(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #343 No more speculation... Posted by BD_Designs (5 years ago)

Post #2200 Podcast with information on the game, including pricing. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#295 5 years ago

Considering BM66 SLE owners still do not have their custom callouts 2 years later, when it was a selling feature of the machine...i'd venture anyone who buys another SLE priced machine from them is an absolute fool. I feel think Stern is overestimating the market for a Beatles machine, as well as how much someone in the non-pinball world is willing to pay for one. They may sell a few SLE or higher priced versions, but I do not think they will sell out. I think this title has a better chance of turning into a WWE part II than it does turning into Iron Maiden or Metallica with respect to sales.

1 week later
#529 5 years ago

So why did they wait until 2 days after expo to reveal? Did Stern already have a feeling this was going to go over like a lead balloon with hard core pinball fans?

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

George thinks Deadpool is a hit.

Currently sold out most places while Metallica is run through the line one last time...

#609 5 years ago

I wonder if the playfield angle will match modern Stern, or the original Seawitch?

#801 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

SLE 49.995,- USD
LE 24.995,- USD
Premium 7.495,- USD
I bet, even these ambitious prices, SLE will be sold out quite soon.

LOL, if these prices are real, Stern would net $23,345,180 on a sellout (minus whatever the distributor makes).

#807 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was just told that "they only have a handful of songs" and more importantly "they are not the full songs" seriously, did the license limit them so much that they are only allowed partial songs?

So Stern got fleeced on the license, so they in turn are fleecing their customers?

#1421 5 years ago

Treat this one like owning a boat. It is fun to use your buddy's that you didn't pay anything toward, but not worth the headache and depreciation hit of owning yourself.

#1489 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Do we still not have the price for the Diamond and Platinum versions? I have seen different numbers floating around.

Word is, the distributors take the machines in blocks of 10 with a few of each machine in that block, and the Diamond/Platinum pricing is at the distributors discretion. Gold pricing is the only one set by Stern. One distributor quoted a pinsider $20k for a Diamond.

#1507 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Unless the laws have changed, no manufacturer can tell a distributor or retailer what price they can put on, or have to put on an item for sale. This is why you see the auto makers price sheets say MSRP. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Of course, the factory can make life a little difficult for a retailer who does not want to play ball. Apple plays a tough game, for instance.
Car dealers have been known every once in awhile for jacking the price on a hot selling car and there was not much the factory could do about it, although I believe 10 years ago when GM made its great dealer cut, GM made a concerted effort to dump some of its less than stellar dealers.
For the manufacturer, it is not good when a opportunistic retailer tries to fleece the public. It is also not good when a weak retailer starts discounting the price and cheapen the brand.

Stern CAN set a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) though. Doesn't mean the distributor cannot sell for less...but they may not advertise the goods for less than MAP. This includes email quotes, mailing lists, etc. MAP pricing is why you will see some distributors require a phone call to get a price. Some distributors will throw in free shipping or pay your sales tax as a kickback, so long as they show that the machine sold for the MAP price.

#1512 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The Batman SLE last time was $15k priced to buy directly from Stern, not through a distributor. So this seems to be a different model.
I'm guessing most distributors do not buy 10 games at a time (outside of the few biggest names), so they are incentivizing them to buy a bigger block than normal.

I think Stern is doing this to deflect the heat away from them this time...Batman 66 SLE created a lot of negative flak directed at Stern. So Stern is letting the distributors throw themselves under the bus for a short term payday if they choose...or reward some loyal customers if they choose.

1 week later
#2212 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Looking closer at that photo, I can't believe that those folks in the factory are wearing sneakers. On a cement factory floor? Get some Redwings people!

I don't think Stern is paying their floor employees "Red Wing" wages. And for that matter, those boots aren't what they use to be.

#2258 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I know that the drop target discussion is SOOO sixty minutes ago....but Big Hurt has controlled drop targets with fun rules for them.

Raven has controlled drop targets as well. Think about that. Controlled drop targets on a crappy 80's game.

#2288 5 years ago

I have zero interest in owning one of these. I'd probably walk by one on location and drop quarters in something a bit more robust.

However-

The level of vitriol over this title is getting a bit ridiculous. If it isn't for you, fine. They will sell out in a reasonable amount of time. The Beatles package may not be of interest due to theme or color choices. But at the end of the day, the art is of consistent quality. You can read the fonts. The LCD display art looks clear and professional. You can figure out where to shoot the ball easily. You can walk up to the machine and play it without reading a 1000 page manual on gameplay. Games are on the line and being built within 2 weeks of us seeing the initial pictures. No year long wait for delivery. No preorder money up front. Nobody here was tricked out of any money. Stern has producing games down to a science, and people still piss and moan incessantly. Some of you complain like it is your full time job on here...and I just don't get it. This is a damn hobby where we play with expensive toys for fun. No wonder any person of any stature in the pinball industry avoids contact with pinheads in the mainstream social media environment.

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

There are people who post 30+ messages to Pinside EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and have been doing it for over 5 years.

Lets amend that and exclude the guys in the tech forums...some of those guys should be knighted for the level of help they give. But yes, I know who you meant.

#2470 5 years ago

People do not understand what the term "Sold Out" really means.

If Stern says they are sold out, it means the distributors have all spoken for the the full allotment of games produced.

If the distributor says "sold out at Stern", it means they cannot get any more from Stern.

If a distributor is sold out, it means they do not have any. It doesn't mean all distributors are sold out.

For example, Stern may no longer be making Walking Dead (don't quote me on that...but play along). Cointaker still has The Walking Dead available. Stern may say it is sold out, but you can still get one. Tilt Amusements may be sold out of them. But there are still some available at other distributors.

So again, Stern saying they are sold out would not be BS if both production runs are spoken for. If the USA is only supposed to get half of the 1964 games, it isn't really that hard to imagine.

#2529 5 years ago

There is always that one guy that finds something to complain about.

#2533 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

And we've found him. You.

Edit- Not worth the effort. User ignored.

#2540 5 years ago

Pretty sad that a guy takes the time to shoot video and upload it here to share, and some pinside troll has to come on here and run him down with his entitled childish attitude because his quality wasn't up to some personal standard. Zero comments on the actual subject of the video, just negative remarks about menial crap. Meanwhile, the troll contributes virtually zero content to pinside ever, besides drama. Got it.

#2644 5 years ago

Honestly, I think Maiden is a fair bit overrated. Although i'd pick it over the Beatles if I had to pick.

#2650 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Can we get back to talking about how Iceman is a flip-flopper, please? I mean, Iron Maiden is fine and all...but there are important topics to discuss here!!

Seriously, the guy made a thread specifically to run down Stern over the perceived poor sales of this "obvious" flop. I think he needs to make a new thread saying he was wrong, and include an apology for being a Pinside premature poop disturber™.

#2818 5 years ago
Quoted from BeatlesOnly:

After 10 days of reading Pinside posts about the Beatles machine, I have distilled my thoughts into this one giant post.
1. Depsite several Pinsiders trying to clue everyone else in that this pin was made for Beatles fans, the significance of that fact doesn't seem to be sinking in for some. It's not so much a pinball machine as it is a collectible licensed Beatles product. It isn't going to play by the rules of any other pin release. I gleaned from the posts I read that Pinsiders like to buy a machine, play it for a while, sell it and buy a different pin. I get that, but that doesn't describe a Beatles collector. For the most part, they don't buy a rare Beatles record, play it for a while, then sell it so they can get a different record (unless they are upgrading condition). Boredom is rarely a factor with premium Beatles collectors. This is likely the only pin these guys are ever going to have, and they'll keep it a long time. (But wait until the next Beatles pin, distros!)
2. One distro told me he sold his Diamond for $30K; another sold for $25K; the one on eBay has a bid of $25K with time to run. Those are the only Diamond distro sales I know of personally. Other Pinsiders have reported $25K asking prices, so that seems to be the starting line (with one exception noted in #4 below).
3. The vast majority of Pinsiders posting on the Beatles pinball topics have no comprehension of what the Beatles memorabilia world is like, or the number of collectors worldwide. Any licensed memorabilia has a waiting market of persons for whom $25,000 is not an issue. I think I saw a post suggesting there were tens of thousands of pinball enthusiasts; multiply that by at least 100 for the Beatles collectors. They will collect anything related to the Beatles. Collectors at every price point. Got something really cool and rare? Name your price.
4. Beatles memorabilia values are still going up despite the band breaking up almost 50 years ago. Think about that - that's 2.5 generations. Some suggest that now is the time to get out of Beatles collecting (much like those saying now is the time to get out of classic cars) because the core fanbase has more money now than it will ever have, but it is graying and will eventually die off. Maybe, but the Beatles aren't just any band; they're regarded by many authorities as the most significant band of all time (notice I didn't say "best" because that term is meaningless without clarification). You want to see the Beatles' appeal to today's teenagers? Go to a Paul McCartney concert. The guy is still performing in his late 70's, and the audiences have loads of kids. Values for top items like autographs, the rarest records and the coolest limited edition licensed items are not likely to stop their upward march anytime soon. (Best comparable item - Yellow Submarine jukebox.) I'll venture a prediction that the Golds might possibly see some resales under $7500 (only by non-Beatles-fan sellers); Platinums might remain at or near MIB original price; but Diamonds will not depreciate in your lifetime. I suspect many of the 100 Diamonds will never see any play, and those prices 8-10 years from now will be insane. If you're lucky, some distros may sell now for less (like the Beatles Store apparently did by jacking up the price of the Golds), but you'll be competing with buyers who know they can flip them for a profit with a little patience.
There is one caveat, and it's a BIG one. If the Beatles grant licenses for more pinball machines (Sgt Pepper, Yellow Submarine, etc.), all bets are off. Price differences between the three versions should come down. It will be interesting to see Apple Corp saying "The first one sold out - why should we reduce the license fee?", and Stern saying "Yes, but you're diluting the marketplace." The 10-pack strategy and the $8K-$25K price range might not work a second time. It may be more like $8-10-15K.
5. Again, some Pinsiders ignore the fact that the license cost from the Beatles must have been very high, maybe more than any other pin license ever. The reason you don't hear the actual Beatles (as opposed to covers) in commercials and films is because it is more expensive to license than any other music. Therefore, all arguments comparing the price to other pinball releases are moot and without merit - "apples to oranges" as they say.
6. The Seawitch vs. totally-new-game-from-scratch discussion is pointless, as is any discussion about playfield features compared to any other game. Read #1 again. I'd never heard of Seawitch, or Stern for that matter, until this month. Loops, drops, multiball, backglass, HUO, distro, Pro/LE/SLE, code, mechs, IAAPA are some of the pin terms I learned just in the past two weeks. Beatles pin buyers (at least the Plat/Dia buyers) don't know or care doodly about Seawitch, drops or loops, etc.
7. In the 1970's my dad took a used coin-op pinball machine and pool table as payment for a debt. Haven't played pinball in probably 35 years. I agree with some who have opined that the scoring into 8 digits seems odd for a 1960's-based theme, as my only previous experience is with 4 or maybe 5 digits. Wish I still had that machine, or could remember its theme, but it's long gone.
8. I also agree that having no MSRP on the Platinum and Diamond machines is horrible for end users. I have been collecting different kinds of things for 50 years, and I've never seen that strategy before. Distros who can afford the carrying cost of a 10-pack must absolutely love it.
9. Yes, I have put my money where my mouth is. I know of what I speak.
10. And one forum suggestion from someone who has been a member of several special interest forums: if you feed the pot stirrers the attention they can't get anywhere else, they never go away. Stop feeding them.

Can someone give me a tl;dr here?

#2834 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The price of most pro pinball machines drops $1k after a year, if it is not currently a hot title and ignoring the added mods. So a $7.6k game might be selling as low as $6.6k. Not all sales will be that low, but many will. If the title is still hot and if Stern doesn’t have any available, price of huo 1 year old game will be selling closer to original amount.
In the case of Beatles, most who expressed interest said they would buy a gold between $5k - $6k. So the resale value on golds may need to dip to $6k to guarantee a resale, and the first owner takes the first hit. A second group of Owners will be buying and establishing a new price level for the game. Now, if the game play holds up, the value dropping stops. But if the pin is only mediocre, the game may head downward another $1.5k to around $4.5k, as the second level buyers experience the second hit to their wallet.
The third level of buyers steps in at the new price level and this establishes a resale value.Would I be in that third wave of buyers? The bigger question is how long would that take .... probably five years. However, Beatles golds could just as likely be selling at the original price or even higher in five years, but it probably won’t get to the level I want in less time. So for now I’ll enjoy playing Beatles, wherever I find one. No need to worry about the cost or the depreciation, instead I’ll focus on the song list and whether they can be swapped out in pinbrowser. I’ll add - playing a diamond Beatles pin - to my bucket list...... not happening.

Show me all these $4400 TWD's, GOTG's and GOT's please. They only get that low if they have been driven like they were stolen on route somewhere.

2 weeks later
#3174 5 years ago

Who is buying routed Stern machines for more than NIB when they are still available new for MSRP after 3 years? Metallica ran what, 6 years?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.