New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 96737)

The Big Lebowski cabinet artwork revealed on video

By DutchTommy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 147 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheDude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lebowski-1.jpg
tbl leg.JPG
lebowski-measure.jpg
image-469.gif
BLdisplay.jpg
!10523310_901074779907954_3352052534947493999_n.jpg

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

I haven't really been following dutch pinball but came across their first video yesterday just browsing around youtube, I was very impressed. This just puts it over the top, I have never seen the big lebowski but this game as a pinball machine looks awesome. I also really like the bowling ally in this game especially compared to flinstones, makes that game look like a toy.

#52 6 years ago

Even if I don't get the pin, I would love to hang up the backglass. Entire package looks great.

#53 6 years ago

Beautiful backglass art!

#54 6 years ago

BLdisplay.jpg

Is it confirmed that the game will be using an LCD display? I realize it's just a rendering, but the scan lines on the display make me wonder.

#55 6 years ago

did you see my link on the bottom of the first page? For BOP they used an LCD, but they made it low res / look more like a DMD. Fake scan lines is even one of the modes on there. So, dunno.. it might be too CPU intensive or something to do full res rendered clips, so maybe this is the compromise.. bigger, but low res.. and you can pick the pixel rendering that you think looks most acceptable? sure they learning a lot on BOP 2.0 on what is/isn't doable.

#56 6 years ago

New to this one What is the price they are asking? I just read too expensive for me a lot

#57 6 years ago

$8500 US.. no idea what that is in Canadian

http://www.thebiglebowskipinball.com/preorder

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

did you see my link on the bottom of the first page? For BOP they used an LCD, but they made it low res / look more like a DMD. Fake scan lines is even one of the modes on there. So, dunno.. it might be too CPU intensive or something to do full res rendered clips, so maybe this is the compromise.. bigger, but low res.. and you can pick the pixel rendering that you think looks most acceptable? sure they learning a lot on BOP 2.0 on what is/isn't doable.

I'd say it was more of a memory issue pre loading frames than cpu. Is this a p-roc build or not?

Was testing dot filters today and you can see why it would be used, I ain't going back to standard now.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I did see your post, and it make me start thinking... I can understand using the fake scan lines and such for BOP 2.0 since it's based on an older game and gives off the retro vibe. For Lebowski, I didn't think they would use the same approach, especially if they are using clips from the film. But maybe that's just a silly assumption on my part.

#60 6 years ago

It does look nice.
How much are they asking ?

#61 6 years ago

Wonder if they would take my briefcase full of 'the whites" in exchange for a game!! I'm just gonna go find a cash machine...

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

I'd say it was more of a memory issue pre loading frames than cpu. Is this a p-roc build or not?
Was testing dot filters today and you can see why it would be used, I ain't going back to standard now.

Yes, this is a p-roc build with probably a 15 inch lcd monitor behind the bezel to fit the DMD dimensions.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The dots are just an aesthetic choice on their part to make it look more like a DMD, it would be less CPU intensive to show the video fullscreen.

I agree about the placement of Walter, the balance of the composition is just off a bit. I complained some in the other thread as well, but I don't want to seem like it's bad. I would never even bother to complain about a Stern backglass, but this one is so close to being great that the issues it does have bug me more.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes, this is a p-roc build with probably a 15 inch lcd monitor behind the bezel to fit the DMD dimensions.

Oh, Hi! Thanks

#65 6 years ago

The speed with which DP showing crumbs coming out of their kitchen is unbelievable! The way the sneaks taste is amazing! The more I see the more I want one! It makes me just jealous on all those who know they are getting one! Such a ride will be nothing short of fantastic. But hey, it's a lot of dough for a new machine... maybe need to get an extra job... or sell some of the collection... I don't know.... anyone an idea?

Hmmm.... Wait a minute ->> I'M ALREADY ONE THE LIST !!

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

The dots are just an aesthetic choice on their part to make it look more like a DMD, it would be less CPU intensive to show the video fullscreen.

right drawing the different black borders, yes. Was saying that what that means though is that they also doing have full res dots stored either. They could have a very blocky dot stored (say 8x8 lcd pixels per DOT pixel) So, at least a storage savings as that will compress really well. Represented by the "full pixel" left most panel in their pixelation border examples.

At any rate, we have no idea. At least when BOP 2.0 starts shipping we'll have a better idea of what you can do with that system. And if they further refine it / make something 'full res' of an LCD for TBL that's cool too. Either way not a deal breaker.. I personally don't need WOZ level of resolution.. but definitely appreciate that it will be better than old DMDs regardless

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I agree about the placement of Walter, the balance of the composition is just off a bit. I complained some in the other thread as well, but I don't want to seem like it's bad. I would never even bother to complain about a Stern backglass, but this one is so close to being great that the issues it does have bug me more.

I'm guessing there will be an option to display it full rez or "dot-ified"....pretty sure BOP 2.0 is going to have that option.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I agree about the placement of Walter, the balance of the composition is just off a bit. .

Maybe switching Walter and Donny would make more sense...Donny's always a bit behind them, out of the conversation...having Walter bigger and more imposing to the left of Dude would prob look a bit cooler.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe switching Walter and Donny would make more sense...Donny's always a bit behind them, out of the conversation...having Walter bigger and more imposing to the left of Dude would prob look a bit cooler.

I hate to critique it at all.. but something about donny's hands, to me, feels off as well.. like too big with the bowling ball maybe also pretty big? but yeah, walter being up front would be better still. Not going to lose sleep over it. welcome to the TBL club

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

$8500 US.. no idea what that is in Canadian
http://www.thebiglebowskipinball.com/preorder

not much more about 6 cents on the dollar so guessing a 9k game for here! and this is about 1500 average more than Woz so hoping its well worth it!

#71 6 years ago

With the Brunswick stuff & Bowling being SO pronounced....I'm waiting to hear the press release that every Brunswick Bowling Alley is going to have one of these....how cool would that be!?!? Bowling Alleys are one of the places you can reasonably expect to find a pinball machine...I have to imagine most bowlers would have to be Lebowski fans and would be excited to see this game & pump plenty of quarters into it! Perfect title for the perfect location.

#72 6 years ago

From the video it looks like the main playfield, lower playfield AND upper playfield are bowling alley boards.

#73 6 years ago

From the video it looks like the main playfield, lower playfield AND upper playfield are bowling alley boards.

The video is a CG representation w/ no artwork on the playfield and many toys/features not revealed yet. Don't take what you see there too literally.

#74 6 years ago

I did some rough measuring with a couple assumptions and it actually looks like a 20 inch monitor.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I did some rough measuring with a couple assumptions and it actually looks like a 20 inch monitor.

I doubt it. I tried a 17 inch panel in the backbox for the DMD when I was building one of my cabs and I couldn't fold down the head. I would bet its a 15 inch and the scale is off from the video.

#76 6 years ago

how does the size of the monitor turn into not being able to fold down the head? Is this under the assumption you're using a standard head vs custom built or ? just curious.

Agree though that it could just be the CGI video, but .. would be a bit of a mis-step to get us salivating about it

#77 6 years ago

Cant wait for the first gameplay footage.

#78 6 years ago

I doubt it. I tried a 17 inch panel in the backbox for the DMD when I was building one of my cabs and I couldn't fold down the head. I would bet its a 15 inch and the scale is off from the video.

I highly doubt the scale is off in the video.

Anyone can duplicate my math, I guessed the translite was about 27" wide. Since they've released the full resolution version of it I can confirm it's 26.6", so more than close enough. Using that as a reference point it's pretty trivial to measure things. Assuming a 16x9 monitor, with the full width being represented in the "DMD window" area gives you a 20" display. I could be off slightly, but not by 5".

How they're dealing with the extra vertical space of the monitor remains to be seen.

#79 6 years ago

They frickin' nailed it! Well done!

#80 6 years ago

parusing newegg for a second.. found a viewsonic 16:9 ratio LCD that was 20" diagonal. In the comments:

The viewable screen is about 17" wide and 9.5 inches tall. The whole monitor is almost 19 inches wide.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

With the Brunswick stuff & Bowling being SO pronounced....I'm waiting to hear the press release that every Brunswick Bowling Alley is going to have one of these....how cool would that be!?!? Bowling Alleys are one of the places you can reasonably expect to find a pinball machine...I have to imagine most bowlers would have to be Lebowski fans and would be excited to see this game & pump plenty of quarters into it! Perfect title for the perfect location.

Great point. Don't know how many bowling alleys there are, but they'd sell a ton on that point alone!

#82 6 years ago

Provided, of course, there is a family mode! Dutch Pinball look like they're not holding back in the slightest with the adult content from this film.

