(Topic ID: 264888)

The best company to purchase a muticade machine?

By Ockeyhead

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gjm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200326_081933633 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200326_081817808 (resized).jpg
    20180803_145047 (resized).jpg
    20180803_145034 (resized).jpg
    20180803_145056 (resized).jpg
    224ecffd447e09fc5c5b6e809e02fcb9078788ba.jpeg (resized).jpg
    16FB8E0E-D8C3-450C-86EA-7DA22FAF15F7 (resized).jpeg
    0F17BFB7-251E-47A1-8814-EA7436011119 (resized).jpeg
    002 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

Though we already have a multicade, my wife & I are looking for a machine w/ all the bells & whistles. A multicade that has virtually every title produced that is equiped w/ a light gun, spinner controls, etc.

At this time we are leaning towards a company that customizes these machines > extremehomearcade.com. The only downside is ~ that there is a six month+ waiting period to receive a machine.

As stated, we do have a multicade that is a 2500 in 1. Very fun, but looking to purchase the best. So who do you recommend & why?

Here is a picture of our 2500 in 1 >>>

002 (resized).JPG002 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

I would go get an old Ultracade or Arcade Legends. Quality parts, not 2500 games, but the classics and well laid out menu. Having done many of these by hand I find that while the number of games is held out as the success metric, you really won’t play most, and they clutter the ones you do want to play. Most standard renditions of newer built multicades use a Hyperspin front end that in heavy use seems to crash more often than not.

#3 4 years ago

If you find a good 4 player one, let me know. I’ve been bouncing back and forth for a while now on what to do.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I would go get an old Ultracade or Arcade Legends. Quality parts, not 2500 games, but the classics and well laid out menu. Having done many of these by hand I find that while the number of games is held out as the success metric, you really won’t play most, and they clutter the ones you do want to play. Most standard renditions of newer built multicades use a Hyperspin front end that in heavy use seems to crash more often than not.

Ultracade and Arcade Legends were well made, but aren't those basically time bombs now? Old PCs with hard drives overdue to croak? I owned one about ten years ago and was very pleased with it.

#5 4 years ago

I had an Arcade Legends. It was well built and all the games were original code, not emulated.

But the controls were cramped and about as non ergonomic as it gets.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Definitely looking for a machine that has the majority of every arcade game released. For us the more the better, though you're right ~ simple is sometimes better.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

If you find a good 4 player one, let me know. I’ve been bouncing back and forth for a while now on what to do.

Check out extremearcade.com on You Tube. The game selection is endless + there is a variety of options including four player controls w/ LEDs + anything control wise.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Ultracade and Arcade Legends were well made, but aren't those basically time bombs now? Old PCs with hard drives overdue to croak? I owned one about ten years ago and was very pleased with it.

We are absolutely pleased w/ our 2500 in 1 but after viewing the extreme/arcade videos, there is another alternative that offers everything arcade related. We are looking for other options that might offer a similar arcade experience. The only discouraging issue w/ extremearcade.com is the six & some waiting time to receive the machine. I'm sure it's well worth it ~ but I'm impatient.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Check out extremearcade.com on You Tube.

I think you mean https://extremehomearcades.com/home.aspx

I ordered one about 4 months ago and he is at a huge backlog. I ordered at the end of November and he said probably May it will be done.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks for the correction, my bad.

Is https://extremehomearcades.com/hom.aspx the only company that offers this customized arcade experience? We are simply looking for similar alternatives if there is any? There are many You Tube videos for anyone who wants to check it out, but there doesn't seem to be another company that offers this unique experience?

#11 4 years ago

I had been looking at this place online since its local, but have not got a chance to go in person. When we get out of lock down I plan on checking them out.

https://www.aceamusements.us/

#12 4 years ago

You could try https://retroactivearcade.ca/ as they do custom builds as well as stock. Might be good with canadian dollar where it is.

#14 4 years ago

Great, we will definitely be looking into all of the above mentioned just to be sure on a final decision. I'm sure there are many great possibilities but we absolutely want a customized multicade w/ virtually everything. We just don't want to wait six months + but if this is the only avenue then we will follow through.

