(Topic ID: 228691)

The Beatles - Beatlemania official owners and fan club!

By Psw757

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,094 posts
  • 239 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Mitoska
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240412-132250~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240412-132252 (resized).png
6A7A3CE6-C367-4DF9-A933-BC8E1BEF8C97 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4095 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1143 (resized).JPG
IMG_1144 (resized).JPG
IMG_1145 (resized).JPG
IMG_1142 (resized).jpg
5740519F-BE1C-435D-BF55-8FEFAC6BD961 (resized).jpeg
Beatles speaker lights (resized).jpg
IMG_3171 (resized).JPG
IMG_3168 (resized).JPG
IMG_3170 (resized).JPG
IMG_3167 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZNET.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#256 5 years ago

Quick impressions of The Beatles target customer:

I suspect that I’m among this game’s target customer.  I’m a 59 year-old, longtime pinball enthusiast who prefers EMs to modern games, but who genuinely enjoys all things pinball/arcade.  At my age, I’m just old enough to remember huddling in front of the black & white Sylvania t.v. with my parents and siblings to watch the Fab Four perform on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964.  Evidently, 73 million viewers tuned in that evening to create a moment of television history.  I’m also not so old that I’m ready to downsize.  Indeed, two of my three kids are still teenagers at home and my wife is 50.

I never thought that a Beatles pinball machine would be made in my lifetime.  Consequently, I concede that I want to like the game and that my objectivity ought to be viewed in that context.  My favorite British Invasion band is The Zombies (hits include:  Time of the Season, She’s Not There, Tell Her No).  Needless to say, nobody will ever make a game based on The Zombies.

Despite my affection for the Beatles theme, I would not spend $8K for a game that my family would not play nor for a game that failed to appeal to my pinball sensibilities.  Thus, if The Beatles had been a ramp-laden, deep ruleset modern creation, with long ball times, I would have been far less inclined to purchase one.  Perhaps that concept for another Beatles game is in the offing, with a smash your Beatles LPs mode, after John Lennon declares, in a 1966 interview, that the band is more popular than you-know-who.  Perhaps “A Day In the Life” or “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” will punctuate a skill shot from the plunger in a future game.  Perhaps a yellow submarine will navigate through a subterranean playfield in a reprised Beatles edition. So many great songs and so much iconic pop and rock history makes the Beatles theme ripe for a variety of pinball concepts.  Nevertheless, I think that Ka-Pow/Stern thought through their target customer in designing this game. They opted for mostly early hit songs and an art package which evokes the frenzy of Beatlemania.

Years ago, I bought a miniature fantasy Beatles pinball machine, shown here, imagining what a real Beatles game might be. In a couple of days, I’m excited that I’ll have a The Beatles Gold to play in my line-up.  It won't be long, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. . .I’ll chime in again after the honeymoon stage wears off. This might take awhile, however. It's possible that this honeymoon may be a long and winding road.

20190326_194055 (resized).jpg20190326_194055 (resized).jpg
#258 5 years ago

I installed the Mezelmods plastic protector set, which protects the lower 4 plastics. The 1st photo shows a "before and after" side-by-side comparison in which the left original sling plastic is unprotected whereas the right sling is equipped with the Mezelmods protector.

As depicted, when I installed the new protector on the right sling, I removed the 2 large metal washer protectors. Also, I replaced the small surface metal washers with tiny plastic transparent ones. The new appearance better displays the graphics with a green hue and removes the unsightly opaque metal washers.

I did the same swap with the lower plastics. The other 3 photos show the game after the complete swap. These protectors are thick and well-constructed and I recommend them, along with others in this thread.

20190329_221802 (resized).jpg20190329_221802 (resized).jpg20190329_230209 (resized).jpg20190329_230209 (resized).jpg20190329_221430 (resized).jpg20190329_221430 (resized).jpg20190329_221533 (resized).jpg20190329_221533 (resized).jpg
#259 5 years ago

My 17 year-old daughter likes Beatles Gold. Indeed, she noticed herself among the fans!

20190329_233407 (resized).jpg20190329_233407 (resized).jpg20190329_233247 (resized).jpg20190329_233247 (resized).jpg
#261 5 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I wonder if Sir Paul ever cringes about the line "She was just seventeen, you know what I mean..."

Right up there with: "I'd rather see you dead little girl. . ." in Run For Your Life. Lennon expressed regret for that lyric.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Finally got my air ball kit from Stern.
Surprised it’s more than just a plastic, did you all have issues requiring that metal deflector shield? Seems overkill.

May I ask how long it took to receive? I recently sent a request via an online service/tech inquiry on the Stern website. I'm wondering if I will receive an acknowledgement or simply the deflector in the mail.

#281 5 years ago

For Beatles fans, like us, there's a film (entitled: YESTERDAY) on the horizon which looks to be funny. Below is the premise and the trailer:

"Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He’s about to become a very big deal. From Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Richard Curtis, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually and Notting Hill, comes a rock-n-roll comedy about music, dreams, friendship, and the long and winding road that leads to the love of your life."

1 month later
#327 4 years ago
Quoted from ernierains:

From speakerlightkits.com
Type 12 Speaker Light Kits.

Just to clarify, am I correct that each kit includes a pair of lighting equipment so that one kit is good for one game?

Also, can anyone post a link for recommended upgraded speakers for The Beatles?

2 weeks later
#344 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

How is the shaker integration in the game? Debating on adding one, but I don’t feel like I’m missing it..

I like that the shaker activates upon completing each skill shot.

1 week later
#363 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Has anyone designed replacement cards for the apron?

Yes. See post #332 above.

1 week later
#366 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Likely a sticker on edge. Also different wood used.

I just checked my Beatles playfield for bubbling, having about 250 plays on the playmeter. Thus far, I am not finding any defects. Below are 2 photos of high traffic areas.

Also, I took a photo of the manufacturer's markings on the playfield's edge. Perhaps someone here can translate those markings.

Last, I posted an apron photo with custom cards installed. Next up is to install the speaker upgrade kit and custom speaker light mod.

20190622_154502 (resized).jpg20190622_154502 (resized).jpg20190622_154644 (resized).jpg20190622_154644 (resized).jpg20190701_213643 (resized).jpg20190701_213643 (resized).jpg20190701_213730 (resized).jpg20190701_213730 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#373 4 years ago

While I prefer the gold edition's cabinet art over that of the platinum and diamond versions, the platinum model's translite is my favorite of the three.

Solution? I swapped my gold game's translite for a platinum one.

Mad Amusements recently had a couple of platinum translites on eBay so I bought one. I like the way it mimics the back panel's art style.

I suppose that this swap makes my game a platinum imposter. However, there's no mistaking the gold rails, gold legs and gold emblem on the apron.

20190726_163933 (resized).jpg20190726_163933 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#374 4 years ago

Speakerlights.com kit and Flipper Fidelity upgraded backbox and cabinet speakers installed this evening. I'm very pleased with these mods.

I particularly like the optional remote which causes the light show to respond to sound.
20190803_223809 (resized).jpg20190803_223809 (resized).jpg20190803_223941 (resized).jpg20190803_223941 (resized).jpg20190803_201735 (resized).jpg20190803_201735 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#527 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Mine is a gold but I put the platinum translight in it. The gold translight is basically a repeat of the art in the middle of the playfield while the platinum is a repeat of the art on the sides of the cabinet. Since you can't see the sides of the cabinet easily in a line up I figured I'd put platinum translight on mine. I'd love to have a mirrored back glass/translight but that was only available on the diamond version and I haven't seen one for sale.

My thoughts exactly. I also installed a platinum translite in my gold edition game.

#532 4 years ago

I just installed the Laseriffic flipper decals and the Tilt Graphics, Inc. shooter plate (both purchased from Cointaker). I think that they look good.

20200101_154623 (resized).jpg20200101_154623 (resized).jpg20200101_154634 (resized).jpg20200101_154634 (resized).jpg20200101_154850 (resized).jpg20200101_154850 (resized).jpg20200101_154909 (resized).jpg20200101_154909 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#554 4 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Joined the club. When are toppers being made?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There's a distributor on eBay who sold his upcoming allotment of toppers. He still has one available, about $419 + $33 shipping + tax.

2 months later
#626 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I just put a deposit down on a new Beatles gold. I'm super excited! Hopefully will be a fun distraction from all the depressing crap going on in the world. Aside from the Stern airball protectors, any recommendations on protectors, mylar, and other mods? How do people like the topper?

I recommend the speaker light mod from speakerlightkits.com, the Flipper Fidelity enhanced speakers, a shaker motor of your choice, and the slingshot plastic protectors from mezelmods.

The Stern airball protector kit is needed.

I also added a shooter rod plate enhancement, flipper decals, custom score cards, the lunchbox and turntable ornaments. I have a topper on order.

Earlier in this thread, I posted photos or otherwise discuss each of these items. I agree that the stock game is great, plus the airball mod, without anything added.

Nevertheless, the mezelmod plastic protectors are inexpensive and they improve the appearance (add a green hue and remove a black area at the posts). Congratulations! The Beatles is tremendous fun!

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Totally valid point. And gold is also really sharp looking. My initial beef was that the gold translite is an exact clone of the middle of the playfield, so when you play you look at it twice. I’ll probably swap it out from time to time to keep the lineup feeling fresh while I’m in lockdown

I share your sentiment, which is why I, too, swapped my Gold version translite for a Platinum version translite.

1 month later
#745 3 years ago

Topper installed today on my Beatles Gold (with Platinum version translite). . .super easy. I like it and I typically don't like toppers.

20200616_213659 (resized).jpg20200616_213659 (resized).jpg20200616_213832 (resized).jpg20200616_213832 (resized).jpg20200616_213937 (resized).jpg20200616_213937 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#803 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

So got my topper today. Not quite sure how this made it through quality control......[quoted image]

White album version or perhaps Nowhere Man edition?

2 months later
#879 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't get the Platinum/Diamond editions...there is absolutely nothing compelling about them (except rarity). The Gold looks the best IMHO, and offers precisely the same gameplay and features. The only difference is armor color and artwork. At least with Stern's BM66 Super LE, you get a fancy topper and some other goodies IIRC.
One day, this game will get the respect it deserves. Having a modernized 80's vibe/gameplay is awesome. I love the 80's games and still own a couple, but most of them are beat and hard to maintain for most people.

I suspect that the platinum and diamond edition "pricing experiment" was fueled by the successful sales of Stern's ridiculously priced Supreme pinball machine.

Stern has been unable to replicate that pricing phenomenon with its fab four upcharged versions because us old-timer fans of the band are arguably less motivated by branding and more drawn to substance. We recognize the value of the gold model.

The more limited production numbers of the platinum (250) and diamond (100) and the diamond's crystal glass backglass simply don't justify the large pricing differentials. The gold too is limited in production, 1614 units. All models have nice quality trim, albeit different colors.

I very much like the 1964 Beatles invasion theme and I play my gold version often. Nevertheless, I can imagine a late-sixties Beatles theme in which a collector edition adds a subterranean yellow submarine feature or something substantial to attract buyers above the $10K mark.

#882 3 years ago

Listening to Sirius XM's The Beatles channel recently, I was reminded that Revolution was the B-side of Hey Jude. Hard days night to imagine that anomaly.

2 months later
#931 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

Full disclosure: I signed on to buy a Platinum Beatles today. So, money is down to hold it and I am getting it. Also, I am a HUGE Beatles fan. They are without a doubt my favorite band ever. Well, it's bigger than that, but this is a pinball site and not a music one.
Anyway...
For those of you who have had this table in your stable for a time (some of you I am assuming for a couple years), how does it feel over time? I am hopeful that it remains fun and interesting in the long term. I have NEVER bought a NIB table and likely never will again, but I just can't help it. I have played it a couple times on location, but I always feel that it is so much more fun in a home where call outs are louder and focus is easier. Also, I already own 4 other tables so it won't be my only pin.
Also hoping that this is one that kind of draws in casual visitors who normally wouldn't get too excited to head to the game room.
Can't wait to hear peoples thoughts. Cheers, Pinsiders.
Tim in Motown

I have had a Beatles Gold in my line-up for 2 years. I find it to be an extremely well executed design in terms of both theme integration and gameplay.

It's among Stern's best modern (post-DMD) games, in my view. As an EM fan, I'm particularly partial to drop targets and spinners. Guests of all ages and all skill levels to my gameroom universally love the game.

I recommend Flipper Fidelity's enhanced speakers (or alternative enhanced speakers). Additionally, I like the shaker motor and topper. I also added the speaker screen light mod, plastic protectors and a few other less significant mods.

The shot variety is plentiful and the vectors are very satisfying. Improvements to the original Sea Witch design are each the result of smart tweaking. Add to the foregoing a wonderful video and pleasing overall art package and you have a game with longterm appeal.

4 weeks later
#954 3 years ago
Quoted from EM-fan:

Just added a story about modding my "The Beatles Gold".
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/em-fan/stories/my-first-new-game-and-how-to-make-it-perfect-a-modding-story
Looking forward to your feedback and comments!

My thoughts:

First tier mods:

*Flipper Fidelity enhanced speaker set of 3
*Speakerlights.com speaker colored lights with sound activation
*Mezelmods slingshot plastic protectors (adds green hue and removes black eyesore at posts)
*Stern factory airball protector kit
*Aftermarket shaker (superior to Stern's)
*Stern factory topper
*Alternative Beatles album flash drive
*Purple silicone flipper rubbers

Second tier mods:

*Tilt Graphics, Inc. (from Cointaker) custom shooter plate
*Laseriffic flipper decals (from Cointaker)
*Custom score cards
*lunchbox, turntable, guitar ornaments
*physical knocker
*swap Gold translite for Platinum translite

I like the silent CPU fan suggestion. Any vendor recommendations for such a fan upgrade?

1 month later
#1017 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

When I started calling around to get my Platinum in February, I was told over and over again by several different distributors in different parts of the country that sales of this table were slow for a long time after the release in 2018. However, in the last 6-9 months for whatever reason, they started to sell a lot more often and were quickly running out.
I ended up putting a down payment on a Platinum with a distributor and when I emailed about paying the rest and taking delivery I was told that he had "accidentally" sold my Platinum and would just send me a Gold instead. I found a Platinum elsewhere and got my deposit back from the guy trying to sell me the Gold. While calling around to try to find another Platinum, I was told more than once "just take the Gold that is being offered to you, there aren't a lot of NIB left for that title."

I installed a platinum model translite on my gold edition Beatles at a cost of about $100. Apart from the cabinet art and silver trim, the only difference with the platinum is its production ceiling of 250.

I congratulate you for acquiring a great game. The value of that 250 limit is anyone's guess.

When the title was first released, a few platinums and diamonds fetched premium prices. Last year, platinums were selling for only 10% to 20% more than golds.

The diamonds feature the crystal glass backglass and are limited to 100 units.

Stern tried to replicate pricing with The Beatles as it achieved with Supreme. In my opinion, the customer base for The Beatles is largely older and more sophisticated and few buyers could justify the significantly higher price-points of the platinums and diamonds.

2 months later
#1064 2 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

looking to add a Diamond Edition Beatles to my collection if anyone has a lead
thanks

Here's one recently listed in the Pinside marketplace (in my backyard, Philly). Inexpensive for a diamond version. Nevertheless, I think that the gold edition is the only sensible version. To each his own.

Screenshot_20210726-203258_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210726-203258_Chrome (resized).jpg
3 months later
#1156 2 years ago

High score last night after years of mediocrity!

20211105_011612 (resized).jpg20211105_011612 (resized).jpg20211105_011616 (resized).jpg20211105_011616 (resized).jpg20211105_011625 (resized).jpg20211105_011625 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1209 2 years ago
Quoted from etr104:

Just a couple dumb questions. I'm looking for a game to compliment my JJP GNR machine. My wife is a big Beatles fan. What is the difference between the Gold, Platinum and Diamond versions of this game? Are Platinum/Diamond still even available or is everything sold out except for Gold?
Is the Gold version of the game numbered on a plaque or something?

The gold version is the bargain. All 3 versions together are limited to 1,964 units, 250 of which are platinum, 100 are diamonds and the remainder are golds.

Each version has different cabinet and backglass art. All versions are equally nice with respect to cabinet art, in my opinion.

Platinum and diamonds have a plaque (big deal for some, I suppose). The legs, lockdown bar and backbox trim are a different color than on the gold version. Again, the gold color looks as good or better, to my eye.

The diamonds have a crystal backglass as opposed to a translite on the other versions.

The playfield and programming are identical on all versions.

Apart from the notion that limited production adds value, there's no justification for a price differential above the gold version beyond a few hundred dollars. Yet, some platinums have sold for $10K - $16K and diamonds for $30K+ during the early release. More recently, enthusiasts have realized that these artificial "elevated versions" possess no added intrinsic value, a recognition which has deflated the price of those versions and elevated the best value version (i.e. the gold).

If you buy a gold and prefer the platinum translite (like me), you can replace the translite for about $100.

At about $8K or less, the gold is the way to go. Get an aftermarket shaker motor, enhanced speakers and the speaker light mod for more fun. This thread reviews all of the mods..

I hear that the cabinets are constructed with Norwegian wood. ;>

3 weeks later
#1247 2 years ago

Has anyone uncovered the setting to activate the secret holiday greetings?

1 month later
#1330 2 years ago

If only the great soothsayer (not), Paul Jones, could have lived to see a Beatles pinball machine. His head would explode in puzzlement.

Screenshot_20220217-174733_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220217-174733_Facebook (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,282 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZNET.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-beatlemania-official-owners-and-fan-club?tu=ZNET and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.