#83 6 years ago

From their FAQ:
http://www.thebiglebowskipinball.com/faq

Q: Will The Big Lebowski™ Pinball have a parental controls/adult mode?
A: Yes, and if you have kids, you’ll be glad it does!

#84 6 years ago

The Dude approves!

image-469.gif

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

A: Yes, and if you have kids, you’ll be glad it does!

I trust this means that it will be quite awesome with it turned off.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Art package was done really well I loved the backglass & LCD. Backglass was done perfectly IMO. Wish I could go to the cash machine for this one but I was priced out just can't spend that much money on a pin I've never played in person. However it's great knowing that there will be a Big Lebowski pin out there so I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me.
Post edited by The_Dude_Abides: Took another look and found that I really liked the artwork.

Youll have to change your name if you dont buy this btw!

#87 6 years ago

If the LCD display in the video is showing a true image that's being used in the pin and I would think it is, looks like simulated dots at a slightly higher resolution that what Stern now uses but not HD video like it should be. I guess they are trying to cater to the old DOT lovers who don't want to give up their dots and the new crowd that want to see full color HD video. With that said I think it looks great so far.
Look out Stern and JJP, their's a new kid on the block.

#88 6 years ago

Love the art style but Walter needs more prominance.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Love the art style but Walter needs more prominance.

Walter is fine right where he is. I see no problem at all hiding the obese guy in the back. You know who he is, he is there.

Julianne Moore or John Goodman, who's breasts would you rather stare at? (someone else in this thread had suggested those two should have their positions switched)

I imagine Walter will have plenty of action on the game's display.

#90 6 years ago

It's good to see Donny bowl too.
That was his life, and I think he's the only character to actually bowl in the movie.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It's good to see Donny bowl too.
That was his life, and I think he's the only character to actually bowl in the movie.

Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors - and bowling, and as a surfer, he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and up to Pismo.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I highly doubt the scale is off in the video.
Anyone can duplicate my math, I guessed the translite was about 27" wide. Since they've released the full resolution version of it I can confirm it's 26.6", so more than close enough. Using that as a reference point it's pretty trivial to measure things. Assuming a 16x9 monitor, with the full width being represented in the "DMD window" area gives you a 20" display. I could be off slightly, but not by 5".
How they're dealing with the extra vertical space of the monitor remains to be seen.

Who knows...the speakers look on the baby side, might well of fit.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I hate to critique it at all.. but something about donny's hands, to me, feels off as well.. like too big with the bowling ball maybe also pretty big? but yeah, walter being up front would be better still. Not going to lose sleep over it. welcome to the TBL club

The main characters are Walter and The Dude, Donny is not done right and is in the wrong place, he should be where Walter is looking confused like he is in the movie.
He is as Walter would say out of his element.
The stranger is stuffed in there too tight and his shoulders are too narrow.
The cab looks dynamite but they missed the mark on the translite.
Am I wrong?
Doesn't anybody give a shit about the rules anymore?

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Great point. Don't know how many bowling alleys there are, but they'd sell a ton on that point alone!

The problem is that ops that put games in alleys are not going to drop that kind of coin on a pinball.
None of the alleys up here have pinballs anymore just redemption games.
I would love to get this game but at almost 10K to my door I am out.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Donny is not done right and is in the wrong place

I think Donny and Walter are fine where they are and I'm pretty fussy. Maybe Walter will appear more on the playfield or plastics?

Quoted from tracelifter:

The stranger is stuffed in there too tight and his shoulders are too narrow.

Sorry, I really can't see that.

Quoted from tracelifter:

The cab looks dynamite but they missed the mark on the translite.
Am I wrong?

Yes, you are...but that's just, like, my opinion.

#96 6 years ago

Awesome looking cabinet artwork. Looking forward to seeing a white wood in the future.

#97 6 years ago

Boy, if they have something ready for expo... and hobbit is also shown at expo, that will be amazing.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Boy, if they have something ready for expo... and hobbit is also shown at expo, that will be amazing.

amazing for DP....
not sure how JJP will feel about it....

These guys have their shit together. When talking with Phil he has never mentioned anything about delays in building the game. The only thing he has mentioned, as being a challenge, is getting all the approvals from all the sources...(Universal, Brunswick, actors, etc)

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Multimorphic are supposed to have prototype games there too.

#100 6 years ago

Really great expo is to be expected this year....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Saint Charles, MO
$ 50.00
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 22.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside