(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3,741 posts
  • 458 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Neal_W
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 58 votes
    9%
  • No! 529 votes
    81%
  • Maybe? 69 votes
    11%

(656 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 414 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg
Munsters 10 May 2019 (resized).JPG
10 May 2019 (resized).JPG
Cotton 42 days (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 6.58.06 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 11.50.49 AM (resized).png
Beatles Free Play Card.pdf (PDF preview)
Beatles Instruction Card.pdf (PDF preview)
E3FF3E00-1A30-49C7-8DBD-A3DDD713B361 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 8.39.13 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 5.39.45 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 4.06.42 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 10.57.07 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 2.44.58 PM (resized).png
IMG_1314 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1313 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3741 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 75.
#3701 37 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What are the golds going for now?

If they drop to 6000 then I may buy one for home. I figure it is worth slightly more than Pro type pricing as a personal game. That said, I have been playing more BK3000 than Beatles lately

#3702 37 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What are the golds going for now?

Call around. I'm not going to spoil the party. But it's a decent discount.

#3703 37 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Call around. I'm not going to spoil the party. But it's a decent discount.

Spoil what party? There’s no rule about disclosing sale prices anymore, so smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.

#3704 37 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Spoil what party? There’s no rule about disclosing sale prices anymore, so smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.

This is not an advertised thing and I don't think Stern or other full list price dists would be happy to see it out there. Call around if you're in the market. You'll find a deal.

#3705 37 days ago

$6,800 may be a deal but not a good one. Now if you’d said they could be found for $5k, my ears would have perked up.

#3706 37 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ha Ha Ha. The Beatles mostly got hammered for no ramps and too much money. For some reason coding has not been an issue for The Beatles; I guess because it is based on a 35 year old design.
For $500.00 less for a Munsters Premium, you got the two ramps, an extra (mini) play field, and a code that everybody seems to love to hate.
So, nobody is happy

35 year old design? Hmm...I guess you are referencing the Seawitch layout. From my perspective, the Seawitch layout is more interesting than the really uninspired Munsters layout.

Trust me, there is 0 connection between "the coding" and "a 35 year old design". Look at IMDN, Stern inherited a largely complete layout/design and then screwed up many of the Premium/LE mechs (sarcophagus, captive ball, shooter lane, etc.).

Shit, my favorite game of all-time is TRON and the layout is arguably Funhouse. When it was first disclosed, I remember making fun of the major similarities. TRON is a perfect example where the sum is greater than the parts. I think this is true for The Beatles as well...particularly for folks that grew up with 80's style games.

#3707 37 days ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just sharin some #s
no need to be sensitive about it. I still love the game and think it is one of the best Stern games in the past 5 years!
I think it continues to demonstrate how the pricing model failed miserably.

The Diamond/Platinum pricing didn't make sense to me at all.

The Gold was priced similar to a Premium. I paid $7,500 when it was first released. "normal" Premiums sell for $7,000. $500 seemed like fair "premium" over a Premium due to license and unit cap of 1,614.

I hope you get your NIB Beatles Gold for $6,500, but highly doubt it will get down to 6k. Distributor margins aren't that high and I doubt they feel like losing money. I guess Stern could help distributors lower the prices even more, but that would be really out-of-character.

#3708 36 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I guess Stern could help distributors lower the prices even more, but that would be really out-of-character.

Yep. Agreed. It ain't going to happen.

#3709 36 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

$6,800 may be a deal but not a good one. Now if you’d said they could be found for $5k, my ears would have perked up.

Yeah, around Pro pricing is the point at which it becomes very interesting. Current ridiculous pricing basically means the other 900 Golds left to get to 1964 will never be made.

#3710 36 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, around Pro pricing is the point at which it becomes very interesting. Current ridiculous pricing basically means the other 900 Golds left to get to 1964 will never be made.

I just visited The Beatles Store and noticed they are charging 10k for Golds? (https://thebeatlesstore.com/collections/pinball). WTF?

While it's easy to whine about pricing, I think a more creative marketing strategy would have spurred more sales (art/rock memorabilia, CD/vinyl stores in major cities). Depending on The Beatles Store exclusively for "reaching" non-pinheads hasn't worked...

Everyone that has seen/played my Beatles Gold loves it. While pricing is apparently an issue for guys like you (who are comparing the cost with other games), there is a world of art/music memorabilia buyers that aren't going to blink on price. Unfortunately, Stern isn't working on solving that problem. Hey, if only 700 Golds actually get made, it will only strengthen resale if/when the time comes. At the moment, not many owners are letting them go.

#3711 36 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I just visited The Beatles Store and noticed they are charging 10k for Golds? (https://thebeatlesstore.com/collections/pinball). WTF?
While it's easy to whine about pricing, I think a more creative marketing strategy would have spurred more sales (art/rock memorabilia, CD/vinyl stores in major cities). Depending on The Beatles Store exclusively for "reaching" non-pinheads hasn't worked...
Everyone that has seen/played my Beatles Gold loves it. While pricing is apparently an issue for guys like you (who are comparing the cost with other games), there is a world of art/music memorabilia buyers that aren't going to blink on price. Unfortunately, Stern isn't working on solving that problem. Hey, if only 700 Golds actually get made, it will only strengthen resale if/when the time comes. At the moment, not many owners are letting them go.

Whatever Stern was thinking on the marketing and pricing, it didn't work. Selling Pros for Premium/LE/SLE pricing was rejected by the market. Thankfully. I would not be surprised to see quiet deals get made so they can offer an additional run or two at much closer to Pro pricing than the current quiet discounts so they can creep to the 1964 units that were the target that they'll never hit without doing that.

#3712 36 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Whatever Stern was thinking on the marketing and pricing, it didn't work. Selling Pros for Premium/LE/SLE pricing was rejected by the market. Thankfully. I would not be surprised to see quiet deals get made so they can offer an additional run or two at much closer to Pro pricing than the current quiet discounts so they can creep to the 1964 units that were the target that they'll never hit without doing that.

I don't expect to convince you, but you are wrong to think of Beatles Gold as a Pro.

It's outfitted much closer to a Premium (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/72#post-4853021).

#3713 36 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't expect to convince you, but you are wrong to think of Beatles Gold as a Pro.
It's outfitted much closer to a Premium (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/72#post-4853021).

It's kind of in a weird halfway place, actually. The drop targets instead of standups make it more like a Premium. The light BOM makes it more like a Pro.

#3714 36 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Good point. They could do a Pro version, but they would probably take out the spinner and either the jackpot target behind the drops or the magnet. Would people pay $5600 for a Beatles without the spinner and the target behind the drop targets? It’d be much more like an updated Sea Witch then.

#3715 36 days ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Good point. They could do a Pro version, but they would probably take out the spinner and either the jackpot target behind the drops or the magnet. Would people pay $5600 for a Beatles without the spinner and the target behind the drop targets? It’d be much more like an updated Sea Witch then.

Spinners actually, there are two in there. Also more like a premium.

edit: but to take them out would also mean a change to the programming as they are referenced rather often (make them spin like a 45)

#3716 36 days ago

I totally misposted. I meant the spinning disc. Not the spinners.

#3717 36 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

It's kind of in a weird halfway place, actually. The drop targets instead of standups make it more like a Premium. The light BOM makes it more like a Pro.

Stern avoids drop target banks since they are costly. At most, you get one drop target bank (typically in a Premium).

With Beatles, you are getting 3 drop target banks. I imagine the 2 extra banks are roughly the cost of the 2 ramps you (and others) are "missing"...especially if they are clear plastic ramps. Also 4 full-sized flippers, which adds to the BOM.

I've argued it's closer to a Premium than a Pro, but I agree it's a "weird halfway place" (not surprising, since Stern was trying something new/retro...which I also argue is goodness One thing is for sure...Beatles Gold is a much more satisfying pinball than "Whoa Nellie" or Primus (which I find incredibly basic).

#3718 36 days ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Spinners actually, there are two in there. Also more like a premium.
edit: but to take them out would also mean a change to the programming as they are referenced rather often (make them spin like a 45)

Good point...and 4 full-sized flippers (which add cost).

1 week later
#3719 29 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've argued it's closer to a Premium than a Pro, but I agree it's a "weird halfway place" (not surprising, since Stern was trying something new/retro...which I also argue is goodness One thing is for sure...Beatles Gold is a much more satisfying pinball than "Whoa Nellie" or Primus (which I find incredibly basic).

No argument there. That Pabst/Whoa Nellie/Primus platform is a total waste of time. The only problem with Beatles, really, is price. And it sucks that some of the people who PAID the price are having the playfield clear bunching issues around star posts, etc. It's crazy that no one can seem to get consistently good and durable clear on playfields these days. jjPotC is having the same problem.

#3720 29 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

No argument there. That Pabst/Whoa Nellie/Primus platform is a total waste of time. The only problem with Beatles, really, is price. And it sucks that some of the people who PAID the price are having the playfield clear bunching issues around star posts, etc. It's crazy that no one can seem to get consistently good and durable clear on playfields these days. jjPotC is having the same problem.

I'm betting the clear is not completely cured into a hardened state. If it is not baked in an oven (and I doubt any play could be) it takes a long time for automotive type clear to get really hard. Yes, it will dry and you can start color sanding it in a week or so and you can buff it to a shine, but to really cure to where you can put squeeze pressure on takes a long time.

#3721 29 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm betting the clear is not completely cured into a hardened state. If it is not baked in an oven (and I doubt any play could be) it takes a long time for automotive type clear to get really hard. Yes, it will dry and you can start color sanding it in a week or so and you can buff it to a shine, but to really cure to where you can put squeeze pressure on takes a long time.

I think you are correct. Having built a couple homes over the past 5 years, I can tell you the poor build quality issues usually boil down to time. Here is an example: The floor in the photo below is simulated wood made from porcelain. The tile has simulated grain to give you the feel of wood. The guys who installed it didn't take the time to wipe the residual grout off (the texture requires more time to reach into the grooves). The hour or so they "saved" resulted in a 7-day cleanup that involved 5 guys scraping every nook and cranny with a razor blade. They tried to loosen the grout/cement with acid and it didn't work. Sigh.

Many products that are hand-made have issues in today's world, where companies are trying to do more with less. Pinball isn't unique, unfortunately.

IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg
#3722 29 days ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think you are correct. Having built a couple homes over the past 5 years, I can tell you the poor build quality issues usually boil down to time. Here is an example: The floor in the photo below is simulated wood made from porcelain. The tile has simulated grain to give you the feel of wood. The guys who installed it didn't take the time to wipe the residual grout off (the texture requires more time to reach into the grooves). The hour or so they "saved" resulted in a 7-day cleanup that involved 5 guys scraping every nook and cranny with a razor blade. They tried to loosen the grout/cement with acid and it didn't work. Sigh.
Many products that are hand-made have issues in today's world, where companies are trying to do more with less. Pinball isn't unique, unfortunately.[quoted image]

I sure would not be hiring those guys for my next floor.

#3723 28 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I sure would not be hiring those guys for my next floor.

They were hired by the builder...I had no say/control. Important to note that the sub-contractor stood behind the installation and did the entire cleanup. Other than the 1 week inconvenience, it all turned out fine. Floor looks great now.

Big builders put tremendous pressure on their subs...it's the way of the world now. Ditto for pinball manufacturing...all about how many they can crank out per week. Companies deal with the collateral damage on a case-by-case basis.

#3724 28 days ago

I Think i have alot of airballs, its when shooting the targets behind the disc.
Any one know of kit to prevent it?

#3725 28 days ago
Quoted from SMI3:

I Think i have alot of airballs, its when shooting the targets behind the disc.
Any one know of kit to prevent it?

Stern developed an airball kit. Unfortunately, you need to ask for it...contact Stern support.

#3726 28 days ago

Yep... call your distro or Stern. Nice kit, for some reason they sent me 2.

In the meantime reducing flipper power will help.

I haven’t had any rippling on mine or noticed any defects in clear and got mine pretty early first week of December.

This is the first I’m even hearing about clearcoat issues other than dimples from airballs.

#3727 28 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yep... call your distro or Stern. Nice kit, for some reason they sent me 2.
In the meantime reducing flipper power will help.
I haven’t had any rippling on mine or noticed any defects in clear and got mine pretty early first week of December.
This is the first I’m even hearing about clearcoat issues other than dimples from airballs.

Look around the star posts for a bunching effect. We had the same issue on our Pro Iron Maiden for the route, but it wasn't as bad as what I'm seeing on jjPotC or the few Beatles I've seen at the moment. Our recent Deadpool Premium seems fine, though. Playfield clear, man. Hard clear that performs is a lost (or illegal with the old stuff) art.

