switch 2c (resized).JPG
motor 1c (resized).jpg
0Wild-Live-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Wild-Live-Work-01 (resized).jpg
my schematics (resized).jpg
zBig-Brave-Work4 (resized).jpg
IMG_8022 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi, this is my first post on Pinside. I have a problem on a Gottlieb Wild Life, and I am looking for a second opinion. Bought in Australia in 1986, it has always worked well. It's been unused for a few years, and it has been suggested to me, to do a complete overall.

This seems daunting for a complete beginner, and I wonder if I would not create more problems than I already have ? Maybe someone has had the same problem…

I recently got it back, and it works perfectly fine, IF, I remove the ball before starting the game with the ball in the shooter lane,ie, it doesn't pass via the "through" switch (only one player - two players dont work).
Observation:
At the end of the startup sequence, when the ball is in the hole, just before it ejects, the player unit is on player1 ball 1, as soon as it ejects and passes thru the "through" switch the motor turn 120° and player unit goes up 3 position to a position which does not correspond to anything.
So, in a certain situation (see above) everything works perfectly, so why touch things that don’t need repair?
Any ideas ?
Cheers,
JMPT

#2 7 years ago

Hi JMPT
welcome to pinside.
I agree with You --- a beginner should not do an "complete overall". He shall fix ONE problem - then maybe the next problem etc.

You do have some problems - here You are in the "Restoration section of pinside" - I suggest: Write in THIS other section: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-em --- a topic with a good title - Your pin is an Gottlieb, ipdb is NOT allowed to show manuals and schematics: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2784 --- please write in the new topic about "having a schematics".
(((I seldom visit the Restoration section - maybe other pinsiders also visit it seldom - bring-up Your problems in the EM-Tech section))) Greetings Rolf

#3 7 years ago

Thank you Rolf!

In fact I do have a schematic of my Wild Life.
- I started by checking that all my score reels were at zero position and closed: They were !
Then followed on the schematics the wiring for the "through" switch, connected to the tilt relay for some reason, with a meter: It was !
So I removed the tilt hold relay to check the contacts, and that's when the relay "broke".
I since have found that it is a common problem, and mine was no exception. In any case it is not responsible for my "through" switch problem…

How do I change my subject to EM-Tech forums?
Ciao for now,
JMPT
PS. Also how d I change the "???" under my avatar?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from JMPT:

It's been unused for a few years...
At the end of the startup sequence, when the ball is in the hole, just before it ejects, the player unit is on player1 ball 1, as soon as it ejects and passes thru the "through" switch the motor turn 120° and player unit goes up 3 position to a position which does not correspond to anything.

I suggest you lift your playfield and look at the trough switch. Is it shorting with any other switches?

P.S. I've asked the moderators to move the thread for you.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

P.S. I've asked the moderators to move the thread for you.

Done - now in EM Tech!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from JMPT:

PS. Also how d I change the "???" under my avatar?

https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/#initials

Things sure have been CONFUSING since now there's two settings pages, neither of which had that on it! I got the link by visiting my own profile and looking and on the "TO DO NEXT..." section, even though I have completed the entire section.

Other settings:

https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/settings
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings

#7 7 years ago

Wild Life is a great unique game with a beautiful art package, one of my absolute favorites! Gordon Morison, the artist, was definitely a genius and put his art "on" many machines!

If you need any game-specific help, let me know. I don't think I have a schematic to check things out on for you, but I'm pretty decent on working without one for any EM game. Shouldn't be too much of a beast to tackle, it has all pretty general and shared mechanisms inside, cool unique features, but all that "interpret" into general units, used in many games. Not too full on the inside and mechanically a 2-player is always better the a 4-player. (In this case it's was Gottlieb's "Jungle")

Have fun with it!

Here is mine!:

IMG_8022 (resized).JPGIMG_8022 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

Hi
jlm33 thanks for moving the topic to "EM-Tech".
JMPT - I am irritated - "post-3: connected to the Tilt-Relay" - I am not good in Gottlieb single-player and also not good in Gtb-two-player-games. The closest to "Wild Live schematics" I have is "Big Brave" - I show what is of interest (if the pin having problems would be) "Big Brave".
Maybe with an Scanner producing PDF*** or maybe the camera on Your "Handy, mobile phone, personal, transportable phone" is good enough to take a picture (most likely) in JPG-Format.

Please show us what I show on Big Brave - "marked light-green then dark-green" activates O-Relay and this O-Relay makes (also dark-green) the Ball KICKED over to Shooter-Alley. As the Ball rolls over - it (marked light-blue) closes "Through Switch" - the P-(Add-Player-Unit-)-RELAY actuates, Yes. The "marked dark-blue" Add-Player-Unit (Stepper) is NOT allowed to step (as the pin shall kick-out the very-first ball) - so in Big Brave I would start to investigate on "marked red" stuff.

BUT in Big Brave Schematics: NO TILT- / TILT-HOLD-Relay in the schematics --- please show interesting stuff in "Wild-Life-Schematics", greetings Rolf

P.S. - PDF***: In pinside we can show JPG and we also can show PDF (I use the "Drag and Drop" System - with the computer-mouse I pack the title of the document and pull it over and let drop it into pinside-rosa-pink-area).

zBig-Brave-Work4 (resized).jpgzBig-Brave-Work4 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

after your reset is your first ball relay tripped. Check the switches on this relay. This relay has a switch that should isolate the player advance coil before any points are scored. It should only trip after points are scored. Maybe a second problem is causing incomplete pulse of unit not reaching ball 2. Check switchstacks 1 and 2 behind players unit and the switches on the second player relay.

#10 7 years ago

Hello,
Find attached the section you asked for. You're absolutely right, the though switch is not connected to the tilt hold relay. Somehow I missed the through switch on the schematic, better change glasses!
I literally did not see it…
I thought the "O" switch was the through switch… Duhhh !
But I had confirmation of this when I checked the continuity with my volt meter from the orange wire. (I suppose it's the "black wire" side).
As for Mom's Basement question:
After reset, the first ball relay is in open position, and is tripped once the machine scores. And as I have said before, the player unit is in the right position: player 1 ball one.
I have always thought that there must be a switch somewhere, that should open during the reset, to deactivate the player unit once set. But you're saying that if my first ball relay is not tripped, then normally the player unit should not advance?
And I suppose that it's the player unit which makes the motor turn? On the schematics there is no visible connection to either the motor or player unit…
On a lighter note, I have always thought that "Jungle" was the best game ever. It's a real "players' " game. There aren't a million things to hit, but you have to be very precise and have great ball control in order to win. I remember when I was 14 in Paris. In those days most Cafés had pinball machines. We use to cruise around on our mopeds looking for a Jungle (we knew all the machines by their side colors). When we found one, we would order a lemonade, and play till our money ran out. I had never seen a Wild Life till Adelaide. When I did, I bought it immediately, $50!!! The guy wanted to get rid of it, as it was taking up to much space in his antique shop. We have played 28324 games on it since 1984. It's part of the family!
By for now,
Thank you RM & frb.

my schematics (resized).jpgmy schematics (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
#12 7 years ago

the trough switch is just a switch in a circuit that grounds the P relay, Which in turn gives a path to ground for P. The motor is wired direct to ground but if you look at schematic there are switches on different relays that are listed that close and ground the motor (which turns it) The motor is wired to make a 1/3 revolution turn. The state of switches shown in schematic are ball in shooter lane, game unplugged. Every coil is wired hot. It is the path to ground that controls the logic. Different relays switches isolate others. Just follow the left side (hot) to the right side (-). All coils have the black wire on one side. That is the left side of schematic. on the other side of coil is the path laid out in the schematic. I repeat again and again- the state of the machine in this schematic (snapshot) reset complete, ball shot into shooter lane, game turned off.

The add player coil on schematic is the coil on the player unit. The ground path straight across thru P5 is the reset path that keeps the unit advancing thru the startup. P5 switch drops this path out after reset for the entire gameplay. The other path to ground is down on schematic thru a switch on P. remember P is grounded by the ball passing trough switch. The path goes thru a motor switch position 2 stack c (motor is turning because of a motor switch on P) the circuit then gets blocked by the switch on first ball relay. This switch is opened and blocking the path because no points have been scored yet, so this relay should not be tripped yet. After points are scored the switch will close and open the circuit to fire the player unit coil each time a ball passes trough switch. The game over switch is the last switch in the path and it will open and block the circuit when game over relay is tripped.

Your problem may involve the first ball relay. When the ball kicks out before any points are scored a switch on this relay should block the coil on the player unit from advancing any.

#13 7 years ago

Hi
frb - great, You participate. JMPT - I remember well the old times playing a "Jungle" --- in my basement there is one waiting to be repaired ...

I am not good in Gottlieb Single-Player-Games - I am not good in Gottlieb-Two-Player-Games - (here) I struggle with the words of the relays, JMPT please write about:
Is it U-First-Ball-Relay or is it ZB-First-Ball-Relay or is it WHAT-First-Ball-Relay ? (What ?)
What is the name of ZB-????-Relay ?
What is the name of U-????-Relay ?
IS (?) SB1- the "No Coil Reset-Control-Switches" or WHAT ?
Is (?) SB2- the "Reset-Control-Relay" or WHAT ?
Greetings Rolf

P.S.: I hope my JPG (made from JPG in post-10) shows (extract) the "interesting places".

0Wild-Live-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Wild-Live-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi
frb - great, You participate. JMPT - I remember well the old times playing a "Jungle" --- in my basement there is one waiting to be repaired ...
I am not good in Gottlieb Single-Player-Games - I am not good in Gottlieb-Two-Player-Games - (here) I struggle with the words of the relays, JMPT please write about:
Is it U-First-Ball-Relay or is it ZB-First-Ball-Relay or is it WHAT-First-Ball-Relay ? (What ?)
What is the name of ZB-????-Relay ?
What is the name of U-????-Relay ?
IS (?) SB1- the "No Coil Reset-Control-Switches" or WHAT ?
Is (?) SB2- the "Reset-Control-Relay" or WHAT ?
Greetings Rolf
P.S.: I hope my JPG (made from JPG in post-10) shows (extract) the "interesting places".

your snip of schematic is the grounding path that fires the coil on the player unit. It is directly fired by a motor switch position 1 stack A which is the bottom switches on score motor. It gets 5 pulses per 1/3 revolution of the motor. These five pulses are needed to advance player unit between players. If you notice all the point swithes are closed because all reels are on 0. once you score any points the only path is thru switches on the player units 3rd and fourth switchstacks. Sb1 and sb2 are reset relays on the relay bank. They will close the path after reset leaving the only path down thru P when it is engaged (grounded by the trough switch). This path is the one blocked until the first ball relay is tripped.

zb was used on the early seventy pins as a first ball relay with the relay bank. When they done away with the relay bank the same designation was given to U. the operation of what these do is slightly different but both are tripped by the first points scored in a game and isolate other circuits. Wedges didn't use a first ball relay because the latched reset relay could isolate circuits.

I am replying because I think JMPT is trying to understand. He and yourself sound passionate about these games as myself. I played Wild Life at a neighborhood store as a young teen. I also have one that I enjoy regularly. Just trying to help someone else that has the passion.

#15 7 years ago

Hi
frb - thanks. JMPT, we come to the question: DOES the Control-Bank reset shortly before the pin wants to kick the Ball over to the Shooter-Alley ?
Here a picture of King Kool: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1371&picno=31707 towards the bottom of the picture, behind the plastic: The Control-Bank - does the BIG arm on that Control-Bank move ?

IF (if) the big arm does not move: The ZB-Relay may be dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the big arm NOT move (?).

IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset): The questions are: IS the ZB-Relay resetted - or does it faulty actuate/drop and so the ZB-Relay is dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the ZB-Relay NOT stay resetted (?).

IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset) AND the ZB-Relay STAYS resetted - JMPT: You must investigate in the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" - it has wires soldered-on: wire-color-white-black, wire-color-black-orange --- this Switch must be open when the Control-Bank is resetted.

A little chance for "Fault": my "encircled orange" stuff - but first: Investigate on the Control-Bank "RESETTING ?" and the "ZB-Relay and its switch", greetings Rolf

PS.: Does Your Control-Bank has paper tags so You see what Relay in the bank is the ZB-Relay ?

0Wild-Live-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Wild-Live-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi
frb - thanks. JMPT, we come to the question: DOES the Control-Bank reset shortly before the pin wants to kick the Ball over to the Shooter-Alley ?
Here a picture of King Kool: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1371&picno=31707 towards the bottom of the picture, behind the plastic: The Control-Bank - does the BIG arm on that Control-Bank move ?
IF (if) the big arm does not move: The ZB-Relay may be dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the big arm NOT move (?).
IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset): The questions are: IS the ZB-Relay resetted - or does it faulty actuate/drop and so the ZB-Relay is dropped and the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" is entitled to be closed --- we must search for "why does the ZB-Relay NOT stay resetted (?).
IF (if) the big arm DOES move (reset) AND the ZB-Relay STAYS resetted - JMPT: You must investigate in the "Switch encircled red in my JPG" - it has wires soldered-on: wire-color-white-black, wire-color-black-orange --- this Switch must be open when the Control-Bank is resetted.
A little chance for "Fault": my "encircled orange" stuff - but first: Investigate on the Control-Bank "RESETTING ?" and the "ZB-Relay and its switch", greetings Rolf
PS.: Does Your Control-Bank has paper tags so You see what Relay in the bank is the ZB-Relay ?

P5 parks the ball on player 1 ball 1. P5 switch also grounds and fires the relay bank which then isolates the path you have in brown till the next game thru the SB2 switch. ZB is reset on the control bank, then tripped when points are scored. I would think the bank is resetting if he can play a normal game on player 1 by bypassing the trough switch at startup. The only switch that fires the relay bank is P5. It is on a separate fuse.
I think the problem is ZB is not opened and blocking the path to the player unit coil. The last thing the ball does after it kicks out is pass the trough switch which should not advance the player unit. It was stated if going around the trough switch a normal 1 player game could be played. The reason I think he has another issue with player 2 is that the machine should still pulse up to ball 2 player 1 when it is kicked out with this fault. The player 2 problem could be affecting the ZB issue. If it is hanging on the third pulse it could be a player 2 reset problem with the P4 switches.

#17 7 years ago

Howdy,
I think I'm more confused now than before! I'm not quite sure how to format all my thoughts and questions.
I don't think I mentioned this, but my tilt hold relay is broken (during my first investigations (seems to be a common problem)) and is held by an elastic band. I'm waiting to see if I need to order any other parts before ordering it. The reason that I brought this up is that if I remove the elastic band, and press the through switch, the P relay is activated. (Example of a nice test)!
Questions:
- What is "P5"?
- Does the P relay connect to the "player unit" in the backbox? If so, when I push on it, it should advance - it doesn't.
- On ADD "PLAYER" UNIT.jpg attached, I can see P5B(?), also I can see a reference to "P" which can affect it if motor 2C and ZB are closed. XB should be already closed.
- Inside the machine the "motor switch positions card", talks about motor 1C which should open the through switch, (see motor 1c.jpg).
I suppose it's the same for all machines? It states S-POS? Maybe I should check the switch (not real easy to access so rather check with you before)? Is there a specific motor position at reset ?
That, and the 1st ball in play relay, seem to be the only 2 things at that moment, that are "different" on reset, as opposed to normal playing positions.
Also you made a special note about the schematics being a "snapshot" at a certain time: reset complete… If you look at the schematics, the path to (-) to the through switch can be deactivated only if one of; the anti-cheat sw, or motor 2b, or motor 1c are open, and nothing to do with 1st ball in play relay???
In that case it must be the motor 1c, or else it would never work, yet it does, given the right circumstances.

- The motor turns 1/3 revolution, and repeats. So it can stop at any of the three, and there is no difference where it stops on reset it depends on the amount of stuff it has to reset ?

Also, I now understand after all these years of playing, why if you score only 1000s on first ball you shoot again! = 1st ball relay switches on tens and hundreds only. We were always amazed when this happened. I think the record is 3 times !!!
The 1st ball relay does not seem to be affecting the through switch on the schematics, or is that due to your famous; "the state of the machine in this schematic (snapshot)"? If that's the case how can a novice work out what's happening?

Yes, my control bank resets, and ZB relay does what it has to. 2 contacts are opened, 2 are closed.
Thank you both, for you time and ideas.
If you need me to do, or check anything, your wishes are my commands…

JMPT

motor 1c (resized).jpgmotor 1c (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from JMPT:

Howdy,
I think I'm more confused now than before! I'm not quite sure how to format all my thoughts and questions.
I don't think I mentioned this, but my tilt hold relay is broken (during my first investigations (seems to be a common problem)) and is held by an elastic band. I'm waiting to see if I need to order any other parts before ordering it. The reason that I brought this up is that if I remove the elastic band, and press the through switch, the P relay is activated. (Example of a nice test)!

There is a make/break switch on the H relay that must break. It affects the first ball circuit.

#19 7 years ago

Hello All,
P5A is open, and p5B closed, motor 1c closed.

Concerning the first ball relay, FRB wrote:
"This switch is opened and blocking the path because no points have been scored yet, so this relay should not be tripped yet. After points are scored the switch will close and open the circuit to fire the player unit coil each time a ball passes trough switch."

How do you know this ? It doesn't show up on the schematics. Is there a book that explains the fundamental workings of pinball machines, or just experience ? It would be great to at least understand the basics.

As I said, this switch is reset and closes as soon as points are scored.

To be 100% clear, should this switch deactivates the player unit ?

I suppose the only way to work out which cable goes where, is with the color coding ?
There is only ONE wire of a certain color(s) in the machine going to ONE place?

I tried to follow the wiring from the player unit; br-wh-rd (coming from the ADD "PLAYER" UNIT also br-wh-rd on schematics) to work out where it goes. Can't be sure...

There definitely seems to be more cables and switches than are indicated on the schematics...
Cheers,

JMT

1 week later
#20 7 years ago

Hi,
PROBLEM FIXED :

I was going to send you this, but instead, decided to check things out first :
If I understand correctly there is a relay when the machine resets which blocks the player unit from advancing if no points are scored, and keeps the ball on 1st player, first ball.
This relay for my machine is ZB.
I assume that this condition exists on reset, before the ball is ejected for the first time ?
The ZB relay is opened, and it does close when the machine scores.
So if you look at the schematics, in red the line, that's the ADD PLAYER UNIT "power" line.
When the ball passes the through switch it closes P relay, the blue line, the ADD PLAYER UNIT moves (it shouldn't), so therefore ZB and motor 2c must be closed or it would not advance ?
So I checked the P relay it was open and followed the SL-BLK wire to motor 2C to check if it was closed.
I did not have to (see switch2B.jpg), the back of the SL-BLK blade was bent, and touching the switch next to it!!!!!
I straightened it, and the machine works perfectly.

Thank you all once again for your help.

One last thing, if anyone has any idea on what is written in the green circle? It's the only thing I can't read on the schematics. Looks like it could be P2A ?

Till next time, good pinballing to you all,

JMT

switch 2c (resized).JPGswitch 2c (resized).JPG

player unit (resized).jpgplayer unit (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

WOW! Good find! Doesn't it feel great when you get another machine going! I've been trouble shooting an Aquarius for the last two days and finally got it! Dang reset banks!

Glad you got yours working!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-procedure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.