View topic image gallery

IMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpg
ca0ff3ee1ad2332ab131ad3116380c3e (resized).jpg
IMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpg
EA532748-3664-449E-A64B-A9A588BFE5EC-3383-0000061BD8BC7EBB.png
IMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpg
parks (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider screaminr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Planning on eventually going to the US to check out some theme parks and roller coasters . From checking out YouTube , Cedar Point and steel Vengeance look like a must-do . What are your favourites , recommendations and they don't have to be in the US . Any hints or tips on best times to go , days of the week , where the stay , fast passes , ect would be good to hear . Apologies if similar threads have been done , I couldn't find any .

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

When you get to Cedar Point, I’d also recommend Millennium Force.

Don't worry about that ! I plan on spending AT LEAST a couple of days there , to give them all a good go . How many days do you think are needed to really check out the whole Park properly .

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Screaminr,
Some great sites to help you in your research;
1) If you want to know where any roller coaster is, anywhere, start with the Roller Coaster Database ( https://rcdb.com ). Completely searchable, and has links to park sites as well as maps
2) If you're curious about what us coaster crazies think is the "best", there are several Top 10/25/100 lists to look at (be sure to look at both Steel and Wood polls);
- https://coasterbuzz.com/RollerCoasters/Top100
- https://www.ellocoaster.com/poll-results
- https://coasterpoll.com/results
These are the rankings by people (like me) that travel all around the world just to ride these damn things. The poll algorithms are pretty well done, and rank coasters based on mutual comparisons (I rode "A" and "B", and found "A" to be better, etc.).
If you're interested in more of a "general public" type of poll (which winds up being more Popularity than anything elsey), check these out;
- http://goldenticketawards.com/2019-gta-winners/
- https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2017/09/07/12-most-thrilling-roller-coasters-usa/638289001/
3) If you're looking for what's coming soon, a great aggregator of amusement park/coaster rumors is http://screamscape.com/
Place tells you a lot about what's going on in the industry.
4) For details on visiting each individual park, my best suggestion would be to look through Trip Reports from places like https://coasterbuzz.com/ or https://www.themeparkreview.com/. Lots of folks do write ups about their experiences in each park, and you can gain a lot of insight reading their commentary.
Of course, if you have any specific questions, you can just post it here, and I can hopefully point you in the right direction!
Later,
EV

Thanks so much Echo Victor , I will go through all the links . It will take me a while to save up enough money to do it right , considering our dollar . As this is the only social media I do , I like to hear all the pinsiders opinions and get advice like yours . 99% of pinsiders are very nice and helpful . And I rate their opinion higher than random people of the internet (even though that's silly ) . I will definitely get back to you if I need to ask any extra questions .

#51 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'd recommend three days given what I understand about your goals:
Day 1: Tour the entire park and get a good lay of the land. Be sure to make at least one complete tour from opening to closing. Along the way, ride anything and everything you like that doesn't have an hour+ line in addition to anything you'd gladly wait that hour+ for. Back in your room that night, get out the park map and plan ...
Day 2: Identify all your must-do's and work out the best way to hit them all, allowing for on-the-spot repeats and the route you'll take to hit them. Then think about how you will do ...
Day 3: Hit only your most favorites. Ride them as many times as you can whether that's in multiple on-the-spot re-rerides or you set up a tour of just your ultimate favorites and keep repeating until closing. FYI: one my friends went there last year and ended up riding Millennium Force 17 times in a single day. He'd do a couple of on-the-spot re-rides at every stop on his favorites tour and then repeat that tour, often eliminating some in subsequent loops so he could ride his ultra-ultra-favorites even more.
Three tips for Cedar Point:
a. Mondays through Fridays are the least busy days as you might expect. Do note that Mondays and Fridays can be slightly busier since many folks will make it a long weekend by adding one or both days to their trip. And don't forget to account for US holidays.
b. Be sure to have your bug/mosquito repellent with you (there's ... ahem ... a little fresh water around Cedar Point) but make sure that you ride plenty of the coasters at night. It's naturally the same ride, but it's a different and cool experience.
c. Best advice I can give to make your daily experience as good as it can be: Cedar Point is on a peninsula in Lake Erie. So overall the park is long and narrow. So be at the gate when the park opens. Once you're in, ignore everything else and get to the far end of the park furthest from the main gate as soon as you can. Steel Vengeance is at that end. You will be able to ride it several times before the crowds get there - because the majority of people will stop at other things along the way. Then work your way back towards the front of the park to hit other coasters and stuff. These will be things that a lot of the guests will have already rode as they were heading to the opposite end of the park. After that, you're on your own to revisit anything you want.

