(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #343 No more speculation... Posted by BD_Designs (5 years ago)

Post #2200 Podcast with information on the game, including pricing. Posted by pin2d (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#466 5 years ago

Changes from original Seawitch I've noticed

A magnet at the top of the playfield
Spinning disc with magnet
Mystery reward standup on lower left next to 3 bank of drops
Super jackpot standup on lower left behind 3 bank of drops
Skinny standups near the loops entrances
One additional spinner (that looks kinda worthless) on the left
A few modes inserts including a 2 ball multiball and some spinner/loop/drops scoring modes

#478 5 years ago

I noticed it has a special insert. I would hope that means you can win credits, which means it will have a coin door. That or it's probably a token amount of points...

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Looks like a great collectible for rich old Beatles fans. There’s a reason it was revealed immediately after Expo but not at Expo: it’s not meant for “us.” Don’t think Stern cares too much about the Pinside take on this one. I’d expect a Munsters reveal soon to placate “us.”

I think it's also just as likely Apple Corps didn't want to launch at a pinball expo. That said, I'm surprised a Stern youtube video is the reveal and not like a Rolling Stone magazine or something else more likely to get the attention of Beatles fans.

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Not to stop the hatefest or anything, but there's no cost savings for that - even if the layout is basically Seawitch it's still a new design from scratch. Also there's notable differences, so this is a full game design situation.

Still it probably really helps to have a good starting point to modify from then starting from scratch

I think they know this will be for Beatles fans first, pinball fans maybe. They designed an easy and intuitive looking game for non-players

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Not a fan of single layer games or EM’s, pretty much anything before 1993, but I’m happy for another title and this should satisfy a lot of people’s interest. Congratulations

I think Stern should absolutely make a single layer game with the approachability of an EM or early SS. Just don't straddle it with a crazy expensive license that will make it DOA.

#503 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Not really? I mean, all the Stern mechs and everything are all different from the old ones and there's no existing drawings to work from, plus there's significant changes. It's a clean-sheet design really with all of those. "Inspired by Seawitch" is the best description.

Significant changes? It's the same layout with some minor adjustments. A decent CAD tech could draw this up in no time. They can cut and paste drop target mech designs from the modern games into this. There's really not much new to be designed here. The spinning disc with a magnet is about the only interesting thing on the whole game.

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You've basically described modern pin design. Knowing the layout "works" doesn't really save any whitewood time, you still have to build and test it all, still have to code it, still have to do all the animation and screen work. This isn't Monster Bash. Maybe they saved a day but nothing worth real money.

How many possible whitewoods would they need to go through to make this? This game has so little new design about it. There's not an interesting bash toy like Groot, or a new feature like the bullseye target from IMDN, or the rotating disc from Batman 66, etc.

Who knows what the screen will be with Stern. It could be a no thrills score display. And don't kid yourself into thinking that this thing will have interesting code. Look at the inserts, it's just starting increased values on playfield features and a 2-ball multiball. They're not making some sort of TSPP level of depth.

All of that is fine by the way, Stern should make a simple game. But it's such a waste of a license and you can clearly tell the license ate up most of the BOM for playfield elements and R&D.

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Just realized something. In the video it shows Diamond Edition 5 of 100.
Bet the first 4 goto Paul, Ringo and the widows. So only 96 left for us OH MY GAWD WHERE'S MUH CHECKBOOK?
Re early music, it actually fits pinball better than the later hippy stuff. And they can cue in screaming girls like the crowds in AC/DC to jack up the energy.
Still, what is the target market here? We've all agreed that pinball is gonna hit a wall when all the current collectors retire and move to Florida. This pin targets the retired people. Do they even buy stuff? Traditional marketing says no.

Oh you know Stern is setting aside 1-4 for the whales willing to pay even more for that plaque.

#941 5 years ago

I get that they're mainly going after The Beatles collectors, but it still seems so arrogant for Stern to say they'll make 1,964 (I guess up to that number, I kinda doubt they'll make it there unless distributors are fine with these sitting for a long time and/or Stern reaches out to high end furniture stores to buy stock).

Like people complain about Supreme, but that was a limited 200 machine run that Supreme bought upfront. I wonder how long it will take Stern sell nearly 2k when by most accounts 2k seems like a good run for any machine, let alone one with such limited appeal.

I think Stern fucked up the marketing on this in so many ways. The video was poorly made, there doesn't seem to be any media buzz around it yet, and I'm really curious how Stern intends to get the marketing message to Beatles collectors. And no matter how much they insist it will be limited, 1,964 machines is not a limited collectable. They'll probably sell the most expensive games, make the investment back, and slowly work on selling the rest of the machines. I wonder if the license includes a hard time-limit on when all of these machines need to be built and sold by. Like if they don't have to rush production and shove a bunch of stock though the channel, I can see them taking years to sell that many games.

#990 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It looks simple enough for a 70 year old Beatles fan to want to play it.
It's simple enough that a non-pinhead, 70 year old Beatles fan can service it.

A 70 year old Beatles fan that buys it will play it for a month and a few years later the person managing the estate sale will be here trying to sell it as a rare collectible. Only 1,964 made!

#1141 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The movie? Yes. The pin, not so much. Lots of reused ideas from prior pins.

If you want to get reductive, there are very few pins that don't recycle ideas. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Like Metallica and GotG are extremely similar, but they're both good games.

Like even with The Beatles, yes it's Seawitch with some tweaks, but it's still pretty different than anything Stern has made in years. Seawitch is a good game and there are some interesting changes for The Beatles.

I think Deadpool is a mediocre game, but it's not because it reused the sword ramp from LOTR (that's a cool ramp!)

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

even if they DO eventually make it a good game, it will forever be tainted with the stink of the first year out when it sucked balls

I agree Stern shoots themselves in the foot with pinheads and collectors when they ship before the code is feature complete, yet it's dumb to let old software bring your opinion down on the machine as it exists today. Batman 66 was shit when it came out and now it's one of the best Stern games. GotG was boring when it came out, and now it's a solid game.

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's almost as if [the monkees] were put together by corporate America for a comedy tv show or something.

Next thing you'll say is that's not even Michael Nesmith's real hat

1 week later
#2261 5 years ago

Vector isn't a great game, but the way it uses memory controlled drops is.

1 week later
#2701 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A small nitpick from me - going with the "simulated EM reels," I think they should have laid off the score inflation. Make it 6 digit scoring instead of 8. Coming from an EM guy, All those zeros looks funny.

It would be dope if it had over the top lights in the back box and a buzzer when you roll it

#2703 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Kind of hard to tell from the video we’ve seen so far but I think the songs are longer than many here are expecting.

I believe Joe K confirmed that they're as long as they need to be for the mode they're designed for. So some are 45 second clips and others are closer to two minutes.

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what is the last externally contracted code they had on a game?
I would think that since this is "sold out" and "not for us" that 1.04 is already considered done or close to it???
I hope that is not the case but if the majority of these games are going to non-pinball people then I see little incentive for them to pay for additional code from a contractor.

How about we wait for the game to be out to figure out if it even needs a code update? The game seems super straightforward and how many people are going to be clamoring for some super secret ultra wizard mode. If they say it's 1.04 I bet they have all the major features implemented, are content with the animations, and have squashed the majority of bugs. Not every game needs an absurd level of depth that needs a powerpoint presentation to explain.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.