Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm looking to buy an EM Pinball, but since it would be my first one, I like to know to brand of machine I should start with, that is the easiest to owned for maintenance and getting spare parts, not necessarily for playability,, here there is a lot of Gottlieb and some Bally..

#2 3 years ago

Avoid Gottlieb since the documentation isn’t freely available. There will be fewer people able to assist.

#3 3 years ago

I own 16, 1970’s Gottlieb Wedgheads. Here is my two cents... Single player games, much easier to work on. They have that classic pinball look and the Art work on most of them are great. PBR sells a ton of parts for the machines. Some of my machines I haven’t touched in three years. Just clean and play. We play them a lot. Very knowledgeable people on this site if you get in a bind. I would never discourage someone from buying a nice wedghead.

#4 3 years ago

On the other hand, though you have to pay for a Gottlieb schematic, they are generally available, as are a wide assortment of parts, through PBR. And the build quality of Gottliebs is very good. There are also some people on the forums here who are pretty conversant with Gottliebs and willing to help when you have a problem.

I'd probably just find a game you enjoy playing, and not worry so much about the manufacturer. If you like a game enough, you'll learn to fix it.

I agree with SteamVette too - single player games would be a good way to start....fewer parts.

#5 3 years ago

Each brand has their nuisances - once you get into one brand, it becomes easier to wrk on, since they tend to follow the same patterns and use the same parts.

I find my most difficult time in repairing is when I change from Williams to Gottlieb or EM to solid state.

I don’t think one brand is particularly more difficult over another.

#6 3 years ago

Try to find a single player since they’re easier to work on.

#7 3 years ago

I have no experience with Bally EM’s, but I find Williams engineering easier to deal with than Gottlieb.

The back glasses load from the front, rather than slipping it behind Gottlieb’s hinged backbox panel, which can lead to scratched or broken glass. Also, the vertical score motor is easier to work with than Gottlieb’s horizontal disc setup.

#8 3 years ago

I’d get the one that appeals to you and then learn from the experts on here when you have issues.

That’s the fun of it IMO.

#9 3 years ago

Bally and Williams are much easier to work on than Gottlieb. As others have mentioned, go with one player if possible too.

#10 3 years ago

later Williams after they got rid of the Gottlieb style motor is much easier to keep running. A lot of the schematics are freely available and very easy to read

#11 3 years ago

Single player games, easier to work with. Gottlieb is easiest to find parts for. Williams and Bally are OK for finding parts. Chicago Coin is probably the hardest one to find parts for.

Alberto

#12 3 years ago

Find a Gottlieb wedgehead.

#13 3 years ago

I sold 2 Gottliebs I went through and decided on Williams / Bally. There is nothing wrong with Gottlieb, just like the Williams motor, relays and reliability more.
    More parts are available for Gottlieb, plus the restoration repair threads here and on youtube plentiful.
    A cheaper 4-player shouldn't be feared, but 1-2 Players are great. I prefer 2 player machines.

#14 3 years ago

Gottlieb games have the glitz and glam. Wedgeheads are easy to repair and keep going due to their simplicity. Parts are plentiful (Steve Young at pinball resource will have essentially everything you would ever need) and support is always available since many people collect them.

BUT (this is a big but)

I’ve ALWAYS found Williams games easier to work on. Gottlieb games have tiny relays and tricky adjustment procedures, and the large reset banks aren’t always easy to access or get to. Oh, and the decagon score reels are weirdly a pain.

Williams games have a super handy relay guide in their manuals. Every switch is documented visually with a brief description of what it does. You don’t really have to hunt through the schematics and trace wire colors to fix a feature in a Williams game. The score reels are much easier to work on as well.

I guess depending on what you’re looking for, it’s a wash. Look for a game you’ll enjoy playing, and learn to fix things as they break. Support is always available here!

#15 3 years ago

Never really thought about this. Have about 40 EMs here of all vintages and makes
    and can't really say one brand is any harder to maintain than any other. Sure, some
    are far more complex (esp bingos!) but if I were you I'd find one I like and get
    it.

As someone else already said a big part of the fun is finding out how they work, getting
    them going, then playing them. Its a different world than any SS pins but far more
    variety and things to discover.

The pin I'd suggest is a Wms AZTEC. Its fast with a variety of shots, colorful and
    everyone that has played mine really likes it.

Have fun!

#16 3 years ago

I prefer Williams EM games from 1970 on forward. This is because of the detailed game manuals that not only show relay functions, but also show stepper unit functions and starting about 1974, show Jones plug/jack functions. Makes it a snap to fix a Williams machine.

#17 3 years ago

Gottlieb, Williams and Bally are all good EMs. My daughter has a Sonic EM and that is built very well too.

Stay away from Chicago Coin. Their score reels are horrible.

#18 3 years ago

Bally and William's games are much easier to adjust and once dialed in stay that way. Gottlieb games with those AG relays are a PITA. Extremely small throw, hard to adjust and dial in.

Decagon reels are an example of just because you can doesn't mean you should. Overly complex design compared to Bally and Williams. I guess in their favor they're better than rat traps.

Bally and Williams score motors are easier to see and adjust. In Gottlieb's favor is that their motors cycle 120 degrees vs the other two 180 degrees which makes Gottliebs a bit more responsive.

Bally and Williams went to DC power before Gottlieb making their games faster. In general I think Gottlieb games have more features although not always.

I like all three. But for ease of service Williams and Bally are better.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-make-of-em-for-ease-of-maintenance?hl=pinasco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.