julianne_moore_03.jpg
TBL-inserts.png
big lebowski waiting.gif
Lebowski Poster-767.jpg
Kamora.jpg
Kapali.jpg
the-big-lebowski-movie-poster-1998-1010692689.jpg
movie-poster1.jpg
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

tl;dr - The dollar sign in Lebowski bothers me a lot.

Let me preface this by saying I am a huge fan of The Big Lebowski. I've seen the movie 30+ times. I can quote most of it. When the table was announced, I was excited to an insane degree. I knew I would cling to any/all news as it arrives to help me decide whether or not I should buy it.

Dutch Pinball sent out the first teaser video back in July and something immediately struck me -- the dollar sign instead of an "S" in Lebowski really stood out and felt unnatural to me. I first went to my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD copies of the film to look at the artwork. No dollar sign.

I then turned to Google Image Search and poked around a bit. The various official movie posters I could find didn't have a dollar sign.

As best I could tell from my digging, the dollar sign only appeared once -- on the 10th Anniversary DVD. My guess is the Coen brothers (or somebody) added this as a joke about double-dipping and getting people to buy the same movie on DVD once again.

I sent an email to Phil at Dutch Pinball about this, right away when I got the teaser video back in July. My hope was that it was early enough in the process that the artwork could be changed to a more "correct" version. The Pinball News preview came out last week and the dollar sign is still there.

I sincerely wish this didn't bother me as much as it does. And perhaps I'm the only one? But I want this table to be amazing and succeed and be as close to perfect as possible. To me, the dollar sign just might be a dealbreaker (for me) when it comes to owning this machine. Let's face it, the market for this pinball machine is Lebowski super-fans and super-fans are going to notice things like this. It's everywhere -- the cabinet, near the coin door, on the translite, so it's pretty in-your-face.

Anyway, Dutch Pinball didn't respond to either of my emails so I'm starting this thread to, if nothing else, raise awareness. It's also possible that I'm the only person this bothers and they'll do just fine on the game without my $8500. If it at all bugs you, please weigh in.

#2 9 years ago

I don't know if it bugs me per se, but I certainly noticed it right away and thought it was odd....

#3 9 years ago

Damn it Ted with that HTML code B.S....now it's all over the place.

#4 9 years ago

I noticed it right away, and it bothers me too. Probably more than it should, but not enough to keep me from buying if I end up jumping in. So, a bit less than it bothers you.

#5 9 years ago

No problem here

#6 9 years ago

i think it's a nice touch.
story is also about money, i think it fits.

#7 9 years ago

I agree that the "$", and the new font that comes along with it, looks bad.

Some discussion starts in another thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/8#post-1764774

The suggestion is raised in that thread that DP is required to use the official Lebowski font (including the "$") under their licensing agreement. So perhaps what we're seeing is the new, official, (and far inferior) font for TBL. But if they're required to use it to get the license, not much DP can do about it ...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Oversoul:

To me, the dollar sign just might be a dealbreaker (for me) when it comes to owning this machine.

To each their own I guess. If that's the only things that bugs you and it keeps you from enjoying what appears to be a very awesome looking game then so be it.
I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole hill but again, it's your opinion and you have every right to it.
I for one didn't even notice it. I spend most of my time looking at the playfield while playing pinball so the cabinet, translite, and front really don't make or break any pin for me.
Hope you can overlook the $ cause the rest of this thing is amaze-balls.

PS:For me, the deal breaker is that $9K once it's shipped to my door price tag.

#9 9 years ago

I'm sure little stickers could be fashioned to turn the $ to an S if it bugs you that much. I assume its a licensing thing.. Not sure why they changed the font so much later after the movie came out

#10 9 years ago

I never noticed until I read this thread. If you look at the machine it is not present on the DMD or on the apron. In the places it is present, it is only a little tip on the top and bottom. Not like it is the full double strike through of a real dollar sign.

Being barely noticeable, I say 'F#ck it dude, lets go play pinball".

#11 9 years ago

I don't like it either. Really hacky, like when people spell it "Micro$oft." Maybe that was clever in 1995, but not any longer.

#12 9 years ago

The theme is licenced. You should ask Universal Studios Home Entertainment :p

#13 9 years ago

I noticed it right away too, but I shrugged it off since the ransom was a major plot point of the movie. I'm not a fan of the change, but it hasn't particularly bothered me.

#14 9 years ago

If it bothers you that much the full resolution file for the translite has been released. It could be photoshopped out and you could print your own personal use version. Problem solved.

