(Topic ID: 12360)

The best wizard mode

By bigdaddy07

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

harry-potter-vs-voldemort.jpg

#1 12 years ago

I'm curious as to which pin has the best wizard mode. I haven't seen many but, my vote would be for LITZ. Again, I haven't seen but a few. I can't get to "attack Mars" on RFM. Been playing the fire out it lately but can only get 7 saucer lights then drained. I'm not sure what is the wizard on LOTR. Is it TABA? Not seen that yet either.

#2 12 years ago

TSPP Alien Invasion....best one that I've played so far..it might not be considered a wizard mode though...

One of the reasons I don't like RFM is because I found it to easy. I COMPLETELY finished it the 2nd day I had it...to many easy shots up the middle...boring layout...but it's a "pretty" game and the diagnostics and removal playfield are awesomesauce!

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm not sure what is the wizard on LOTR. Is it TABA? Not seen that yet either.

It's Valinor. TABA is really cool, but not the Wizard mode.

I've not gotten to many myself, but from the one's I've seen JM (power down) is my favorite. I also really like Battle Royale on SM, but that's just a mini-wizard mode. I've personally never been to Super Hero.

#4 12 years ago

I've only done sperm attack once on FGY but remember it being a blast. Dammit now I have to go play it so I can get it again and post a 2nd opinion. Brb...

#5 12 years ago

VJ on WH20 is one of the best.........not got there yet!

#6 12 years ago

AI on TSPP is probably better classified as a mini-wizard mode, one of five tasks to get to Super-Duper Mega Extreme Wizard mode...BUT, AI is definitely one of the most intense, difficult, goal oriented wizard modes....Most wizard modes are simple multiball affairs with multiple jackpots lit everywere. Pretty boring. You can trap multiple balls, and just start shooting jackpots. AI, requires that you lock 2, then 3, then 4 and then 5 balls without ever draining. After each lock, all the balls are spit out again. You get a short ball saver on each new lock number, but it is still brutal considering one of the locks on 4 and 5 ball need to be in the couch.

Mystery spot on TSPP is also a mini-wizard mode and very entertaining....I'd love to see someone on location playing that one Everybody would think you're a nut.

Another goal oriented wizard mode with specific ball shot sequences is CFTBL. You have to search the tunnels to find the creature and then save the girl...In the meantime try to spell CREATURE in the whirlpool.

#7 12 years ago

Yep I'm loving AI, and TSPP I've locked 4 of 5, but not 5 of 5 yet...still working on that damn pretzel multi too...

Shadow's final battle is fun, because it's so challenging, I've been 1 or 2 shots away from finishing it, but haven't managed to complete it yet. You have to make like 26 shots or something, and you get a long ball saver to start...

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

One of the reasons I don't like RFM is because I found it to easy

Man I must really suck then, cause it hands me my ass consistently. I do have mine set to hard on all the mode settings. I still don't see how you guys are getting to attack mars without collecting saucer lights. I think the only mode you can shoot up the middle and collect a saucer light on is alien abduction, all others require orbit and ramp shots??

Anyway I'd love to get my hands on a WH20 someday a try for VJ.

#9 12 years ago

I did collect all the lights, I'm just saying that alot of the game revolves around that jump ramp, not ALL of it.

I know the rules inside out, and I'm an above average player....I didn't say the game is easy for everyone...

#10 12 years ago

LITZ on TZ is great. For some reason I got to it 2 times in the last week after never getting to it for years. Still can't get the damm TEX Litz Champion high score removed. Some default.
    Despite breaking 1 billion.

VJ I have not got to but hear it great.

Got to give it up for TOTAN. Pretty unique as its not time based per say. You can beat the Genie to the one side then he can push you back to the other. Pretty cool.

WW is fun when you get all the cellar values. Not so much a wizard mode but cool

#11 12 years ago

The Final Battle on the Shadow.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

The Final Battle on The Shadow.

Hit every target, be done so many times, better in IJ.

I like CV, as there are 4 stages you have to complete, the game shutting down after beating one, and before starting the next. When you go through all the modes again, and to the final for a second time, it's different stages. May not be the best, but one of the most creative.

