(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 76.
#1101 5 years ago

Sony bought the entire Beatles catalog from Jackson’s estate in 2016 so stern probably licensed with Sony. However McCartney bought the catalog back this year after years of trying so i guess the license for the pin is now with McCartney.

Quoted from dtown:

One thing I found odd was the song choice. Yes, none of the five listed songs ever charted #1 (cept Ticket)but, also, some of them just don’t fit the Beatlemania era that the pin seems to be going for.
All My Loving, It Won’t Be Long and I Should have Known Better fit well. However, Ticket To Ride and, especially, Drive My Car don’t seem right. They’re at that cusp of when The Beatles started to get away from that.
Not to mention that Beatlemania revolved heavily around live performances and It Won’t Be Long, I Should Have Know Better and Drive My Car were rarely, if at all, ever played live. The Beatles would pretty much play the same set list over and over, changing up when they released new material.
Another thing that’s odd is I’m pretty sure that’s the Capitol single for Yesterday/Act Naturally at the bottom of the playfield too along with another one in red that I can’t make out. Also odd choices. I wouldn’t be surprised if the remaining members and their families are limited in what they can use of their own music due to MJ’s estate.

#1102 5 years ago

If I had to pick just five songs to represent the Beatlemania era it would be:

She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
All My Loving
A Hard Days Night
Twist and Shout (or Please Please Me since Twist and Shout wasn't originally a Beatles song although their version is much better)

Can't Buy Me Love could be swapped in there too.

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stil, I don't understand how Harmonix with their Beatles Rock Band game managed to get a ton of songs into that game and Stern only got 5...

Video games can have massive budgets and the ability to spread costs over millions of units instead of thousands. Many video game production budgets rival or exceed that of feature films. GTA 5 had a budget of over 250 million:

https://wccftech.com/gta-v-most-expensive-video-game-history/

#1104 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

So,in retrospect they turned to a theme from the BBC show called "Ready,Steady.GO! which the BBC has the rights to use the music the Beatles recorded on the show!! Thats why only five songs appear to be included!

This statement explains it all, sub par license rights. No way Joe paid any where near a million dollars for these rights. I was wondering why they would not do Yellow Submarine, and this explains it all-thanks for the clarification.

I am torn on this whole title. One part of me wants to think it is cool and a refreshing change and the other half of me is soured by the choice to offer overpriced machines to the public. I like the machine but I hate their sales tactics.

Starting to think Ka-pow/Stern partnership is not good for the long term and overall health of this hobby(Wonder what Gary's father would think about this tactic? Is it all about the money nowadays?)

#1105 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Tell me all the times in manufacturing history a company trying to create a collectable market has actually succeeded in creating a collectable market?

It almost never works that way.

Collectables become collectable. They don't start out that way.

McFarlane Toys comes to mind. Many collectable / props companies do this today. Heck, Hallmark does this. From a business standpoint it doesn't matter if the item maintains value and has a strong secondary market.what matter is creating a precived value.

When UperDeck saturated the baseball card market, they profited greatly from the perception that baseball cards were collectibles. In turn they killed the value of those collectibles, but probably had a good run.

#1106 5 years ago

Do we know how many songs are included in the pin?

#1107 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Do we know how many songs are included in the pin?

No.

#1108 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

McFarlane Toys comes to mind. Many collectable / props companies do this today. Heck, Hallmark does this. From a business standpoint it doesn't matter if the item maintains value and has a strong secondary market.what matter is creating a precived value.
When UperDeck saturated the baseball card market, they profited greatly from the perception that baseball cards were collectibles. In turn they killed the value of those collectibles, but probably had a good run.

You're talking about what I'm talking about. You can't make a sustained collectable market when you set out to make a collectable market. It can be great for Ty corp. selling beanie babies, but it seldom works out for the people buying them.

#1109 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My theory is that Stern was restricted to a specific set of songs, the five listed on the playfield, with what they paid for the license. It's likely that adding songs from other eras would have increased licensing costs dramatically. Stil, I don't understand how Harmonix with their Beatles Rock Band game managed to get a ton of songs into that game and Stern only got 5...

The only restriction they likely faced on that front was how much they were willing to pay, whilst maintaining some kind of continuity in the machine.

They could definitely pay more than the rumoured $1-2M total license cost and still make huge profits. But why do it when they can get away with less?

#1110 5 years ago

I guess it's obvious now that all Ka-pow machines will be reskins
It's the lowest cost path to market when Ka-pow and stern both have to make money off the machines

#1111 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I guess it's obvious now that all Ka-pow machines will be reskins
It's the lowest cost path to market when Ka-pow and stern both have to make money off the machines

Maiden was the first fully original layout for a while. All the others were partly recycled, not just Ka-Pow.

#1112 5 years ago

Deadpool is originall. Love it or hate it it's original.

#1113 5 years ago

The Beatles are Coming!! What we know and rumors about the upcoming Beatles PINBALL machine:

- Timeline
- Availability
- Features
- Pricing Rumors

https://thisweekinpinball.com/the-beatles-are-coming/

#1114 5 years ago

Despite being let down, I still want to play it.

#1115 5 years ago

Admittedly, I don’t know how pinball licensing works, but it strikes me a bit as unlogical that having a few more songs increases the cost of the license. Unless it is connected with the per play fees going on ASCAP or GEMA or similar, but even then the fewer the songs in the game, the more often the game will play a given song.

But I would also think that the main goal of the brand would be to ensure that the pinball game does not damage the brand. Ideally it should have an advertising effect. The Beatles is such an enormous business- why would they haggle over how many and which songs?

#1116 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

This is the kind of stuff that will bug real Beatles fans.....You know.. The ones this machine was targeting....

that's not true at all. Real superfans are sick of the "hits" and would likely be intrigued by this setlist!

Just go to the Stones forum any tour and read post after post of people whining about hearing Brown Sugar again.

I personally didn't even know the song It Won't Be Long. And now I do! It's great!

#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

that's not true at all. Real superfans are sick of the "hits."
Just go to the Stones forum any tour and read post after post of people whining about hearing Brown Sugar again.

I was talking about the era mixing and having someone who doesn't understand the full history of the band designing a "collectors item"...

#1118 5 years ago

And with the Beatles, 70% of what they wrote are the "Hits". If you're sick of the Beatles hits, you're sick of the Beatles.

#1119 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

And with the Beatles, 70% of what they wrote are the "Hits". If you're sick of the Beatles hits, you're sick of the Beatles.

True!

I'll just point out one more time that like many, many things about this game we don't actually know what songs will be in the game. Iron Maiden has 6 song modes but another 6 or so songs in the game that aren't written on the playfield.

#1120 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Sword and ramp designs are recycled. Also, it came after Maiden.

#1121 5 years ago

Can’t wait for more info to be released, only thing bugging me is only 5 known songs at the moment. If there are say 3-5 more that are selectable at game start I’d be 100% good with it!

#1122 5 years ago

Beatles will be at Pincinnati! (They should be available in time) Get your tickets now to check it out!

www.pincinnati.com

#1123 5 years ago

Well I am out, so I might as well get the hell out of this thread. I am better off spending my time looking for some affordable used Sterns that are under-rated. I still need to check out BBH, Sopranos, Monopoly, Aerosmith, Mustang, etc. So many good, affordable classics. Can't waste another minute of my time on this bs.

For everyone who gets suckered into this one-enjoy it and if it makes you happy-that is all that counts. I am a man of principle and sorry but this is nothing but a cash grab. I'm out, now get me out of here.

Get me out of here.gifGet me out of here.gifGreat Pitch.jpgGreat Pitch.jpg
#1124 5 years ago

Beatles Rock Band had EA money behind it which makes our little pinball hobby look like the change in your couch cushions. Also of note the game wasn't considered a success in the end though a lot of that had to do with the plastic guitar game genre dying out.

#1125 5 years ago

My dreams of a, 'Revolution #9' multiball are dashed.

#1126 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Admittedly, I don’t know how pinball licensing works, but it strikes me a bit as unlogical that having a few more songs increases the cost of the license.

The trick is to license all the songs from the same source.

Did you ever notice that movies like GOTG only use songs from a single companies catalog?

Or did you ever notice that at "greatest hits" album will have a live version of the band's biggest hit? That's often because the artist was with a different label at that time in their career, and it would cost too much money to get tracks from 2 different corps.

#1127 5 years ago

You know it's a turd when Stern disables the comments on its own YouTube video.....
You say Hello and I say Goodbye

#1128 5 years ago

I don't know about you guys but I am waiting for the Monkees Vault edition to come out. They were a huge influence on the Beatles.

monkees (resized).jpgmonkees (resized).jpg
#1129 5 years ago

I second a Monkees pin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1130 5 years ago

Plus you have all the video from the TV show for the LCD monitor!!!!!

#1131 5 years ago

More of a white album guy.

If nothing from that album is on this game it's going to be a failure in my mind...

#1132 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't know about you guys but I am waiting for the Monkees Vault edition to come out. They were a huge influence on the Beatles.[quoted image]

The Monkees were after the Beatles. "Dumb and Dumber" reference?

#1133 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The Monkees were after the Beatles.

joke (resized).jpgjoke (resized).jpg

#1134 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

[quoted image]

Already amended my post.

Although I do wonder if the TV Monkees stuff influenced what the Beatles did in video content. I would have to go back and research dates. I am not sure about the chronology of all that.

#1135 5 years ago

Based on Joe’s last interview it sounds like this is his final Kapow “boutique” pin

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Based on Joe’s last interview it sounds like this is his final Kapow “boutique” pin

That would be fine by me.
I don't know why Stern does not do what Deeproot says they are going to do and price each game differently based on costs rather than nickel and dime parts out of each game. I believe there would be more satisfied customers that way.

#1137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

You know it's a turd when Stern disables the comments on its own YouTube video.....
You say Hello and I say Goodbye

you cant even find the video on their youtube page or a youtube search, its unlisted now (they did this after a few hours). you have to find a link to it from when it was listed lol

edit: before they disabled comments it had about triple the thumbs downs as ups lol

#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't know why Stern does not do what Deeproot says they are going to do and price each game differently based on costs rather than nickel and dime parts out of each game. I believe there would be more satisfied customers that way.

You don't price your product based on costs... costs dictate the minimums you must cover... not what you sell at. You price your product based on how you market it... ensuring you can cover costs and expected margins.

Until deeproot is transparent on what they are actually building - you shouldn't use them as any landmark on successful product strategies.

#1139 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My theory is that Stern was restricted to a specific set of songs, the five listed on the playfield, with what they paid for the license. It's likely that adding songs from other eras would have increased licensing costs dramatically. Stil, I don't understand how Harmonix with their Beatles Rock Band game managed to get a ton of songs into that game and Stern only got 5...

$250 million in sales vs $20-$25 million in sales. 10x or more the budget.

#1140 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

The movie? Yes. The pin, not so much. Lots of reused ideas from prior pins.

#1141 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The movie? Yes. The pin, not so much. Lots of reused ideas from prior pins.

If you want to get reductive, there are very few pins that don't recycle ideas. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Like Metallica and GotG are extremely similar, but they're both good games.

Like even with The Beatles, yes it's Seawitch with some tweaks, but it's still pretty different than anything Stern has made in years. Seawitch is a good game and there are some interesting changes for The Beatles.

I think Deadpool is a mediocre game, but it's not because it reused the sword ramp from LOTR (that's a cool ramp!)

#1142 5 years ago

Very surprised there isn't an owners thread yet.. I wonder why?

#1143 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

$250 million in sales vs $20-$25 million in sales. 10x or more the budget.

Easy on $250 million in sales, Beatles Rockband was not really considered a success. Hammonix's say life time it got to 3 million in sales but I think that number is drastically inflated. It had 1.9 million by the end of 2009, no idea how they ever sold another million after that. They probably pulled 100 million in revenue. You are very correct though it's dev budget was probable 25-50 million probably 25 times what Stern will spend. Plus Harmonix payed licensing on top of that. Beatles Rockband was basically the death of the entire music gaming genre, many considered it a flop. I was very surprised Stern gambled on it. I was at EA at the time (still am) and everyone was so hyped for it, expected it to be a monster hit, Rockband was killing it at the time. It barely crawled its way to profitability.

#1144 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Easy on $250 million in sales, Beatles Rockband was not really considered a success. Hammonix's say life time it got to 3 million in sales but I think that number is drastically inflated. It had 1.9 million by the end of 2009, no idea how they ever sold another million after that. They probably pulled 100 million in revenue. You are very correct though it's dev budget was probable 25-50 million probably 25 times what Stern will spend. Plus Harmonix payed licensing on top of that. Beatles Rockband was basically the death of the entire music gaming genre, many considered it a flop. I was very surprised Stern gambled on it. I was at EA at the time (still am) and everyone was so hyped for it, expected it to be a monster hit, Rockband was killing it at the time. It barely crawled its way to profitability.

