View topic image gallery

IMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpg
ca0ff3ee1ad2332ab131ad3116380c3e (resized).jpg
IMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpg
EA532748-3664-449E-A64B-A9A588BFE5EC-3383-0000061BD8BC7EBB.png
IMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpg
parks (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'd recommend three days given what I understand about your goals:
Day 1: Tour the entire park and get a good lay of the land. Be sure to make at least one complete tour from opening to closing. Along the way, ride anything and everything you like that doesn't have an hour+ line in addition to anything you'd gladly wait that hour+ for. Back in your room that night, get out the park map and plan ...
Day 2: Identify all your must-do's and work out the best way to hit them all, allowing for on-the-spot repeats and the route you'll take to hit them. Then think about how you will do ...
Day 3: Hit only your most favorites. Ride them as many times as you can whether that's in multiple on-the-spot re-rerides or you set up a tour of just your ultimate favorites and keep repeating until closing. FYI: one my friends went there last year and ended up riding Millennium Force 17 times in a single day. He'd do a couple of on-the-spot re-rides at every stop on his favorites tour and then repeat that tour, often eliminating some in subsequent loops so he could ride his ultra-ultra-favorites even more.
Three tips for Cedar Point:
a. Mondays through Fridays are the least busy days as you might expect. Do note that Mondays and Fridays can be slightly busier since many folks will make it a long weekend by adding one or both days to their trip. And don't forget to account for US holidays.
b. Be sure to have your bug/mosquito repellent with you (there's ... ahem ... a little fresh water around Cedar Point) but make sure that you ride plenty of the coasters at night. It's naturally the same ride, but it's a different and cool experience.
c. Best advice I can give to make your daily experience as good as it can be: Cedar Point is on a peninsula in Lake Erie. So overall the park is long and narrow. So be at the gate when the park opens. Once you're in, ignore everything else and get to the far end of the park furthest from the main gate as soon as you can. Steel Vengeance is at that end. You will be able to ride it several times before the crowds get there - because the majority of people will stop at other things along the way. Then work your way back towards the front of the park to hit other coasters and stuff. These will be things that a lot of the guests will have already rode as they were heading to the opposite end of the park. After that, you're on your own to revisit anything you want.

That sounds like a great plan of attack .

#52 4 years ago

We used to camp at Kings island (they took out the campground a number of years ago) . The best time to go always seemed to be first thing Sunday morning. be in when they open. We were able to get off and on on a number of coaster every time.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Calling andhart120

I’m surprised at all the responses! It has been amazing to me as a coaster enthusiast at how these two hobbies seem to mend together. I know several other coaster enthusiasts that are also pinball collectors. Pretty cool!

I have been doing coaster trips for over 20 years now, so I’ll have to list some favorites just like the others!

Here is a BIG tip regarding Cedar Point. Sigh. This place has been my favorite for years. However, last year they decided to start offering tons of discounted tickets and discounted season passes. Though this is great that it gives people who may not have been able to afford to go before a chance, it has made the park more crowded than ever before. If you go, you need to go as early as possible and knock out a ride or two before the lines get real long. Cedar Point has always drawn huge crowds with long lines but the difference now is the implementation of the fast lane system which allows people to skip the lines by paying $100+ on top of their ticket price. Due to this, the lines move much slower than they used to because you have so many people paying to skip the regular line. Please give yourself a few days here if you go. Get there early, and head to Steel Vengeance first which is currently my favorite coaster then immediately go to Maverick which is right next to it. Maverick can have downtime issues and due to this and the slow moving line this can be one of the longest waits in the park (besides Steel Vengeance).

Two parks with probably the best all round package in the USA: Dollywood & Silver Dollar City. Not the most rides by any means but both parks each have one of the best wooden coasters out there (Lightning Rod, Outlaw Run). They also have friendly employees, great food, wonderful locations, and good shows if that’s your thing.

Classics: Check out Knoebels and Kennywood in PA. I saw others mention these so I won’t rehash everything.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg- Great selection of rides, theming, food.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay- Some of the best coasters in the country and all with short waits if you go at the right time.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas- This to me is the best Six Flags park. It doesn’t feel like a Six Flags park it’s so much more. The Park President is THE best and cares about everything and everyone.