If there are any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#15 4 years ago

Have an Arcade Legends 1 that I purchased new back in 2006 maybe. Great selection of games as I added on two packs that were available at the time. Needed to replace hard drive last fall but now has slightly more games. Forget the few thousand game systems don't want it. Just enough with what it has now. Only thing its not the best for playing long periods of time but mounted two wrist pads under joysticks to help. AL3 new runs around $3k I believe.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

You could try https://retroactivearcade.ca/ as they do custom builds as well as stock. Might be good with canadian dollar where it is.

I would be careful with this company as I had a terrible experience with them. Opposite from the user I am replying to though.

#17 4 years ago

I’d definitely recommend the Arcade Legends from Chicago Gaming (CGC). They’re commercial grade products that look great, have authentic sticks and buttons (not cheap knock offs) and the Joshua OS is great and runs smoothly. There’s definitely a limitation on the games but as others have said, most of the MAME Hyperspin setups are filled with tons of games most never play, emulation a lot of times isn’t great, and mapping can be difficult. Over on KLOV there’s flash drives for sale that are plug-n-play and offer over 300+ games, all the classics, and it’s not super expensive. And last but not least, they come with beautiful CRT monitors (either 19 or 25”) that look awesome!

Just my 2c
    Good luck!

16FB8E0E-D8C3-450C-86EA-7DA22FAF15F7 (resized).jpeg16FB8E0E-D8C3-450C-86EA-7DA22FAF15F7 (resized).jpeg0F17BFB7-251E-47A1-8814-EA7436011119 (resized).jpeg0F17BFB7-251E-47A1-8814-EA7436011119 (resized).jpeg
    #18 4 years ago

EDIT: Sorry about the hockey pic! Not sure why that attached?!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vabeachrunner4:

I’d definitely recommend the Arcade Legends from Chicago Gaming (CGC).

I wouldn't. And this is why.

Video games require hands on the controls, and they really screwed up with this part of the cabinet with the chrome T-molding right where your forearm and wrist hits. The controls are just too crowded anyway. Otherwise I might still have mine.
    224ecffd447e09fc5c5b6e809e02fcb9078788ba.jpeg (resized).jpg224ecffd447e09fc5c5b6e809e02fcb9078788ba.jpeg (resized).jpg

#20 4 years ago

I've done the multi thing (still have a 60 in 1), honestly A few choice originals exceeds the fun of one multicade.
    The controls and buttons are confusing, they never feel real and guests enjoy pretty much nothing because they are overwhelmed by the thousands of games.
    Also I think most light gun games don't work on an lcd.

Take for example a few posts up, 720 on a multicade.
    I have the real deal and without the 720 control panel and joystick the game is useless.
    There is a reason why games with proprietary controls hold more value, the gameplay can't be duplicated.

BTW, the last time I had people over, the most popular game? A centipede I got in a package deal that I didn't even want...

IMO, find a couple real games you love, acquire them, enjoy them, then trade them out just like people do with pins.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I bought a the cabinet from funcoamusements its a modified V4 funglo cabinet (slightly bigger).
    Then wired everything myself. I found out quickly the 4/8 way switcher motor/joystick wasn't made for commercial use, so now they are both sanwa 8 way joysticks. Also wired one of those 2 in 1 jamma harnesses to have GT complete on one side and ultracade on the other. But no one played GT complete so I took it out.... now its just Ultracade.

It was fun, but the main games people play are street fighter, mortal kombat and galaga. I'm just going to get a few dedicated fighters and a pixel bash from now on. Also I will never do RGB buttons again, that took FOREVER to wire up.

20180803_145034 (resized).jpg20180803_145034 (resized).jpg20180803_145047 (resized).jpg20180803_145047 (resized).jpg20180803_145056 (resized).jpg20180803_145056 (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago

I recently bought this cabinet and top from "XTENSIONS Premium Arcade Gaming Equipment" and put it together myself as a kit and then bought from "Home Arcade systems" the hard drive and installed it in a gaming computer. Both owners of each company were more than helpful with any questions I had before and after purchase.
    This one has 1- 4 way joystick, 2 - 8 way sticks, 3 inch track ball and a spinner (love playing Tempest). It plays on a 42 inch flat screen and navigating to the games is a simple process.
    IMG_20200326_081817808 (resized).jpgIMG_20200326_081817808 (resized).jpgIMG_20200326_081933633 (resized).jpgIMG_20200326_081933633 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-company-to-purchase-a-muticade-machine?hl=vabeachrunner4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.