I like AI, but getting to AI isn't very hard, and once you figure out how to concentrate on locking the upper PF first with the ballsave on, beating it isn't very hard either (it's not easy, but not hard). There is no theatrical payoff either after beating it, kind of a rip, but given it's only a phase in the real wizard mode, I guess I can see why.

I also like JD. You have all the crime scenes lit, with multiple lights for each crime scene. I assume you have to hit all scenes, and all coloured crime modes for each scene. Very hard, and I have never won this.

May fav is my fav game, TAF. You get to go through all the modes again, one at a time, for one of the most involved wizard modes ever, which is something for one of the first wizard modes ever made.

#14 12 years ago

I love TAF as well, it was my first pin ever. I remember getting it the first time and I was beyond stoked hahah

#15 12 years ago

Stern Spiderman is prob the most in depth wiz mode out there. IJ and Shadow are good except they only involve hitting targets and not a combination of diff shots.

#16 12 years ago

I have a TZ and LITZ is fun. But for some reason I now like the Hole in One challenge on NGG. The music, SFX and light show is insane in that mode.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Still can't get the damm TEX Litz Champion high score removed.

Same problem here. I'm not sure what I need to do to get it removed since i got LITZ and beat that score.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same problem here. I'm not sure what I need to do to get it removed since i got LITZ and beat that score.

Shoot solely for the powerfield and score jackpots. Bashing the balls around during litz scores usually 200-300+, however with some good powerfield play, you can really jack that up. I think my high is somewhere in the high 400M. It's a random bashing though, and my last litz was my lowest ever at about 160m. There was a point where I had no balls in play haha.

Litz is like sex - hell of a lot of foreplay for 45 seconds of pure fun.

#19 12 years ago

Ahhh LITZ champion is the high score for LITZ only, not the score for your game. Now I understand why TEX won't go away. Thanks for the tip atomicboy! Owned this thing for a year and still learning.

#20 12 years ago

For LITZ, certain things, Powerfield Mania for example, carry over and count in your LITZ score. Score well in Powerfield Mania, and start LITZ on the same ball, instant headstart.

#21 12 years ago

Wow, lots of votes for LITZ. I absolutely love my TZ but no way does LITZ even come close to being the best wizard mode. It's a timed mode for goodness sake. It actually kinda sucks.

#22 12 years ago

LITZ doesnt go for long enough. SM wiz mode goes for quite a long time... Great value and points...

#23 12 years ago

Rule the Universe on AFM is a good one.

#24 12 years ago

+One BIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIOOOOONNNNN!!

#25 12 years ago

Not really a wizard mode, but stacking all three MB's on BSD is very satisfying and the 30 Million callouts are great.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Not really a wizard mode, but stacking all three MB's on BSD is very satisfying and the 30 Million callouts are great.

Definitely agree with that!

#27 12 years ago

RTU gets my vote. LITZ is just too easy to get. VJ is nice to get but is not a wizard mode.

#28 12 years ago

No idea if it's good or not but I'm dying to get to "Crime Wave" on DH. It's sooooo hard to get there. I always get within like 2 missions of it. I can't even really cheat by ball stalling because the timers pause when you do that. So sick of seeing "WAG" as the Crime Wave Champion (factory default initials).

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm curious as to which pin has the best wizard mode. I haven't seen many but, my vote would be for LITZ. Again, I haven't seen but a few. I can't get to "attack Mars" on RFM. Been playing the fire out it lately but can only get 7 saucer lights then drained. I'm not sure what is the wizard on LOTR. Is it TABA? Not seen that yet either.

Nothing beats Cirqus Voltaire's 3 tests to join the circus.

#30 12 years ago

SM very in depth mode was really cool. we cant leave out MM either, MB and IJ are up there.JT

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

tomdotcom said:One of the reasons I don't like RFM is because I found it to easy
    Man I must really suck then, cause it hands me my ass consistently. I do have mine set to hard on all the mode settings. I still don't see how you guys are getting to attack mars without collecting saucer lights. I think the only mode you can shoot up the middle and collect a saucer light on is alien abduction, all others require orbit and ramp shots??
    Anyway I'd love to get my hands on a WH20 someday a try for VJ.

