(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #343 No more speculation... Posted by BD_Designs (5 years ago)

Post #2200 Podcast with information on the game, including pricing. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I agree however maybe they are trying to tie the theme and era of band to that era of pinball with some modernization of sound and video.
What do you think would be a reasonable price point for this style of machine?

$6500 like Spooky games. Spooky has the limited aspect (they end making a game and that is it usually) driving up the price to get to that sales point, Beatles has the license driving up the price to get to that $6500 sales point.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Accepting the "home use only" terms of the license then guaranteeing that by leaving coin doors off is a definite step backwards.

Where did you hear this? Not having coin mechs makes it another Costco game to me. I don't understand how that would be an acceptable term of the license for Stern knowing how that has gone for them previously.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I can’t see how these machines would be a million dollar pinball license and also not be outrageously priced.
I am probably one of the loonies who would pay $4000 for a brand new sea witch from Stern in 2018. I wouldn’t want a Beatles retheme with an LCD; the reason I want seawitch is because it’s an original theme and design from the 70s. It captures what pinball was at that time and adding animations and modern sound effects ruins it for me. I’m fine with the mpu and mechs and lighting under the hood being updated but otherwise it’s pretty much perfect for what it is.
I know some % of beatles hardcore fans would push 10K or even 20K for a Beatles pin but not if there’s several thousand of them made. I just don’t see how this game makes money with a million dollar license fee.

You are dreaming if you think any company is going to remake a classic game for $4000. It would be at least the price of a Stern Pro and that makes it unlikely to happen for most titles. I could see a Whirlwind or Funhouse remake done for around $6000 to $6500.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So the classic layout/old school is BS?
Can’t see Harry Potter being an old school layout.

I would not be surprised at all if Stern is putting out a bunch of bogus rumors just to throw everyone off and to exploit some that think they always have inside info.

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Normscoffee:

I suspect the SLEs will immediately sell out. I already put my name on one. I have BM66 SLE but am not in love with the game... actually thinking of selling it. I think this one will be a cool reskin and a brand I will enjoy having in my home. Flame away. I work hard for my money and enjoy my toys. I'm sorry.

What is your price limit on Beatles SLE?
Does anybody even know the true price yet?

#476 5 years ago

Stern really knows how to waste the biggest licenses this decade.

#491 5 years ago

So what is the price for this, $3000?

#495 5 years ago

I long for the days when Stern was making games like TSPP and LOTR. Put the darn kitchen sink back in!

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We went over this with Supreme.
If this sells out, why would anybody be embarrassed for Stern?
People need to get used to the idea that they have a business plan now that apparently includes selling games to "us" and selling expensive boutique games to "them."
Their ultimate goal is to make profits. If they can do that by selling Deadpools to us yahoos and Beatles to my parents, that's a successful, positive business plan.
As usual, people here need to not take this stuff personally. I don't take it as a personal affront to my pride and dignity when McDonald's pulls the McRib off the menu. You shouldn't take it personally when they make and sell a game you don't like.

The wasted license is personal to many in the hobby. Star Wars and now this.

#536 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

No need to -- they are gonna sell these to beatle maniacs and that's it. They still want everyone else to buy a deadpool.

George thinks Deadpool is a hit.

#539 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

New Customers have a shitload to choose from...this is only 1 game that ins;t being marketed to them anyway

So, can we have a Beatles pin that is marketed to pinball people also? That is the problem right there. Wasted.

#545 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Currently sold out most places while Metallica is run through the line one last time...

Don't believe it is sold out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-nib-pinballs-1

#912 5 years ago

The art colors really nail the JPop color schemes.

#1132 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't know about you guys but I am waiting for the Monkees Vault edition to come out. They were a huge influence on the Beatles.[quoted image]

The Monkees were after the Beatles. "Dumb and Dumber" reference?

#1134 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

[quoted image]

Already amended my post.

