(Topic ID: 223791)

The Beatles Ka-Pow/Stern Pinball (CONFIRMED) pictures and videos..

By ASOA

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,763 posts
  • 460 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who is in on The Beatles Pinball?”

• Yes! 59 votes
    9%
  • No! 531 votes
    80%
  • Maybe? 70 votes
    11%

(660 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3677 (resized).jpg
IMG_3345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193738 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193735 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190724_193711 (resized).jpg
66B6B38F-1131-44F5-B099-DB88923705A0 (resized).jpeg
C7DED5D0-D5B8-4EA2-A07F-F265EDBD814E (resized).jpeg
613BB3A7-5F6C-4036-A45D-21FCF6A17E7F (resized).jpeg
FBFB1FAF-4A7E-4EA4-B6E5-341054AC3D86 (resized).jpeg
345D99BE-6EE6-465E-8E00-1B6F6932DB1F (resized).jpeg
031A6E8D-9F1D-4A3B-9A2E-6145E644C259 (resized).jpeg
Today (resized).PNG
40 days ago (resized).jpg
80 days ago (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 76.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Still, what is the target market here? We've all agreed that pinball is gonna hit a wall when all the current collectors retire and move to Florida. This pin targets the retired people. Do they even buy stuff? Traditional marketing says no.

1- we don't agree, people been saying that for 20 years and it's bullshit
2 - the target, like beyond obviously, is well-heeled Beatles fans (retired or otherwise), of which there are millions.

Weird to see you playing dumb on this.

#902 5 years ago

I love the Beatles, but this was never a good idea. The best chance would have been late psychedelic era: helter skelter multiball and shaker, the long and winding road ramp to different modes, tomorrow never knows hallucinogenic hologram shot-or lucy in the sky, or strawberry fields, etc. They went for the cute nostalgia, which is super boring. But it always seemed like an unholy union. What's next, Vatican Pinball? Mother Theresa madness!

#903 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

I'm sure this machine won't be cheap but bang for buck there doesn't seem to be anything there on the playfield except drop targets a simming disc and pop bumpers and slingshots. How can they be ok with turning out a machine like this and truly match it up to what is in other pinball machines made these days.

This game is not targeted at the "bang-for-the-buck" crowd.

I could say the same for many of today's games though.

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I think I’ll stick with the Franchi art

I think the point was this is what could have been...

The last 60 seconds are perfection IMO...

#906 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Pinside is its usual predictable self. LOL at least I am getting used to it.
What we knew a week ago:
- Beatles pinball is coming from Kapow and built by Stern
- It's a boutique game, limited release, not taking the place of a Stern cornerstone game
- It's going to be expensive and aimed at rich old Beatles collectors
- It's not going to have a coin door or be allowed on location
- It will have campy 60's artwork
- It will be a Gomez re-skinned Sea Witch with a spinning disk added
- If you don't like classic early SS games, you won't suddenly like this one
- It is not targeted at the Pinside or Expo crowd
- The usual haters on Pinside are tripping over each other dog piling on every aspect of this game.
- Stern doesn't care about what people on Pinside say about this game. The Munsters is for them.
What we know now:
- Beatles pinball is coming from Kapow and built by Stern
- It's a boutique game, limited release, not taking the place of a Stern cornerstone game
- It's going to be expensive and aimed at rich old Beatles collectors
- It's not going to have a coin door or be allowed on location
- It will have campy 60's artwork
- It will be a Gomez re-skinned Sea Witch with a spinning disk added
- If you don't like classic early SS games, you won't suddenly like this one
- It is not targeted at the Pinside or Expo crowd
- The usual haters on Pinside are tripping over each other dog piling on every aspect of this game.
- Stern doesn't care about what people on Pinside say about this game. The Munsters is for them.

Yeah but, doesn’t mean we have to like it.

Did anybody else hear the Kaminkow interview (podcast) where he alluded to “the greatest shot in pinball”? He said it in relation to one of his next titles. The one with the most expensive license in history. Said we’d be “blown away”.

WTF was he talking about?

#907 5 years ago

They're probably releasing this show reel a couple of weeks early via the Beatles official merchandise portal, asking for expressions of interests, and seeing how Pinside / other forums react, and polling distributors to see how many expressions of interests & deposits are taken.

Because ... they haven't set a final price yet. Based on the above data, they'll set the highest price they think they can get away with, and I'm sure they're hoping they can get away with $50k for the Diamond SKUs.

#908 5 years ago

I think the pin looks super fun, but I have one question you might weigh in on.
To me, when I saw the art for the back glass, it looks very pixelated - like an enlarged photoshop file, rather than a smooth artwork.
See the freeze frame below (a bit blurry where I paused the video, but hopefully you see what I'm seeing.) Or, I might be wrong! I mostly
see it on the faces.

Can this be right for a 10K +or- machine?

beatles_pin_pixel (resized).pngbeatles_pin_pixel (resized).png
#909 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They're probably releasing this show reel a couple of weeks early via the Beatles official merchandise portal, asking for expressions of interests, and seeing how Pinside / other forums react, and polling distributors to see how many expressions of interests & deposits are taken.
Because ... they haven't set a final price yet. Based on the above data, they'll set the highest price they think they can get away with, and I'm sure they're hoping they can get away with $50k for the Diamond SKUs.

If it's on the Beatles merchandise site, they (Stern) don't care about Pinside.

#910 5 years ago

I admire Stern for basically saying “F-you, Pinside” as they try to navigate to the blue ocean of the pinball market while sitting back and watching Pinside erupt into madness.

#911 5 years ago

Why no picture of the LCD?

Looks like it was cropped out?

Is there definitely an LCD?

#912 5 years ago

The art colors really nail the JPop color schemes.

#913 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I admire Stern for basically saying “F-you, Pinside” as they try to navigate to the blue ocean of the pinball market while sitting back and watching Pinside erupt into madness.

My guess is this is Stern making the books look as good as possible before the angels get out. ???

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Who knows if this is even going through distributors. Supreme didn't.

As far as I can tell it'll be sold through the Beatles Store.

Pinside needs to come to grips with reality.

#915 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why no picture of the LCD?
Looks like it was cropped out?
Is there definitely an LCD?

There is. That last 'it won't be long' animated shot is from the game display.

#916 5 years ago

I've heard that if you buy the Diamond Editition for $50K, the parts are shipped to your door and Ringo shows up a few hours later to help you put it together.

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

´

ringo-starr---mini-biography (resized).jpgringo-starr---mini-biography (resized).jpg

#917 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL... Is "Pinside" in general not allowed to think this machine is brazen cash-grab? Not sure how you believe you've become the umpire of reality.....

#918 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think distributors are selling them Trent from tilt amusement posted on Facebook that he is taking pre orders.

#919 5 years ago

Not sure what’s more disappointing - the Beatles, or Star Wars.
Ps... please Lord don’t allow stern the license to Harry Potter

#920 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

LOL... Is "Pinside" in general not allowed to think this machine is brazen cash-grab? Not sure how you believe you've become the umpire of reality.....

The reality of the pinball market possibly being beyond pinside is what thousands of people here refuse to accept.

You'd think after Supreme people would have figured this out. But you'd be wrong.

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Just realized something. In the video it shows Diamond Edition 5 of 100.
Bet the first 4 goto Paul, Ringo and the widows. So only 96 left for us OH MY GAWD WHERE'S MUH CHECKBOOK?
Re early music, it actually fits pinball better than the later hippy stuff. And they can cue in screaming girls like the crowds in AC/DC to jack up the energy.
Still, what is the target market here? We've all agreed that pinball is gonna hit a wall when all the current collectors retire and move to Florida. This pin targets the retired people. Do they even buy stuff? Traditional marketing says no.

Oh you know Stern is setting aside 1-4 for the whales willing to pay even more for that plaque.

#922 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I think the point was this is what could have been...
The last 60 seconds are perfection IMO...

I’m with you, unfortunately pinball will never see animation like that. I would love to see Franchi do that type of art for the machine as well, but I’m pretty confident that Beatles group would have said no way.

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

If it's on the Beatles merchandise site, they (Stern) don't care about Pinside.

Of course they do, to an extent. Its main market is definitely not hobbyists - which people were poo-pooing when I said that previously - but they'll still need to rely on them for *some* of the sales. Forums and general reaction will to some extent influence how many people put down deposits or express interest with distributors.

You're mad if you think they've set such high prices in stone, with a large production run (it's nearly 2k units). If it doesn't look like the demand is there, they'll lower them. The worst thing from their perspective would be not selling out, or getting very close to, quite quickly.

#924 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The reality of the pinball market possibly being beyond pinside is what thousands of people here refuse to accept.
You'd think after Supreme people would have figured this out. But you'd be wrong.

For sure, I'm not (and probably most of Pinside aren't) the target audience for this thing...
But, it is a pinball machine, Stern is the biggest manufacturer, and these are the kind of things we talk about here.

So, a bunch of people who own and buy pinball machines are talking about a pinball machine. That's it.
Someone will probably buy these, I'm sure.

And Supreme sucked too.

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

The machine is built for Beatles Collectors. Not pinheads. This thing will sell very well through Beatles catalogs and websites.
Move along. Nothing to see here. This wasn’t meant for us.
Clearly showing this right after expo but before the holidays makes the intent from Stern clear as day.

I agree with this. Stern seems to be going after Beatles' collectors more so than pinball collectors. Another good indicator is that they obviously could have shown this game off at Expo, but decided not to. I guess they figure that by moving the game up before the holidays, they can net some extra sales from high end collectors who have more money than they know what to do with. Still, I wonder if they might hurt Munsters' sales a bit by delaying it and allowing MBr to suck up "monster" buyers for the rest of the year without any competition.

#926 5 years ago

Does this even have an LCD or DMD, based on the video I don't think it does. People expecting Rockband and Stern delivers this. This is about what I expected but Stern really needs to sort our their marketing and PR. They are just so disconnected.

#927 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Does this even have an LCD or DMD, based on the video I don't think it does. People expecting Rockband and Stern delivers this. This is about what I expected but Stern really needs to sort our their marketing and PR. They are just so disconnected.

It has the standard LCD. The "Won't be long" animated screen at the end is from the display.

#928 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It has the standard LCD. The "Won't be long" animated screen at the end is from the display.

But will it have an LCD screen? Thanks in advance.....

#929 5 years ago

Just for grins, let's compare the Star Wars features to the Beatles:

Star Wars
Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (2), Slingshots (3), Standup targets (9), 5-bank drop targets (1), Horseshoe lane with single and dual up-posts (1), Spinning Targets (1), Scoop (1). Ramps (2). Miniature LCD screen on playfield. Lockbar button.

The Beatles
Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (3), Slingshots (2), Standup targets (6), 4-bank drop targets (2), 3-bank drop targets (1), Star Rollovers (2), Spinning targets (2) Magnets (2). Spinning Record.

You lose the easy ramp feeds but the extra flippers give you more ways to interact with the ball.

#930 5 years ago

NM

#931 5 years ago

Call outs sounded similar to guy who did them on RS?

#932 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

2 - the target, like beyond obviously, is well-heeled Beatles fans (retired or otherwise), of which there are millions.

Elvis merch is dead as a doornail and he's only 10 years older than Beatles.

How is it dumb to suggest a target demo is too old?

#933 5 years ago

They should change the game slogan to "coming soon to a Costco near you" …..

#934 5 years ago

You can always tell the people who have never stayed in the Philippines

#935 5 years ago

what is the price?

I don't think there is a chance they'll sell 1964 of these unless the lower edition is like a Stern pro price.

#936 5 years ago

how come you cant search you tube for the video and find it and it is not on sterns you tube page anymore?

you can only get to it from previous links

and is shows as unlisted on the video

are they already trying to hide it?

#937 5 years ago

I think some heads have exploded when this turd dropped funny stuff

#938 5 years ago

Spoke with an extremely reliable source.
This game will have a coin door.
One small victory fellas.

#939 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Beatles was never for 2018. 1st quarter 2019 as already stated.

you ever go back to the start of these threads and find funny stuff people state as facts lol

#940 5 years ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

To me, when I saw the art for the back glass, it looks very pixelated - like an enlarged photoshop file, rather than a smooth artwork.
See the freeze frame below (a bit blurry where I paused the video, but hopefully you see what I'm seeing.) Or, I might be wrong! I mostly
see it on the faces.

Can this be right for a 10K +or- machine?

It's a deliberate design choice. The technique is called half-toning and it adds a fun pop-art comic book vibe to the portraits. It worked out OK for Warhol and Lichtenstein I guess

#941 5 years ago

I get that they're mainly going after The Beatles collectors, but it still seems so arrogant for Stern to say they'll make 1,964 (I guess up to that number, I kinda doubt they'll make it there unless distributors are fine with these sitting for a long time and/or Stern reaches out to high end furniture stores to buy stock).

Like people complain about Supreme, but that was a limited 200 machine run that Supreme bought upfront. I wonder how long it will take Stern sell nearly 2k when by most accounts 2k seems like a good run for any machine, let alone one with such limited appeal.

I think Stern fucked up the marketing on this in so many ways. The video was poorly made, there doesn't seem to be any media buzz around it yet, and I'm really curious how Stern intends to get the marketing message to Beatles collectors. And no matter how much they insist it will be limited, 1,964 machines is not a limited collectable. They'll probably sell the most expensive games, make the investment back, and slowly work on selling the rest of the machines. I wonder if the license includes a hard time-limit on when all of these machines need to be built and sold by. Like if they don't have to rush production and shove a bunch of stock though the channel, I can see them taking years to sell that many games.

#942 5 years ago

Also hearing 7500 for gold. Other models are still TBD

#943 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

It's a deliberate design choice. The technique is called half-toning and it adds a fun pop-art comic book vibe to the portraits. It worked out OK for Warhol and Lichtenstein I guess

That makes sense! Lichtenstein is so much more deliberate in style that it becomes a "thing." I get that this too could be deliberate.

#944 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

you ever go back to the start of these threads and find funny stuff people state as facts lol

I got reamed when I said December release. I could not even count all of the down votes. Turns out I was pretty accurate.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I got reamed when I said December release. I could not even count all of the down votes. Turns out I was pretty accurate.

You did good.

Now: head down, ass up

#946 5 years ago

It's official Stern:

Jump The Shark (resized).pngJump The Shark (resized).png
#947 5 years ago

Beatles store on the Web is saying Nov. 6 release date.

#948 5 years ago

Seriously? Scum.

#949 5 years ago

I can’t go back and read 950 posts and I’m obviously late to the party but has anyone commented on the flip in the video around 35 seconds? It’s the worst flip to put in a video ever! The flipper barely tips the ball as it’s rolling by.

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are the stores lined with beatles stuff made every month? No

What collectors pay 20k premiums for modern licensed stuff?

The collectors market want authentic period stuff... not paying 20k for licensed merch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/19?hl=slghokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.