You do not suck. Rfm is not that easy! You have to complete 6 modes flawlesslY just to get to the attack from mars.

Lotr gets my vote. The machine goes crazy when you destroy The ring. I'm buying a second lotr tomorrow.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

RTU gets my vote.

Seriously? I have never got to RTU and have not won it, 5B points is a given during the ball save alone. It's fun to get there, and a blast to play, but isn't in depth enough to be a great wizard mode IMO.

#33 12 years ago

AV8 - this is an excerpt from the RFM rulesheet
    "Specifically this is achieved by lighting all 9 Saucer lights, completing the Bonus Wave multiballs (Fuel, Saucer and Weapons), and getting Mothership Multiball. Once these have been completed, Attack Mars will light."

You can get saucer lights from SOL as well so, you would be right if 6 flawless plus 3 SOL bonus.
    I've been driven lately to get there. Fun and addictive game IMO.

Sorry for getting off topic.

#34 12 years ago

I think System Failure on JP is pretty neat.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I much prefer this to wizard modes, in general. I've only seen the wizard modes on TAF, TZ & JD but i must say i prefer JD's wizard mode to the other two.

#36 12 years ago

That is just becuase you drain immediately on TAF upon entering wiz mode

side note > I no longer have high score on TAF. I spent most of saturday tweaking things and ajusting the bookcase to be more in plane with the PF (so the vault shot would function properly) and then my buddy Adam tossed up a 408 mil to knock me off as the grand champ. SOB...

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

TaylorVA said:RTU gets my vote.
    Seriously? I have never got to RTU and have not won it, 5B points is a given during the ball save alone. It's fun to get there, and a blast to play, but isn't in depth enough to be a great wizard mode IMO.

+1 on this

RTU is fun but very easy & doesnt require much skill. Just keep the balls in play long enough & youll win. SM is very good with the 5 levels is has. IJ & TS are both nice. CV is good but pretty easy also.

#38 12 years ago

Is it too early to vote for Harry Potter???

harry-potter-vs-voldemort.jpgharry-potter-vs-voldemort.jpg

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Surprisingly, that would actually make a great wizard mode.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Attachments harry-potter-vs-voldemort.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 downloads) 8 minutes old

Good Luck ever seeing that wizard mode on a pinball machine.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Good Luck ever seeing that wizard mode on a pinball machine.

That's a shame. It would be a fantastic game. If the pin community can embrace a theme like WOZ, why not Harry Potter? So much that could be done with it and yes could have a great wizard mode.

#42 12 years ago

WH2O and the Vacation Jackpot is my Favorite. The best I've seen so far. Very original. Great for the player who gets it for the first time. There's nothing like the first Vacation Jackpot.....so don't give it away. Don't tell them what happens.....Let people find it on there own. They will be happy you did.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

smassa said:Good Luck ever seeing that wizard mode on a pinball machine.
    That's a shame. It would be a fantastic game. If the pin community can embrace a theme like WOZ, why not Harry Potter? So much that could be done with it and yes could have a great wizard mode.

Has nothing to do with the pin community not embracing a Potter pin. It's been on record that JK Rowling wants nothing to do with a Harry Potter pinball machine. I don't think she is desperate for money so I don't see it happening unless someone can changer her opinion.

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

TaylorVA said:RTU gets my vote.

Yes, seriously. "Its fun to get there and a blast to play" which is why I like it. I'm not looking to have my ass handed to me in a Wizard mode. It should be a reward not a punishment.

And once again, Vacation Jackpot is NOT a mode. I wish it was, would certainly make the game a no doubt a-list game but it isn't.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

I have a TZ and LITZ is fun. But for some reason I now like the Hole in One challenge on NGG. The music, SFX and light show is insane in that mode.

"No Choking, ahh!!"

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

VJ on WH20 is one of the best

I agree, most satisfying thing in pinball to date for me. Also, DH has a great wizard mode and SS's "stiff-o-meter" isn't difficult to start but fun and exciting to try and complete.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-wizard-mode?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.