#15 9 years ago

Didn't notice, don't care. I'm more concerned about replacement parts for a boutique pin.

#16 9 years ago

Didn't even notice till you pointed it out. Looks fine. Better than a big AMC logo.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Damn it Ted with that HTML code B.S....now it's all over the place.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I didn't start it...i just asked how it was done...

#18 9 years ago

Doesn't bother me at all. The story is about a bunch of people chasing money. The only thing that "bothers" me is that Donny is more prevalent on the translite than Walter....and that's me TRYING to find something wrong...the whole package is so great, I don't really care that much.

#19 9 years ago

The actor's heads are cut off at the insert when seeing the game in a dark room, it just seems amateur.

The rest is fine.

#20 9 years ago

I was scratching my head at this at first too. As a matter of fact, I think I may have been part of the discussion over on the other thread. At first I wondered why did they not use the title fonts from the movie (these did end up on the apron). If you look at the actual film tile and take into consideration that it is two different fonts, it just would not make good design sense on the cab or translight with all three words positioned on the same horizontal line. Positioning them the way they are in the film and on the apron, would have left an awful lot of dead space to design around on the cab and trans.

After looking at some of the original promo material, I came to the realization that the $ font was probably the best choice. The early posters look very generic to me, design wise. Especially the fonts, which seem to be all over the place and are not derived from the title fonts used in the film. I don't think I would have been happy with any of them. And, after all, it could be argued that money is one of the central themes in the movies story line.

movie-poster1.jpgmovie-poster1.jpg
the-big-lebowski-movie-poster-1998-1010692689.jpgthe-big-lebowski-movie-poster-1998-1010692689.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Ouch, that second one is terrible.

#22 9 years ago

yeah thank goodness that one didn't win; what is this "The mask 3" ?

#23 9 years ago

I just googled:

"The Big Lebowski" "dollar sign"

to see who else on the net as been talking about this and when it started to appear. First result was this thread, and then nothing else. Looks like no one else cares.

#24 9 years ago

Yeah - no dollar sign would be ideal, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

In fact, if it came down to changing this or DP getting the legal rights to display the Kahlua name on the applicable White Russian insert, I'd opt for the latter. I'll see that insert a lot more than the title when playing the game and "Kahlua" (as shown on the prototype) would have been cool!

- Tim

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

or DP getting the legal rights to display the Kahlua name on the applicable White Russian insert, I'd opt for the latter.

Easy mod, right?

#26 9 years ago

What I find interesting about this entire project (TBL) is that its now come down to the only thing we can bitch about is a $ rather than an S? I mean really?

Come on...lets get irritated by something with some meat in it.

Crappy toys? nope, cant bitch about that
Crappy DMD? nope, can't bitch about that
Poor use of theme? nope, can't bitch about that
Poor build quality? nope, can't bitch about that

hummmm, I got one, lets get really irritated by the $ vs S, yeah, that will get em'...watch out DP, they natives are grabbing the pitch forks!

#27 9 years ago

I like Turtles

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Oversoul:

Note to self... this family really likes the Big Lebowski....LOL Paul mentioned this to me about a month ago and I didn't think anything of it.... Don't let it get to you, just enjoy what appears to be a breath of fresh pinball air.

#29 9 years ago

People can be snarky if they want. It may not bother you, that's fine. Things that bother other people (the Kahlua logo, for example) don't bother me. I said I might be the only one this bothers but, as this thread shows, it does bother other people (to varying degrees).

In countless other threads, people talk ad-nauseam about cabinet art and translite art. This title/logo is very much the most prominent thing about the cabinet art. Art is very much a matter of opinion, this is mine, you're free to have yours.

If Dutch Pinball weighed in and said, "We were legally obligated due to the license to use that title/font", I'd be fine with that explanation. If it was an artistic choice, though, I would prefer that the dollar sign wasn't there. They haven't weighed in, so we can only speculate.

#30 9 years ago

So it isn't the crime, it's the coverup?

Either you can live with the Big Lebow$ki or you can't. I don't see why an explanation would make a difference to you - if the Dutch pinball guys came in here and said a goblin forced them to do it, you'd suddenly be willing to pony up the 8500?

#31 9 years ago

Artistic freedom...you gotta give it to DP and let them make it as they'd like. Hop on board and don't look back!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Oversoul:

Goooood lord. We have finally done it... we've jumped the shark of pinside pinball complaints.

Quoted from burningman:

What I find interesting about this entire project (TBL) is that its now come down to the only thing we can bitch about is a $ rather than an S? I mean really?
Come on...lets get irritated by something with some meat in it.
Crappy toys? nope, cant bitch about that
Crappy DMD? nope, can't bitch about that
Poor use of theme? nope, can't bitch about that
Poor build quality? nope, can't bitch about that
hummmm, I got one, lets get really irritated by the $ vs S, yeah, that will get em'...watch out DP, they natives are grabbing the pitch forks!

Perfectly put. Thumbs up for you good sir.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

It's not this project, it's any project. "AMC" logo crying...really?

#34 9 years ago

Seems this $ complaint needed to be lodged some time ago. It's not a new font decision.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Lebowski-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B001AEF6D6

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

In fact, if it came down changing this or DP getting the legal rights to display the Kahlua name on the applicable White Russian insert, I'd opt for the latter.

Maybe getting rights to use one of these guys would be cheaper, the Dude didn't strike me as a brand snob:
Kapali Coffee LiqueurKapali Coffee LiqueurKamora Coffee LiqueurKamora Coffee Liqueur

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Seems this $ complaint needed to be lodged some time ago. It's not a new font decision.
amazon.com link »

That's mentioned in the OP's OP.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ouch, that second one is terrible.

I'd give it a toes down if I could.

#38 9 years ago

I think this is the most petty thing I have ever seen someone complaining about when a new pin is revealed. I could look at any other licensed pin and think of dozens of things to be much more bothered about (toys, artwork, callouts, etc). If a simple dollar sign instead of an "s" is going to stop you from enjoying the hundreds of other nods to this classic movie then by all means, stay away.

I also find it slightly strange that you have a total of 3 posts on Pinside and this is the reason you came on here?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's mentioned in the OP's OP.

Hmmm didn't see it here:

Quoted from Oversoul:

tl;dr - The dollar sign in Lebowski bothers me a lot

I clearly got the "didn't read" part right haha

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Oversoul:

If Dutch Pinball weighed in and said, "We were legally obligated due to the license to use that title/font", I'd be fine with that explanation. If it was an artistic choice, though, I would prefer that the dollar sign wasn't there. They haven't weighed in, so we can only speculate.

Notice: More speculation ahead

My guess is that the $ font is now part of the official licensed art package along with the artwork that went along with it in the 10th anniversary promo stuff. Much of the cab and trans artwork seems to have come from this era. Remember, TBL bombed at the box office upon release (grossed $17 mil with a $15 mil budget). I would say that very little cash was thrown toward print ads initially and that is why we see such inconsistency and generic design in the posters. So, like it or not (no snarkyness intended), it is probably the agreed upon artwork for TBL. At this point, I think removing the dollar sign would make it look kinda weird, just my opinion though.

#41 9 years ago

Maybe it has a $ because the game costs $8500+

If you look closely the Medieval Madne$$ translite is the same way.

#42 9 years ago

I had this poster up in my college dorm room after scoring it from the free bin at the video store back in '99 soon after Lebowski came out on VHS (an instant grab for me since I was one of the few that enjoyed it in the theater), and for years after it followed me around the country to various cities and states. So generic though it may appear, the title font at the top there will always be the "The Big Lebowski" font to me.

The Big Lebowski posterThe Big Lebowski poster

Also if we're going with the theory that "the money" is a central theme of the film and therefore a "$" is justified, shouldn't the final "i" be rendered as a toe (or a joint, for that matter)?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Also if we're going with the theory that "the money" is a central theme of the film and therefore a "$" is justified, shouldn't the final "i" be rendered as a toe (or a joint, for that matter)?

no

#44 9 years ago

People who have first world problems find this problem mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

#45 9 years ago

Really?

(My response to the OP.....just to be clear)

#46 9 years ago

I don't think you can even see the $ without some shades due the attract mode light show alone.

#47 9 years ago

Really.....
big lebowski waiting.gifbig lebowski waiting.gif

That $ brings the whole title together...

#48 9 years ago

As long as it isn't in comic sans font, I'm cool

#49 9 years ago

The poster/DVD cover examples in this thread illustrate the common disconnect between the artists involved with the film itself and the studio/distributer artists involved with the promotion of the film.

Typically the directors have very little say on how the film is promoted. Famously they often even have no control over the trailers!

So when looking at 'the true source of artwork' for the film, I'd look only at what is shown on the screen. From there any creative license is just as valid as the creative license the studio/distributers took in making the poster and covers for the film when it released.

#50 9 years ago

I hope to reach a point in my life when something like this could bug me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 22.50
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowki-artwork-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.