, toys based on the movie....." There is no mention to music. They have Jules and Roel doing the music so I am assuming we won't be able to hear any of the background/soudtrack music. I am confident that Jules and Roel will do a great job, but it would be nice to incorporate the ablility add your own music to certain features in a legal way as well. (as mentioned in a previous post)

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I am confident that Jules and Roel will do a great job, but it would be nice to incorporate the ablility add your own music to certain features in a legal way as well. (as mentioned in a previous post)

DP: Please make this happen, give us a backdoor way of placing mp3s onto the game.

1 week later
#91 10 years ago

When draining during ball save time a voice call of Jeffrey Lebowski (the miljonair) going like: "I don't have two legs, but that didn't stop me from achieving a high score Mr Lebowski"

2 weeks later
#92 10 years ago

I just picked up Pinball Mike's CFTBL LCD Creature mod.

It had me thinking of the what ifs of having something like this under the main playfield of TBL. Possible interactive bowling, possible interactive fight sceen, etc that are shown through the playfield, and also on the Big LCD on the back box. The player could still concentrate on the game without looking up to the back glass...just a thought.

Another thought was how Mike programmed it where you can insert your own video during certain segments of play. Now that would be super cool if we had an editor to change video, audio call outs, and add our own background music...

ahhh the mind wanders

Getting anxious to hear something.

#93 10 years ago

Just posted from DP's Facebook page:

Thanks, Achievers, for the awesome response! You've given us some outstanding feedback. We're now reviewing all of your fantastic suggestions so we can incorporate the coolest ideas into the The Big Lebowski™ Pinball.

#94 10 years ago

I sent them some more ideas. My favorite of this salvo:

Coin up for multiple games, bunny says: I'll suck your c@ck for a thousand dollars

Don't match: "I'm just gonna go find a cash machine"

#95 10 years ago

Yeah saw the Facebook, I got an email from themthem a couple weeks ago to some ideas I submitted to them. I expressed my concern about "design by committee" andand while I appreciated then taking my and others input, worried about disjoint mess.

Response:

Yes, you are right, this is a risk. We are aware about this and therefore Barry, our creative designer, will decide in most of the cases to make sure you get a cohesive game with a good story.

(But it is so great to get so much input and funny suggestions!!)

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Yeah saw the Facebook, I got an email from themthem a couple weeks ago to some ideas I submitted to them. I expressed my concern about "design by committee" andand while I appreciated then taking my and others input, worried about disjoint mess.
Response:
Yes, you are right, this is a risk. We are aware about this and therefore Barry, our creative designer, will decide in most of the cases to make sure you get a cohesive game with a good story.
(But it is so great to get so much input and funny suggestions!!)

The theme came from a plebiscite groundswell online movement so it's only fitting that they are courteous to the pin side community and request imput. For them to put put a price and delivery date I'm of the opinion that they are further along the timeline then a lot of folks think and this request for imput is a courtesy on the off chance that are brilliant and original idea is forged.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

The theme came from a plebiscite groundswell online movement so it's only fitting that they are courteous to the pin side community and request imput.

Totally agree...and even if they don't use a single idea we have given them, it was certainly a nice nod to the pinball community to at least feel like we added to the project. Haven's seen too many manufacturers do that. Well done DP.

For them to put put a price and delivery date I'm of the opinion that they are further along the timeline then a lot of folks think

I am of this same opinion. It would not surprise me one bit. Rather than re-creating the wheel, I think these guys may already have the "major parts" already in hand or on order....(boards, p-rock, displays, etc)...

#98 10 years ago

Will someone please tell me who Ben Y is now? (Akuma, thejesus) everytime I see the Jesus cleaning his ball I think fondly of him

#99 10 years ago

Shomer Shabbos!

#100 10 years ago

For them to put put a price and delivery date I'm of the opinion that they are further along the timeline then a lot of folks think

I hope that's true.

I, however, suspect the exact opposite is true. Putting out a suggestion box? This makes me think this is far from the blueprint stage.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-design-suggestions-what-are-you-thinking-man/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.