(Topic ID: 243331)

The best Stern software update of all-time is...

By snaroff

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by snaroff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Took delivery of my KISS Premium 8/2015.

Loved the vibe of paying homage to the original and loved the flow and tough orientation of many of the shots (in fact, the only "easy" shot is the center shot...all other shots are tight and/or dangerous). Despite loving the shot layout and vibe, didn't get played much...just felt unfinished.

Over 3 years later, KISS v1.40 (11/2018) "kills it" with a stunning update. I've been playing it a lot and it's awesome. The 15 city combos, extra wizard modes and tons of polish make this one of Stern's best rock-and-roll pins (with the awareness that KISS haters may have a tough time agreeing

With all the talk of Stern releasing unfinished software, I wanted to thank Stern for not giving up on this game. I'd love to know the "back story" of who pulled this off and what the motivation was. In terms of software updates, it's clearly a standout.

What other software updates are in this category of "game changer"? I've heard BM66 received a great update, but it didn't take over 3 years! In that regard, it seems like KISS is a real outlier. If you haven't played the game since the update, you should give it another look!

#2 4 years ago

Ghostbusters will be.... Any day now

#3 4 years ago

Batman TDK, it was a dog out of the box.
it took a while but it is a good game now

#4 4 years ago

X-Men code is really well done now.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Ghostbusters will be.... Any day now

I'm not holding my breath.

MY replacement playfield was installed in October, 2017. It still hasn't seen a single ball played on it.

#6 4 years ago

Metallica update that implemented the CIU modes.

#7 4 years ago

DEADPOOL. PERIOD.

And Metallica

#8 4 years ago

How about TWD??? pretty hard to beat its code.

#9 4 years ago

I would have to say from personal experience Kiss. It was killer how they incorporated the cities. The light show is amazing.

#11 4 years ago

SW's was a shallow & stale bummer when first released. The playfield was quite barren, as the only plus going for it was the Steve Richie flow. Now this title has incredible theme integration, fantastic mode orientation & every game is a different adventure w/ numerous strategies.

As w/ most titles SW's could use some slight tweak in regards to the code, but as of now this title rocks. This machine never gets boring & old, as playing it is just pure pinball at it's finest every time!

#12 4 years ago

TWD
Metallica
X-Men
Deadpool
Kiss
Aerosmith
Star Trek
Just Waiting for that Ghostbusters and Munsters code now.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

SW's was a shallow & stale bummer when first released. The playfield was quite barren, as the only plus going for it was the Steve Richie flow. Now this title has incredible theme integration, fantastic mode orientation & every game is a different adventure w/ numerous strategies.
As w/ most titles SW's could use some slight tweak in regards to the code, but as of now this title rocks. This machine never gets boring & old, as playing it is just pure pinball at it's finest every time!

Hmm. I was unaware of this. I picked up my STLE in 10/2017, which was really close to the 1.0 release in 12/1017.

I don't think the PF is barren, but you are likely talking about the Pro. They hyperdrive mech is incredibly cool.

#14 4 years ago

If you read through the many SW's post the concensus was that the playfield was too open & code was lacking. I played when SW's was first launched & was ready to purchase but passed for the reason stated above. I originally played the pro, but have had the premium for quite some time now. This title has certainly come a long way & yes, the hyperdrive loop is phenomenal!

#15 4 years ago

Since this was Stern updates, you have to seriously consider GOTG. The early software releases were so bad it almost killed this pin.

#16 4 years ago

ok...so Deadpool, GOTG, MET, SW, MET all had great updates. Looks like most/all were done within 1 year of being released.

Seems like the 3-year bake period for the KISS update is unique. Would be great to hear how it unfolded and who did the heavy lifting.

FWIW, the AS update was minimal when compared with the KISS update. The AS ruleset is much simpler than KISS. Really like both bands, but from my perspective, KISS is a much more interesting game. AS is entertaining, but not a compelling game at all.

#17 4 years ago

I wonder if one of the new coders did the KISS update and Lonnie just supervised.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I wonder if one of the new coders did the KISS update and Lonnie just supervised.

Lyman did “some” cleanup on a later Kiss update, as also WWE.

#19 4 years ago

Twd and Met

Deadpool is almost there , Its the next game on my buy list. C'mon $$$$

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Twd and Met
Deadpool is almost there , Its the next game on my buy list. C'mon $$$$

Dude, I mentioned in the last 2 weeks that Deadpool is “the new RBION”. I’ll stick with that, damned the critics. That game was WEAK until code matured and now it’s VERY addicting

#22 4 years ago

For Sure Metallica and Walking Dead.
Guardians was also brought out of the ashes with some much needed coding.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hmm. I was unaware of this. I picked up my STLE in 10/2017, which was really close to the 1.0 release in 12/1017.
I don't think the PF is barren, but you are likely talking about the Pro. They hyperdrive mech is incredibly cool.

I think you mean sWle?

#24 4 years ago

BM66 - great game now

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think you mean sWle?

Correct...typo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-stern-software-update-of-all-time-is?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.