• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LGMB Lighting Mod Kimball's (resized).jpg
IMG_0340-1_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I've seen or have most of the mods out there for KISS Prem/LE, and the best KISS Prem/LE mod IMO is the Lovegun light mod. It lights up the back area when the ball levitates from the right ramp to that "Paul platform." Adds to the concert theme, really improving the game look in a measurable way, and is one of those mods that's so good it seems like it should have been there from the factory.

I got mine here (I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else):
http://www.kimballspinballs.com/kiss/

#2 7 years ago

Thanks

1 week later
#3 7 years ago

Looks great. But I don't like the fact they will only give you install instructions after you pay.
I always want to know what I'm getting and how hard the install is before parting with any cash.

#4 7 years ago

So very simple,loosened three screws on the backboard slide mod into position and plug into motor about 10 minutes at most

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Looks great. But I don't like the fact they will only give you install instructions after you pay.
I always want to know what I'm getting and how hard the install is before parting with any cash.

It's because they're charging 50 bucks for a 2.00 led strip that clips to the love gun motor. If you read the instructions, you'd just save yourself 48 bucks.

#6 7 years ago

He charged me 35.00 and seemed about right compaired to others in the business

#7 7 years ago

So...some people pay $50 and some $35? Wtf?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It's because they're charging 50 bucks for a 2.00 led strip that clips to the love gun motor. If you read the instructions, you'd just save yourself 48 bucks.

I think it's at least two strips of two different LED colors (pink and purple? pink and white? Looks mostly white in practice), plus the plastic bracket, adhesive strip, and the power splitter (it doesn't clip on). Maybe not $50 worth of parts, but easily $50 worth of improvement to the game. People freak out when they see the difference in play because you can really see the ball levitating, which is really hard the way it comes from the factory.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think it's at least two strips of two different LED colors (pink and purple? pink and white? Looks mostly white in practice), plus the plastic bracket, adhesive strip, and the power splitter (it doesn't clip on). Maybe not $50 worth of parts, but easily $50 worth of improvement to the game. People freak out when they see the difference in play because you can really see the ball levitating, which is really hard the way it comes from the factory.

So I was going to do something similar, but there are flashers above that area which I think will eventually be programmed to light up the area.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So I was going to do something similar, but there are flashers above that area which I think will eventually be programmed to light up the area.

Problem is, the flashers are lighting OUT, while this mod is shining DOWN - it literally hangs over the playfield along the ball's path. When the flashers are on (like when the one by the ramp is on when Lovegun is primed) it's clear that even if they turn them all on, it won't really help anywhere near the improvement this mod provides. That, plus with the dual strips of pink/purple LEDs, this mod fits the mode better than stark white flashers (even if they did light up the area as well).

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Problem is, the flashers are lighting OUT, while this mod is shining DOWN - it literally hangs over the playfield along the ball's path. When the flashers are on (like when the one by the ramp is on when Lovegun is primed) it's clear that even if they turn them all on, it won't really help anywhere near the improvement this mod provides. That, plus with the dual strips of pink/purple LEDs, this mod fits the mode better than stark white flashers (even if they did light up the area as well).

Ok that sounds pretty cool. I stand corrected. I was under the impression it was just an LED strip glued to the back of the PF.

#12 7 years ago

Now I'm curious about this mod. Any chance you could post a pic of yours?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Now I'm curious about this mod. Any chance you could post a pic of yours?

It's already installed, and since there's adhesive, I don't want to pull it out just to take a pic. It's essentially a partial U shaped plastic channel with the LEDs in the bottom part, the longer "leg" of the partial U slides behind the top playfield plastic on the back and is held in place by the adhesive on it and the tightening of the playfield plastic. This makes the LEDs hang over the area the ball will travel in the levitation as lovegun multiball starts. Lights up the whole ball path and backing plastic with the fans on it. the video on their site shows it off *okay*, but it looks even better in person.

#14 7 years ago

So...some people pay $50 and some $35? Wtf?

I just checked PayPal and I paid 46.00 shipped

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Yeah, that's kind of weird and doesn't really help sell these. But the installation is dead simple. Loosen three screws on the backing plastic on the playfield, remove the adhesive from the lighting channel you get, slide it in, tighten screws, and plug in provided splitter for power to the lovegun motor. 5-10 minutes, max.

#16 7 years ago

Kimballs should pay you as a spokesman. Now I'm considering getting one.

#17 7 years ago

Kimballs should pay you as a spokesman. Now I'm considering getting one.

Haha. Just trying to put the word out since I happened on this accidentally and really think it's the best KISS mod out there. No idea why they don't promote it better.

#18 7 years ago

Vic THANKS for the post(s) !!!

I cant understand WHY Stern didn't put ANY kind of special lighting tied to what IMO is a major feature of the Premium & LE.

Web site pricing snafu has been corrected by my web guy - sorry for any confusion ($50 price was supposed to say including shipping & PP fees in the US).

Over 65 High Brightness LED's.

Having trouble sourcing the Purple/Pink high density LED Strips that I have been using & my cost for them went up resulting in the raising of my Price From $35 To $40 .

$50 Shipped In The US (Includes PP Fees & Insurance), Internationally $40 + actual shipping costs & PP Fees.

Thanks !!

Kim

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Vic THANKS for the post(s) !!!

Hey, if it helped get better visibility for your really great mod, then mission accomplished. Like I said in the OP, I really think this is the best overall mod for KISS, all things considered. Other mods I have a nice and add a little extra to the game, but yours really improves the game by lighting up a major "cool" feature of the game you can barely see without it. Highly recommended (which is why I made this thread)!

#20 7 years ago

Here's a pic of it installed in our KISS for the curious ;-})

5-10 minute install, probably the easiest install of all the MOD's I make - loosen 3 screws on the PF-Backboard, insert MOD between PF-BB Plastic & PF-BB, tighten screws & plug-it-in.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me or use the "contact page" on my site (& I can respond to you directly ;-}):
http://www.kimballspinballs.com/contact-form-2/

Vic - THANKS again !

Kim

IMG_0340-1_(resized).JPGIMG_0340-1_(resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Just to add that Kim very kindly pm'd me, offering the install instructions.
I want one - just need to save up to cover shipping to UK now!

#22 7 years ago

I have one coming today and looking forward to installing it later.

#23 7 years ago

I have one coming today and looking forward to installing it later.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but let me know how you like it.

#24 7 years ago

Ok so I got this installed and all I can say is this mod is AWESOME!!! What a difference this makes. Aside from the awesome lights there's 2 other things I really like about this mod. First I like that it only lights up when the ball is traveling across the back. It doesn't when the motor resets. And second I like that it's virtually invisible once its installed. As mentioned before this should have been installed from the factory. If you're on the fence about this mod you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner. I even had an epic game while trying this out (sorry VIC). I want to thank the OP and Kim for getting me interested and answering any questions I had. Couldn't be happier with it. You guys rock!

#25 7 years ago

Ok so I got this installed and all I can say is this mod is AWESOME!!! What a difference this makes. Aside from the awesome lights there's 2 other things I really like about this mod. First I like that it only lights up when the ball is traveling across the back. It doesn't when the motor resets. And second I like that it's virtually invisible once its installed. As mentioned before this should have been installed from the factory. If you're on the fence about this mod you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner. I even had an epic game while trying this out (sorry VIC). I want to thank the OP and Kim for getting me interested and answering any questions I had. Couldn't be happier with it. You guys rock!

I'm glad I was able to turn another KISS owner on to it. It really is the best mod for the machine, hands down! Really improves the game experience.

And my KISS 3 ball high score is still #1 on a per ball average One of these days I will master finishing the multiballs consistently and get over a billion.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And my KISS 3 ball high score is still #1 on a per ball average One of these days I will master finishing the multiballs consistently and get over a billion.

It sure is! My machine was 2 feet from where I started from nudging it so much. Lol. By the way how do you get to Rock City multiball?

#27 7 years ago

It sure is! My machine was 2 feet from where I started from nudging it so much. Lol. By the way how do you get to Rock City multiball?

You have to light solid (none flashing) all the white circles near the flippers corresponding to each member of the band. Essentially, it's like KISS ARMY, but you have to get them all lit solid instead of just flashing.

6 months later
#28 7 years ago

After reading this thread I had to pony up for this mod for my Kiss LE. It really does give it that extra pop as the ball floats across the back area. Easy install and well worth the upgrade!

I don't have a topper but really am leaning to the Kimballs Pinballs back box kit to get that backglass to come alive. Seeing Gene spitting fire and the depth it brings looks like a no brainer. Anyone tried this mod?

#29 7 years ago

I have the backbox LED kit as well as the Love Gun light mod. They are both great additions to the game. My friend made a video of the backbox kit and has it posted on his site. Check out PinballSupernova.com. Highly recommend both mods!

Ed

1 week later
#30 7 years ago

I just installed the Love Gun light mod and what a difference it makes! I definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to enjoy the ball "levitation" trick. I had several friends who told me they never really knew what was going on back there until they saw it with this mod.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

I just installed the Love Gun light mod and what a difference it makes! I definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to enjoy the ball "levitation" trick. I had several friends who told me they never really knew what was going on back there until they saw it with this mod.

Totally agree! It's a must for any Pre/LE owner.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

After reading this thread I had to pony up for this mod for my Kiss LE. It really does give it that extra pop as the ball floats across the back area. Easy install and well worth the upgrade!
I don't have a topper but really am leaning to the Kimballs Pinballs back box kit to get that backglass to come alive. Seeing Gene spitting fire and the depth it brings looks like a no brainer. Anyone tried this mod?

I'm not a huge fan of the backbox lighting because it just rotates colors, transitioning from one to another. Some look good and others look pretty bad. It really needs to be customized with specific colors/light movement in each area that actually match.

5 months later
#33 6 years ago

*deserved bump*

Just installed this and it's a definite must-have.
So simple and so effective that Stern should look at it and blush.
Thanks Kim!

1 month later
#34 6 years ago

Every KISS Prem/LE owner need to order Kim's http://www.kimballspinballs.com/kiss/ ( Love Gun Multi-Ball) lighting kit .
Thanks PinMonk !!! REALLY Lights Up The Entire Rear Of The Play Field Plus The Levitating Ball When You Make The LIT Love Gun Multi-Ball Ramp Shot !!
Check YouTube it does not do it justice even better "Live"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=5Ysz9zJxS88

LGMB Lighting Mod Kimball's (resized).jpgLGMB Lighting Mod Kimball's (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-kiss-premiumle-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.