(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 76.
#1601 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

The thing that really sucks here is the fact that Stern has made this a mandatory purchase.
I was hoping to pay in full for a pin that would never actually be manufactured, but Stern is forcing me to pay stupid money for an actual fun pinball machine. It’s just not fair.
Some of the long time collectors here can back me up. There was once was a time when you could simply pass on a pin that was not to your liking for a variety of reasons.
Now though, with mandatory purchasing in effect it’s impossible not to be upset... Nay, OUTRAGED by this machine. I don’t even WANT this pin, but I have to buy it. So, you can see why I’m so angry.
It’s just a question of which model they’re forcing me to buy. It has to be Platinum or Diamond, I guess. I’m not going to put the Peasant version in my arcade!

Yeah I get it, the Distro pumpers are out in full force! Platinum or Diamond, go big or go home.

#1602 5 years ago

Pump it up!

You know it must be bad when distributors are calling YOU to inquire about your "platinum" or "diamond" purchase!

#nothanks

#1603 5 years ago

The vote count seems overwhelming. No?

When distributors are calling you to pump the "Platinum" and "Diamond" editions you know it must be really LOW demand.

#1604 5 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Between this and the AP Octoberfest themed pin, we've hit a lull in my interest and I'm sure a few other people's as well across these two upcoming titles. Won't have to worry about breaking the bank or running out of room to buy these two

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A lull of interest?!
There's like 10 thriving threads on pinside for both.

Ahhh, I said 'my interest', as in my specific interest to purchase and also surmised a few other members in both this and Octoberfest. Definitely not speaking for how much discussion they spark either positive or negative . Mind you both the poll and this other thread are hardly inspiring https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far

#1605 5 years ago

I know that I'm late to the party, but this link is some funny s*@t. I've seen various Hitler videos before, but never seen this one. Congrats to whoever set this one up, you did a great job!

#1606 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I remember how Tron was "just a Funhouse rehash" to the peanut gallery. Until like, they actually played it.

Yup. Everyone was so anti-TRON it was a joke. Now its considered a premium game. Like I said. This game will have more shots then any WPC 90's game and will probably end up being a really good game. Seawitch with improved rules is no joke.

#1607 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Yup. Everyone was so anti-TRON it was a joke. Now its considered a premium game. Like I said. This game will have more shots then any WPC 90's game and will probably end up being a really good game. Seawitch with improved rules is no joke.

So we can put you down for a Diamond or Platinum?

#1608 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I dare someone to try and watch this without laughing!!

OMG!!!! I am in tears. This is so hilarious. Awesome...

#1609 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So we can put you down for a Diamond or Platinum?

Double Diamond ...with Platinum legs

#1610 5 years ago

Ahh...this thing is dead in the water. It will never sell.

A cheap POS that costs way too much money.

It looks like a cheap toy.

Why, It does not even

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 11.30.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-30 at 11.30.30 PM (resized).png

have a floppy disc drive.
+++++++++++++++++++

And we know how that story turned out.

#1611 5 years ago
Quoted from BrettC208:

I talked with my distributor that I buy all my pins from. Sounds like he was trying to figure out pricing and he might not have sufficient amount of diamond and platinum games for everyone who wants one. If you want one I would start making phone calls and be prepared to pay way to much. He said he will know more next Tuesday. I don't like the way this is going down and I am not getting involved.

I don't always walk in the shop asking for prices, but when I don't want to be involved in buying.

#1612 5 years ago

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles the past couple of days. There's a great catalog of songs that would be perfect for a pinball machine. Many of these songs stand the test of time and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Stern could have easily made a modern Beatles pin with songs from the band's later selections that would have appealed to a wide audience.

Instead, Stern focussed on early Beatles with a basic layout. I don't buy for one second that Stern did this because they knew Beatles would only sell to those who saw their last concert or are just huge fans. No, this was intentional as a way to keep development costs low and bring in record profits.

There are some people who think of The Beatles as old and something only their parents or grandparents listened to. That isn't true of course but Stern and Ka-Pow isn't helping breaking that mindset with a game that well...looks old.

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't buy for one second that Stern did this because they knew Beatles would only sell to those who saw their last concert or are just huge fans.

Only huge fans are going to buy a $25,000 pinball machine

Only Huge fans are going to buy a $15,000 pinball machine

Only huge fans are going to buy an $8,000 pinball machine

Only Huge fans are going to buy a $199 CD box set

23d2ee4e-0a19-4f68-9d59-4db868830d48_1.7a5f585e47df1d1eb66ecc2e0829b748 (resized).jpeg23d2ee4e-0a19-4f68-9d59-4db868830d48_1.7a5f585e47df1d1eb66ecc2e0829b748 (resized).jpeg
#1614 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Unless the laws have changed, no manufacturer can tell a distributor or retailer what price they can put on, or have to put on an item for sale. This is why you see the auto makers price sheets say MSRP. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Of course, the factory can make life a little difficult for a retailer who does not want to play ball. Apple plays a tough game, for instance.
Car dealers have been known every once in awhile for jacking the price on a hot selling car and there was not much the factory could do about it, although I believe 10 years ago when GM made its great dealer cut, GM made a concerted effort to dump some of its less than stellar dealers.
For the manufacturer, it is not good when a opportunistic retailer tries to fleece the public. It is also not good when a weak retailer starts discounting the price and cheapen the brand.

They call it MAP - market adjusted price

Still done frequently on high demand, difficult to obtain models

#1615 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Ka-Pow are the IP holders and STERN are manufacturing for them.
Why so much hate for STERN? Why any hate at all?

No

Think of it like a partnership. It’s not simply a contract game like MMr was. They collaborate on the concept and project... but it’s still a stern project. Kia pow brings certain elements to the project, like the licensing, and stern brings the game muscle.

#1616 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Stern didn't design it did they? They are just making it.

Incorrect.

#1617 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They call it MAP - market adjusted price
Still done frequently on high demand, difficult to obtain models

MAP stands for minimum advertised price.

#1618 5 years ago

How can someone vote this down?

"Me hatez this facts! Let's downvote!" ?

#1619 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

How can someone vote this down?
"Me hatez this facts! Let's downvote!" ?

LMAO

People do not like facts anymore.

#1620 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO

These are alternative facts

#1621 5 years ago

Who gets design credit for this game? The original Seawitch designer?

#1622 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Only huge
Only Huge fans are going to buy a $199 CD box set[quoted image]

They still make CDs?

#1623 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO

Don't shoot the messenger... XD

#1624 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

They still make CDs?

They obviously have to for Beatles fans, because they are old.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stereo-Box-Set-Remaster-Limited-Edition-Digi-Pak/11996870

#1625 5 years ago

I own that set since 2009 and I'm 39 years.

http _bilmoore.com_wp-content_uploads_2012_08_Im-Right (resized).jpghttp _bilmoore.com_wp-content_uploads_2012_08_Im-Right (resized).jpg
#1626 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I own that set since 2009 and I'm 39 years. [quoted image]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but @39, you are old.

Kids would have just downloaded those discs as lossless FLACs, in way less time than it took you to drive to Saturn.

You can always tell old minded people because they want to "show off" their CDs and DVDs on a shelf, whereas hipsters rip all their media to their PLEX servers, and then dispose or sell off the physical media.

They display the cover art and booklets on big touch screen monitors.

It's nice.

#1627 5 years ago

Yep but the CDs sound better in the car.

#1628 5 years ago

Not compared to FLAC

#1629 5 years ago

The source is the CD. You can't do better than the source. Plus you need a flac player to plug into your usb, whereas I just use my nice car CD player.
Certainly both good options.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Not compared to FLAC

#1630 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The source is the CD. You can't do better than the source.

Actually, FLACs sound better than CDs, because the processor in a CD player is "guessing" at the bits that are obscured by scratches, fingerprints and dust.

FLACs get a checksum at the end of the rip to make sure that every bit is intact, no guesswork.

If you have a Ford car made in the last decade, it can read FLACs, MP3s, or even an old iPod plugged straight into the USB port. It's not in the owners manual, but for some reason it works.

#1631 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Actually, FLACs sound better than CDs, because the processor in a CD player is "guessing" at the bits that are obscured by scratches, fingerprints and dust.
FLACs get a checksum at the end of the rip to make sure that every bit is intact, no guesswork.
If you have a Ford car made in the last decade, it can read FLACs, MP3s, or even an old iPod plugged straight into the USB port. It's not in the owners manual, but for some reason it works.

From what do you imagine people encode FLACs from?

#1632 5 years ago

Finally this thread is getting interesting!

So like, as I get older, does it really matter what I'm listening to? I can't imagine my ears can tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kb rip of a CD.

Generally, music sounds shittier than ever but I don't even notice. It's also more convinient than ever which I do notice.

I remember when we got a CD player in 1989 or so, and I was all "Mom, doesn't this sound amazing?!"

She said "all I care about is that I don't have to flip the record over anymore."

#1633 5 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

From what do you imagine people encode FLACs from?

I don't think you understand how CD-ROM drives are different than CD Players:

A CD Player is based on the best computer processing we had in 1978.

A CD PLAYER has to just guess at the missing bits based on the surrounding bits. It can't just pause the music while it tries a bit-accurate retrieval. So any fingerprints or dust cause the CD Player to read back inaccurately.

A CD-ROM drive can slow itself down to .1X below realtime (so like 20 RPM).

A CD-ROM drive can slow down and to retrieve the actual bits, that could never be done in realtime.

If a CD-ROM cannot retrieve the bits to match the checksum, the program flags those FLAC files as failed.

You then can polish out the scratches with NOVUS#2 and try those tracks again, or just download the perfect tracks from usenet.

IN Summary:

Your CD player is not playing the correct bits if there are dust or fingerprints on the disc.

FLACs don't get dust or scratches on them, and have a built in checksum to insure they are uncorrupted. Thus they only play back bit-accurate music.

#1634 5 years ago

No love for vinyl records?
81dkDo3fU3L__SL1500_ (resized).jpg81dkDo3fU3L__SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#1635 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So like, as I get older, does it really matter what I'm listening to? I can't imagine my ears can tell the difference between FLAC and a 320kb rip of a CD.

As your CDs get older, they are collecting more micro-scratches, so they probably do sound worse (let alone any bitrot in the aluminum vapor coating).

On headphones you can certainly hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC.

In your 2000 era noisy truck, maybe not so much.

FLACs are also available in much higher bitrates than CDs.

So while CDs only have 44 khz bitrate, FLACs are availble in over 320 khz.

Those hi-rez files are NOT ripped from CD, and must be recorded on better equipment than the 1978 computer processors could have done.

#1636 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

As your CDs get older, they are collecting more micro-scratches, so they probably do sound worse (let alone any bitrot in the aluminum vapor coating).
On headphones you can certainly hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC.
In your 2000 era noisy truck, maybe not so much.
FLACs are also available in much higher bitrates than CDs.
So while CDs only have 44 khz bitrate, FLACs are availble in over 320 khz.
Those hi-rez files are NOT ripped from CD, and must be recorded on better equipment than the 1978 computer processors could have done.

None of that shit matters. Once you get tinnitus from listening to all the crap we have over the years and seen umpteen concerts without protection, you can't hear shit anymore anyway except the constant ringing that never goes away. Can't count how many people I know over 50 that have it.

#1638 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but @39, you are old.

In context of the whole discussion of Beatles fans beeing gramps and average pinsiders are too young to care I'm a fledgling.

#1639 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

MAP stands for minimum advertised price.

correction - it ALSO stands for...

market adjustment - market adjusted - are both terms used by car dealers AS WELL.

#1640 5 years ago
Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

No love for vinyl records?
[quoted image]

Love me some vinyl but it costs about twice as much as the CD set LOL!!!!

#1641 5 years ago

Dang I must be old according to reading this Flac stuff

I still play Basf or Tdk in my car
Sounds crispy , just the way I like it

#1642 5 years ago

Yeah, I like me some Beatles, but not a game I would be interested in. Especially at that price point. I’ll be happy to throw a couple games on one out in the wild or at a fellow pinhead’s house. The color scheme is reminiscent of Austin Powers, not real attractive at least in my eyes.

And BTW - MAP is also an acronym for “Money and Pocket”...aka the ol cash grab.

Some have to find it hilarious that they go from Iron Maiden (heavy metal - 666 extravaganza), to Deadpool (most profane, foul-mouthed superhero) to The Beatles and “In My Life.” I’ll give Stern credit though...they certainly want everybody’s money...um, I mean want to market to everybody.

