(Topic ID: 73333)

The Big Bang Theory Pinball Machine - Why Not?

By PromoJoe23

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the critic.jpg
    belvedere.jpg
    3375111-penny_nipples_big_bang_theory.png
    $_57.JPG
    penny-black-dress-kaley-cuoco.jpg
    penny_big_bang_theory.jpg
    big-bang-theory-cast-cbs.jpg
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago

For the people that say they don't like Big Bang Theory, my question is which half hour comedies do you like?

One thing about half hour comedy shows is that there are many different styles and not everyone will like the same things.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Santeh:

Dr. Bialik plays Dr. Amy Fowler, Sheldon's girlfriend, on the show. I made reference to it as the article listed in thus thread also notes how the sitcom has not been fair to women until recently (if whatever relevance that means to that article). Yet to have a real-life female Ph.D. biologist on the show is if interest.
    For what it is worth, The Big Bang Theory is not my favorite television show. I just find the discussion interesting, if anything else.

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't change my overall opinion of the show. My single biggest problem with it is simply that it isn't funny.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't change my overall opinion of the show. My single biggest problem with it is simply that it isn't funny.

I hear you as there have been aspects of the show I simply disagree with, including some of their science.

I would still prefer a Stern or JJP Star Wars pin.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

For the people that say they don't like Big Bang Theory, my question is which half hour comedies do you like?
    One thing about half hour comedy shows is that there are many different styles and not everyone will like the same things.

Arrested Development.
    Archer.
    Frisky Dingo (may be 15 minute episodes.)

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Over the last decade or so:

Arrested Development
    Office (British version)
    Flight of the Conchords
    Extras
    30 Rock
    Archer
    Always Sunny
    Community
    Parks & Rec
    Stella
    Reno 911

#56 10 years ago

I grew up collecting comic books. I currently have an issue #3 of "Rex the Wonderdog" (as well as 400 other comic books) on the wall of my gameroom. I grew up with a really pretty blonde woman whom I admired living down the street. I'm an engineer with a Masters Degree. I don't watch sports in general, and the day of the Superbowl if I want to see a bunch of guys running around in tights instead of watching the game I watch an old 1960s Batman episode (even if the local team is playing in the game).

See any parallels to the show?

... but I do love baseball.

I think the show is really, really funny... and I still frequent a comic book store. I must be strange. <sigh>... outcast again...

#57 10 years ago

You are assuming this based on his tendencies, right?

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

This is a very good article explaining why the show isn't funny and sometimes just offensive. I enjoy shows with characters I can relate to, not where people like me are the punch line.
    http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

So it's funny to laugh at the dummies but not ok when the jokes on you? That sure is hypocritical. The only thing this article explains to me is that the author has a thin skin and is easily offeneded since he can't laugh at his own similar idiosyncrasies. Pathetic. I'm pretty nerdy myself and one thing I learned a long time ago is that if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at no one.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

You are assuming this based on his tendencies, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper#Asperger_syndrome
    "Our feeling is that Sheldon's mother never got a diagnosis, so we don't have one" strongly implies that there is SOMETHING there to be diagnosed.

I'm not saying that he must have Aspergers, but there's a strong argument to be made for that being the case, and a lack of willingness on the writers' part to dispel those rumors. What would you conclude?

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

So it's funny to laugh at the dummies but not ok when the jokes on you? That sure is hypocritical. The only thing this article explains to me is that the author has a thin skin and is easily offeneded since he can't laugh at his own similar idiosyncrasies. Pathetic. I'm pretty nerdy myself and one thing I learned a long time ago is that if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at no one.

Do you laugh at mentally handicapped people?

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

While I still freely admit that I have not paid attention to the laugh tracts, the main aspect that bothered me was how Sheldon treated Amy. I understand that it is most likely meant as a sign of his emotional immaturity, and the character is growing, but I find it sometimes hard to watch.

As for the science, there are sometimes some issues but not enough that I would stop watching just because of it.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

"Our feeling is that Sheldon's mother never got a diagnosis, so we don't have one" strongly implies that there is SOMETHING there to be diagnosed.
    I'm not saying that he must have Aspergers, but there's a strong argument to be made for that being the case, and a lack of willingness on the writers' part to dispel those rumors. What would you conclude?

If I let my science side come out then I, personally, cannot conclude anything as there is not enough information given. It would simply warrant retesting or, perhaps in this case, proper testing. As I mentioned earlier, I have known people like Sheldon and they were not known to have autism nor Asperger's syndrome (it does not mean they did not, though).

Back to the original question: I still do not think I would buy a Big Bang Theory pin.

#63 10 years ago

I only laugh at myself...

#64 10 years ago

This is precisely why a lot of folks here probably don't like TBBT. Many (not all) pinball enthusiasts are very much like Sheldon or other characters on the show - nerdy, geeky, awkward, uncomfortable in social situations, etc.

It's the same reason why many people were upset with the way pinball collectors were portrayed in the pinball documentary, "Special When Lit." Nobody wants to be the fat guy hoarder with his gut hanging out from
    under his two sizes too small shirt.

I think the show just hits too close to home for many people here. Regardless, I think TBBT pinball could be very successful if the emphasis is on comedy.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

The implication is the joke btw. Idk, just seems like you have something seriously against the show personally and that's fine. Looks like a stretch to conclude he has a mental condition and then hate the show for making fun of him for it?

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

To each their own...the fake nerds give me douche chills.
    There are tons of these youtube videos that remove the laugh track....it's pretty telling how unfunny it is when the fake laughter isn't there to goad you on
    » YouTube video

The clip is edited in a way that the comedic to in is all off it's no the show with the laugh track removed

#67 10 years ago

Add a poll to the topic.( would you buy? etc.)

#68 10 years ago

Sheldon is a beloved character... I see it as that and nothing more. Its a fun show and the actors/actresses/writers are talented. This thread has become too heavy for me. As Ringo stated when he stopped signing autographs: "Peace and love, peace and love..." I'm outta' here...

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

I don't know where you managed to find hypocracy in my statement but I stand by it. I can laugh at myself just fine but there's a fun way to do it (Kevin Smith and Seth McFarlane are great at this) and a mean spirited way to do it. The difference lies in laughing with someone versus laughing at someone.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

huh? Which one of them has autism or asperger's?

The writers.

#71 10 years ago

I think BBT would be an awesome way to cross market pinball. Start off with putting a couple pins on the set or at the comic book store. Get them with some screen time. Then maybe have a BBT machine later on with a tie in with the pins on the show.

Rick

#72 10 years ago

Yeah...this went a bit too far here. I have a son who is autistic and he loves the show and Sheldon. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of characters, funny lines and things in the show that could relate to a fun pin.

It's all in the design, layout, and playability that make a fun pin. Having comedy along with it I believe still would make it a good game. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

The implication is the joke btw. Idk, just seems like you have something seriously against the show personally and that's fine. Looks like a stretch to conclude he has a mental condition and then hate the show for making fun of him for it?

As stated before, I mostly don't like the show because it simply isn't very funny. I don't watch much TV; there are about a half a dozen shows in the past decade that I've bothered to watch. Big Bang Theory simply isn't good enough.

Once more, I don't think Sheldon NECESSARILY has Aspergers, but IF he does, the character is in poor taste.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from PromoJoe23:

Yeah...this went a bit too far here. I have a son who is autistic and he loves the show and Sheldon. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of characters, funny lines and things in the show that could relate to a fun pin.
    It's all in the design, layout, and playability that make a fun pin. Having comedy along with it I believe still would make it a good game. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

+1

#75 10 years ago

The popularity of the TV show does not necessarily apply to a pinball game. I love the show, but it really does not have many notable or repetitive callouts that players would recognize like Family Guy or Simpsons. The Sopranos even had lots of notable callouts and did not do well.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

I make and hear Seinfeld quotes/references on an almost daily basis, still. The show was something special.

I agree...giddy up!

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I enjoy the tv show. Not all tv shows have to be fart jokes.
    But I don't think it would make a good pin. What would the modes be? I could count numerous shows that would be better. Such as scooby doo, dukes of hazzard, etc. Those at least could have modes that make sense.

Who needs "modes"? as far as I know Pinbot doesn't have a "mode" and neither does Taxi or F-14.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from winslow:

This is precisely why a lot of folks here probably don't like TBBT. Many (not all) pinball enthusiasts are very much like Sheldon or other characters on the show - nerdy, geeky, awkward, uncomfortable in social situations, etc.
    It's the same reason why many people were upset with the way pinball collectors were portrayed in the pinball documentary, "Special When Lit." Nobody wants to be the fat guy hoarder with his gut hanging out from
    under his two sizes too small shirt.
    I think the show just hits too close to home for many people here. Regardless, I think TBBT pinball could be very successful if the emphasis is on comedy.

Wow...getting a little deep here for a simple comedy show. And the Family Guy, that's so much better, and that others have compared this theme to - I am not comfortable even having on my TV. To each his own I guess.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Do you laugh at mentally handicapped people?

Absolutely, I don't discriminate.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

I don't know where you managed to find hypocracy in my statement but I stand by it. I can laugh at myself just fine but there's a fun way to do it (Kevin Smith and Seth McFarlane are great at this) and a mean spirited way to do it. The difference lies in laughing with someone versus laughing at someone.

The hypocrisy is in the article, not you per se.

#81 10 years ago

CCCCCCCCCat Fight

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from PromoJoe23:

Having comedy along with it I believe still would make it a good game.

...but the game would have to be based on an actual COMEDY!

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Who needs "modes"? as far as I know Pinbot doesn't have a "mode" and neither does Taxi or F-14.

Have you played any pinball machines post-1987?

#84 10 years ago

Man, can't believe how a simple discussion of if a TV comedy would make a good pin, has gotten so heavy, BBT is a TV show folks, a sitcom meant to entertain you for 22 minutes, nothing more!

I'd really like to see a Big Bang Theory pin, first because I enjoy comedy in pins, and second because I really enjoy the show, I think it has more than enough signature sights and sounds to make a damn good game.

And in case you need any other reason:penny-black-dress-kaley-cuoco.jpgpenny-black-dress-kaley-cuoco.jpg

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

a sitcom meant to entertain you for 22 minutes

That's where it falls short.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

That's where it falls short.

It has about as much substance as Family Guy, Simpsons or any other sitcom you could make a pin out of. With a little twist on the art, the Strange Science pin could have made a really good Big Bang Theory pin.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

WOF, CSI and 24 were top rated/syndicated shows.
    TV show viewer demographics don't always translate to a good/desired pinball machine.
    Also, it's gaddamn awful.

You forgot X-Files.

#88 10 years ago

This thread reminds me of the days when Seinfeld and Home Improvement came on.
    My brother in law thought Home Improvement was the funniest show ever. No matter how much I told him that Seinfeld was destined to become a classic, he always insisted it would be the other way around.
    I quote Seinfeld on a daily basis.
    Same goes for Big Bang Theory. The show is today's Seinfeld.
    Would it make a great Pin? Who knows. If done right it could be a huge success.
    If they just slap the name on the backglass, throw in a few quotes for no reason except to have them, then it will fail.

#89 10 years ago

There is alot of opinion here, but I'm sure that "Sheldon is a lab accident away from being a supervillian" is a good concept for a Big Bang Pin. Defeat Sheldor, disprove his thesis, gain more prestige, etc. I think it would work. Culminate in the "Pyshics Bowl" and it might work. Thes episode where Penny and Sheldon square off would be a good premise for "Penny" mode - of course to beat Sheldon (in Penny Mode) you would have to "call his mom".

Each character has plenty of Sheldon encounters to use and it would be awesome to be taunted by Sheldon while your disproving his theory, calling his mom, getting a great parking spot....etc...so many possibilities.

#90 10 years ago

If you like this show, you have some serious issues.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

So why do you care, and why are you posting in this thread??

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Quoted from jlm33:

Oh shit, it's the Franco-Dutch War all over again.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

The topicstarter asked us, myself included, "why not?"

I dont care, thats true.

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

And in case you need any other reason:

penny-black-dress-kaley-cuoco.jp... 41 KB

Kaley pics on the game need to come from the first season. Lots more nips back then.

#95 10 years ago

i think penny is hot but it would be a crappy theme
    archer or futurama would be great, a lot to work with

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

To each their own...the fake nerds give me douche chills.
    There are tons of these youtube videos that remove the laugh track....it's pretty telling how unfunny it is when the fake laughter isn't there to goad you on
    » YouTube video

oh come on! You do that with ANY *studio audience* show you would get the same effect. Plus, you're jaded and hate most things :p

#97 10 years ago

I was doing okay and seeing all sides pretty good. Until Ben had to come in and throw dirt on my beloved x-files..... Why Ben, why???

Two years at PPE George Gomez hosted a group/collaborative design session. I tried to advance the idea of Big Bang Theory pinball at that time, knowing of course, how Stern feels about licenses. Then everyone tried to come up with an 'original' idea...... collectively, it turned out to be some multi-level haunted house variation.

So, I had some foreshadowing on how this thread would turn.... I would really love to see a TBBT pin, as I find the show hilarious. I think there's plenty of material to draw on for inspiration.

If there are any others I could get behind, it's Archer. Apologies while I plug a friends app: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/8c19edca-7cb4-4eb7-a77b-3e8814e797a4

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

WOF, CSI and 24 were top rated/syndicated shows.
    TV show viewer demographics don't always translate to a good/desired pinball machine.
    Also, it's gaddamn awful.

It's not the license that makes it awful, it's what the pinball companies do with it. Many collectors/players love games with horrible licenses (DM, The Shadow, Flintstones, BSD, Congo, JM), yet licenses that made a killing in the original media form are met with a luke-warm reception (Avatar, BDK, SW any version).

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you played any pinball machines post-1987?

I have indeed. I am saying modes are not a requirement for a pin to be good, in fact some later games have so much crap on them it is overwhelming...Just let me hit the ball at some objectives, I don't need DMD movies or selecting my own music to be good pinball. Lots of great pinball pre 1987.

#100 10 years ago

I agree with very few points in the article. I've been a fan of the show since it came on the air. Yes, there is a little too much making fun of each other and the stereotypes, but that is part of what all comedies do, Seinfeld did that extensively, as doest family guy, simpsons, friends, etc. And lets face it, we all do that as well with friends, when it is all in good fun, the key is not going beyond a certain point.

Anyone here who has not made jokes about themselves and others in the pinball subculture about their pinball addiction is lying or is (insert some "in fun" derogatory statement here). Of course in our PC society today, god forbid we laugh at ourselves or anyone else.

As far as pop references, to be honest, I suspect many of the ones in the show go over the heads of those are are not geeks/nerds/techies. For example, the reference in the one episode about 'watching firefly on fridays because it is going to be on for a long time' is only funny if you know the show and the history behind it, and lets face it, it is likely that only those like the guys in the show know that reference. I was unfamiliar with Firefly and it's history until a few weeks before the episode aired so I was in on the joke.

They have also done a good job of adding characters, helping the characters grow, and trying to expand what it does. Like any TV show, some will like it, some will love it, some will hate it and some won't care. I look forward to it each week. Not every episode is great, but I feel like I am hanging out with friends -- I guess that tells you about me.

As far as a pin, would be fun, but agree with others, don't see it being a great theme for one. But, a few good ideas here I need to figure out how to add to my custom pin (knock, knock, knock, penny, knock . . .)

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-bang-theory-pinball-machine-why-not/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.