Holiday World- The best 1,2,3 punch for wood coasters. Free parking. Free soft drinks. Free sunscreen. Huge water park with awesome water coasters.

Kings Island- Several great coasters including the classic Beast wooden coaster. New this year is Orion, a steel coaster with a 300’ drop which is sure to be great. This park has improved so much over the last decade!

Other favorites:

Hersheypark
Six Flags Great Adventure
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Carowinds (Fury 325 is REAL good!)
Six Flags over Georgia

I left out the Disney parks and Universal which I also highly recommend but not so much for large coaster thrills (even though there are some). I’m sure im forgetting something!

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I’m surprised at all the responses! It has been amazing to me as a coaster enthusiast at how these two hobbies seem to mend together. I know several other coaster enthusiasts that are also pinball collectors. Pretty cool!
I have been doing coaster trips for over 20 years now, so I’ll have to list some favorites just like the others!
Here is a BIG tip regarding Cedar Point. Sigh. This place has been my favorite for years. However, last year they decided to start offering tons of discounted tickets and discounted season passes. Though this is great that it gives people who may not have been able to afford to go before a chance, it has made the park more crowded than ever before. If you go, you need to go as early as possible and knock out a ride or two before the lines get real long. Cedar Point has always drawn huge crowds with long lines but the difference now is the implementation of the fast lane system which allows people to skip the lines by paying $100+ on top of their ticket price. Due to this, the lines move much slower than they used to because you have so many people paying to skip the regular line. Please give yourself a few days here if you go. Get there early, and head to Steel Vengeance first which is currently my favorite coaster then immediately go to Maverick which is right next to it. Maverick can have downtime issues and due to this and the slow moving line this can be one of the longest waits in the park (besides Steel Vengeance). I love Millennium Force but even though I love it I find it to be the most overhyped ride. It is 20 years old this year and people still claim it to be the best coaster. I thought it was the best 20 years ago. 19 years ago, I liked something else more. Again great ride, just not the best i if you have been around a lot. That’s just my opinion though.
Two parks with probably the best all round package in the USA: Dollywood & Silver Dollar City. Not the most rides by any means but both parks have one of the best wooden coasters out there. They also have friendly employees, great food, wonderful location, and good shows if that’s your thing.
Classics: Check out Knoebels and Kennywood in PA. I saw others mention these so I won’t rehash everything.
Busch Gardens Williamsburg- Great selection of rides, theming, food.
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay- Some of the best coasters in the country and all with short waits if you go at the right time.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas- This to me is the best Six Flags park. It doesn’t feel like a Six Flags park it’s so much more. The Park President is THE best and cares about everything and everyone.
Holiday World- The best 1,2,3 punch for wood coasters. Free parking. Free soft drinks. Free sunscreen. Huge water park with awesome water coasters.
Kings Island- Several great coasters including the classic Beast wooden coaster. New this year is Orion, a steel coaster with a 300’ drop which is sure to be great. This park has improved so much over the last decade!
Other favorites:
Hersheypark
Six Flags Great Adventure
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Carowinds (Fury 325 is REAL good!)
Six Flags over Georgia
I left out the Disney parks and Universal which I also highly recommend but not so much for large coaster thrills (even though there are some). I’m sure im forgetting something!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

It has been amazing to me as a coaster enthusiast at how these two hobbies seem to mend together. I know several other coaster enthusiasts that are also pinball collectors. Pretty cool!

Theme parks and pinball go hand in hand , they bring back fond memories of your childhood and I always remember pinballs being in the amusement parks over here .
I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread regarding either theme parks or roller coasters , maybe there are some but no one has pointed out any and in all the years I've looked at pinside I've never seen any .

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Here is an itinerary for you to hit four major parks in one trip:
Day 1: Melbourne to LA, LA to St. Louis
Day 2: Six Flags St. Louis
Day: 3/4 Holiday World
Day: 5/6 Kings Island
Day: 7/8 Cedar Point
Day: 9 Cleveland to LA, LA to Melbourne
Only about 3-4 hours between parks by car. Add in Days of rest as you see fit![quoted image]

Thanks ReadyPO for going to all that effort , who needs a travel agent when I have people like you .

#57 4 years ago

Are you looking to do an all coaster trip or interested in other stuff too? If so you might be better off hanging along the coast rather than the mid-west. How many weeks are you thinking? That would be a long haul for 1 week. Seems like most friends that have taken a trip to Australia or NZ spent at least 2 weeks there.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Planning on eventually going to the US to check out some theme parks and roller coasters . From checking out YouTube , Cedar Point and steel Vengeance look like a must-do . What are your favourites , recommendations and they don't have to be in the US . Any hints or tips on best times to go , days of the week , where the stay , fast passes , ect would be good to hear . Apologies if similar threads have been done , I couldn't find any .

Cedar Point is THE Best amusement park! 2 days is what you will need. Been going here my whole life. Been all over the world and this park is worth the low ticket cost for all you can ride.

#59 4 years ago

I just finished booking my son's and my first "big boy" trip after years of doing WDW. Last year at WDW we did a day at Busch Gardens Tampa and thoroughly loved it. I hadn't been there since ~1995 and though he wouldn't go on the bigger rides (Kumba, Sheikra, Montu) we loved rides like Cheetah Hunt and Cobra Curse. It made the subsequent days on rides like Thunder Mountain a bit boring, though we love going.

We have Six Flags New England locally and this year he did all the big kid rides (Batman, Riddler, Wicked Cyclone which is amazing, Superman...etc.) so in April we're going to do our first "non-Disney" Disney trip as we're hitting all the parks that aren't Disney - Busch, Universal, Islands, and Seaworld.

Having said that, I can't stress enough how good of a value Busch/Seaworld is compared to Universal. Our one day at Busch last year was a package that included a stay at a nice hotel down the road with a decent breakfast included, parking at the park, and both of our tickets included. Package price was $205. If you figure the hotel was about $150, parking was $25, and having a similar breakfast would be about $25, basically park admission was free.

Universal is a must for us as we're in the last Harry Potter book, and there's a closing window for an 11yr old wanting to run around with his dad with magic wands. So I booked a 3-night, 4-day package at Universal's Royal Pacific (3rd time I'll have stayed there) with park-to-park tickets for 4 days. I opted for the Royal Pacific because it comes with their unlimited FastPass free (included only from their top 3 hotels). We are going during my son's April vacation and I don't want to wait in lines. I also checked out their value resorts, but after you add in the Universal Express pass, it's virtually negligible in cost, so why not stay at the premium resort and be next to the CityWalk.

The Universal package was stupid expensive, and realized it was cheaper to go Mon-Thurs vs. the Wed-Sat I was planning so I went for the cheaper days. Still, the 3-night stay, 4-day ticket w/ park hopper and the included unlimited FastPass cost a whopping $2550! I'm still ok with it because it's going to be a blast and we will have those memories forever.

Meanwhile, our Busch package I got for the rest of the trip reminded me of their incredible value. We're staying down the road from Busch at a very nice hotel from Fri-Mon and will go to Busch Sat-Sun. Also included is their basic FastPass which gives 1 cut per ride per day. There are enough rides there that this is ok with me, especially with 2 days there. Also included is breakfast, parking at the park, AND A 14 DAY PASS to both Busch and SeaWorld. This means now our last day or two at SeaWorld after Universal are included and they also include the basic FastPass there. Total package for the 3 nights hotel, the 14 day ticket over 2 parks with basic FastPass was only about $700. When I add on a hotel for the time after Universal when we'll be at SeaWorld, it's about $1000 total.

For thrill seekers going to FL, Busch/Seaworld is a no-brainer. Between Kumba, Montu, Cheetah, Sheikra, the new Iron Gwazi (hopefully open when there), and a bunch of other rides at Busch, and Mako, Manta, Kraken, and the new Ice Breaker (also hopefully open) at SeaWorld, that's a ton of thrill rides. Then factor that I'm basically spending $1000 for 5 nights and a bunch of days in the parks with the FastPass and other perks, that's a killer value. Meanwhile I'm spending 2.5x that for half the time at Universal and would've been even more if I chose the days I initially planned instead of the Mon-Thurs I chose. Fuck, Harry Potter allows Universal to rake me over the coals.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Cedar Point is THE Best amusement park! 2 days is what you will need. Been going here my whole life. Been all over the world and this park is worth the low ticket cost for all you can ride.

Another thing this (obviously biased) Sandusky native has always like about Cedar Point is that it's NOT a theme park. While there are some individual rides and areas that are themed (most generically instead of with a particular brand), the park itself is not themed - Cedar Point is its own brand. The closest thing I've ever heard to a theme was the phrase you'll hear the ride operators say when they tell you that Cedar Point is "America's Roller Coast." That's my favorite theme of all.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wildcat is batshit crazy.

This thing will jar your bones and loosen your fillings. Definitely a nice variety of coasters at Hershey park. Great bear is also an awesome "ski lift" style one like Alpengeist in Busch gardens.
Like others around pa I have to give a shout out to Kneobels. The family not only runs a world class operation with small town charm, they operate a wood mill that provided the lumber for, and built themselves, the twister and flying turns.

#62 4 years ago

I've been watching a lot of Theme Park Worldwide videos . He is young English bloke who is really enthusiastic , knows what he's talking about and has videos from theme parks / amusement parks from all over the world . He also shows videos from travelling from park to park and what the accommodation is like . Does anyone have any other recommendations for theme park , roller coaster channels on YouTube

#63 4 years ago

My son has a channel where he reviews coasters. He is an extreme enthusiast but we have not been to as many parks as some of the other youtubers. We do have Magic Mountain and Knott's coming up in March.

Here is a link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzW6_DrFdkcCgis0viovL8A

#64 4 years ago

Knoebels in central pa is really nice as well

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

My son has a channel where he reviews coasters. He is an extreme enthusiast but we have not been to as many parks as some of the other youtubers. We do have Magic Mountain and Knott's coming up in March.
Here is a link to his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzW6_DrFdkcCgis0viovL8A

I will be sure to look that up

#66 4 years ago

Pennsylvania has a fantastic mix of new and classic coasters amongst its parks

Kennywood just built Sreel Curtain with the world's tallest inversion, but they also have Phantoms Revenge. And 3 classic woodies.

Just north of Kennywood is Conneaut Lake park, home of Blue Streak. A classic woodie with an attitude. Great coaster with a Century Flyer train.

Even further north in Erie is Waldameer, home of Ravine Flyer II and a few other coasters

Hershey is set to open Candymonium this year to compliment their other 14 coasters. Grear variety here, but can get crowded

Knoebels had the best wooden coaster Phoenix, an airtime machine. They also have Twister, Impulse, Black Diamond and the only wooden bobsled coaster Flying Turns.

You have the worlds oldest opersting coaster at Lakemont park in Altoona. Leap the Dips, a must for all coaster enthusiasts. You can also catch Skyliner here, John Allen's first full size coaster. You catch mega air out of the first drop!

Cant forget Dorney Park in Allentown and also Dutch Wonderland near Hershey/Lancaster area.

#67 4 years ago

I've been to most of the parks in USA, except Lagoon. My count is 425 coasters.

If traveling from abroad, I think you need to establish how many "other things" you want to do and how long you are wanting this adventure to last. Cedar Point is my personal favorite, as Millennium Force, Maverick, and Steel Vengeance are absolutely amazing. For me, the top four parks are Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, Islands of Adventure, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Best Single City/State Trips:

1. LA - Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Seaworld San Diego.
2. Orlando - Universal Studios and IOA, Seaworld Orlando, Bush Gardens Tampa, Fun Spot Kissimmee, Fun Spot Orlando, and Disney World.
3. New York City - Much more driving but you could realistically do Six Flags Great Adventure and New England, Lake Compounce, Coney Island (Luna Park), Rye Playland only if you have extra time. I put this on here not for the coasters, but because you can experience NYC while also hitting some good coasters.

Best USA Crazy Road Trips:

1. Chicago to New York City: You can get Six Flags Great America, Cedar Point, maybe holiday world, maybe kings island, anything in PA that others have mentioned (Knoebles is the must), ending with New York City area.
2. New York City - South on I95 to Charlotte or on to Atlanta: You could do Six Flags Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg (the gem here), Carowinds (Awesome collection), maybe dollywood, maybe six flags Georgia.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Don't worry about that ! I plan on spending AT LEAST a couple of days there , to give them all a good go . How many days do you think are needed to really check out the whole Park properly .

I think two would be more than enough time.

Cedar Point has a sister park here in Charlotte called Carowinds. While it doesn't quite measure up to Cedar Point in the volume of rides it does have some that are world-class in the Fury 325a and Intimidator.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think two would be more than enough time.
Cedar Point has a sister park here in Charlotte called Carowinds. While it doesn't quite measure up to Cedar Point in the volume of rides it does have some that are world-class in the Fury 325a and Intimidator.

It depends on the time, schedule, goals and financial resources screaminr has for the trip. Given the significant travel distance to just get to the U.S. and the large number of parks worth seeing, those factors will have to be balanced accordingly. Plus it might be wise to take Saturdays and Sundays off not only to avoid the most crowded days, but also to schedule intentional downtime. Don’t want to burn yourself out with an “always on” plan. I’d even suggest arriving in the U.S. on a Saturday and then taking the rest of that Saturday and all day Sunday off just to deal with jet lag, time zone change, etc. Then dive into your first park on Monday.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

It depends on the time, schedule, goals and financial resources screaminr has for the trip. Given the significant travel distance to just get to the U.S. and the large number of parks worth seeing, those factors will have to be balanced accordingly. Plus it might be wise to take Saturdays and Sundays off not only to avoid the most crowded days, but also to schedule intentional downtime. Don’t want to burn yourself out with an “always on” plan. I’d even suggest arriving in the U.S. on a Saturday and then taking the rest of that Saturday and all day Sunday off just to deal with jet lag, time zone change, etc. Then dive into your first park on Monday.

It will take me a while to get enough money together but this is all research and good information . I like how people are putting up what to do in different states and giving a lot of options to consider ,we also want to do some of the normal stuff look around LA or New York depending on what ends up having the most interest . Looks like we will end up needing to do a few trips US . Also this is great information to anyone else planning on doing a similar trip .

#71 4 years ago

Cedar Fair offers a platinum annual pass, which allows entry to all of their parks for a season. It’s rather inexpensive, depending on how many days you have for doing parks. One summer, we left home after work, Arrived in Cincinnati in time to sleep and do Kings island in the morning for the day. We then drove to Carowinds for a day at that park. Kings Dominion was next up on the trip, then we circled back to Cedar Point on the way home. On travel days, the passes allowed for evening entry to look around the park, try a few rides, and set up a game plan for the next full day. Depending on your travel itinerary, they have a really good set of parks, spread across the country.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Hypercoaster:

I've been to most of the parks in USA, except Lagoon. My count is 425 coasters.

2. New York City - South on I95 to Charlotte or on to Atlanta: You could do Six Flags Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg (the gem here), Carowinds (Awesome collection), maybe dollywood, maybe six flags Georgia.

You could slip in the DC area six flags also, the Wild One is a very good ride and there's a couple other things of note. Kind of a dump, usually zero lines, worth stopping by.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I've been watching a lot of Theme Park Worldwide videos . He is young English bloke who is really enthusiastic , knows what he's talking about and has videos from theme parks / amusement parks from all over the world . He also shows videos from travelling from park to park and what the accommodation is like . Does anyone have any other recommendations for theme park , roller coaster channels on YouTube

So for PoV’s Theme Park Review is very good (you just have to accept the guy’s “Weeeeeeee” through most of them). He has a lot of older videos on coasters that are now defunct and newer ones he usually does multi angles and typically hard mounted. Also for oddball Asian coasters you’ve never heard of MiyaPA Masane has some incredible videos.

I’d also HIGHLY recommend Defunctland and Expedition Theme Park for history videos. Both similar in content, different in delivery, but great.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

So for PoV’s Theme Park Review is very good (you just have to accept the guy’s “Weeeeeeee” through most of them). He has a lot of older videos on coasters that are now defunct and newer ones he usually does multi angles and typically hard mounted. Also for oddball Asian coasters you’ve never heard of MiyaPA Masane has some incredible videos.
I’d also HIGHLY recommend Defunctland and Expedition Theme Park for history videos. Both similar in content, different in delivery, but great.

Thanks for that , always good to have some more videos to watch during my lunch break and when the wife is watching her reality crap.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

If you want to go with something a bit more classic check out knoebles in Pa. https://www.knoebels.com/
Some great wooden coasters....an awesome dark ride.... and a great atmosphere.... they don’t make them like this anymore

This, 100%. Not the biggest, fastest rides, but Free parking, FREE admission, affordable food and drinks. This is truly a blast from the past, with some worthy coasters. I live 15 minutes from Dorney Park in Allentown, and would rather drive the 2 hours to Knoebels.