#3728 28 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Look around the star posts for a bunching effect. We had the same issue on our Pro Iron Maiden for the route, but it wasn't as bad as what I'm seeing on jjPotC or the few Beatles I've seen at the moment. Our recent Deadpool Premium seems fine, though. Playfield clear, man. Hard clear that performs is a lost (or illegal with the old stuff) art.

I looked super closely, don’t have it happening.

I know what it looks like because I have it on my JJP potc.

#3729 28 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I looked super closely, don’t have it happening.
I know what it looks like because I have it on my JJP potc.

Yep, looks almost exactly the same except maybe a bit less severe than jjPotC.

3 weeks later
#3730 6 days ago

SDTM Episode 95: Beatles Pinball Machine Review

#3731 4 days ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Episode 95: Beatles Pinball Machine Review

A bit long, but I agree with the bottom line expressed in the review. Beatles plays way better than any solid state game out there, and it's heaps of fun. Sure it's expensive. But it looks great and is a pleasure to play.

#3732 4 days ago

Another great review from the SDTM team. Beatles is a fantastic game. People really need to give it a chance. Great work Zach and Greg for your commitment to this industry.

Thank you
Amusement Services of America

#3733 4 days ago

Anyone have any idea how many more Stern built recently? Looks like they did make somewhat of a second run.

Seems many dealers now have all models in stock again.

#3734 4 days ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Another great review from the SDTM team. Beatles is a fantastic game.

I love those guys, but a "review" from a distributor is an advertisement.

That said, great game. (This message brought to you by just some dude.)

#3735 3 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone have any idea how many more Stern built recently? Looks like they did make somewhat of a second run.
Seems many dealers now have all models in stock again.

Did they do a second run already? I'm not sure that's correct. Why do you think they have made more? It could be that dealers who sold out bought some off dealers who didn't sell out. The Australian dealer sold out a few moths ago and is taking orders for the next production run, but there is no time frame indicated, which possibly means Stern will do the second production run once they have enough orders in place.

Anyone got any information of the second production run's likely timing?

#3736 3 days ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Australian dealer sold out a few moths ago and is taking orders for the next production run

Likely a different case since they have wait for enough orders of BKSOR, Beatles, and Munsters combined to fill a container. I'm no mathlete but NIB is 31"x31" and a container is 40'x8' = 45pins

#3737 3 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Likely a different case since they have wait for enough orders of BKSOR, Beatles, and Munsters combined to fill a container. I'm no mathlete but NIB is 31"x31" and a container is 40'x8' = 45pins

Your container calculations are pretty much close to the mark, however the Australian distributor is actually one of Stern's largest single purchaser of pinball machines. They sold their MunstersLE allocation within a few hours, and purchased their Beatles, independently of any orders after release. Demand for pinball machines in Australia has been very high for 4-5 years now, especially the last 2 years. The distributor has no problem filling containers. And that's despite the fact that the Aussie dollar is very low against the Greenback (making these toys unbelievably expensive for the poor battling Aussie enthusiast). The Aussie distributor sold their substantial allocation of Beatles fairly quickly, and is now taking orders for more, irrespective of space they have left in the next container.
By the way, they use two sizes of containers to ship to Sydney (depending on the number of machines on order).

#3738 3 days ago

33 games in a 20ft

72 in a 40ft high cube

#3739 3 days ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Did they do a second run already? I'm not sure that's correct. Why do you think they have made more? It could be that dealers who sold out bought some off dealers who didn't sell out. The Australian dealer sold out a few moths ago and is taking orders for the next production run, but there is no time frame indicated, which possibly means Stern will do the second production run once they have enough orders in place.
Anyone got any information of the second production run's likely timing?

I’m not sure but somehow several dealers all of a sudden have nib diamond and platinum, they didn’t a few months ago.

#3740 3 days ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

33 games in a 20ft
72 in a 40ft high cube

How? Wouldn’t it be 66 (33*2) in a 40 ft?

#3741 3 days ago

72 is how many unboxed pins can be stuffed in a container standing on end with a row laying on top. The guys that used to reimport them from Europe would talk about containers with 72 pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Contact
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NY
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 0.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3741 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 75.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside