Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by derfske
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 5 years ago

There are so many of these I've still not played, I can't really be comprehensive.

In terms of best, Stargate on the DMD side for me. Alpha-numeric Hoops I feel has the best rules. Silver Slugger is the most flow layout from the era I've played, and I enjoy that one.

Worst ones for me were Barb Wire (the one I played was purportedly restored but felt practically unplayable, so this may be more the specific game than the design) and Super Mario Bros. I found pretty dull (however, I did think Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World was an entertaining little game).

My overall assessment of System 3 likely mirrors many others. Great deal of layout experimentation (not EM era levels but more than the other SS manufacturers were doing), but compromised by generally poor rule design (competitive rule balance was not a priority of Premier) and of course the unpopular flipper mechs.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

huh? I love gottlieb flipper feel, and the mechs aren't anything ridiculous.

It isn't universal of course, but a lot of people feel the flippers allow trapping up too easily. It's not that the mechs are specifically poorly made, but how they play is a common complaint (in discussions with area tournament players I actually hear about the flipper dislike more than the game rules, I assume because the flippers were universal and the rules complaints vary game by game). Does it stem from more people being familiar with the WMS/DE style? Could be. They're my least favorite, and I've wondered if it's just because they feel so different to me from what I was already used to.

Would be an interesting poll to know the overall view. I've been fairly curious about why Gottlieb shifted to that flipper design (which I think hit just before System 3 with Bone Busters).

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

to be fair, they are called "catch-alls" afterall...

I never heard that before! Interesting.

I do own a couple System 3 pins, and agree completely with your remark about side-to-side brutality. In fact, when I got Hoops, I was disappointed because the game was playing very long and easy. I looked and saw the prior owner completely extended the back legs. I dropped those back down, and all of a sudden it was side-to-side madness (and a much better playing pin, in my opinion).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-best-and-worst-gottlieb-premier-system-3-s?tu=DennisK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.