Regardless of what the actual vs inflated numbers were (I hated BRB), the POINT was only that BRB had a MUCH larger budget than B-itch, and therefore a LOT more music.

#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You don't price your product based on costs... costs dictate the minimums you must cover... not what you sell at. You price your product based on how you market it... ensuring you can cover costs and expected margins.
Until deeproot is transparent on what they are actually building - you shouldn't use them as any landmark on successful product strategies.

Obviously I did not mean based on costs alone. My statement was meant to be broad not narrow. I just meant that I would like to see the games each be priced individually rather than forcing designers to limit the BOM to a particular number.

If one designer thinks they have a great design that could be sold for $6000 and another designer has a great design that could be sold for $8000 (obviously factoring in the businesses profit demands), then let them build them that way.

#1146 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

If you want to get reductive, there are very few pins that don't recycle ideas. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Like Metallica and GotG are extremely similar, but they're both good games.
Like even with The Beatles, yes it's Seawitch with some tweaks, but it's still pretty different than anything Stern has made in years. Seawitch is a good game and there are some interesting changes for The Beatles.
I think Deadpool is a mediocre game, but it's not because it reused the sword ramp from LOTR (that's a cool ramp!)

Easy on calling GotG a good game. It's not in the same universe as Metallica. Layout, I'll give you that. The game? Not even close. GotG is still a mess, and will probably be an X-Men casuality, meaning even if they DO eventually make it a good game, it will forever be tainted with the stink of the first year out when it sucked balls.

And I was just replying to the post that called Cesspool original. It's not. Clunky pin (it's a Gomez!) with a number of recycled ideas.

#1147 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

They were a huge influence on the Beatles.

Sometimes they would record the "same song" but with totally different meanings.

Pleasant Valley Sunday and Penny Lane came out at the same time and are both the same theme; observations about the simple town around them.

While the Beatles are idealistic, the Monkees are cynical under a saccharine sweet glaze.

#1148 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I just meant that I would like to see the games each be priced individually rather than forcing designers to limit the BOM to a particular number.

This is counter to most pricing and business thinking. You don't want to price individual items in the same family based on their ACTUAL value... all you do is end up cutting out your margin you are normally expecting to pickup across the board. You use pricing to distinguish what you WANT someone to think the value is. Normally there is a competitive angle there too.. but that piece is less 1 : 1 in the pinball market today.

I'm sure Stern is setting their BOM based on what they think the market will tolerate for the product. Benefits for 'more profits' come from volume. Raising the BOM is a risk... because any failure will be that much more of an impact. Given Gary's accounting background... you can see how they would easily follow this line of thinking. You have a target selling price... build the best you can within that.. because the market may not like your 'no limits' pin and we've lost even MORE money on that flop.. vs a flop that stuck to the target costs.

#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is counter to most pricing and business thinking. You don't want to price individual items in the same family based on their ACTUAL value... all you do is end up cutting out your margin you are normally expecting to pickup across the board. You use pricing to distinguish what you WANT someone to think the value is. Normally there is a competitive angle there too.. but that piece is less 1 : 1 in the pinball market today.
I'm sure Stern is setting their BOM based on what they think the market will tolerate for the product. Benefits for 'more profits' come from volume. Raising the BOM is a risk... because any failure will be that much more of an impact. Given Gary's accounting background... you can see how they would easily follow this line of thinking. You have a target selling price... build the best you can within that.. because the market may not like your 'no limits' pin and we've lost even MORE money on that flop.. vs a flop that stuck to the target costs.

It just seems like just about every successful item that sells has different options at different price points. From paper products to cell phones to cars, they all have competing of different priced products (different models) from the same manufacturers.

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

even if they DO eventually make it a good game, it will forever be tainted with the stink of the first year out when it sucked balls

I agree Stern shoots themselves in the foot with pinheads and collectors when they ship before the code is feature complete, yet it's dumb to let old software bring your opinion down on the machine as it exists today. Batman 66 was shit when it came out and now it's one of the best Stern games. GotG was boring when it came out, and now it's a solid game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.