player unit (resized).jpg
switch 2c (resized).JPG
motor 1c (resized).jpg
0Wild-Live-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Wild-Live-Work-01 (resized).jpg
my schematics (resized).jpg
zBig-Brave-Work4 (resized).jpg
IMG_8022 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

after your reset is your first ball relay tripped. Check the switches on this relay. This relay has a switch that should isolate the player advance coil before any points are scored. It should only trip after points are scored. Maybe a second problem is causing incomplete pulse of unit not reaching ball 2. Check switchstacks 1 and 2 behind players unit and the switches on the second player relay.

#11 7 years ago
#12 7 years ago

the trough switch is just a switch in a circuit that grounds the P relay, Which in turn gives a path to ground for P. The motor is wired direct to ground but if you look at schematic there are switches on different relays that are listed that close and ground the motor (which turns it) The motor is wired to make a 1/3 revolution turn. The state of switches shown in schematic are ball in shooter lane, game unplugged. Every coil is wired hot. It is the path to ground that controls the logic. Different relays switches isolate others. Just follow the left side (hot) to the right side (-). All coils have the black wire on one side. That is the left side of schematic. on the other side of coil is the path laid out in the schematic. I repeat again and again- the state of the machine in this schematic (snapshot) reset complete, ball shot into shooter lane, game turned off.

The add player coil on schematic is the coil on the player unit. The ground path straight across thru P5 is the reset path that keeps the unit advancing thru the startup. P5 switch drops this path out after reset for the entire gameplay. The other path to ground is down on schematic thru a switch on P. remember P is grounded by the ball passing trough switch. The path goes thru a motor switch position 2 stack c (motor is turning because of a motor switch on P) the circuit then gets blocked by the switch on first ball relay. This switch is opened and blocking the path because no points have been scored yet, so this relay should not be tripped yet. After points are scored the switch will close and open the circuit to fire the player unit coil each time a ball passes trough switch. The game over switch is the last switch in the path and it will open and block the circuit when game over relay is tripped.

Your problem may involve the first ball relay. When the ball kicks out before any points are scored a switch on this relay should block the coil on the player unit from advancing any.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi
frb - great, You participate. JMPT - I remember well the old times playing a "Jungle" --- in my basement there is one waiting to be repaired ...
I am not good in Gottlieb Single-Player-Games - I am not good in Gottlieb-Two-Player-Games - (here) I struggle with the words of the relays, JMPT please write about:
Is it U-First-Ball-Relay or is it ZB-First-Ball-Relay or is it WHAT-First-Ball-Relay ? (What ?)
What is the name of ZB-????-Relay ?
What is the name of U-????-Relay ?
IS (?) SB1- the "No Coil Reset-Control-Switches" or WHAT ?
Is (?) SB2- the "Reset-Control-Relay" or WHAT ?
Greetings Rolf
P.S.: I hope my JPG (made from JPG in post-10) shows (extract) the "interesting places".

your snip of schematic is the grounding path that fires the coil on the player unit. It is directly fired by a motor switch position 1 stack A which is the bottom switches on score motor. It gets 5 pulses per 1/3 revolution of the motor. These five pulses are needed to advance player unit between players. If you notice all the point swithes are closed because all reels are on 0. once you score any points the only path is thru switches on the player units 3rd and fourth switchstacks. Sb1 and sb2 are reset relays on the relay bank. They will close the path after reset leaving the only path down thru P when it is engaged (grounded by the trough switch). This path is the one blocked until the first ball relay is tripped.

zb was used on the early seventy pins as a first ball relay with the relay bank. When they done away with the relay bank the same designation was given to U. the operation of what these do is slightly different but both are tripped by the first points scored in a game and isolate other circuits. Wedges didn't use a first ball relay because the latched reset relay could isolate circuits.

I am replying because I think JMPT is trying to understand. He and yourself sound passionate about these games as myself. I played Wild Life at a neighborhood store as a young teen. I also have one that I enjoy regularly. Just trying to help someone else that has the passion.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi
frb - thanks. JMPT, we come to the question: DOES the Control-Bank reset shortly before the pin wants to kick the Ball over to the Shooter-Alley ?
Here a picture of King Kool: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1371&picno=31707 towards the bottom of the picture, behind the plastic: The Control-Bank - does the BIG arm on that Control-Bank move ?
IF (if) the big arm does not move: The ZB-Relay may be dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the big arm NOT move (?).
IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset): The questions are: IS the ZB-Relay resetted - or does it faulty actuate/drop and so the ZB-Relay is dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the ZB-Relay NOT stay resetted (?).
IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset) AND the ZB-Relay STAYS resetted - JMPT: You must investigate in the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" - it has wires soldered-on: wire-color-white-black, wire-color-black-orange --- this Switch must be open when the Control-Bank is resetted.
A little chance for "Fault": my "encircled orange" stuff - but first: Investigate on the Control-Bank "RESETTING ?" and the "ZB-Relay and its switch", greetings Rolf
PS.: Does Your Control-Bank has paper tags so You see what Relay in the bank is the ZB-Relay ?

P5 parks the ball on player 1 ball 1. P5 switch also grounds and fires the relay bank which then isolates the path you have in brown till the next game thru the SB2 switch. ZB is reset on the control bank, then tripped when points are scored. I would think the bank is resetting if he can play a normal game on player 1 by bypassing the trough switch at startup. The only switch that fires the relay bank is P5. It is on a separate fuse.
I think the problem is ZB is not opened and blocking the path to the player unit coil. The last thing the ball does after it kicks out is pass the trough switch which should not advance the player unit. It was stated if going around the trough switch a normal 1 player game could be played. The reason I think he has another issue with player 2 is that the machine should still pulse up to ball 2 player 1 when it is kicked out with this fault. The player 2 problem could be affecting the ZB issue. If it is hanging on the third pulse it could be a player 2 reset problem with the P4 switches.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from JMPT:

Howdy,
I think I'm more confused now than before! I'm not quite sure how to format all my thoughts and questions.
I don't think I mentioned this, but my tilt hold relay is broken (during my first investigations (seems to be a common problem)) and is held by an elastic band. I'm waiting to see if I need to order any other parts before ordering it. The reason that I brought this up is that if I remove the elastic band, and press the through switch, the P relay is activated. (Example of a nice test)!

There is a make/break switch on the H relay that must break. It affects the first ball circuit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-procedure?tu=frb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.