That sounds like a great plan of attack .

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

It has been amazing to me as a coaster enthusiast at how these two hobbies seem to mend together. I know several other coaster enthusiasts that are also pinball collectors. Pretty cool!

Theme parks and pinball go hand in hand , they bring back fond memories of your childhood and I always remember pinballs being in the amusement parks over here .
I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread regarding either theme parks or roller coasters , maybe there are some but no one has pointed out any and in all the years I've looked at pinside I've never seen any .

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Here is an itinerary for you to hit four major parks in one trip:
Day 1: Melbourne to LA, LA to St. Louis
Day 2: Six Flags St. Louis
Day: 3/4 Holiday World
Day: 5/6 Kings Island
Day: 7/8 Cedar Point
Day: 9 Cleveland to LA, LA to Melbourne
Only about 3-4 hours between parks by car. Add in Days of rest as you see fit![quoted image]

Thanks ReadyPO for going to all that effort , who needs a travel agent when I have people like you .

#62 4 years ago

I've been watching a lot of Theme Park Worldwide videos . He is young English bloke who is really enthusiastic , knows what he's talking about and has videos from theme parks / amusement parks from all over the world . He also shows videos from travelling from park to park and what the accommodation is like . Does anyone have any other recommendations for theme park , roller coaster channels on YouTube

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

My son has a channel where he reviews coasters. He is an extreme enthusiast but we have not been to as many parks as some of the other youtubers. We do have Magic Mountain and Knott's coming up in March.
Here is a link to his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzW6_DrFdkcCgis0viovL8A

I will be sure to look that up

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

It depends on the time, schedule, goals and financial resources screaminr has for the trip. Given the significant travel distance to just get to the U.S. and the large number of parks worth seeing, those factors will have to be balanced accordingly. Plus it might be wise to take Saturdays and Sundays off not only to avoid the most crowded days, but also to schedule intentional downtime. Don’t want to burn yourself out with an “always on” plan. I’d even suggest arriving in the U.S. on a Saturday and then taking the rest of that Saturday and all day Sunday off just to deal with jet lag, time zone change, etc. Then dive into your first park on Monday.

It will take me a while to get enough money together but this is all research and good information . I like how people are putting up what to do in different states and giving a lot of options to consider ,we also want to do some of the normal stuff look around LA or New York depending on what ends up having the most interest . Looks like we will end up needing to do a few trips US . Also this is great information to anyone else planning on doing a similar trip .

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

So for PoV’s Theme Park Review is very good (you just have to accept the guy’s “Weeeeeeee” through most of them). He has a lot of older videos on coasters that are now defunct and newer ones he usually does multi angles and typically hard mounted. Also for oddball Asian coasters you’ve never heard of MiyaPA Masane has some incredible videos.
I’d also HIGHLY recommend Defunctland and Expedition Theme Park for history videos. Both similar in content, different in delivery, but great.

Thanks for that , always good to have some more videos to watch during my lunch break and when the wife is watching her reality crap.

1 week later
#82 4 years ago

The coroner released his report on the incident that killed 4 people on the thunder rapids River Ride at Dreamworld Aus . Basically they got slack with a ride that have been running for 30 years . Hopefully all other parks will take this as a warning to keep your eye on the ball .

IMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpgIMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpg
#84 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just like when Disney under that moron ex-GAP CEO Pressler went from scheduled preventative maintenance and parts replacement to "replace only when needed" and killed people on Thunder Mountain Railroad. Disney had it right for decades before he got there, but his extensive experience in denim told him there was a better way...and people died.

Cutting corners to save some money doesn't pay off when something happens and you can be sued for millions .

2 weeks later
#86 4 years ago

This is the best we have in Melbourne , it's nothing compared to the big ones but it is the second oldest roller coaster in the world .

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Yes, the guy standing is the brakeman.

According to Wikipedia it's one of 7 roller coasters that still use a brake man .

3 weeks later
#92 4 years ago
IMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#97 3 years ago

This thread is slowly going to open up . For health and safety please keep your posts at least 2 minutes apart .

1 month later
#100 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Just a note to roller coaster fans. Lakemont Park, home of the world's oldest roller coaster is open this summer. And Leap the Dips is ready. The rides are open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays thru August.
If your traveling thru Central PA, you can knock that one off your list.

Luna Park Melbourne has also reopened . Home of the world's second oldest roller coaster .

IMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpgIMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#101 3 years ago

Great to see some parks are opening up .
( done responsibly )

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider screaminr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-rollercoasters-and-theme-parks-?tu=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.