7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

people_playing.jpg

#1 7 years ago

The best thing about pinball is sharing it with others.

My brother just spent some time at my house, and he's getting serious about looking for a pin of his own. His wife didn't seem to be very excited about the idea... until she played a few games of MB. Then she played a few more HOURS.

I had to work, and I came home Wednesday evening to find both of them in the gameroom. She was glowing with pride over a new personal best of 61M (all monsters except the bride). She then put me on the spot saying, "I want to see what happens when you get all the monsters." Lucklily, I was able to deliver. More big smiles!

#2 7 years ago

While I agree with that, the reason I got back into it is because its something I can do by myself. Used to love videography/making short movies. Nobody around where I live is into that. Its hard making something by yourself and if nobody else is into it, its even harder.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

She was glowing with pride over a new personal best of 61M (all monsters except the bride). She then put me on the spot saying, "I want to see what happens when you get all the monsters." Lucklily, I was able to deliver. More big smiles!

I don't consider myself a great pinball player. But I loved monster bash until the day I beat it (all monsters + all instruments). The game took about 45 minutes. After that, I never felt like playing it again. Ended up selling it.

#4 7 years ago

Love MB.Getting one soon.....need op handbook if any of y'all wanna part with one.Scott

#5 7 years ago

Live from Transylvania Square Garden...!

#6 7 years ago

The best thing about pinball is...

being able to own your own machine and have it in your house. Nothing beats that except...
    buying your second machine.

I was thinking about this the other day, that pinball machines are like your own time machine.

It has the ability to take you back to the time when you first played it, or the time when you first saw one, or the time when you first bought one.

It's a great feeling to have someone in your family see your pin(s) for the first time and they say
    "that is so cool". Put's a smile on my face every time.

#7 7 years ago

My god daughter interestingly enough is getting into old video games and pinball. I love when she comes over so I can share the joy.

#8 7 years ago

I find one of the best things about pinball is the satisfaction of fixing something on the machine.

#9 7 years ago

You guys hit it all. I love pinball because I can enjoy it by myself or with others. I love fixing my own toys. I love the retail therapy aspect of buying pins. I love how they are works of art in addition to being fun to play. I love stepping back in time to open an old NIB. I love having my four year old drag me to the arcade to play CV. Collecting them is a blast. What's not to like?

#10 7 years ago

...is the simple fact that, even though it is a finite space with finite rules, it still has unlimited ways to play/score.
    "The ball is WILD."

#11 7 years ago

The best feeling is when all your machines are being played at the same time. Last weekend my wife was such a hog on my latest game Theatre of Magic.

people_playing.jpg

Now I just need to do a few new outlet runs so that I can have more machines on at the same time without flippin' a breaker.

#12 7 years ago

Herg: Great thread you started. Although there is many different things to like about pinball, I agree that sharing it w/ others is probably the best.
    Fixing/playing/cleaning pinball machines is also high on the "best thing about pinball" list.
    Having your friend's wife warm up to pinball is definitely a good thing for both you & your friend.
    Ladies that are into pinball are usually pretty cool people (imho).
    Monster Bash is a great machine.

JWS64: Good post about pinball machines / time machines.
    Further to that, Check out this pinball machine: Time Machine, Data East 1988.
    Another "Time Machine" was by Zaccaria 1983.

#13 7 years ago

Knowing that I'm not going to lose my ass by owning them and in fact their value might even go up. It's so much better than putting my money in a bank earning 1% interest!

#14 7 years ago

For me it's the memories. Pinball takes me back to a much simpler time as a kid when I was just discovering and enjoying life with loved ones and friends.

#15 7 years ago

+1 on the sharing. I have always been a very social person, but since my friends and I have started collecting we have all been brought together even more. 3 out of 4 weekends hanging out is at someone's place who has machines to keep everyone entertained.

#16 7 years ago

for some reason, just sitting in my garage with the machines on in attract mode is just the best. I turn of the attract music, but i can just sit in there and watch the lights dance. Knowing that if the garage were full of players. it would be deafening!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Knowing that I'm not going to lose my ass by owning them and in fact their value might even go up. It's so much better than putting my money in a bank earning 1% interest!

+10000 to that!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

The best feeling is when all your machines are being played at the same time

+1.

#19 7 years ago

I agree with sharing with others is a really nice aspect of pinball. It warms my heart seeing my family/friends playing them and spending time together rather than each doing their own thing.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

The best thing about pinball is sharing it with others.
    My brother just spent some time at my house, and he's getting serious about looking for a pin of his own. His wife didn't seem to be very excited about the idea... until she played a few games of MB. Then she played a few more HOURS.
    I had to work, and I came home Wednesday evening to find both of them in the gameroom. She was glowing with pride over a new personal best of 61M (all monsters except the bride). She then put me on the spot saying, "I want to see what happens when you get all the monsters." Lucklily, I was able to deliver. More big smiles!

Love hearing stories like this!

Enjoy!

#21 7 years ago

Its a great feeling seeing all your pins played at once and people having fun, particularly when you are getting new people into the hobby.

#22 7 years ago

For me, pinball has always had the upper hand over vids because of the infinite variation... the fact that every game's different, as rubber and mech's wear you have to adjust your timing, it's the real physical world... that and many other factors too long and boring to list makes pinball way superior to other arcade games...

#23 7 years ago

The best feeling of pinball is when you find a pin that you want so badly and end up buying it.

#24 7 years ago

Back in the mid 90's in Charlotte NC there was an arcade at Eastland Mall. (now closed down and boarded up, the entire mall!)

They had alot of pins, probably 10-15 of them. Demolition Man, Twilight Zone, Addams Family,
    Judge Dredd, T2, and others I can't remember.

The place was pretty much always packed. They had arcades machines, but I always seemed to gravitate to the pins, especially T2. It was during this time that the movie had been released and GnR's "you will be mine" song and video got huge amounts of airplay on radio and MTV.

At one point in time Eastland Mall was the largest mall in NC. It's all gone now. The building is still there, just not enough business to keep the doors open. But I still have great memories of going to that arcade and playing those pins. Good times...

#25 7 years ago

I really enjoy meeting other pinheads in the area that I have never met. So many of them turn out to be very cool!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.95
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.99
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    $ 299.00
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside