Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by AlexF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3659 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3658 (resized).JPG
    165605_136431419755066_6158972_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Danni_NZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I wanted to start a proper thread for this, although I didn't know if one already existed . I've seen so many arguments for why [insert some decade from the 20th century here] was better than today, or vice versa.

So I want to start a discussion and I want to hear your arguments as to which era is the best era of pinball?

#33 7 years ago

I thought that I should add my 10 cents. (And yes, you may have seen it in a different thread )

"Adding my 10 cents again, I think that games from all eras are good. Harlem Globetrotters (1978, Bally) is one of my favourites.
    But, I still respect all of the games made today. I think that the way the rule sets have developed has allowed for more intriguing games where you can take way longer to try and process how the game works and how to get to a top score (oooh Top Score is a good game too )! The art has changed because obviously technology has changed too. I think that some of the modern art is way better than the older games, e.g. I do actually think that Ghostbusters has one of the best art packages ever - however looking at the older games has its value. I love Bally's Firecracker. Especially the cabinet. That kind of art, although it looks weird and not realistic and cartoonish, is SO COOL. Look at the moustache on the cabinet. You don't get that with modern machines."

So I like everything. I change my opinion all the time on what my absolute favourite is, but for the moment I'm definitely enjoying playing some old SS games and EMs.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Era's ?
    EM Pre-flipper ?-1946
    EM Flipper 1946-1977
    Solid State 1977-1990 - (I feel that Williams Funhouse was actually the crossover point of this "ERA")
    Dot Matrix 1990-now

Good point!

I think that there have been such changes over the eras that they almost don't work. E.g. Compare something like White Water to Batman 66. Is a new era arising with TV screens in place of DMDs?? For the SS era, if you compare Gottleib's Genie to Funhouse or something like that -- there are such massive differences! That is kind of why the eras are years, I think.

Either way. That was a good point. Thank you!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Danni_NZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-era-of-pinball?tu=Danni_NZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.