Although I do wonder if the TV Monkees stuff influenced what the Beatles did in video content. I would have to go back and research dates. I am not sure about the chronology of all that.

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Based on Joe’s last interview it sounds like this is his final Kapow “boutique” pin

That would be fine by me.
I don't know why Stern does not do what Deeproot says they are going to do and price each game differently based on costs rather than nickel and dime parts out of each game. I believe there would be more satisfied customers that way.

#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You don't price your product based on costs... costs dictate the minimums you must cover... not what you sell at. You price your product based on how you market it... ensuring you can cover costs and expected margins.
Until deeproot is transparent on what they are actually building - you shouldn't use them as any landmark on successful product strategies.

Obviously I did not mean based on costs alone. My statement was meant to be broad not narrow. I just meant that I would like to see the games each be priced individually rather than forcing designers to limit the BOM to a particular number.

If one designer thinks they have a great design that could be sold for $6000 and another designer has a great design that could be sold for $8000 (obviously factoring in the businesses profit demands), then let them build them that way.

#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is counter to most pricing and business thinking. You don't want to price individual items in the same family based on their ACTUAL value... all you do is end up cutting out your margin you are normally expecting to pickup across the board. You use pricing to distinguish what you WANT someone to think the value is. Normally there is a competitive angle there too.. but that piece is less 1 : 1 in the pinball market today.
I'm sure Stern is setting their BOM based on what they think the market will tolerate for the product. Benefits for 'more profits' come from volume. Raising the BOM is a risk... because any failure will be that much more of an impact. Given Gary's accounting background... you can see how they would easily follow this line of thinking. You have a target selling price... build the best you can within that.. because the market may not like your 'no limits' pin and we've lost even MORE money on that flop.. vs a flop that stuck to the target costs.

It just seems like just about every successful item that sells has different options at different price points. From paper products to cell phones to cars, they all have competing of different priced products (different models) from the same manufacturers.

#1304 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I doubt they a sell a few hundred of these

Would Stern ever lower the price? Cue the laughing image again.

#1306 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The chickens are coming home to roost on this one DC.

Is it sad that deep down I hope Deeproot is successful and puts a hurting on the present pinball industry?

#1433 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I need to borrow your pic. Thanks.
The Rules:
1st Rule) Drop Targets are Seawitch.
Last Rule) Light John, George,Paul and Ringo to increase spinner value. This is Seawitch.
All of the other rules are of this new pin. You are going to have to shoot things when you are told to shoot those things.
Rule) Drop 1-9-6-4 in order. Seawitch you just drop them. To drop those long shots in order will be a monster task.
Rule spell Fab Four) Those are the bottom drops and the 4 in the middle. Not too hard to hit on Seawitch, but if you have to hit something in order for Fab Four to lite up, the magnitude of difficulty greatly increase.
Those of you who think there is nothing here will be surprised. There are some hard things to shoot for on this pin.
I'll keep my Seawitch but I would like to play one of these on Free Play. I think this one will pick your pockets.
[quoted image]

Is it possible by "in order" they mean that they will reset individual targets that are knocked down unless they are the next one that needs to be hit.
With drop targets you often hit more than one at a time anyway, so it would seem nearly impossible to hit each of the four targets individually and in order. In other words, as an example, if the 1 target is knocked down and then the 64 were knocked down then the 64 would be reset because the 9 is what needs to be hit next.

#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If rumors are true that distributors get 10 packs (7 golds, 2 platinum, and 1 diamond) for 70k, then I would be down for a gamble if 9 others are...
I propose a purchase price of $7100 each person. The Distributor gets to make a grand and does nothing but instruct the drop shipment of games.
For that $7100 each person gets a number from 1-10. We do a random number generator and the first number picked gets the diamond, the next 2 get the platinum, and the rest get gold.
Worst case you pay $7100 plus your actual shipping (or free pickup if you live in chicagoland area) and get a gold. Get lucky and you get the diamond or platinum.
Any distributors want to make an easy grand?
I bet I can find 9 other gambling people to buy that 10 pack

I seriously doubt Stern would allow a distributor to do that.

#1733 5 years ago

Still does not appear they will have working coin slots.

1 week later
#2360 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Seems to be a Pinside forum glitch... Can't seem to see page 48... Anyone else having that issue?
Edit: OK, seems like there has to be 4 new posts before the next page can be seen. I have PM'd Robin to see if it can be fixed.

This problem has been going on in the site for weeks. I started a thread but nobody responded in it.

#2407 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

But I’ll have more time than both of you to play Pinball with my new heated driveway fellas..... no more snow tested 2 days ago...Touché [quoted image][quoted image]

B000AA71-033D-41F6-9BBF-04179D9DFDF4 (resized).jpegB000AA71-033D-41F6-9BBF-04179D9DFDF4 (resized).jpeg
#2430 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

...never is to late to apologize Pinside Members about that post. 24 hours back I was drunk, not buzzed... DRUNK! Just a few minutes ago after eating something the 1st thing to do after that, was to apologize here in "The Beatles Pinball thread" and erase that crap.
Regards

I will delete your quoted post for $10000.

#2448 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

7,995.00 plus freight.

Can’t believe the pro/gold is priced the same as MBR LE.

#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinsiders know full well what "sold out" means.
They play dumb because that's easier than just admitting that they were wrong about the demand for the Beatles pin.
Even when every single distro says they have 0 left in stock, pindicks will say "Yeah, but collectors did not even buy the game to play, they kept them in boxes to try and flip a decade from now!!!!!!!!!!!1"
"The Beatles was not marketed to me, thus it must totally suck!!!!!!!1"

Well, I guess since Beatles are sold out I can move on to a pin from another brand such as JJP or American. Way to go Stern, selling out every title. I am sorry you don't want business from people like me.

#2605 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

PM whysnow - he was offering ~$6k but maybe he's got some leads on distributors desperate to move this baby at a serious loss.

At $6000 I would probably get one. At $8000 it is not likely at all.

#2819 5 years ago
Quoted from BeatlesOnly:

After 10 days of reading Pinside posts about the Beatles machine, I have distilled my thoughts into this one giant post.
1. Depsite several Pinsiders trying to clue everyone else in that this pin was made for Beatles fans, the significance of that fact doesn't seem to be sinking in for some. It's not so much a pinball machine as it is a collectible licensed Beatles product. It isn't going to play by the rules of any other pin release. I gleaned from the posts I read that Pinsiders like to buy a machine, play it for a while, sell it and buy a different pin. I get that, but that doesn't describe a Beatles collector. For the most part, they don't buy a rare Beatles record, play it for a while, then sell it so they can get a different record (unless they are upgrading condition). Boredom is rarely a factor with premium Beatles collectors. This is likely the only pin these guys are ever going to have, and they'll keep it a long time. (But wait until the next Beatles pin, distros!)
2. One distro told me he sold his Diamond for $30K; another sold for $25K; the one on eBay has a bid of $25K with time to run. Those are the only Diamond distro sales I know of personally. Other Pinsiders have reported $25K asking prices, so that seems to be the starting line (with one exception noted in #4 below).
3. The vast majority of Pinsiders posting on the Beatles pinball topics have no comprehension of what the Beatles memorabilia world is like, or the number of collectors worldwide. Any licensed memorabilia has a waiting market of persons for whom $25,000 is not an issue. I think I saw a post suggesting there were tens of thousands of pinball enthusiasts; multiply that by at least 100 for the Beatles collectors. They will collect anything related to the Beatles. Collectors at every price point. Got something really cool and rare? Name your price.
4. Beatles memorabilia values are still going up despite the band breaking up almost 50 years ago. Think about that - that's 2.5 generations. Some suggest that now is the time to get out of Beatles collecting (much like those saying now is the time to get out of classic cars) because the core fanbase has more money now than it will ever have, but it is graying and will eventually die off. Maybe, but the Beatles aren't just any band; they're regarded by many authorities as the most significant band of all time (notice I didn't say "best" because that term is meaningless without clarification). You want to see the Beatles' appeal to today's teenagers? Go to a Paul McCartney concert. The guy is still performing in his late 70's, and the audiences have loads of kids. Values for top items like autographs, the rarest records and the coolest limited edition licensed items are not likely to stop their upward march anytime soon. (Best comparable item - Yellow Submarine jukebox.) I'll venture a prediction that the Golds might possibly see some resales under $7500 (only by non-Beatles-fan sellers); Platinums might remain at or near MIB original price; but Diamonds will not depreciate in your lifetime. I suspect many of the 100 Diamonds will never see any play, and those prices 8-10 years from now will be insane. If you're lucky, some distros may sell now for less (like the Beatles Store apparently did by jacking up the price of the Golds), but you'll be competing with buyers who know they can flip them for a profit with a little patience.
There is one caveat, and it's a BIG one. If the Beatles grant licenses for more pinball machines (Sgt Pepper, Yellow Submarine, etc.), all bets are off. Price differences between the three versions should come down. It will be interesting to see Apple Corp saying "The first one sold out - why should we reduce the license fee?", and Stern saying "Yes, but you're diluting the marketplace." The 10-pack strategy and the $8K-$25K price range might not work a second time. It may be more like $8-10-15K.
5. Again, some Pinsiders ignore the fact that the license cost from the Beatles must have been very high, maybe more than any other pin license ever. The reason you don't hear the actual Beatles (as opposed to covers) in commercials and films is because it is more expensive to license than any other music. Therefore, all arguments comparing the price to other pinball releases are moot and without merit - "apples to oranges" as they say.
6. The Seawitch vs. totally-new-game-from-scratch discussion is pointless, as is any discussion about playfield features compared to any other game. Read #1 again. I'd never heard of Seawitch, or Stern for that matter, until this month. Loops, drops, multiball, backglass, HUO, distro, Pro/LE/SLE, code, mechs, IAAPA are some of the pin terms I learned just in the past two weeks. Beatles pin buyers (at least the Plat/Dia buyers) don't know or care doodly about Seawitch, drops or loops, etc.
7. In the 1970's my dad took a used coin-op pinball machine and pool table as payment for a debt. Haven't played pinball in probably 35 years. I agree with some who have opined that the scoring into 8 digits seems odd for a 1960's-based theme, as my only previous experience is with 4 or maybe 5 digits. Wish I still had that machine, or could remember its theme, but it's long gone.
8. I also agree that having no MSRP on the Platinum and Diamond machines is horrible for end users. I have been collecting different kinds of things for 50 years, and I've never seen that strategy before. Distros who can afford the carrying cost of a 10-pack must absolutely love it.
9. Yes, I have put my money where my mouth is. I know of what I speak.
10. And one forum suggestion from someone who has been a member of several special interest forums: if you feed the pot stirrers the attention they can't get anywhere else, they never go away. Stop feeding them.

"Speaking words of wisdom, let it be".

#2855 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddict78:

I bought the game yesterday. Have been playing it all morning. The Beatles are one of my favorite bands and after playing this at IAAPA I went ahead and picked this up.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I did not realize that the cabinet sits much lower than a traditional modern Stern game.

#2907 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Watch "The Beatles Pinball Game Play: IAAPA 2018" on YouTube

It looks pretty brutal with all the side to side play. The outlanes are hungry and the disc makes the middle drain more common.

1 week later
#2973 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

If you missed it live:

What is the purpose of the upper left flipper in the game? For the upper left flipper is there a shot other than the center drop targets (which can be hit with the lower flippers)?

#2975 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Same as in Seawitch

I don't know that game well either.
It would appear from watching the video that it is better/safer not to use the upper left flipper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.