I’m sure the game will be sparkly and shoot fairly well (Seawitch is fun as hell). But in my mind a Beatles pin playing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds sitting next to my MET blaring out Blackened with the sub woofer stomping some kick ass double bass just doesn’t seem like a good pairing.

Ironically, I was just at the Hard Rock in NYC a few weeks ago and happened to take a picture of this.

9FC8FD93-24CE-485F-92E5-C7E2494B6350 (resized).jpeg9FC8FD93-24CE-485F-92E5-C7E2494B6350 (resized).jpeg

#1643 5 years ago

Since this game has no ramps, am I the only one wondering why they didn't put it in a similar cabinet as Pabst Can Crusher? That would have made sense to me as it reflects on how pinball machines used to look back then. It would also allow for a big backglass and still have an LCD in it. Putting in stepper motor score reels could also be an option.

#1644 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Since this game has no ramps, am I the only one wondering why they didn't put it in a similar cabinet as Pabst Can Crusher? That would have made sense to me as it reflects on how pinball machines used to look back then. It would also allow for a big backglass and still have an LCD in it. Putting in stepper motor score reels could also be an option.

You’re not the only one- thought exactly the same. Would have been way cooler.

Guess it probably cost more though...so yeh, Stern and all.

#1645 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You’re not the only one- thought exactly the same. Would have been way cooler.
Guess it probably cost more though...so yeh, Stern and all.

Good point.

I know a lot of people say *bla* TNA costs $6K so well what do you expect The Beatles are a proper license (on par with anything including SW) so it's logical that Beatles would cost a bit more. But IMO TNA is more than meets the eye. But of course we have not seen/played The Beatles (I'm sure it's fun) but it's costing as much as LE pins used to go for (STLE) and it's more clearly a pro pin maybe a semi-pro. But anyway it's going to sell or not sell it's not my concern. I only feel let down because The Beatles pin if done the same manner as Maiden, Ac/Dc or Metallica with (IMO) rock songs like Helter Skelter/Revolution and psycedelicic songs like LSD or I am the walrus could have been EPIC.

It's almost as if Stern said well the license is costing double so we should make the design and art as cheaply as possible to make up for that.

To say that The Beatles are huge is an understatement. I was looking at Sgt. Peppers Wiki page and it's about the longest wiki page I've ever seen and that's just one album.

#1646 5 years ago

Curious if anyone will admit ordering one of the 50 USA diamond edition at $50,000

Anyone ?

#1647 5 years ago

Anyone notice the teaser video's gone already?

UMG flagged/blocked it on Stern's YouTube channel (at least here in the US)...

#1648 5 years ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

Anyone notice the teaser video's gone already?
UMG flagged/blocked it on Stern's YouTube channel (at least here in the US)...

It’s still on the Beatles store website.

#1649 5 years ago

If rumors are true that distributors get 10 packs (7 golds, 2 platinum, and 1 diamond) for 70k, then I would be down for a gamble if 9 others are...

I propose a purchase price of $7100 each person. The Distributor gets to make a grand and does nothing but instruct the drop shipment of games.
For that $7100 each person gets a number from 1-10. We do a random number generator and the first number picked gets the diamond, the next 2 get the platinum, and the rest get gold.

Worst case you pay $7100 plus your actual shipping (or free pickup if you live in chicagoland area) and get a gold. Get lucky and you get the diamond or platinum.

Any distributors want to make an easy grand?

I bet I can find 9 other gambling people to buy that 10 pack

#1650 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If rumors are true that distributors get 10 packs (7 golds, 2 platinum, and 1 diamond) for 70k, then I would be down for a gamble if 9 others are...
I propose a purchase price of $7100 each person. The Distributor gets to make a grand and does nothing but instruct the drop shipment of games.
For that $7100 each person gets a number from 1-10. We do a random number generator and the first number picked gets the diamond, the next 2 get the platinum, and the rest get gold.
Worst case you pay $7100 plus your actual shipping (or free pickup if you live in chicagoland area) and get a gold. Get lucky and you get the diamond or platinum.
Any distributors want to make an easy grand?
I bet I can find 9 other gambling people to buy that 10 pack

I liked my idea better
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far/page/3#post-4664321

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/33?hl=jefryan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.