Chris

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You could slip in the DC area six flags also, the Wild One is a very good ride and there's a couple other things of note. Kind of a dump, usually zero lines, worth stopping by.

I agree! I dont know why people hate on this park. We went last October, zero lines and great coasters. Got to ride Batwing, 1 of only 2 remaining Vekoma flying dutchmans.
Superman RoS is a great ride as well.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Here is an itinerary for you to hit four major parks in one trip:
Day 1: Melbourne to LA, LA to St. Louis
Day 2: Six Flags St. Louis
Day: 3/4 Holiday World
Day: 5/6 Kings Island
Day: 7/8 Cedar Point
Day: 9 Cleveland to LA, LA to Melbourne
Only about 3-4 hours between parks by car. Add in Days of rest as you see fit![quoted image]

I would add in a day each at both Dollywood and Kentucky Kingdom (Kentucky Kingdom would really only need to be 5-6 hours on the way back from Dollywood to Holiday World).

#78 4 years ago

As I mentioned above, Theme Park Review is one of the more comprehensive PoV channels as Robb has traveled globally for years. If you don't want to spend $6K on your next pin, Theme Park Review just announced travel packages to both Europe and Asia to hit up some of the major parks and some of the smaller ones. You'll probably end up on his next series of PoV's.

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77317

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

As I mentioned above, Theme Park Review is one of the more comprehensive PoV channels as Robb has traveled globally for years. If you don't want to spend $6K on your next pin, Theme Park Review just announced travel packages to both Europe and Asia to hit up some of the major parks and some of the smaller ones. You'll probably end up on his next series of PoV's.
https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77317

Not a fan of banned from ACE Robb Alvey. He may be well traveled but he thinks himself the only expert on rides.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

As a coaster enthusiast and having extensively travelled the US to ride coasters, here are a few MUST visit parks...
Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH) - probably the best coaster collection in the world. (2 days)
Kings Island (Mason, OH) - my favorite larger park and with the new for 2020 Orion will rival Cedar Point. Also home of The Beast...nothing like it and my favorite coaster to ride at night. (1 day)
Holiday World (Santa Claus, IN) - the first “theme” park (1946) in the US...each area of the park is themed after a major holiday...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July. They also have one of the top two water parks in the US. Finally, the reason you HAVE to go...the Voyage...the best wooden coaster on the planet and my favorite (204 coaster credits and counting ) coaster period. Their other coasters are excellent and very well maintained. The overall park experience is truly amazing...my wife’s favorite park. (2 days if you are doing the waterpark)
As far as the west coast (California) goes, I just spent 10 days there last summer to visit Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, California’s Great America, and Knott’s Berry Farm. The ONLY one I would visit again is Knott’s Berry Farm. Magic Mountain was disappointing and considering it’s reputation is very overrated, doesn’t hold a candle to Cedar Point which it is often compared to. The other two were duds.
Hope this helps...good luck with your trip...you are sure to have a great time here!

I agree with this as someone who has also been to most of these places. The Beast at night is more than spectacular. Orion looks to be great.
Season pass hold for Cedar Point most of my life and they’re coasters are the best along with their park cleanliness/professionalism.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

Not a fan of banned from ACE Robb Alvey. He may be well traveled but he thinks himself the only expert on rides.

Agreed. My mom always told me not so say anything bad about people, so here are my positive thoughts on Robb... Um...well...Any other topics to discuss?

#82 4 years ago

The coroner released his report on the incident that killed 4 people on the thunder rapids River Ride at Dreamworld Aus . Basically they got slack with a ride that have been running for 30 years . Hopefully all other parks will take this as a warning to keep your eye on the ball .

IMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpgIMG_20200224_210205 (resized).jpg
#83 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The coroner released his report on the incident that killed 4 people on the thunder rapids River Ride at Dreamworld Aus . Basically they got slack with a ride that have been running for 30 years . Hopefully all other parks will take this as a warning to keep your eye on the ball .[quoted image]

Just like when Disney under that moron ex-GAP CEO Pressler went from scheduled preventative maintenance and parts replacement to "replace only when needed" and killed people on Thunder Mountain Railroad. Disney had it right for decades before he got there, but his extensive experience in denim told him there was a better way...and people died.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just like when Disney under that moron ex-GAP CEO Pressler went from scheduled preventative maintenance and parts replacement to "replace only when needed" and killed people on Thunder Mountain Railroad. Disney had it right for decades before he got there, but his extensive experience in denim told him there was a better way...and people died.

Cutting corners to save some money doesn't pay off when something happens and you can be sued for millions .

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

Agreed. My mom always told me not so say anything bad about people, so here are my positive thoughts on Robb... Um...well...Any other topics to discuss?

When I saw the TPR recommendation I was like....ohhh no lol

Check out CoasterForce instead especially their newer videos!

1 week later
#86 4 years ago

This is the best we have in Melbourne , it's nothing compared to the big ones but it is the second oldest roller coaster in the world .

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

This is the best we have in Melbourne , it's nothing compared to the big ones but it is the second oldest roller coaster in the world .

That's an awesome piece of history. Does that guy really stand the entire the entire ride? That's crazy! LOL

Sure it's not the fastest, but still. Why have lap bars then?

Edit: I see it looks like that they are running the brakes, is that correct?

Chris

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

That's an awesome piece of history. Does that guy really stand the entire the entire ride? That's crazy! LOL
Sure it's not the fastest, but still. Why have lap bars then?
Edit: I see it looks like that they are running the brakes, is that correct?
Chris

Yes, the guy standing is the brakeman.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Yes, the guy standing is the brakeman.

According to Wikipedia it's one of 7 roller coasters that still use a brake man .

#90 4 years ago

Michigans Adventure is a smaller Cedar Park but has a few nice coasters, short lines, a nice water park with access included and my favorite out and back wood coaster...

EA532748-3664-449E-A64B-A9A588BFE5EC-3383-0000061BD8BC7EBB.pngEA532748-3664-449E-A64B-A9A588BFE5EC-3383-0000061BD8BC7EBB.png
#91 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Michigans Adventure is a smaller Cedar Park but has a few nice coasters, short lines, a nice water park with access included and my favorite out and back wood coaster...
[quoted image]

That is one hell of an out and back! And a nice helix at the end too! I will have to check that out.

Chris

3 weeks later
#92 4 years ago
IMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_205800 (resized).jpg
#93 4 years ago

#94 4 years ago

Sorry man!

ca0ff3ee1ad2332ab131ad3116380c3e (resized).jpgca0ff3ee1ad2332ab131ad3116380c3e (resized).jpg
#95 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

[quoted image]

It's also (now) my favorite out-and-back wooden coaster - and I've never ridden it as I hadn't heard of it before!

Two things I found really awesome while riding it for the first time (virtually):

1. It seemed like every time I was expecting to enter the turnaround, there was another hill first (happily fooled me TWICE!)
2. On the back leg, the "step up" hill fooled me - I was in my rhythm of "up then down" but when I was anticipating "down" that one climbed UP the REST of the hill and THEN went down. Love it, love it love it!!!

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

It's also (now) my favorite out-and-back wooden coaster - and I've never ridden it as I hadn't heard of it before!
Two things I found really awesome while riding it for the first time (virtually):
1. It seemed like every time I was expecting to enter the turnaround, there was another hill first (happily fooled me TWICE!)
2. On the back leg, the "step up" hill fooled me - I was in my rhythm of "up then down" but when I was anticipating "down" that one climbed UP the REST of the hill and THEN went down. Love it, love it love it!!!

On the return there is also a moment where the track has a side to side twist that jostles you pretty good...hard to appreciate on video but on the ride you will know!!

1 month later
#97 3 years ago

This thread is slowly going to open up . For health and safety please keep your posts at least 2 minutes apart .

#98 3 years ago

Are any of the theme parks open this summer?

1 month later
#99 3 years ago

Just a note to roller coaster fans. Lakemont Park, home of the world's oldest roller coaster is open this summer. And Leap the Dips is ready. The rides are open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays thru August.
If your traveling thru Central PA, you can knock that one off your list.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Just a note to roller coaster fans. Lakemont Park, home of the world's oldest roller coaster is open this summer. And Leap the Dips is ready. The rides are open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays thru August.
If your traveling thru Central PA, you can knock that one off your list.

Luna Park Melbourne has also reopened . Home of the world's second oldest roller coaster .

IMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpgIMG_20200701_203447 (resized).jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-rollercoasters-and-theme-parks-/page/2?hl=hypercoaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.